Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 377
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switching from Kaletra/Truvada to Atripla  (Read 3984 times)

Offline nycthreeoh

Switching from Kaletra/Truvada to Atripla
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:07:48 am »
Hey all...so my doctor has recomended that I switch from my Kaletra/Truvada combo to Atripla.  Kaletra/Truvada was my first ever combo and I started in June.  I'm doing great with this, vl is <50 and cd4 has gone up in both tests, to 438 but two different docs have told me that it's a good idea to switch...one reason is that long term kaletra has "worse" or "more" side effects than sustiva.  wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this and with switching so early.
thx  ;)

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
Re: Switching from Kaletra/Truvada to Atripla
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 01:39:09 pm »
i've taken kaletra since 2002 when i was first diagnosed, but have never had any problems, externally or internally.
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

Offline Jwhite8040

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:49:37 am »
Hi, 
Like you, I started on Kaletra/Truvada and had a good reaction. This is the preferred combo to start people on because if you are not good at taking your drugs ever day on time at the start of treatment, Kaletra is very forgiving and has not shown to have resistance problems. 

The potential problem with Kaletra is because it is a Protease Inhibitor (PI).  Some people on PIs have a redistribution of body fat and they show sunken or hollow cheeks.  This can be avoided by not taking a PI. 

I switched to Atripla and I take it for right before bed.  I am happy to report I have no side effects whatsoever.  Some people report vivid dreams for the first 2 weeks, but I have not experienced this.  My results have been outstanding and I am still undetectible (Viral Load) and now have 718 T cells (up from 250).

Good luck.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:10:59 am »
Hey NYC....
I started on Truvada in the morning and Sustiva at night...switched to Atripla at night but my system could not handle all the meds at once....triggered a severe case of insomnia.  When I went back to the split drug regimen the insomnia continued so I started taking the Sustiva (600mg) in the morning but the "high" was too much to handle....so after some inquiry at this site and others I now take 3 small doses (200mg) of Sustiva throughout the morning and it works much better.   I seem to be the exception with Sustiva...it seems to help, rather than hinder, most people with sleep....but we all react differently. 

SOOOOO....my point is that you may want to find out how long you can stay on the Kaletra without any adverse side effects (since it is working for you) AND if you start "dating" Sustiva and it does not work out.... can you go back to the Kaletra?  If not then you may want to give Kaletra a longer run before switching.  It seems that doctors, in general, want to give their patients the "latest and greatest"  when "tried and true" can be a good thing!

Be Well....

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline nycthreeoh

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:46:58 pm »
thanks for the info guys,

I decided to make the switch this weekend and i've taken three doses so far.

I haven't had any vivid dreams or side effects that others have reported and thought it'd be a good time to start because it's a long weekend and it'd give me time to adjust.  Tommorow I'm back at work and we'll see how it goes when I'm really concentrating.  I am looking forward to great results with my bloodwork next month. 

Thanks all.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:00:14 pm »
HEY NYC....
IT TAKES COURAGE TO BRING ABOUT CHANGE SO I APPLAUDE YOU FOR DOING THAT!  I SEE A PERFECT TRANSITION OCCURING FOR YOU AND THROUGH YOU....AND I SEE AMAZING TEST RESULTS HAPPENING FOR YOU!!

BE WELL!!

CRAIG
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.