Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:13:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 543
Total: 544

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 160402 times)

Offline joemutt

Re: Smokers
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2007, 03:53:39 am »
Fumare e una cattiva abitudine ma qui da noi e perfetto?
(My Berlitz Italian taught me this)
Smoking is a bad habit but who among us is perfect?

I kicked it 4 years ago, cold turkey, glad I'm rid of it,
cannot stand the smell anymore,
but ok, you gotta do what you gotta do
just dont blow smoke in my face (or up my ass for that matter)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:58:21 am by joemutt »

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2007, 04:26:45 am »
I had a similar experience to Joseph.  I grew up in a house of chain smoking parents (who god rest their souls both passed on from lung cancer.).  I have never smoked in my life, my clothes used to smell of cigarettes when I was a kid, and there were always dirty ashtrays on tables in my family home.  I spent too many years passive smoking and smelling like an ashtray, and it was enough to make sure I never picked up a single cigarette. 

If I see a hot guy, and he suddenly lights up a cigarette, it's an instant turn off for me and I'll forget any lusty thoughts I had for him pre-lighting one up.  It's a deal breaker.

Having said that, each to their own, I don't care what you do to your lungs or what you spend your money on... however, I'd just rather die by my own doing, and not someone elses 2nd hand smoke.  Oh wait.. I am dying by my own doing because I was an irresponsible whore.. Doh! 

Either way, each to their own.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:41:38 am by cubbybear »

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2007, 05:10:38 am »
I also am skeptical about just how dangerous second smoke would be to someone just passing by it on the street.

This one cracks me up! Honestly!

Don't they realise what's coming out of the exhaust pipes of every vehicle driving down the street? Don’t they know city air is polluted air? That BIG city air is a soup of deadly toxins they are breathing day and night?

Oh yah, everybody wants to rule the world.

Now if you still insist on breathing my second hand smoke, I’m gonna have to start charging you a user fee.  ;)

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:17 am »

As was referenced in an earlier post here, there has been some correlation found between smokers and the latter, or non-, onset of Alzheimer's.  Of course I'm not suggesting anyone take up smoking.

Whatever in the world happened to live and let live?  Especially for those of us in a sexual minority who have felt the disapproval of society (if we're old enough to remember how prevalent that was.)

Tell ya what...maybe I'll consider smoking cessation when some things that bother ME about people stop, such as:
--  these loud 'chopper' motorcycles that rattle windows as they go by
--  people cranking out babies every other year (which my property taxes have to support via their schooling, even though I've no children)
--  unsupervised children running wild in restaurants, stores, airplanes, etc. (Pet peeve #2!!!)
--  people whose actions and words do not align, eg., game players. (Pet peeve #1!!!)
--  junk mail and telemarketers
--  raunchy garbage on TV and in movies

Get my point??

Gary
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:17:18 am by Gary85741 »
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Scott94596

• i am like a fine wine-i get better with time
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:51 am »
Hiv people who smoke-should STOP!!!!!! >:( Dont you people know you are killing yourseleves and people who don't smoke? Smoking has destroyed my mother who has lung disease in michigan. Caused from smoking. I am sick of it!!!! I am a staunch anti-smoking advocate in northern california. The bottom line is- hiv and smoking are a bad mix.

Offline squareman

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2007, 10:13:19 am »
I was glad to see a post on this, as I have always wondered why anyone with HIV or any other serious disease would continue such reckless behavior. (Not casting stones, as I recognize it's my reckless behavior that, even if a non-smoker, got me here.)

That being said, I am curious to know if smokers recognize the impact that they have on those around them. I know that some are more conscious of their habit than others, but I become frustrated when I have to dodge smokers standing outside my building (who seem to form a herd that produces a disgusting cloud around them). And the ones that light up on the escaltors before we even get out of the subway ... don't get me started (have screamed at a few for such rude behavior).

Now that I think about it, smoking in public should be lumped together with HIV - which is criminalized in many states if you knowingly spread it. I'd back a law banning smoking in all public places, given that it directly spreads deadly toxins to those around you without their consent.

Anyone out there considering quitting - do it! If not for yourself (best reason), do it for the people who have to walk in your cancer-causing wake every day.

I can imagine you don't like being around smokers but do not exagerate. If you want to ban people smoking outside because of the health of the non smoking passers by it is best to ban all car traffic first which causes you a and all of us a lot more health trouble than some second hand smoke. It's a good thing smokers these days are not smoking in restaurants and public buildings anymore but some tolerance by non smokers is essential because too many of them think they will suddenly become healthy if noone even on the streets smokes anymore, which is a huge illusion, the simple air you breath by car, heating and factory pollution will kill you 1 million times faster.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2007, 10:42:53 am »
I was reading the AIDSmeds article on higher rates of lung cancer for people with HIV and I was surprised that "cigarette smoking is very common among HIV-positive people in the U.S. – one analysis indicated that 60% to 80% of those living with the virus are smokers (compared to smoking rates of 20% to 30% in the general population)" I've never smoked. Are there are lot of people on this forum who do? For those who smoke did you start before or after your diagnosis? I wonder why there is a correlation between HIV infection and smoking.

