Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 385
Total: 385

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ask and You Shall Receive  (Read 8487 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
Ask and You Shall Receive
« on: February 23, 2013, 02:08:39 pm »
OK, I'm cutting back on the drama, but since I made such a big deal of it, I'll wrap up the story here. This actually may be of benefit to anyone finding themselves in my situation.

Everyone told me not to bother with HASA (HIV/AIDS Services Administration) because I was too healthy (?) and made too much money (?). I listened to them because everyone I knew who had used HASA services did seem to have a rougher time than me (originally). As things progressed and my situation got worse and worse, that changed, and I was feeling a little bitter (to say the least) that people who seemed OK to me had access to services that I couldn't. I feel terrible about this, but I include it anyway. We can't be proud of every thought that goes through our heads.

Two weeks ago, my therapist at GMHC, realizing that I couldn't focus on anything because all I could think about was "where will I sleep" and "it's -140 degrees outside", suggested I try HASA anyway. What could it hurt?

I gathered the documentation from the old doctor and the health department (where I tested positive in the first place) and filled out the application with a case worker last week, with the understanding that it would be faxed or whatever. I no longer have a phone, so it was tough to stay in contact. I decided to just call HASA myself on Wednesday. It had been over a week, and I really just wanted to hear "No, you're not eligible, but let us connect you with [hopefully some other agency]".

They had never heard of me and promised that if an application had been submitted, it would be in the system - same day, same hour even. You get entered immediately because you get a number which follows from the minute your papers are touched.

So, they asked me to come in the next day. I went in on Thursday afternoon, around 2. I should have known better (always go to this sort of place at 10AM), because by the time my number was called, etc., it was 4. From 4 to 5, the case worker was tracking down my doctor (I mentioned this in another thread) or a social worker or anyone who could confirm that my paperwork was authentic. It's a formality, but I totally understand. It became clear that it wasn't going to happen, so as she asked if I had a place to sleep (I did) and said come in tomorrow morning with all your papers.

I went to the health department for a meningitis vaccine (round 2) and asked for official copies of all my paperwork. I walked this over to HASA, and within an hour, I had been placed in an SRO and set up with a benefits card for food.

That's all it took. I've been stressed beyond my own belief for two months, and all I needed to do was go to HASA. I've been to 6 separate agencies/nonprofits and everyone said "you need HASA, but don't bother, you're not eligible". I travelled all over the City with paperwork, while the HASA office is 20 blocks from where I had been staying. W. T. F? They even gave me round-trip "carfare" (a Metro card) for any trip I had to make there.

Had I gone right away, they would have paid for my old apartment, and I could have stayed. The rent was $100 less than the maximum allowed. I would still have my phone and a few "valuables" that I sold out of desperation. And all I had to do was take my paperwork to HASA.

So, I'm really glad my therapist at GMHC made that suggestion. I don't know why my application wasn't submitted the week earlier or why everyone told me I wasn't eligible, but I'll worry about that later. I'm also not going to be upset about what I lost because of waiting too long. I have what I still have and I can keep it.

So! Long story long: I live in an SRO in Harlem in room with a cot and a locking door. For those outside NYC and for middle class New Yorkers (haha), SRO means single resident occupancy and it's a form of public housing. I've spent time in them before, but never as a resident. Some have private bathrooms and kitchenettes, some have curfews, some allow visitors. Mine is just a room - no visitors allowed and no residents allowed in each others' rooms. They issued me sheets and a roll of toilet paper. There's one bathroom on the floor - like a коммуналка (if you speak Russian), and there's a curfew. It was good enough for millions of Soviets, and it's more than good enough for me.  It's very Oz, now that I think of it. ;)

The only "complaints" are: no Internet (haha, first world problem) and I was awakened by some homeless crazy guy (not me, some other homeless crazy guy) screaming at my door at 1AM. I think he was looking for the guy who used to live there. No complaints, really, because I went back to sleep, and I can find a library or something for more permanent Internet access. Right now I'm at my old place getting some things I left there. No one has moved in here yet, so I might be able to stay a couple of nights before March 1. No reason to except that it's closer to an office I have to be at on Monday morning. I'm here because I requested emergency housing, but I don't have to stay here forever, and the restrictions (curfew, no guests) aren't because of anything I've done. This is just the SRO that had space yesterday for emergency placements, and those are just the rules that apply to everyone. I wouldn't mind being in an SRO permanently (or until things turn around), but I don't want to stay in this one forever. They seem to think I'd rather find an apartment (for which I'm eligible), but I don't know. An SRO seems better if I had my own bathroom. This is nicer than my old apartment, but it's one of the less nice SROs I've been in, so...

