Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:17:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 243
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Guido from Barilla says Gays can eat another brand of pasta!  (Read 12962 times)

Offline Habersham

Guido from Barilla says Gays can eat another brand of pasta!
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:18:31 pm »

and before you get all huffy his mother named him that!

http://americablog.com/2013/09/pasta-barilla-gays-can-eat-someone-elses-pasta.html

Because I Can

Offline buginme2

Re: Guido from Barilla says Gays can eat another brand of pasta!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »
That's okay

De Cecco is a much better brand anyway.  Buy De Cecco!!!

It comes in the blue box, their orriccetta is awesome.

www.dececcousa.com

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »
That pasta sucks anyway . I use a low carb pasta from Dreamfield that doesn't effect my blood sugar one little bit . I crave starchy food but if I eat that crap pasta I have to inject lots of insulin and even then it puts my almost catatonic about 2 hours after I eat it .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »
Another chauvinist homophobe old manufacturing capitalist opens mouth, puts foot in...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »
That pasta sucks anyway . I use a low carb pasta from Dreamfield that doesn't effect my blood sugar one little bit . I crave starchy food but if I eat that crap pasta I have to inject lots of insulin and even then it puts my almost catatonic about 2 hours after I eat it .

This is good to know. My wife is type 1 diabetic and we use quite a lot of pasta in our cooking.

Of course, I priced it on Amazon and it runs about 3x the cost of Barilla. Go figure. My "cheap" gene is curled up in a fetal position and is  crying "no wanna, no wanna". But if it helps my wife better control her glucose levels, it'll be worth it.

As long as my "cheap" gene is gut-punched, any ice cream to recommend?
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:48:40 pm »
I always use Barilla or Baronia for dried pasta. But I also have a place mere blocks away called Talluto's that makes fresh pasta.

Look... video: https://vimeo.com/9392302#at=0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:21:10 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Tool man

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:25:17 pm »
My husband and I are really gay, we will make our own damn pasta!

If gays "like our pasta and our advertising, they'll eat our pasta, if they don't like it then they will not eat it and they will eat another brand," he said./quote]

TM
Like I tell my husband, "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »
This is good to know. My wife is type 1 diabetic and we use quite a lot of pasta in our cooking.

Of course, I priced it on Amazon and it runs about 3x the cost of Barilla. Go figure. My "cheap" gene is curled up in a fetal position and is  crying "no wanna, no wanna". But if it helps my wife better control her glucose levels, it'll be worth it.

As long as my "cheap" gene is gut-punched, any ice cream to recommend?

I buy Dreamfield pasta at Publix supermarket and its not much more than the regular pasta .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:32 pm »
 I would still buy Barilla. I dont give a rats ass that the old CEO has antiquated ideas about the italian mama in the kitchen...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »
CARBS!!?! You people eat carbs?!?!!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »
I use Barilla, whatever the whole grain kind is called.  I keep it to the regular serving size, 1/2 cup, and of course 1/2 cup sauce, and my sugar never goes up.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »
I ate boiled organic cured ham, with tomatoes, mustard, olive oil, and crusty bread for dinner.  So yes, carbs.....
For breakfast I ate goat cheese and apricot jam on crusty bread.

I guess I need to cut down the carbs if I want to lose my love handles....

Offline weasel

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »
I would still buy Barilla. I dont give a rats ass that the old CEO has antiquated ideas about the italian mama in the kitchen...

REALLY  >:(     

We had 4 boxes , they will go to the food bank ! 

Weasel

P.s. I would toss it , but was told by GAY friends to donate it ,so I will .
" Live and let Live "

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 06:48:29 pm »
My husband and I are really gay, we will make our own damn pasta!

If gays "like our pasta and our advertising, they'll eat our pasta, if they don't like it then they will not eat it and they will eat another brand," he said./quote]

TM

Bob and I are really GAY , we will not be outdone  :)
   I have made Noodles , I will start doing again  ;)
    With all the gizmos I have in the kitchen not really sure why I do not make Spogetty ?

