Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:43:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 538
Total: 538

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: risk of infection or STD?  (Read 10450 times)

Offline matt36

risk of infection or STD?
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:30:13 am »
Hi!

I am a 36yr old gay guy who has been very stupid. Last January I was very drunk and engaged in unprotected anal intercourse while on holiday. I was the bottom. Not being used to penetration, afterwards I developed a painful fissure in my rectum and two months later I needed surgery for this.
I had been ill since this happened with fever and outbreaks of herpes all over my face on and off.
I tested for HIV with 4th gen. combo essays 3,5 and 7 weeks after the incident and had a full STD panel
after 3.5 months, this time with an approved quick antibody bloodtest at the local STD clinic, all negative. I had been hospitalized one month before I took the final HIV-test and had received enormous amounts of Morhine IV. to elivate the excruciating pain after my surgery. I also lost 15kilos and I am still now, 6 months later having outbursts of Herpes in my face which I treat with acicolvir.
I have eaten lots of pain killers all the time, including morphine tablets when the pain has peaked.
I really have never felt so ill and weak in all my life as I did when I took all my HIV-tests and especially the final one after 3.5 months. My question to you experts is: Can I completely rely on my HIV-neg. status?
I know I had many tests, but could my immune system have been so weakened by the pain, the constant colds and infections in my chest I have had the last year and by all the IV. morphine and painkillers I have been given, that even my last test after 3.5 months when I was so ill I could barely get my body to the STD-clinic could be falsely negative?? I read that IV. drugs can delay seroconversion.
Do I have to test again since I still feel ill? My Doctor does not think so. I would be greatful for your advice.

Thanks a million for your help!

Offline RapidRod

Re: scared - am I infected?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:05:19 am »
When we talk IV drugs we are talking street drugs. Your test is conclusive. You don't have HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:59:23 am »
Matt, I agree with Rod that none of the medications you have been taking would skewer the accuracy of your HIV tests. You ARE HIV negative.

But you do need to learn from this experience. Excessive drinking mixed with casual sex is a very, very dangerous combination. All too many times it results in just what happened with you -- not bothering to use condoms for intercourse. Fortunately you have scooted by safely this time, but you can't count on it always being that way. You can have all the intercourse you want and in any position, regardless of the HIV status of your partner(s). But do it the safer way, which means that everytime the insertive partner uses a condom.

Condoms do the job and you need to use them everytime without except.

You don't need to be further concerned about HIV this time.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline nikskin

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:46:22 am »
i.m 35yrs old and i was a iv drug user.
i tested poz 4 HIV in 1997 but was do unprotected sex since the age of 11.
i find the whole thing a little upsetting as i was always thinking there is something wrong here as it was not untill i used drugs that i tested poz for hiv.

this week i was shockd when a doc friend came across a video which i must say i find to be telling me something that i have felt for a long time .

?  ARE ANY OF US REALLY HIV POZ

here is the link to that video     www.[blocked URL].com  look for the vidoe on this link

report back what u think

nicholas

Offline nikskin

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:48:03 am »
 [blocked URL]  .COM

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:55:45 am »
Nickskin, Read the posting guidelines of this forum like you should have done before your first post. DO NOT post in any thread other than your own. Note; posting denialist URL or posts will get you banned from the forum.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:57:35 am by RapidRod »

Offline matt36

risk of infection or STD?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:29:41 pm »
Hi!

I visited a dark room the 3 days ago and a guy brushed passed me for some reason touching my hands - I think his hands were moist- he possible had cum on them. A minute or so later I masturbated myself and do not know if his cum ended up on my penis. I had a watery discharge today and some urinary pain-and itch but since I have got an inflammatory Bowel Disease and anal fissures that hurt I sometimes have pain from my urinary tract from them. Should I get tested for STD:s over this incident and am I at risk of HIV?

Greatful for your response!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: risk of infection or STD?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 01:50:08 pm »
Matt,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You're not going to become infected from touching someone's hand and then touching your penis, even if cum was present. Hiv is not transmitted in that manner.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline matt36

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 01:57:46 pm »
I understand Ann- it is just this happened three days ago - is there any risk of any other STD apart from HIV from this incident and do I have to test?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 02:22:52 pm »
Matt,

No risk of anything. You don't need to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline matt36

Risk of hiv from this incident?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 08:08:10 am »
Hi all!

Last week I visited a sauna and a guy ejaculated over a lesion on my hand. I had cut myself on a rosetag about two hours earlier and the cut was small but quite deep and some blood was sipping out of it. The ejaculate came straight over the cut. I washed myself about 15 min later. I dont know if the guy was HIV+ but he might well have been. I am very scared now and find it very difficult to sleep at night because I am so afraid. Would anyone please help me assess the risk!

Thanks!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 08:54:45 am »
Matt, I have again merged your previous thread here with your latest question. Please remember in the future to always use this same thread for any additional entries. That's a rule of the site and we'd appreciate you follow it.

Now, your latest concern. In order for that incident to have been a genuine risk you would have needed to have a substantial open and bleeding wound into which HIV+ blood and/or sperm was directly pouring. What you described hardly sounds like that to me. For instance the very air in the sauna would immediately affect the viability of HIV adversely if it was present.

HIV is a very fragile virus. Sexually the only confirmed risks for transmission are unprotected vaginal and anal inrtercourse. Those activities provide the kind of receptive setting which are needed for HIV to be transmitted with the possibility of infection occuring.

Maybe you should reconsider the circumstances where you are going for sex since you seem to experience a lot of anxiety afterwards. Just saying...

I don't see any need for testing nor for further concern on your part.

