Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:19:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 339
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Penile Biopsy - Dreading it :-(  (Read 26233 times)

Offline Zohar

Penile Biopsy - Dreading it :-(
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:54 am »
I have to have a penile biopsy in about six weeks and, perhaps, understandably, I'm quite apprehensive about it. As any man will appreciate, sharp instruments and penises do not a happy partnership make.

I know the amount of skin they remove is tiny and they give you a local anesthetic but I really can't bear the thought of a needle going directly into the head of my penis as it's so sensistive - to the extent that even when I touch it I feel discomfort (I'm not circumcised).

I've been told they will finish off by putting a stitch or two into it, which presumably will mean that having erections for some time afterwards will be out the question.

I wouldn't mind if it was pretty much anywhere else on my body (well, apart from somewhere visible on my face, but even then I doubt I'd worry so much about discomfort).

I'm pretty stressed about the whole thing to be honest and because of the nature of it I don't feel I can talk to anyone about it.

Any advice greatly received. :(
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Penile Biopsy - Dreading it :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:03:49 am »
Ow honey, I don't blame you for being apprehensive. I know it's not quite the same thing, but when I had a liver biopsy the worst part was the needle for the local anesthetic. The attending nurse told me to hold her hand and I'm sure she was sorry because I damn near broke it.

You might enquire if you can be permitted to have a mild sedative (something like diazepam perhaps) a half-hour or so before the procedure. I think if I were to have to have my sensitive bits biopsied, they'd have to either sedate me or tie my hands - and legs - to the bed or exam table. For their own safety.

Hopefully the wait will be the worst part of this. Hope it goes well for you. Good luck!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Zohar

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:58 am »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:19:36 am by Zohar »

Offline Zohar

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:18:32 am »
Ow honey, I don't blame you for being apprehensive. I know it's not quite the same thing, but when I had a liver biopsy the worst part was the needle for the local anesthetic. The attending nurse told me to hold her hand and I'm sure she was sorry because I damn near broke it.

You might enquire if you can be permitted to have a mild sedative (something like diazepam perhaps) a half-hour or so before the procedure. I think if I were to have to have my sensitive bits biopsied, they'd have to either sedate me or tie my hands - and legs - to the bed or exam table. For their own safety.

Hopefully the wait will be the worst part of this. Hope it goes well for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Ann. I know what you mean about being held down or sedated as that's been my thought too. Apparently the discomfort lasts for around 20 seconds which I know is nothing but I fear it will seem like an age.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:58 am »
Apparently the discomfort lasts for around 20 seconds which I know is nothing but I fear it will seem like an age.

Yeah, they always tell you shit like that. If the doctor says "just a little prick", you have my permission to slap him. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:43:09 am »
Wow. Yikes.

Understandably you are dreading it! I feel for you buddy. As Ann says, definitly ask for a sedative I'm sure they will be fine with that.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:48:47 am »

Ouch Zohar.....   I hope you have a quick and painless procedure.  You never know, maybe this one time the doctor could be telling the truth about it being "just a little prick".
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline ngo1

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 01:39:22 pm »

Ouch Zohar.....   I hope you have a quick and painless procedure.  You never know, maybe this one time the doctor could be telling the truth about it being "just a little prick".
Very funny Skeebo,how you manage to find humor in all this is beyond me but I liked that anyway!!
"Those who pray hundred times a day are not necessarily better than those who masturbate a couple of times a day"......

Offline Zohar

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33:45 pm »
Very funny Skeebo,how you manage to find humor in all this is beyond me but I liked that anyway!!

Hmmm....call me humourless but it's not funny to me.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:50:06 pm »
Hmmm....call me humourless but it's not funny to me.

See the joke is the prick of the needle and prick being slang for...Wait is that not what you meant?  Sorry man, I'm really curious to know why your penis would need to be biopsied but I suppose it's fairly private.  I would definitely see if they would be willing to give you something for anxiety beforehand as Ann suggested.  I also guess the pain of the needle prick is going to be relative to where the needle is stuck.  As for the no erections thing,  when you find a way to completely control not having erections let me know cause I get them constantly.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:18 pm »
having erections let me know cause I get them constantly.

AND you have my number  ;D
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Zohar

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:05:53 am »
See the joke is the prick of the needle and prick being slang for...Wait is that not what you meant?

Yes. I'm aware that prick is slang for penis.