I didnt read all the posts as I jumped into this late...

My take is that a majority of us engage in all types of high risk activity and this correlates to both. 
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2007, 10:45:01 am »
just dont blow smoke in my face (or up my ass for that matter)

Really!  In my time, I've had so much smoke blown up my ass that the last time I farted, three Indians showed up.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2007, 11:09:48 am »
Really!  In my time, I've had so much smoke blown up my ass that the last time I farted, three Indians showed up.

ROFLMAO

OMG

TOO FUCKING FUNNY!!!!

Thanks man... THAT was priceless.
RIDE!!!

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2007, 11:27:37 am »
"Are you obese?  I'd say that's just as bad."

NO, I'm not obese and I agree obesity does cost this country dearly - however, that's not the subject bud.  Now go smoke your cigarrette.
;0

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2007, 11:31:43 am »
smoking kills non smokers. dont get in my face or you might pay the price.    >:(

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2007, 11:37:52 am »
smokers are rude and arrogant. >:( they kill non smokers-proven fact by professionals. you can go ahead and slowly kill yourself-just do not invade my air space when you are around me.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2007, 11:38:26 am »
Lots of things kill non smokers..... 
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2007, 11:39:45 am »
smokers are rude and arrogant. >:( they kill non smokers-proven fact by professionals. you can go ahead and slowly kill yourself-just do not invade my air space when you are around me.

WOW newbie...Way to come out
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2007, 11:40:30 am »
Lots of things kill non smokers..... 

Like smokers who find they've had enough of the attitude.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2007, 11:42:32 am »
Like smokers who find they've had enough of the attitude.

You my sir are en fuego this morning.
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2007, 11:46:49 am »
  8)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2007, 11:50:13 am »
"Are you obese?  I'd say that's just as bad."

NO, I'm not obese and I agree obesity does cost this country dearly - however, that's not the subject bud.  Now go smoke your cigarrette.

Nice deflection FAT BOY!!! :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2007, 11:51:26 am »
Quote from: Scott
smokers are rude and arrogant.

I resent that comment.  Arrogant, yes... but not rude.  I went to finishing school and was a debutante.

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2007, 11:51:45 am »
i got your "ATTITUDE" comment. your the one who will be kicked off here. anyone who defends smokers aint worth a pile of dog crap.  >:(

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2007, 11:54:29 am »
i got your "ATTITUDE" comment. your the one who will be kicked off here. anyone who defends smokers aint worth a pile of dog crap.  >:(

Twofires is that you?
RIDE!!!

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2007, 11:56:25 am »
fyi-phillygirl :D hahahahahaha-smokers are arrogant and rude in california. probably because they cant smoke in bars and restaurants. philly is still living in the middle ages and it needs to start caring about peoples health.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2007, 12:13:30 pm »
Twofires is that you?

LOL!  Really.  They may not share smoking, but they do share flame.

::Adds Scott to his Buddy List::
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:16:39 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2007, 12:14:42 pm »
Ah, yes... the Philly jokes.  NOW who's the elitist schmuck?

California is chock full of tired wannabes.  Anyway, I just moved here... I'm a New Yorker through and through and we all think of California as positively parochial.

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2007, 12:20:09 pm »
I hear most of you in philly eat out of garbage cans. LOL haahahaha :D time for you to crawl back in yours. ROTFLMFAO we in california hate new yorkers. philly. new york. all the same low life trash to me.  ;D

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2007, 12:24:36 pm »
I just think that Gary made a good point in post #103.  There are accomodations and compromises that just have to be made as a part of society. 

smoking kills non smokers. dont get in my face or you might pay the price.    >:(

Bring it!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2007, 12:27:18 pm »
philly267 AND Scott94596:

end this now.  You've both been warned.  Keep it up, and you'll both get TOs.

Peter

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2007, 12:28:17 pm »
no way in hell do i compromise anything, especially when it comes to my health. >:( already dealing with aids. dont need to be dealing with jerks who are smokers. you either are one or have been one. shame on you for supporting a disgusting health habit.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2007, 12:30:21 pm »

oh no he did not just post again after being warned

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2007, 12:31:22 pm »
Yes, well your anger is bringing my t-cells down by the minute.  

I'm not necessarily supporting a habit.  I'm supporting cooperative coexistence.

(And you must have compromised something somewhere along the way...else you wouldn't be here, eh?)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2007, 12:33:09 pm »
This is a job for:

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2007, 12:33:43 pm »
I can imagine you don't like being around smokers but do not exagerate. If you want to ban people smoking outside because of the health of the non smoking passers by it is best to ban all car traffic first which causes you a and all of us a lot more health trouble than some second hand smoke. It's a good thing smokers these days are not smoking in restaurants and public buildings anymore but some tolerance by non smokers is essential because too many of them think they will suddenly become healthy if noone even on the streets smokes anymore, which is a huge illusion, the simple air you breath by car, heating and factory pollution will kill you 1 million times faster.

