Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:38:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 502
Total: 502

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: hi guys and gals...can u read, im freaking out  (Read 8159 times)

Offline trisfreakinscared

hi guys and gals...can u read, im freaking out
« on: May 13, 2007, 02:00:37 am »
Hi guys, been reading forums for a while now, this site along with Medhelp are keeping me from going insane. Ive never been so scared in my life.

so here it goes, I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex on January 16th 2007. I dont know what my partners status was. I kept bugging her for weeks about if she was clean,she always said yes, but i still dont know if shes lying or not. Shes slept around. Had my latest test... oraquick HIV 1/2 rapid test on May 9th 2007. It came back negative. Ive read on this site and Medhelp that 13 weeks is conclusive, but I have some health problems. I have GERD, gout, and maybe a hiatal hernia,  :'(and im only 20. The people at whitman walker said they were pretty sure I dont have HIV, but that I should get tested at the 6 month mark to be sure. I may also have herpes, and the sore hasnt gone away after 6 weeks..gonna get checked for that soon.

1.Do you guys think im in the clear?
2. could my bad health(gerd, gout, maybe herpes),   cause my HIV test to not turn positive yet? Im all caught up thinking that I have a bad immune system.

Re: am I in the clear? pleaase read..
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 03:45:29 am »
ohh yeah one other thing

do you think its easy to get hepatitis C after a single exposure, and are the oraquick tests as conclusive as the ELISA blood tests?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 05:14:33 am »
Hey Tris,

The result of the test you took on 9th May is conclusive. You don't have HIV infection as a result of having unprotected vaginal and oral sex in January of this year. No, your other health problems including GERD and gout will not affect the outcome of this.

The window period is 13 weeks and despite what the people at Whitman Walker told you, you don't need to retest for HIV at 6 months.

You do, however, need to read our Welcome Thread which contains links to our testing and transmission lessons. You should take the time to read these and familiarise yourself with how HIV is and is not transmitted.

All sexually active people should have a full sexual health screen at least once a year. Given your concerns about herpes I would strongly recommend that you seek screening for STDs other than HIV if you haven't already. Diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea are much more prevalent and infectious than HIV and you can carry them with no symptoms.

The Oraquick tests are ELISA tests and are conclusive and reliable.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:05:31 am »
I agree with Matty that you have reliably tested negative for HIV. You are HIV negative. Period. End of that story. And no, re-testing at 6 months is NOT necessary.

Condoms are not something for you to use when it's convenient or when you "feel like it." Everytime you have intercourse you should be wearing one. It doesn't matter what you think you know about someone's history or how great they look or anything else. A condom is a must everytime.

Lastly, your use of the term "clean" to describe the woman in question is one that is considered offensive here. Whether someone has HIV or any other STD is just a fact. It's not whether they are "dirty" or "clean." HIV is a virus and not a moral judgement on anyone. You need to drop the use of that term out of your vocabulary when referring to STDs.

Discuss any symptoms you are concerned about with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 04:53:10 pm »
Lastly, your use of the term "clean" to describe the woman in question is one that is considered offensive here.

Yikes! Matty the Damned must be getting old and demented as he missed that one. Totally agree with Andy here, Tris. Don't use terms like "clean" and "dirty" as we HIV positive types find that to be quite offensive.

MtD

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 09:12:31 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for getting back to me. Im truly sorry for saying those words. I shouldve known better, and all of you truly are life savers. Ive really fallen apart since this exposure. this site and the medhelp is whats keeping me going. You guys are experts, and I thank you so much for your help, Ill take your advice and move on with my life. To everyone I offended, I really am sorry about my word i used.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:14:28 pm »
ohh yeah one last thing,  is it possible to get Hepatitis C after a one time exposure?
going to get tested for all stds after my endoscopy on wednesday.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:19:01 pm »
Tris,

It's fine. Thank you for the apology. I'm sure you didn't mean to be offensive.

The Hepatitis C virus is a very different beast to HIV and is rarely, if at all, transmitted through unprotected sexual contact. HCV requires a blood to blood contact to be transmitted and so is usually spread through sharing contaminated injecting equipment. Also people who have had blood transfusions or certain other invasive medical procedures in the past (probably prior to 1990) may have been exposed to HCV.

HCV is really not an issue here, given what you've described. If you're concerned about HCV for other reasons, discuss it with the people who will be performing your STD screening. They will be able to assist you, I'm sure.

Good luck with the endoscopy and the other STD tests.

Regards,

MtD

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 07:02:59 pm »
hey matty, thanks for getting back to me, yeah was wondering cause some how i thought i had ascites due to my swollen stomach from gerd, ill definitely take your word. but one last thing before i go, why does cdc recommend 6 month testing? I know people with bad immune systems take longer to detect, but does this just include cance  and other serious illnesses, or can it also have to due with a persons diet. Thats what they told me at whitman walker, that even a diet can make it longer for detecting your antibodies. I took it on may 9th of 07, and the exposure was on january 7th, do you still thjink that im safe, even though i have a horrible diet, and pretty bad health at age 20, just that i dont exercise and have gerd, gout and maybe alittle over weight. could that affect me turning positive?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 07:10:48 pm »
No Tris,

You are not HIV positive. None of your other health/lifestyle issues will affect the outcome of your test. Like I told you earlier, your test result from 9th May is conclusive and utterly reliable. You don't need to worry about HIV. You do clearly have some other health problems which you need to address so it's probably best to focus on those and leave your concerns about HIV behind.

