Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 04:58:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wellbutrin Anyone  (Read 12096 times)

Offline NycJoe

Wellbutrin Anyone
« on: February 17, 2011, 06:32:46 pm »
My Dr thought since I had put on 15 pounds since November and I was tearing up all the time (totally not me....EVER) that I might have low level depression.  She recommended Wellbutrin due to the low sexual side effects.  Anyone currently on it or taken it?  I am a little concerned about possible panic attacks, one of the many side effects listed.  I am taking my first one tomorrow just wondering what to expect.  Thanks.

Joe

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Wellbutrin Anyone
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:17:58 pm »
My Dr thought since I had put on 15 pounds since November and I was tearing up all the time (totally not me....EVER) that I might have low level depression.  She recommended Wellbutrin due to the low sexual side effects.  Anyone currently on it or taken it?  I am a little concerned about possible panic attacks, one of the many side effects listed.  I am taking my first one tomorrow just wondering what to expect.  Thanks.

Joe

Well, I will admit to being heavily biased toward it - but it saved me in lots of ways.  I was once darn near catatonic with depression, and it helped lift me up to a point where I could actually begin to really DEAL and try to help myself some.  Of course, for the first 10 days I was on it, I only slept about 45 mins every 24 hours...yet somehow didn't look tweeky or like RIP.  I was temporarily manic during that time, and I acted kinda like an aerobics instructor on crack.

"Hi !  OMG - what a BEAUTIFUL DAY it is!  I feel like jogging! Do you?  Do you feel like jogging like I do? WOW!"

But then the night of the 10th day came and I finally fell asleep...and woke up on the 11th day totally leveled out.  I wasn't riding high anymore, but my "baseline" was so much better and I felt so much closer to "normal".  I wish I would have gotten on it way before...it might have saved me from many mistakes.

Oh, btw...it also is Zyban, the no smoking drug. My cravings - and honey, I had some CRAVINGS - for nicotine have vanished to this day (even though I no longer take Wellbutrin).  I can opt to smoke if I want to, but once I go to sleep I can wake up the next day and go from there forward without cigs.  That is an amazing thing for me.

I sometimes have panicky modes, but I have almost always had those and do not personally attribute them to any residual effect of Wellbutrin.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »
No side effects, also no help for me. Wrong diagnosis, so wrong med. If you don't see the results needed don't despair. Might take some other med or there might be other things at work. Good luck
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline roy100

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:28:11 pm »
I switched to Wellbutrin XL ( 225 gr)  form Remeron 30 mg.

Remeron was making me eat a lot and putting on some weight, besides my insurance did not cover Remeron , but it covers Wellbutrin.

To me Wellbutrin is pretty good. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

First the good ones:
It enhances the libido a great deal, making you have morning erections, and feel on the mood for sex.
It gives you energy, makes you feel euphoric, which is great.
It does deal with the depression, and actually my dosage is not the ideal one, as 300 mg is the one recommended.
You can stop smoking, as smoking feels as sucking smoke with a straw, no feelings, just nothing, so you can give it up.

Disadvantages:
For some people it can cause convulsions, to me nothing, just as normal. But this is one of its weaknesses for many people that worry about side effects. I have not had any.
If you drink alcohol it makes you drunk with just a few drinks, so be careful.
It is heavy on the liver so be careful if you have any liver problems of hepatitis.
It takes away your hunger and gives you a Little nausea, ( this can be advantage if you are overweight, but if you have the wasting syndrome forget about it )
Insomnia, one of the worst disadvantages. You have to use some sleeping pill to sleep

To even out but the disadvantages and advantages, I have to use 1/4 pill of a 30 mg Remeron pill, which helps you sleep and makes you hungry. That takes care of the trouble.

Also when you are on an AD you have to wean out of it very carefully, and by using the 1/4 of a 30 mg Remeron makes me slowly get out of it.

Also Wellbutrin is the AD that has the lowest withdrawal effects of them all, a some of the others AD are a mess when you get off them , probably never. And that's when you start the AD merry go around.

Hope I helped a little,
Regards,
Roy

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:32:16 pm by roy100 »
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:24:05 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the responses.  I'm not sure how I feel about starting it tomorrow.  Zoloft last year just did NOT agree with me.  Hopefully this will.  I am all about some weight loss.  I was 192 pounds when I found out I was HIV+ in 2004.  Now I am at 215 (down from a whopping 225).  Hopefully this med will agree with me and along with my diet and exercise I can kick some ass on the weight.  Not sure if I want to be euphoric or not..LOL.  I don't want to act like a freak.  I could definitely use some energy though.  I just got a 3 month supply of ambien so I guess I am good to go with the insomnia.  I hate taking all of these pills.  Wish me luck!

Joe

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the responses.  I'm not sure how I feel about starting it tomorrow.  Zoloft last year just did NOT agree with me.  Hopefully this will.  I am all about some weight loss.  I was 192 pounds when I found out I was HIV+ in 2004.  Now I am at 215 (down from a whopping 225).  Hopefully this med will agree with me and along with my diet and exercise I can kick some ass on the weight.  Not sure if I want to be euphoric or not..LOL.  I don't want to act like a freak.  I could definitely use some energy though.  I just got a 3 month supply of ambien so I guess I am good to go with the insomnia.  I hate taking all of these pills.  Wish me luck!

Joe

Hey, Joe...maybe it won't zip you up as hard as it did me at first.  Who knows?  I still hope you can see from my post above that I am very thankful for my experience with Wellbutrin.  I tried some others, and they just made me feel "fluttery" or something.  And one of them made me yawn constantly...Effexor, it was.  This one was by far the best.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:56:40 am »
OK, so I took my first Wellbutrin a few hours ago.  After about an hour my hands were cold and I was shaking my legs like crazy ready to go run.  Hands are no longer cold but I can't sit still .  Wow.  Thunter was right about the tweaked feeling.  I hope it goes away!  I don't want to act like an ass in front of people.  Besides working in healthcare I am also a Lic massage therapist.  Right now I could finish an hour massage in 5 minutes LOL.  We shall see how this goes...

Joe

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 05:10:36 am »
Joe, Wellbutrin acts different that other anti-depressants.  It is a dopamine releaser, hence the euphoria.  I've been on it for a couple years, and it has helped my depression.  It did not help me quit smoking, however, because I really wasn't wanting it for that, and didn't want to quit at the time.  It's pretty much evened me out mood wise.  I hope it works for you!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.