Thanks for the idea  ToolMan  :)

Weasel

P.s.  Macaroni is a staple food .
" Live and let Live "

Offline darryaz

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 11:05:29 pm »
I'll have to look for my pasta machine in the attic.  I haven't used it in several years.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:25:36 pm »
I would make my own pasta but the kitchen in my penthouse is extremely small. You know how city folks are.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 01:23:23 am »
My Italian stepfather immigrated to the US as a child and was our primary cook. He laughed at American's pasta.  Being a tolerant man who could put up with my mother and four kids made him pert near a saint.

One great regret that I have is that he making an authentic dish that sounded like "yuck"  I think it was actually yachkee or something like that.  He shouldn't have cooked it all day as he got tired of hillbilly folk keep referring to it as "yuck".

He got so irritated that he pitched it all in the trash.  At the time, we liked Americanized pasta.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 03:37:49 am »
Barilla (America) has dissociated itself from Barilla (Italia) in regards to this issue so it may be unfair for anyone stateside to boycott the company.

https://twitter.com/BarillaUS/status/383346542218084352

More importantly, though, is how are you people eating bread products while on HAART? If I so much as look at a croissant or smell a bagel, I have to spend the day running hither and yon in search of any available restroom.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 03:39:02 am »
One great regret that I have is that he making an authentic dish that sounded like "yuck"  I think it was actually yachkee or something like that.  He shouldn't have cooked it all day as he got tired of hillbilly folk keep referring to it as "yuck".

Could it have been gnocchi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnocchi
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 04:33:09 am »
More importantly, though, is how are you people eating bread products while on HAART? If I so much as look at a croissant or smell a bagel, I have to spend the day running hither and yon in search of any available restroom.

This came up in some other thread. I got all huffy when a new member said "most" HIV+ people have the runs and/or damaged guts....

I had murderously high viral load for a few months and then went on haart. I've been on different combos since.  The only noted poo issue was with the Reyataz Norvir but it wasn't that bad.

I didn't intend to be flippant or say that gut issues aren't common, I just had the impression that it was also pretty much just as common nowadays for HIV+ people to be able to eat and drink what they want.  Poo poo platters without poo poo problems.

I worry sometimes when people talk about, or report, the negatives of living with HIV as if they are universal, inevitable, unfixable, as in, "well, that's the lot we're in."   There are so many of these widely held "urban legends" of hiv positivity...  I worry because may be a few people put up with something thinking there is no fix when there might be.

Sometimes there is no fix, but maybe sometimes there is.....  Doesn't that apply to a lot about living with with HIV? 

People say, I'm HIV+ so I'll never have a dating life.  And then many realise they will.
Or I don't deserve love.
My life will be sickness and death.
etc etc etc

I'll never shit right again....  Maybe there are ways to fix this. 

But anyway, all this correcting and fine tuning, it can be daunting and exhausting...
Five years HIV and I still haven't thought much about protecting my bone density, for example.  And I should.................

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:35:32 am by mecch »

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:50 am »
Yeah, I was just kidding. I'm aware I'm the only one who seems to have this problem. ;)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 07:40:16 am »
This came up in some other thread. I got all huffy when a new member said "most" HIV+ people have the runs and/or damaged guts....

I had murderously high viral load for a few months and then went on haart. I've been on different combos since.  The only noted poo issue was with the Reyataz Norvir but it wasn't that bad.

I didn't intend to be flippant or say that gut issues aren't common, I just had the impression that it was also pretty much just as common nowadays for HIV+ people to be able to eat and drink what they want.  Poo poo platters without poo poo problems.

I worry sometimes when people talk about, or report, the negatives of living with HIV as if they are universal, inevitable, unfixable, as in, "well, that's the lot we're in."   There are so many of these widely held "urban legends" of hiv positivity...  I worry because may be a few people put up with something thinking there is no fix when there might be.

Sometimes there is no fix, but maybe sometimes there is.....  Doesn't that apply to a lot about living with with HIV? 