Andy Velez

Offline matt36

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:34 am »
Hi again!
Now it has been a week since I got sperm in the small wound on my hand. A have got a cold today with a sore throat and mild fever. I also have some pain in my stomach, but I am used to that since I have got Chrons disease. (Inflammatory bowel disease). I also feel fatigue. Sorry for asking again, but the lesion on my hand was about  5mmX1mm and some blood was coming out from it. Maybe 2-4 hrs before I had cut myself on a rosetag. The ejaculate came straight down on my hand and some of it must have entered the cut. Is it absolutely certain it cant be primary HIV symptoms and do I not have to test over this incident?
I had a full STD check up a month ago so apart from this I have no other risk exposure.
Thanks again Andy et al. !

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:08 am »
Matt, you are continuing to worry needlessly about HIV. There was no risk and the fact that you Chrons disease does not change anything that has been said to you previously. Nor are any of the "symptoms" you are reporting in anyway suggestive of HIV.

I don't see any need for testing. The only reason for testing is if you are going to continue to fret about this incident. In that case get tested and collect the inevitable negative result. But testing is really not otherwise necessary. This was not a risky incident.
Andy Velez

Offline matt36

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 01:50:46 pm »
Hi again!
Sry for writing to you experts again, but today it has been 11 days since a I got sperm on a small lesion on my hand. My cold that started 4 days ago has only got worse and so has my ear inflammation. As I am abroad in a very warm country I went to see the local doctor, who said I had a severe pharyngotonsillitis, bronchitis and earinflammation. I also have a fever of 39 degr. So I was given antibiotics. I also have a white discharge from my urethra, but that discharge happens sometimes when my Crohns disease gets worse and my sthomach gets upset. I am now terrified this could be primary HIV infection. I am going home next week if I am fit enough for the filght. Should I not test for HIV? I dont remember when I was this ill before. What if the ejaculate ended straight on my wound? I have also no appetite because of fever and sore throat. Could this not be related to the incident in the sauna? Sry for writing again, but I am really scared now.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 02:51:23 pm »
Matt, you are continuing to worry needlessly about HIV. There was no risk and the fact that you Chrons disease does not change anything that has been said to you previously. Nor are any of the "symptoms" you are reporting in anyway suggestive of HIV.

I don't see any need for testing. The only reason for testing is if you are going to continue to fret about this incident. In that case get tested and collect the inevitable negative result. But testing is really not otherwise necessary. This was not a risky incident.

You seem bent on misinterpreting every symptom you have as another sign of HIV. Except you didn't have an actual risk as you have already been told. And of course there is nothing even remotely HIV-specific about any of the symptoms you are experiencing. Discuss them with your doctor.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline matt36

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »
Thanks for your answer Andy!!
I just have one final question. You wrote earlier that for this to be a risk it had to be an open or bleeding wound into which HIVpos blood or sperm was directly pouring. The wound was bleeding and although narrow quite deep. Sperm must  have entered easily. How long after a cut would it pose a risk? Sometimes my skin seems to heal slowly. Are we talking minutes from cut to exposure of a few hours?
Thanks alot!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:47 am »
I don't have anything more to add. And I am not going to get into the quantifying risk game with you because I can see every response only brings up "just one more question."

You didn't have a for-real risk. Period. Even though I don't see any cause for concern I am going to suggest that you get tested. You can do it initially at 6 weeks after the incident you are concerned about. A negative at 6 weeks means you are almost certianly going to test negative at 13 weeks.

I might add that I have never known of a confirmed case of transmission in the manner you are worried about. HIV is just not that easy to transmit. It requires the kind of receptive environment which unprotected intercourse and the sharing of intravenous needles provide to be transmitted in a viable form.

Hopefully you will accept the inevitable negative results since as far as I am concerned you were not at risk and getting tested is strictly for your peace of mind.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:54:13 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline matt36

Re: risk of infection or STD?/frottage- dipping?
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 07:38:26 am »
Hi all!
I have a question about an incident that happened three days ago. I met a guy and we started having oral sex at first. Then he put his penis around my anal area - I did not feel any penetration but he pushed slightly against my sphincter possibly and then he pulled out and we had no anal sex after, we just masturbated.
I am now wondering if I put myself at risk and need testing over this incident. A few minutes later I felt with my fingers in my anal area but outside the sphincter and I am almost sure there was some precum there, it was moist with a familiar smell. The time inside my anal orifice must have been maximum five seconds. Was this accidental topping or just frottage? And do I have to test over this? Greatful for expert opinion!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:52:01 am »
Matt,

If you were actually penetrated, you would have known, so yes, this was frottage. Frottage is not a risk for hiv infection. You do not need to test over this specific incident.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:
You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS SPECIFIC INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline matt36

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »
Thanks Ann!!
Just one more question: Does it matter that I have an anal fissure right now if indeed precum was present in my anal area?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »
No. Still not a risk as long as no unprotected anal penetration.
Andy Velez

Offline matt36

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 02:31:33 am »
Hi again!
Sorry for writing again, but yesterday I went to the doctor because of cough and fever. I had ear inflammation and bronchitis and was given antibiotics. Although it is not the first time I have these problems - I am asthmatic - I still got very worried. I might accidentaly have displaced some precum from my anal area to the inside of my sphincter around five minutes after the frottage with my fingers. Could infection occur this way?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 08:18:01 am »
No, transmission could not happen in the manner of your latest concern.

You need to begin applying what has been said to you repeatedly in the past as you continue having experiencies instead of coming here anxiously each time you have a sexual experience.

The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected anal (and vaginal) intercourse. And frottage or anal play are not intercourse. For risk we're talking about actual unprotected anal penetration.

I am going to warn you now that if you continue to come back here with more of these non-risk and what if situations you are going to very quickly find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.