Several people have mentioned the issue of other emissions in this debate, namely automotive. It's a valid point, and one that I've thought about a lot before. What's not been said, however, is that they do in fact aggressively regulate emissions from automobiles for the very reason that they are known toxins. In California, for example, you cannot buy or manufacture a diesel vehicles unless it meets a 99% emissions-free clean air test (which no U.S. manufacturer, including DaimlerChrysler or Volkswagen has been able to achieve).

In addition, studies have shown that cigarettes are, in fact, more harmful than the commons auto emissions - in some cases by up to 10 times more.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6312

Putting the science aside, I think the key thing for smokers to take away from this issue is respecting those whom your own personal choices impact. Our individual rights end where other people's rights begin, and many individuals choose not to smoke because of the damage it does. That means that they have a right to protect themselves, including preventing your behavior and choices from overriding their decision.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2007, 12:38:56 pm »
Scott,

You can also feel free to leave messages like this out of my PM box:

then FUCK OFF

kthxbye!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2007, 12:44:36 pm »
Sounds like someone needs to dissmount thier high horse. I am quiting smoking but I will never judge someone who does.  (cough..scott...scott)

remember....

He who has not sinned....
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline gatortony

« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2007, 12:45:42 pm »
I've smoked since I was 16 (dinosaurs roamed the Earth) and am sad to report my diagnosis only served to "upgrade" me from mediums to the full on cowboy killers. Have been on Wellbutrin for depression.  Strangely, this has done absolutely nothing to curb my desire for cigarettes.  Guess you have to want it for the magic bupropion gods to smile down and rip the pack out of your hands.  I truly do feel the sting of the social stigma attached to being a smoker, especially as I work on a college campus with strictly enforced smoking regulations and a freshman crop of kids raised on the Truth campaign who take pleasure in looking at me and coughing.  I make it a point not to smoke near people, in their home or car or anyplace my personal choice of poison will anger the good people. 

Smoking is my most powerful addiction:  Have given up more drugs than Janis Joplin could do in 10 years yet find it impossible to even want to quit the Marlboros.  Insouciance?  Devil may care?  Not sure what drives me to keep on puffing, especially in light of recent discoveries.

Heureux, qui comme Ulysse a fait un beau voyage.....

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2007, 12:46:38 pm »
i am going to express what i feel about smokers and smoking. i dont give a rats ass if you others agree or not.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2007, 12:47:08 pm »
And yes, Chaplin Guy, to a point.  But I think removing smoking from inside restaurants & such is fair enough.  When it gets to the point that people are chastised for smoking in open air areas or in their own homes, I think it is getting into an overly invasive area.  Because as Gary said in #103, there are points where you just have to accept the existence of some things, people, habits etc that you don't particularly like- as part of the price for comingling in the world.  You mentioned HIV way earlier on.  There are many in the world that would use that very logic to argue why we should all be removed from society...because they see our existence as an infringment on how they believe the perfect world should be.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Scott94596

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:24 pm »
LIKE I SAID BEFORE-YOU SMOKERS BETTER STAY AWAY FROM ME.  >:(

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:24 pm »
Scott....we can express ours views on assholes....just like you can express your views on smokers.
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2007, 12:53:53 pm »
LIKE I SAID BEFORE-YOU SMOKERS BETTER STAY AWAY FROM ME.  >:(

Wow.  Somebody neds a cigarette.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:30 pm »
Swede -- you've been warned as well.  Will everyone please return to a more civilized discourse, please?

Peter

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2007, 12:58:26 pm »
Swede -- you've been warned as well.  Will everyone please return to a more civilized discourse, please?

Peter

Yeah!  We're having a great discussion about nuggets over in the Porn thread!   :D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2007, 01:05:30 pm »
Just put on kd lang's Drag album (nearly ten years old, wow). Now playing is track #4, "My Last Cigarette."

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2007, 01:07:36 pm »
Yeah!  We're having a great discussion about nuggets over in the Porn thread!   :D

Very wholesome, and chocked full of goodies.

-joseph

Offline gatortony

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:18 pm »
Listening to a song by The Smiths:
"What she said, I smoke, because I'm hoping for an early death and I need to cling to something".

Guess that's my story.  Sad but true... 

Was outside (far away from people) having my noonday cig and thought of this thread and how this makes me a fag (by british standards) hag.  Anything for a laugh, I guess.
Heureux, qui comme Ulysse a fait un beau voyage.....

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2007, 01:23:37 pm »
le sigh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:26:30 pm by philly267 »

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2007, 01:25:48 pm »
I'm ready to go have one as well... and i QUIT smoking.

<-- who gets BOTH sides of the issue.
RIDE!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2007, 01:26:04 pm »
philly267 AND Scott94596:

end this now.  You've both been warned.  Keep it up, and you'll both get TOs.

Peter

::noted::

though in fairness I don't think I began the insults

::ignore function utilized::
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:27:54 pm by philly267 »

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2007, 01:33:55 pm »
Philly -- we really don't care who starts things.  We issue warnings and TOs because of flame wars, both to those that start one, and to those that respond to them in kind.

Peter

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2007, 01:39:43 pm »
Philly -- we really don't care who starts things.  We issue warnings and TOs because of flame wars, both to those that start one, and to those that respond to them in kind.

Peter

Peter smells like girly things. :)

LOL

-joseph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.