Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 3 days on Atripla  (Read 9014 times)

Offline pblue777

3 days on Atripla
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:02:09 pm »
Hi Ive been reading all your post regarding Atripla, since I was getting ready to begin treatment. I found it very helpfull to see and read what to expect. I must say that I was very nervous and had so many questions. The first night I decided to take it with an alprazolam and found I slept pretty well, maybe a dream or two. Woke up with a headache, but nothing too bad. 2 night was a bit diffrent , woke up after a dream and could not fall back asleep, my head kept on thinking. Woke up feeling a bit hungover. I must say, that once I wake up and drink my coffee i feel pretty good and ready to take on the world. I know its to soon to know, but if this is all the side effects I'm gonna get, I'm feeling pretty optimistic!
would love to hear tips and tricks to kick the odd dizzy feeling...if that's possible

Offline pblue777

Re: 3 days on Atripla
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:07:32 pm »
PS. I had another question: Once these side effects kinda disspaear are they gone for good?

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:09:58 pm »
The first few weeks may be dizzy on-and-off. The best recommendation I have is keep a good 3-4 hour buffer of no food before taking the pill (the mere 2hrs was not enough for me at first..)

Once side effects subside, they're mostly gone (you may, on occasion, still feel a lil groggy/weak or have some sleeping problems, but very rarely).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:12:13 pm by AboutToStart »

Offline pblue777

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:16:01 pm »
Thanks!!
Ive been eating dinner around 4pm, so I can take pill around 9pm...but I know it wont always be as planned!
Good luck to you as well!

Offline justin

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:29:26 pm »
My wife has been on Atripla for about a year & a half now.
At first she had the same as you..ie: slight hang over & even got nausea due to the dreams & perhaps eating too late. Things that are high fat like ice cream seemed the worst.
But after 1 week all was well & has been ever since. In fact she can now even eat things before taking the med & still does fine.

Good Luck !

Offline pblue777

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 02:18:56 pm »
Hey Justin, thats very promising!! I think my biggest fear is that rash everyone keeps talking about, but trying to shut it out of my mind!!
thanks for the reply!!

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:38:29 pm »
most people don't get the rash (I think only 30%) so think positive!! I didn't get it myself, but even if you do - it normally goes away in a few days and an anti histamine can help releave it. Very rarely it gets so bad that need replace meds.

I agree with justin - fatty (and for me also sugary) foods within the 2hrs buffer makes it worse. I'm only 3 months on the pill so I still adhere to the 2hrs buffer rule. The other week I drank tea just an hour prior to taking the pill, I only had 1 teaspoon of sugar in it and it was enough to feel the "full power of the dark side" aka Atripla..lol, so now I don't eat/drink 2hrs before, and if I do - just don't add any sugar (who needs it anyway...)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:44:03 pm by AboutToStart »

Offline Mdemag

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:56:29 pm »
I've been on atripla for a month now. The only side effects were  feeling bit dizzy first week and a rash day 10. The rash only last 3 days , now I don't even feel the dizziness anymore.  I'm having my blood tests results next monday to see if is really working. Fingers cross! Hope it works for you too !  :D

Offline pblue777

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:35:18 am »
Hi MD:
Thanks for sharing...last night was fine, had a decent night sleep and woke up great! How bad was the rash? Should I get a anti histamine, or wing it out and wait?
Im sure your numbers will be awesome!!!!
Best wishes!

Offline Mdemag

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:41:20 pm »
Hi Pbblue, The rash looked like a sun burn and affected mainly my shoulders and lower back. It wasn't itchy or uncomfortable. If you get the rash you should consult your doctor but don't worry too much in most cases it goes away very quick. I usually take my med  10pm and last meal around 8pm witch is fine. Its been 5 weeks since I started and it feels so normal , don't even get dizzy anymore. My results were great and my cd4 doubled and VL down to 230 from 36.500 in 4 weeks use.
I hope you're doing well!
Best wishes !

Offline pblue777

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 09:28:44 am »
Hey MD:
Thanks for the 411...I must say Im on day 9 and It has really been ok, I sleep pretty well , all I can say is in the morning I feel odd, anxious and a bit tingly...but nothing too bad.
Maybe my coffee adds to the anxious feeling. My doctor says he wants new blood work in Jan. So I have month and a half before I see results.
Thanks for all the support!!

Offline steve770

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 09:44:35 am »

Started Atripla myself 2 days ago, am taking it at 2200 UK time b4 bed, did make me a little drowsy, and did remember turning in bed a 100 times a more during the nite, even thou I was in full sleep, so did I even turn or was it imaginary.
Am transatlantic crew, so 2200 here is 1700 East coast & 1400 West coast, and bang on the times I often check in for flights from the US, so am bit worried about that I have to say. However am off for few days so do hope be in controll a little bit more by time it happens. Will have to wait & see just how I go with that.
The info on here from you guys who have experience with Atripla is great, and good to read on.
Have lost my appetite completely, dont want to really eat breakfast or lunch, but am forcing something in, as am a gym guy to and dont wana loose to much weight etc.

Offline w_b1973

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »
I started Atripla Saturday night. It's my first time on meds. Yesterday I was really sick when I woke up. I think I was dehydrated. Last night I drank a lot of water and I feel fine today.  I like the dreams so far! Couple old girl friends I haven’t seen in years!! LOL Good Luck!! My last labs were 350cd4 and 55,000 VL not gettting tested until January.

Offline ruralguy

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:39 pm »
I've been on it since mid-September.  I went undetectable in only 3 weeks and got past the hang-over feeling in about 2 weeks.  But I wasn't sleeping well.