People say, I'm HIV+ so I'll never have a dating life.  And then many realise they will.
Or I don't deserve love.
My life will be sickness and death.
etc etc etc

I'll never shit right again....  Maybe there are ways to fix this. 

But anyway, all this correcting and fine tuning, it can be daunting and exhausting...
Five years HIV and I still haven't thought much about protecting my bone density, for example.  And I should.................

Give me a break Heidi. When you first joined the forums you had to be talked off the ledge for asking the same questions you now poo-poo as irrelevant.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 08:51:04 pm »
Turns out this is a moot point for me.  The grocery store I shop at has never carried Barilla pastas.

I still won't eat at Chik-fil-A

Offline moxieinme

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 09:45:06 am »
Oh for the innocent days of youth when pasta choices were limited to Chef Boyardee. Ravioli-Os or Spahghetti-Os, kids?
Salvage therapy wrangler, riding the poz bronco and dodging bullets for over 24 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CD4 at diagnosis 1989 = 330
Began treatment (AZT) 1989
Lowest labs 1998: CD4=74, 7%, VL=750,000
First sustained undetectable VL in 20 years (2009); CD4=315
Current labs (12/13): CD4=637, 27%, VL=<20
Current meds: Prezista, Isentress, Intellence, Norvir

Offline britchick

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 01:47:57 pm »
You just made me go and look in the cupboard!I Love  brown wholewheat pasta...Napolina or Tesco....both made in Italy.

Dont get me wrong... i love white pasta , white bread, especially ciabbatta  even more, but  i look pregnant within an hour of eating it..LOL!!!!!!!!!!

My mum and  I went to Italy six yrs ago ....and brought hundreds of pasta and sauces back.....that was  a fab mini break...feel hungry again just thinking about it!

britchickx

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 02:01:35 pm »

Barilla= " overpriced".  We don't but that brand.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline darryaz

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 02:56:26 pm »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 08:29:07 pm »
The only way for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.  Voting with your wallet is about as American as you can get.

Joe

Offline wolfter

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 09:24:38 pm »
Could it have been gnocchi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnocchi

I think that just might be it.  We never knew how it was spelled and phonics never produced any results.  I might attempt to try the recipe and see if it looks familiar. 

thanks.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 11:04:24 pm »
Saw this on FB.  Not sure what it is really about or whether real.  Looks real, but not sure whether connected to the remarks.  If so, I imagine this is in a very gay neighborhood.  Or, very progressive.

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 06:29:49 am »
blow up the image. Its "buy one get one free".  Not free free.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 06:51:22 am »
Barilla exec apologizes for remarks on gays

Bowing to continuing criticism of his controversial remarks about gays, Guido Barilla has pledged to meet with groups "that best represent the evolution of the family, including those who have been offended by my words."

The concession, posted in a video apology on the website of his family-owned pasta giant, came as the company tried to calm the boycott calls and criticism ignited last week when Barilla said he would not show gay families in company ads.

"I would never make a spot with a homosexual family," Barilla said Thursday on the Italy radio program La Zanzara (The Mosquito), according to Italian news agency ANSA. "Not out of a lack of respect but because I do not see it like they do. (My idea of) family is a classic family where the woman has a fundamental role."

ANSA reported that when the show's hosts noted that gays and lesbians eat pasta, Barilla responded, "That's fine if they like our pasta and our communication, they can eat them. Otherwise, they can eat another pasta."

Barilla also said, "I respect everyone who does what they want to do without bothering others," ANSA reported. He said he supported gay marriage "but not adoption in gay families."

"As a father of multiple children, I believe it's very hard to raise kids in a same-sex couple," Barilla said, according to ANSA.

The remarks drew an unwelcome spotlight to the Barilla Group, the private Italian company founded in 1877 where Guido Barilla and his brothers, Luca and Paolo, represent the fourth generation of family-owned leadership. According to the firm's website, Barilla employs more than 8,000 workers, owns 30 production sites and each year produces 1.7 million tons of food products distributed to 100 countries.

