Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 300
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 300
Total: 300

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stop Kvetching !!! The Vatican says the Spanish inquisition wasn't that bad  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Jody

I read somewhere today that the Vatican says the Spanish inquisition wasn't all that bad as it has been portrayed over the centuries, in fact it was well meaning in nature.  Of course if you happened to be one of the poor souls who was given a choice of being strangled, hanged, drowned, burned at the stake, drawn and quartered or perhaps one from column A and one from column B (hold the eggroll) you might have felt differently, but never mind them, those heretics that they are.

They have a museum where they shlepped out some icons including Jesus on the cross, but they actually added blood on his knees now for reality, they must have seen the beloved Mel Gibson's film or had his lovely father as an advisor.

And here I thought the purpose of Christianity at the start was to drive the money changers from the temple and compassion and love for all, where do the fellows at the Vatican follow that innate principle?  Oh never mind.

Well I hope this thread isn't doomed to eventually be locked, I certainly do not want to hurt the feelings of any fine individuals (we are just stuck with our dear religions boys and girls, it happens) but if the moderators do eventually lock it I sure hope Ann or Jan hop on over with their dominatrix costumes and give a bad boy his just and deserved punishment, a spanking to force me to confess all my sins...Better yet just send Tim...But if you send Andy in all his splendor, I have a feeling he is a regular modern day Torchemada (You just can't talk him outta nothin'!!!).  Come to think of it Andy might have just learned a thing or two at the master's side back in the day. ;)

Jody :)   
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
The Vatican spooks me out big time.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Basquo

And here I thought the purpose of Christianity at the start was to drive the money changers from the temple and compassion and love for all, where do the fellows at the Vatican follow that innate principle?  Oh never mind.

I don't believe driving the money changers out was a purpose, but a bonus, like continuing the work of earlier holy men who sought to drive the sacred prostitutes out of temples and generally attempt to put independent women in a bad light--in many religions.

The other purpose you mention was misplaced during the inquisition, in fact it's hard to locate it today!  :-\

and I'm editing this to clarify what I wrote above about a bonus: I mean a bonus to some people at the time, not a bonus in general and certainly not to me.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:33:20 pm by Basquo »

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
" Vatican says the Spanish inquisition wasn't all that bad as it has been portrayed over the centuries"

I'm sure my ancestors who were given the choices:
a) convert to Catholicism 
b)be tortured and killed
c)leave Spain

would not agree with the Vatican...

btw...they chose C and ran away to the New World
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline komnaes

Oh well, seeing that the fundamentalists in the US are getting more crazy than they do the Vatican needs to remind the world that they are truly the masters of self delusion once in a while. The world is fucked up as it's so it's somehow comforting to know that somethings never change. :P Just another side show to enjoy while they matching to the edge of the cliff, dragging us in chains with them.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
It is hard to take the Vatican seriously when it is led by someone who was an associate of one of the worst German leaders of all time.

There are so many people who have been misled and confused by alledged Christian beliefs that it is now getting a little unbelievable

Regards
Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline fearless

Well, I hate to defend the church but there is something to what they are saying. Historians seem to generally agree that it is likely somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 were put to death during the 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition.

The Protestants greatly exaggerated what really happened during the me of the Protestant Revolutions, a view that still has wide acceptance today.

Happy Mardi Gras.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:53:25 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline poz1970

I wish catholics were more like sister act 1 and 2, then i'd be interested!

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
Or that the Nuns were more like the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence from the cathedral of St Muscle Mary's
Happy Mardi Gras Fearless - I wish I were there tonight

Regards
Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Jody...

I love you Jiddish language and  humor... you are such a gem..

love

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline fearless

Or that the Nuns were more like the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence from the cathedral of St Muscle Mary's
Happy Mardi Gras Fearless - I wish I were there tonight

Regards
Scuddles

Nun's aren't too bad Scuddles. My aunty is one and she would seriously side with the SPI more than the vatican. The angels in the vatican don't quite cut the mustard either.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline mjmel

Ah, well. That makes me want to rethink the whole "Kvetching" attitude I have of the Vatican.
NOT!

since 1971:
"and the graven image you know who
 with his plasitc crucifix, he's got him fixed
confuses me as to who and where and why?
as to how he gets his kicks (He gets his kicks!)

confessing to the endless sin
the endless whining sounds
you'll be praying till next Thrusday
to all the gods that you can count"
artist: Ian Anderson
album: Auqalung

Shalom, baby. Shalom.

Mike

Offline lucas clay

I sure hope Ann or Jan hop on over with their dominatrix costumes

Jody :)   
Sorry for the hijack bro but

Ann....Jan....  i love you

Lucas
(who is smoking two cigarettes at once after reading that)

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
It is hard to take the Vatican seriously when it is led by someone who was an associate of one of the worst German leaders of all time.

I take it that you are referring to A Hitler?

Since Joseph Alois Ratzinger, a.k.a. The Pope,  was born on 16 April 1927, he was 12 when the second world war started. Though he was a Hitlerjugend I doubt that Adolf Hitler would have considered him an "associate".

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Sorry for the hijack bro but

Ann....Jan....  i love you

Lucas
(who is smoking two cigarettes at once after reading that)

Sounds to me like someone is feeling a little better..good to hear it.. ;D

I remember going to a fancy dress party dressed as a Nun and being dragged out by my beautiful Grandmother as she screamed "I'm going to  take my fekkin hand off the side of your head when I get you home"..so, as a good little catholic girl I think it's best I stay out of this thread...well, you just never know who's watching.. ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
I take it that you are referring to A Hitler?

Since Joseph Alois Ratzinger, a.k.a. The Pope,  was born on 16 April 1927, he was 12 when the second world war started. Though he was a Hitlerjugend I doubt that Adolf Hitler would have considered him an "associate".

Pat

Godwin.  Then again, if you're discussing Ratzinger...I guess such connections are hard to avoid.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 09:13:43 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Well, I hate to defend the church but there is something to what they are saying. Historians seem to generally agree that it is likely somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 were put to death during the 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition.

Even back then the liberal media was getting it wrong.  That's like only one torture-killing a month!

But look at the flip side; there were no al-Quaida attacks in Spain during that period.  Not one airplane flown into a building, not one beheading posted on the internet.  So maybe we should cut President Bush some slack about Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib.   
It's a complex world

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.