Remember to use latex condoms and water based lubricants whenever you have vaginal and/or anal sex and you'll be right.

MtD

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 12:15:18 am »
Hey guys whats up

ive been having dry coughs for about a month and a half if not more. do you think im still negative

i tested on may 9th 07 and exposure was jan 16 07. should i get tested again? Suppose the person i had sex with did have HIV, would i have been positive by now, or does it depend on my immune system alone. could i be that 3% that doesnt seroconvert til after 3 months?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:45:12 am »
Tris,

I really wish that you'd take the time to read the advice that Andy and I have given you in this thread as well as the testing and transmission lessons which you'll find linked in our Welcome Thread.

As we've already told you, your test result of May 9th is conclusive. You are HIV negative. End of story. No amount of what-iffing or fretting about symptoms is going to change that. Whatever is causing your coughs, aches and other problems it isn't HIV.

And no, you are not one of the tiny percentage of people who take longer than 13 weeks to show antibodies. It's much lower than 3%, incidentally.

Ya dig?

Perhaps your time and effort would be better spent if you spoke to a counsellor or other suitably qualified mental health worker about your fears regarding HIV infection. We're really not able to provide you with that sort of support.

MtD

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 12:57:52 am »
thanks matty for getting back to me

idk why im so paranoid. you guys are right i should go see a councelor or something. Had my endoscopy and waiting on those results so i guess that made me a bit more scared. but anyways ill move on, and thank to all you guys that helped me out. My dry cough is probably due to my diet or somethiing.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:07 am »
Hey matty can you help me again?

like im still having dry coughs, and i know its been over a month, probably closer to two and a half. I got my tests back for my endoscopy, and they said i didnt have a hiatal hernia. Just wondering are dry coughs symptoms of HIV?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 01:02:47 am »
Tris,

I can answer your question about HIV. Your dry cough is not caused by HIV infection. You don't have HIV. If you're having chest problems you should consult your doctor.

It really is time that you moved on from this. If you're having trouble coping with your fears about HIV you should consult a counsellor or other mental health professional. We're not able to provide you with that sort of support here.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and pay particular attention to the posting guidelines. Continually questioning a conclusive negative result can result you being given a time out from the forums.

Seriously.

MtD

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 11:08:29 pm »
o ok thanks matty for getting back to me. yeah ive been trying to consult with a HIV counselor at a local AIDS ministry to talk and stuff, but we keep missing each others calls. Yeah ill take your advice finally

hi guys and gals...can u read, im freaking out
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 01:48:45 pm »
i had the flu around two weeks ago...its subsided. I still have a dry cough and headaches and some mucous. they wont seem to go away. I was just scared that i might have hiv or something. I havent had sex since november 10th, when i broke up with my ex. I was jsut wondering if its too late to get symptoms..the whole seroconversion thing. I'm pretty sure she cheated on me numerous times, so i was just wondering...do u think im in the clear? im going to get tested tommorow at my clinic to make sure though.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: hi guys and gals...can u read, im freaking out
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 02:25:03 pm »
tris,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You can test now for a conclusive result as you are past the three month window period.

In future, you need to be using condoms every time, no exceptions until you are in monogamous relationship where you have tested TOGETHER.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 02:02:04 am »
ok gonna gooo get my test tommorow(promise to all u so u guys dont have to keep answering my q's)..had to wait til i finished my damn biology test first(failed)

Do u think itd be too late for me to seroconvert?? i had unprotected sex back on november 10th with an ex i thought was faithful, turned out she wasnt. havent had sex since.

ive been feeling sick for the past two weeks...got the flu while i was at a show, but still have dry coughs.. i also fought my brother and may have broken a rib, but x rays show i didnt...still in lots of pain.

soo based on your knowledge..u think itd be too late for me to have symptoms? ...thats pretty much all i want to know, is if u guys can help me on that.

ill post my results tommorow when i get home from the clinic..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 03:41:33 am »
tris,

As you are outside the window period, whatever is going on with you will not be ARS. The test you take will be conclusive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 01:15:26 pm »
alright..im negative, went in for the rapid test instead of class. had to make sure ;), i overheard the doctors say in the other room that i should get a test when i went in to get flu medicine, to rule it out...thanks thy jesus

ann thanks alot for your help..u definitely eased my stress alot. i appreciate it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 03:55:34 pm »
tris,

The best thanks you could give any of us is to make sure you're using condoms from now on, correctly and consistently for anal or vaginal intercourse. Do that and you will protect your negative status. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.