Guido Barilla, the company's chairman, initially issued a written apology on his firm's website, saying that while his comments were hurtful "they are not a genuine view of my opinion." But the comments did little to ease rising calls for boycotts and petitions that drew thousands of signatures from angry protesters around the world.

"We accept his invitation to not eat his pasta," said Aurelio Mancuso, president of gay-rights group Equality Italia, ANSA reported

"Here we have another example of homophobia, Italian style," said Alessandro Zan, an Italian parliament member with the left-wing SEL party, ANSA reported.

The furor spread internationally via Twitter, where the hashtags #boicottabarilla and #boycottbarilla prompted numerous tweets.

"Now that we know pasta CEO G. Barilla is homophobic, it's a good day to say DeCecco is far better anyway," tweeted actress Mia Farrow.

Barilla pasta product competitors Bertolli and San Remo used the controversy to post social media advertising messages that stressed support for families of all types. "Pasta for all," proclaimed a similar Buitoni ad posted on Facebook.

Even Dario Fo, the Nobel Prize winner and Italian actor and playwright who once appeared in a Barilla ad, issued an open letter asking the executive to reconsider his wounding of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

A Change.org petition posted by Fo had drawn more than 52,000 supporting signatures as of Monday. That represents "a clear indicator that consumers are still pretty upset. If anything, it appears these campaigns are gaining momentum, not slowing down," Change.org spokesman Mark Anthony Dingbaum said Monday.

So Barilla ate crow in the new video apology, saying the reaction to his comments "depressed and saddened me."

"It is clear that I have a lot to learn about the lively debate concerning the evolution of the family," said Barilla. "In the coming weeks, I pledge to meet representatives of the groups that best represent the evolution of the family, including those who have been offended by my words."

GLAAD, a U.S. advocacy group for the LGBT community that had started asking officials at U.S. supermarket chains to speak out against Barilla's comments, on Monday called Barilla's pledge to meet with his critics a "good first step."

But the pasta executive should go further, by taking steps to ensure that same-sex couples in Italy receive equal benefits and are protected against job discrimination, said Rich Ferraro, GLAAD's vice president of communications. Ferraro also suggested that Barilla provide financial help to Italy-based LGBT organizations that combat prejudice.

"I think the public backlash shows that homophobia is bad for business today because we're living in a world where LGBT people are respected and accepted," said Ferraro. "That wasn't the case five years ago."

The Barilla controversy comes three months after Dan Cathy, president of Atlanta-based food chain Chick-fil-A, used Twitter to voice his opposition to the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that struck down the Defense of Marriage Act.

"Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies," Cathy wrote in a tweet that was later deleted.

USA TODAY reported earlier this month that Chick-fil-A appeared to be offering a moderated view.

"Our intent is not to support political or social agendas," said Steve Robinson, the firm's executive vice president for marketing. He added that the company's culture "is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender."

In a separate gay rights victory, Exxon Mobil said Friday it would provide health insurance and other worker benefits to married same-sex couples starting Oct. 1. The decision, which reversed years of the oil giant's opposition to such a policy, came in response to new federal government guidelines prompted by June's Supreme Court ruling.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 08:48:36 am »
So there is still hope I can sell my idea of an animated commercial called Homo and the Tramp .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 09:00:18 am »

Under pressure, Barilla finally made a new commercial.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxLBqjtfYA

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 04:38:11 pm »
How over-priced can a box of pasta be? 3 cents?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »
How over-priced can a box of pasta be? 3 cents?
Well, our major grocery chain (stop and shop) carries a wide selection of 3 brands. Barilla, Ronzoni, and their own brand. The "so called" regular prices are crazy. They alternate each week which brand they advertise to sell for a buck-a-box. It's all a farce.
Hate to say it but large retailers and their connection with their suppliers control most consumers buying habits. (not just in the grocery stores)
Retail has become fierce and not in a good way. I have come to loath them and I am one of them.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 05:37:46 pm »
Well I hope he educates himself and is rehabilitated.  I volunteer my help.  I, a gay man, volunteer to give him, who we must admit is a hot daddy or Italian silver fox, 30 lashes with a wet noodle.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.