About 2-3 weeks ago I moved my dose to the morning (moving it ahead 2 hrs a night).  The first thing I do in the morning is take it.  It is 30 minutes+ before I eat anything, soemtimes an hour.  And I don't even notice it.  If I eat it with breakfast I feel kind of stoned or light-headed 2 hours later for a little while but it passes.

My morning routine is very stable day-to-day so this easier and more reliable for me than bedtime.

I do find that since moving it to the morning I sleep better, although I'm not sure why.

tested positive June 19, 2009
7/3/09 vrl 9000 cd4 - 300
8/14/09 cd4 - 350, 20%
started Atripla 9/14/09
10/5/09 vrl undetectable, WOW so fast!
12/28/09 vrl undetectable, CD4 - 615  27% cholesterol down, kidney function normal
4/26/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-600, kidney and liver numbers normal
9/9/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-685
1/3/11 vrl undetectable, CD4-700
all 2011 and Jan 2012 visits vrl undetectable CD4 ranged from 715-645
5/7/2012  vrl undetectable, CD4-615, all liver, kidney, lipids, heart functions, etc normal

On Atripla:  "Your mileage may vary"

Offline steve770

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 03:28:19 pm »

Wow what a huge difference an hour can make !!
If I take the Atripla 2 hours after food, can hardly stand up str8, and feel dreadful,  :o
Yet if I take it 3 hours after food, not a single thing, just as thou had taken a paracetamol,  ;D
Other than that dizzy horrid feeling from it, taking 2 hours later, have had absolutely no other effects
at all thankfully, all seems good so far with me.

Offline pblue777

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 06:49:24 am »
Thanks to all the replies...just an update...Im on day 17 and I hardly notice im taking medication! I feel great, I even feel I have more energy, side effects are gone, no rash, so Im very optimistic Atripla is the right pill for me.
I fell asleep last night, before taking my pill, so I skipped last night....is this very bad? Or will it be ok just this once?
Thanks

Offline jayjax

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 12:26:41 pm »
Hey pblue777,

Although you forgot to take your meds, its very important to get into a routine and try not to forget.  We're all human and forget once in a blue moon.  I've been on Atripla for a little over a year and have missed mine once.  Don't worry about this one but try not to let it become the norm.  It is so important that you keep the levels within your body and remember to take your meds as scheduled.   Within time, this will become a habit in taking your meds on schedule, rather than forgetting.

You might want to associate taking your meds with a daily routine.  For me, I take my meds after brushing my teeth before bedtime (I'm usually in bed before 11 pm).  If I'm out late, I take a pill with me and remember to take it at my normal time.

You also might want to get a pill box (they come in all sizes).  I found this helpful as I couldn't remember if I took my meds once went to bed -- I actually had to go and count the remaining pills in the bottle.  With a pill box, this confusion is eliminated.

Keep us updated with your progress.

All the best,

jayjax

08 Oct 08:  Diagnosed
18 Oct 08:  1st Lab Work: CD4 - 268, VL 7,000
18 Nov 08:  Started Atripla
28 Jan 09:   CD4 - 195, VL 70
05 May 09:  CD4 - 201, VL = Undetectable
16 Aug 09: CD4 - 235, VL = Undetectable
30 Nov 09 CD4 - 300, VL = Undetectable
30 Mar 10 CD4 - 305, VL = Undetectable
27 Jul 10 CD4 -  301, VL = 100
13 Aug 10 -- Switched to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
30 Sep 10 --  CD4 598, VL = Undetectable

Offline pblue777

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 09:03:19 am »
Hi Jay!
Thanks for responding... Im at 1 month with Atripla and I must say I feel fantastic. I only skipped that once...and Im sure it wont happen again!
Im very happy that the side effects are gone and they really werent that bad, at least in my case. I try to take my pill at 11pm every night. I have never taken the pill and stayed up, so Im not sure if I would take it while out and about.
This week Im gonna get my blood work done, so Im anticipating good news!
Again thanks for responding!
Best

Offline jayjax

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 05:13:25 pm »
pblue777,

pblue777

Sounds fantastic!!!  Feeling good is such an important part of the recovery process.  If you're starting to feel better, you know the meds are working.  You want to get the vl to undetect and stay there.  Eat and stay healthy and you will have no problems with life.  Enyoy it every day!!!

Please see my signature.  I just got back from my lab results and still undetect.  Although my CD4 count is climbing at a snail pace, I need to remind myself not to worry.  I still feel good and I'm not sick, which is just as important.

Keep us posted on your next lab results.  Many here keep our lab results in the signature block to track.

Later,

JayJax

Offline pblue777

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 09:03:29 am »
hey guys! Just a quick post, I got my results after a month on Atripla, and Im happy my VL went from 1500 to 770, and my Cd4 180 to 246  ,17%
Im learning how to read these results but my DR. says they are very good!
So for now Im happy!
Best wishes!!

Offline jayjax

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 01:13:57 pm »
Congrats!! This is fantastic news.... This is the progression you want to see.

Have a great new year and keep us posted.

Jayjax

Offline steve770

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 07:19:09 pm »

Great news too you.

Also had same kind of results on Atripla, my VL was huge 98000, after 3 months on Atripla went to 46, massive drop indeed, feel much better to, my workouts at gym are having a much better effect to, am starting to get big again which is geat. One wierd thing I have noticed & a few friends also is, my eyelashes are getting longer LOL whats that all about !!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.