If there's anyone who can offer genuine advice/support without resorting to macho jocularity, I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:08:57 am by Zohar »

Offline BM

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:04 am »
When I'm getting dental work I request a numbing gel that ensures I don't feel the "scratch" of needle. I'm sure they must have something similar available for such a delicate body area.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 10:33:33 am »
ouch ..why the penile biopsy if u dont mind me asking? 
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:09 pm »
I really can't bear the thought of a needle going directly into the head of my penis as it's so sensistive

1. I am sure it will be painless

2. You obviously have never tried Caverject.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »
I would definitely request a prescription for some xanax to take right before you go to this appointment.  While I've not had this specific procedure, it's what my doctor did when I had invasive things done up my asshole, including stitches and of course the numbing needle.  At least it will calm your nerves somewhat -- not completely, but enough so you're not a total mess.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:34 am »

- matt

I think I've had someone threaten to use caverject on me before, but frankly if you need that is it even worth going through with it?

Offline Zohar

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 06:43:43 am »

- matt

Why do you say it will be 'quite  painless'? The literature I was given says that the pain occurs when the doctor injects the site which takes 20 seconds. And then it goes numb so that they can perform the actual biopsy. I know 20 seconds is not long but we're talking about the head of the penis - my super sensitive non-circumcised penis which can make me flinch even when I touch it.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:43 am »
Why do you say it will be 'quite  painless'? The literature I was given says that the pain occurs when the doctor injects the site which takes 20 seconds. And then it goes numb so that they can perform the actual biopsy. I know 20 seconds is not long but we're talking about the head of the penis - my super sensitive non-circumcised penis which can make me flinch even when I touch it.

I do not understand why they cannot rub some numbing agent on the site before they inject you, like they do when they give you a shot in the mouth??? You need to ask them about this.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 11:36:16 am »

Zohar, is being totally knocked out an option?  I don't know about you, but if it were me I would want to be put to sleep for this.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 03:23:32 pm »
Code: [Select]
Why do you say it will be 'quite  painless'?
I was circumcised under local anesthetic and the "pain" from the needle for the 1st lignocaine shot was much like that of a blood draw from the arm. It was a prick (pardon the pun) on the surface of the skin but no pain as such. There was a minor physical sensation of the needle going in but it didn't hurt really.

The anesthetic is usually given some way up the shaft, not at the end.  Numbing gel applied to the injection site beforehand is often used (but I had none). The nerve block is made on the top of the penis, one shot either side, to a depth of a few mm.  Firstly, because the nerves that need to be numbed are easy to reach there and second to avoid contamination at the biopsy site. You could always ask for a Valium beforehand if this helps, or even gas and air.

Hope this helps.

"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Zohar

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:12 pm »
Zohar, is being totally knocked out an option?  I don't know about you, but if it were me I would want to be put to sleep for this.

Personally, I would rather be asleep, but it's not something they do for skin biospies and, y'know, there is always risk of death with a general, albeit small.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 06:46:02 pm »
Code: [Select]
Why do you say it will be 'quite  painless'?
I was circumcised under local anesthetic and the "pain" from the needle for the 1st lignocaine shot was much like that of a blood draw from the arm. It was a prick (pardon the pun) on the surface of the skin but no pain as such. There was a minor physical sensation of the needle going in but it didn't hurt really.

The anesthetic is usually given some way up the shaft, not at the end.  Numbing gel applied to the injection site beforehand is often used (but I had none). The nerve block is made on the top of the penis, one shot either side, to a depth of a few mm.  Firstly, because the nerves that need to be numbed are easy to reach there and second to avoid contamination at the biopsy site. You could always ask for a Valium beforehand if this helps, or even gas and air.

Do you still think this would be the case when they're removing skin from the glans? I can see how that would work for a circumcision but not so sure for what I'm having done...

Offline JackSmith

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 09:34:47 pm »
Zohar,

I haven't had exactly this procedure but my urological issues have made me an unfortunate expert on this topic...and I can sympathize with you.  The first time a doctor ever brought a needle near my penis I nearly sweat through all my (remaining) clothes and the exam table paper.  Gross, sorry.  Anyway here are my thoughts on this...

EMLA cream (lidocaine / prilocaine) is very very effective on the penis.   The nerves are almost all on the outer surface - so it works pretty well.  The trick is that it must be "slapped on" in a thick layer (seriously - you'll see this in the instructions) - not rubbed in.  And, it has to be covered for 1 hr.  It's very effective but I'm not so sure about the head area.  It is RX but if you call them, they should call it in for you prior to the appointment.  The point of the EMLA is to take some of the pain away from the lidocaine injection (though that isn't even too bad really...it is not fun)

I assume they will inject the base with lidocaine (normally where it goes) and you will have a totally numb penis (which in itself is weird, especially when you get in your car to drive home). This can burn a little - but only for 5 seconds or less. EMLA could help it.  One thing you could ask for is MARCAINE which lasts much longer and I have found to be more effective than lidocaine.  Though docs dont like being told what to do - they might be ok with the request...esp since they are dealing with the head.  

