Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:34:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 623
Total: 624

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sex with people on the same treatment regimen. Does it matter?  (Read 4203 times)

Offline thelovedones

Does having sex with someone on the same treatment regimen minimize the risk of contracting a strain of HIV that is resistant to one's current treatment? For instance, if you're poz and taking Atripla and you have sex with someone who can't take Atripla because of some mutation, can that person "re-infect" you with a strain that would be resistant to Atripla?

I'm not speaking from experience but it is something that crossed my mind.

2/26/11 – Diagnosis at State Dept of Health (anonymous testing center)
2/28/11 – Oral Swab Positive diagnosis and confirmatory blood test taken
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/11/11 – VL: 192765, T-cell: 195
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and took Pill 1
4/29/11 - VL: 413, T-cell: 311
6/28/11 - VL: UNDETECTABLE, T-Cell: 437

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Sex with people on the same treatment regimen. Does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 10:35:30 pm »
if both partners are undetectable, there is no such thing as re-infection or super-infection. At undetectable not only is there nearly 0 chance of spreading the infection, but the medications work as both PEP and PrEP.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:53:08 am »
Does having sex with someone on the same treatment regimen minimize the risk of contracting a strain of HIV that is resistant to one's current treatment? For instance, if you're poz and taking Atripla and you have sex with someone who can't take Atripla because of some mutation, can that person "re-infect" you with a strain that would be resistant to Atripla?

I'm not speaking from experience but it is something that crossed my mind.

Superinfection is a very rare bird. There are only a couple of dozen documented cases and if it does happen, it's most likely to occur early in the course of the disease.

Rather than worrying about reinfection, pozzies who are considering some hot pink-on-pink action should be more concerned with other STDs like Hepatitis B, gonorrhoea and syphilis.

Particularly syphilis. Do a forums search for "syphilis" -- it's worth the effort.

MtD

Offline thelovedones

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:00:28 pm »
thanks, gents
2/26/11 – Diagnosis at State Dept of Health (anonymous testing center)
2/28/11 – Oral Swab Positive diagnosis and confirmatory blood test taken
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/11/11 – VL: 192765, T-cell: 195
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and took Pill 1
4/29/11 - VL: 413, T-cell: 311
6/28/11 - VL: UNDETECTABLE, T-Cell: 437

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »
thanks, gents

I forgot to mention that Hepatitis B (and A for that matter) is vaccine preventable. If you've not been vaccinated you should speak to your doctor about determining if you need to be.

An easy way to make sure you don't get a really horrible disease.

MtD

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:18:36 pm »
if both partners are undetectable, there is no such thing as re-infection or super-infection. At undetectable not only is there nearly 0 chance of spreading the infection, but the medications work as both PEP and PrEP.

I support this.  Just only check if she/he is Undetactable and free of any other STDs.
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »
If both partners are undetectable, on the same treatment and have the same sub-type of HIV, the chances of reinfection are 0. As these conditions diverge, the chance increases. When it becomes a real risk, rather than theoretical, is a good guess. Two sets of undetectable viral load, 1 per partner, and nod STIs etc, prob means 0 chance.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:59:58 am »
I forgot to mention that Hepatitis B (and A for that matter) is vaccine preventable. If you've not been vaccinated you should speak to your doctor about determining if you need to be.

An easy way to make sure you don't get a really horrible disease.

MtD

I'd like to add that for some people, in some areas, you might get these vaccines for free. I remember I've been offered the HepA shots because they gave them without any charges to men who have sex with men in Montreal. It might be worth to look with your doctors what's the situation where you are if prices are on your minds. :)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:10:36 am »
I'd like to add that for some people, in some areas, you might get these vaccines for free. I remember I've been offered the HepA shots because they gave them without any charges to men who have sex with men in Montreal. It might be worth to look with your doctors what's the situation where you are if prices are on your minds. :)

Good point. For homosexual men Hepatitis A is considered to be a sexually transmitted disease as it's spread via the faecal-oral route.

You boys know what I mean. ;)

Very often Hep A and Hep B vaccines come in a combined shot. If you can get either or both by bludging off the taxpayer, all the better.

MtD

Offline surf18

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:02:09 am »
i had hep b in 2005 ,cleared in dec of 2005. it sucked shit. get the vaccine guys if you havent already!!!!!!! no drinking terrible! ha
feel like shit during it too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.