Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling very isolated  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Marchmain30

Feeling very isolated
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »
Hello Guys ,
                Iam wondering if any of you can reccommend any social groups  in the UK or Ireland. Ive been +ve for 6 years now and whilst Ive plenty friends I'd love to meet other +ve people. Its a taboo issue here in the west of Ireland and any +ve's Ive met seem to just want to keep to themselves - which I totally respect but Iam starting to feel very isolated.
I think Ive been very lucky so far - no issues with my" pet virus", became undetectable very quickly and have been since starting meds, keep myself fit, and am horse and dressage crazy, but would love to meet others to hang out with who understand what its like for a +ve guy/girl.
any decent replies welcome.
thanks again

Marchmain   ;)

Offline tednlou2

Re: Feeling very isolated
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:37:36 am »
Even though I don't know of groups on your side of the pond, I wanted to say hello.  I have been thinking a lot about getting in touch with other poz folks here.  Besides this forum, I don't have any friends who are poz.  I do talk with other patients, while we're waiting at the doc office.  I rarely see the same people twice, so it is hard to move from casual conversation to discussing getting together as friends. 

Btw, I live in horse country here in Kentucky.  I've been to many horse competitions.  I am not a huge fan, but will go with others.  I mean, I enjoy it, but can't call myself a huge fan.  Anyway, hopefully someone will be able to give you some suggestions in your area. 

Offline lincoln6echo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:08:41 am »
Hi Marchmain.

I'm not over there in the UK but can relate to the isolation since diagnosis. It's not been long but i'm just now starting to feel like getting out there again so I think that feeling can be pretty common. You aren't alone ;)

I hope you find a group that you feel comfortable with and can back in the game.

Cheers
lincoln.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:54:41 am »
Hi March,

How close are you to Dublin? If navigable or even if not, why not contact http://www.openhearthouse.ie/ and see if they know of a group nearer to you.

Also, may I suggest you modify your post headline to   Feeling Very Isolated in Ireland. Doing that may get you some replies from an Irish brother or sister.

Em

Offline Marchmain30

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:57:06 pm »
hello Guys,
-Tednlou2 Kentucky thoroughbred country lol .. love to go there sometime:-) Ive often met people at the clinic most keep to themselves kind of an in and out as quick as possible. thank God theres more who feel like me lol !
em and lincoln pleased to make your acquaintance too. thanks for the advice and kind words  ;) ;) ;)

M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.