The pain, after the procedure, should respond fine to the usual...vicodin for 2-3 days and then tylenol after that...or whatever painkillers you prefer.  

This is not an easy thing...the best thing to know is that it's not going to be completely awful with effective pain management and treating the area after (i dont know if they will tell you to use an antibiotic cream or what - but I would think they have some ideas for post-op treatment).  You will eventually heal, though there will be swelling and discomfort - but a few weeks later it'll be ok.  

Oh and I agree w/ the poster about xanax or some kind of thing like that.

The erection issue is sort of complicated....I think they should suture in a way that it will stand up to an erection (after all - you might not have a choice at night).  People with serious penile surgery are given erection - blocking medication while they are healing...but this can vary.   It doesn't sound invasive enough to require that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:01:29 pm by JackSmith »

Offline Zohar

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 06:03:19 am »
Thanks for all that, JackSmith, and sorry that you have to be an 'expert' on this topic.

I think I will call and speak to someone who can tell me exactly what the biopsy will entail, as they may vary the procedure slightly depending on the part of the body it's performed. So, I'll ask then about the EMLA cream and see what they say, as well as Xanax. I don't know if the person performing the biopsy will have prescribing powers so presumably things like ELMA and Xanax would need to be sorted out in advance.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:06:41 am by Zohar »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 06:06:16 am »
Zohar, that sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Zohar

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 10:53:28 am »
Having waited a week for someone from the hospital to return my call, I decided to chase again today. I spoke to a nurse and explained my anxiety and she said there would be a 'few minutes of pain'. When I told her I couldn't really imagine being able to endure that her mood turned and she went off to find someone else for me to speak to. She then returned to the phone saying that no one else was around but, in any case, she'd given me all the information. I pressed on and said that I'd still like to speak someone who has performed the procedure, althought it doesn't have to be the doctor that is doing mine, and she snapped that there was nothing else to tell me as everything was on the general biopsy information sheet I'd received. I then pointed out that I was entitled to have my concerns addressed, which she at least conceded.

Hmmmm... not exactly the reassuring conversation I was hoping for.  :(
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:01:26 am by Zohar »

Offline QuietGuy

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 02:48:42 pm »
I think I've had someone threaten to use caverject on me before, but frankly if you need that is it even worth going through with it?

As someone who has used Caverject/Edex (alprostadil) injections for over 14 yrs, I can assure you, it is VERY worth it!

(My apologies to the OP as this doen't address your concerns...hoping the proceure goes/went as well as can be expected.)

Offline Zohar

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:03 am »
I finally had this yesterday.  It turned out that the dermatologist had specified that the biopsy should be taken from the affected area on the foreskin, which I wasn't happy about as I didn't want to be left with a visible scar. This resulted in a protracted discussion with the doctor who was performing the op, with her attempting to persuade me to do that and me saying no, it should be taken from the head of the penis, which is also affected.

I asked her if a numbing agent could be used and she said they never have done in the past. So I said in that case it was highly unlikely they would be able to hold me down long enough for to take the sample from anywhere. She then sent a nurse off to get some gel, but tried to persuade me just to have it done without it. I said no.  The gel was then applied to both affected areas and she sent me off for 15 minutes to get to work on another patient and for me to 'have a think'. At this point my main thought was doing a runner.  I went back after quarter of an hour, and she asked me if I would let her take the forsekin sample and I told her my view hadn't changed, so the head of the penis it was.

The numbing agent definitely had some effect but it wasn't 100%, and because it was only applied to small areas I was still jumpy when she was handling my penis. And yes, I could feel the needle that delivered that the anasthetic go in. It wasn't as sharp as imagiined but I felt it. The next few minutes, or so were ok where she set about obtaining the skin sample, but by far the worse aspect was being stitched up and being able to feel the yarn being pulled through the head of my penis; a horrible, tugging and yanking sensation. And when I thought that was over with, she decided that I needed another stitch because I was losing a lot of blood. Really not pleasant at all.

I woke up feeling almost hungover today and still feel nauseous and not quite right, which I assume is just the anxiety of it all. My penis is, inevitably sore, and I'm trying very hard not to have erections, which, as with anything you're trying not to think about means that I can think of nothing else.

Anyway, I have an appointment to see the dermotologist at the end of June where I should get the diagnosis and am just hoping that he doesn't insist on a further sample from the foreskin.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:14:08 pm by Zohar »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.