Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:29:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 190
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: pravastatin  (Read 10716 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
pravastatin
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:20:14 pm »
I on my 3rd day of this satin that was suppose to replace Lipitor it's called  Pravastatin  and I keep on getting dizzy & very light-headed  ??? maybe the 40mg is too strong for me, I was only on
10mg of the lipitor,  has any body taken this before? and should I be taking this @ bedtime rather than during
the day-time  ??? this just doesn't feel right to me  :(
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: pravastatin
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:33:58 pm »
Dennis,

Call the doctor or, if he or she isn't available, call the nurse at the clinic and tell them what is going oin. I don't think you are supposed to get light headed or dizzy on this stuff.

Edited to add: I just checked several sites, including the NIH, and one mentioned that some people experienced dizziness during clinical trials fof this medication, but it was a small percentage.

I would still call the clinic to let them know, just to be on the safe side.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:41:28 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »
Thanks Mark  I'm already on Tricor 145mg & Quinapril 40mg my Kidney Doc reduced that down to 5mg. and my ID-doc was MAD about that, so she put me on the Pravastatin 40mg and STOPPED the Lipitor.....

the drug insert said " for best results to take @ bedtime, but it doesn't say anything about getting dizzy & light headed, I'll try it @ bedtime, and if that doesn't work, I'll call the Truman-Street-Clinic in the morning  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:34:59 am »
Dennis,

I was on pravastatin 40 mg for about 1 year, and I took it at bed time.

I can't recall being light headed or feeling dizziness ( or no more than usuall anyway ) as I'm on Atripla.
          But I did have stomach problems.

Then my doc put me on Lipitor 10 mg, said it was a better choice for me. Plus I think there is some
          research to suggest Lipitor helps with inflammation from hiv

Sam
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
Sam, I understand that you meant well, but as someone diagnosed in 2007, you shouldn't be posting in this forum as it is meant only for people who were diagnosed before 1997.

Please make sure you read the Welcome Thread that appears at the top of this forum's main page - as well as the Welcome threads that appear at the top of some of the other sub-forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denb45

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:12 am »
OK just got an update from my ID-doctors Nurse-RN, she said I shouldn't be taking any of my lipids-meds during the day, but to take them @ bedtime, that's why your feeling dizzy & light headed, also she pointed out to me that @ least 2 of my Meds ( Norvir & Aptuvis) will cause just about anything I take to be 5 to 10 times as stronger, now that was something I didn't know  :-\

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:46:15 pm »
Dennis, I have been on Pravastation for 2 years now.  When I first started, I was ready to quit it because it made me feel "loopy" and tired.  That feeling didn't last too awfully long and I now take it with my morning meds.  I was only on Lipitor for a short, short period.  For me it was like taking a laxative following it was a Weson Oil chaser. 

Perhaps switch to the evenings until you acclimate to it?

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 06:37:01 pm »
Dennis, I have been on Pravastation for 2 years now.  When I first started, I was ready to quit it because it made me feel "loopy" and tired.  That feeling didn't last too awfully long and I now take it with my morning meds.  I was only on Lipitor for a short, short period.  For me it was like taking a laxative following it was a Weson Oil chaser. 

Perhaps switch to the evenings until you acclimate to it?

Wolfie

I switched to night-time, but, it kept me awake ( All I could hear was my heat-beat all night long)  ???
so i went back to day-time, and now it makes me feel all flushed getty & uppity ( like  like drinking a pot of coffee) lol, so I know I have to get used to it, it's only been a week now, I'm sure I'll get used to the Pravastatin eventually  ::)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »
Hello Dennis ,
I take my statins ,then i immediately go to bed if the jitters kick in its a sleeping tablet. Three heart attacks cured the small resistance I had to Zopiclone (7.5mg and goodnight)

Juggling all the meds is work, generally any side effects have reduced in the second week for me, but it makes for very long weeks.
Take care
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:03:02 am »
Are you doing any better on the statin?

I was on Pravastatin for a short time but apparently my kidneys didn't like it so I have been switched to Lipitor. ..it;s been 3 weeks now and I haven't noticed any difference in how I feel. but it has wreaked havoc on my INR as it turns out that Coumadin and Lipitor aren't friends...

so..now I'm been upped to 10mgs of Coumadin...

It was recommended to me to take the pravastatin at night....
Hope it works for you...
Ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 11:20:57 am »
Are you doing any better on the statin?

It's been hit or miss w/ me, I've been on so many of them in the past 10 yrs.

Currently I'm taking all of my statins during the daytime ( I'm so use to doing this after so many yrs) the dizziness seems to have subsided for now, so maybe that's a good sign, I hope  ;)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 08:56:54 am »
Have you seriously considered a lifestyle change?  Not preaching, just wondering.  I rec'd an email yesterday that I can stop taking the Pravastatin.  We're going to recheck the numbers in 6 months to determine if my greatly improved numbers were due to diet and exercise instead of the meds.  Which I'm confident they are. 

Best of luck bud
Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.