Moral: All's well that ends well, folks, but don't let other people handle your affairs. You are not a case to be managed, but a human being. If anyone finds themselves in NYC in a similar situation, don't hesitate to PM per se, but I can tell you who to call, who not to call and what papers you need.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Ask and You Shall Receive
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 03:05:24 pm »
I did the HASA thing back in 2002 for a brief period while my SS disability was being processed. I got on it easy because I could dig back a decade and produce magic paperwork showing I once had <200 cd4 count. And mind you, this was before doctors had things computerized and I just happened to have xerox copies of my first year of labs. I can't remember if they stipulated that applicants needed AIDS-y numbers, just that it made approval instant. For some reason I think a friend of mine a year later got HASA and he'd never even had cd4 counts that forced him onto any HIV treatment -- he was basically a long term non-progressor.

Anyway, I guess I should have mentioned this to you earlier but I'm not 100% sure that's the route he went through (but what else could it have been?), plus I don't live in NYC any longer and neither does he since he moved to Berlin. Kind of sucks to be in an SRO though instead of your own apartment.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:02 pm »
That sounds like a big step in the right direction.   One step at a time.

Can you be put on a waiting list for an apt.?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 04:41:41 pm »
I did the HASA thing back in 2002 for a brief period while my SS disability was being processed. I got on it easy because I could dig back a decade and produce magic paperwork showing I once had <200 cd4 count. And mind you, this was before doctors had things computerized and I just happened to have xerox copies of my first year of labs. I can't remember if they stipulated that applicants needed AIDS-y numbers, just that it made approval instant. For some reason I think a friend of mine a year later got HASA and he'd never even had cd4 counts that forced him onto any HIV treatment -- he was basically a long term non-progressor.

Anyway, I guess I should have mentioned this to you earlier but I'm not 100% sure that's the route he went through (but what else could it have been?), plus I don't live in NYC any longer and neither does he since he moved to Berlin. Kind of sucks to be in an SRO though instead of your own apartment.

Oh, boy! You be Boy George, and I'll be Antony.

You still need to either have had a CD4 count below 200 or have at least two opportunistic infections that are on the list. Everyone advising me talked about it like I needed to have KS or PCP before I'd be considered! While the list is very specific about which infections are opportunistic and at what stage they have to be, I easily qualified, but I only qualified because I had the right documentation of when I did and didn't have certain infections and how severe they were at the time of treatment. Luckily (haha!) for me, it turns out I'm more than eligible even though my CD4 count was high at my first (and only) reading of it: 920. My first and only VL reading was 130,000+.

It's hard to know, but those two numbers indicate that I may have still been in acute infection when I was diagnosed (which is great, and I hope it's true!). I started Stribild right away, so, in theory I probably still have a high CD4 count but low VL. Of course, the stress of these last two months would have lowered an HIV- CD4 count. ;) If that's true, though, and since I have documentation on a few things I didn't have in late summer, then I may be prone to OIs because I shouldn't have been in the shape I was in at diagnosis. This is the thinking behind letting people like me into the program, I gather. I'm the sort of person who might rapidly progress to AIDS if left homeless and stressed (I mean, aren't most people?), so it's easier on the public coffers to just give me some assistance now so I can get back into the regular workforce and start paying for my own healthcare ASAP. If I got sicker, then it would just be a downward spiral. I gather. Apparently there's still hope now. ;)

I did discover (yet another) reason to dislike Christine Quinn while Googling this morning. She opposes HASA for All apparently. I'll look into this more, so please correct me if I'm wrong there. I don't like her anyway, so I was unfairly poised to jump at that link.

The SRO isn't so bad, and it's a lot better than what I was doing last week... It's also nicer than my old room which I paid $1000 a month for with hot water and heat a rarity. If I had my own bathroom and an Internet connection, you'd probably have trouble ever getting me out of Harlem... As it is, I'm gonna see if I can get either a longer term placement in one of the ones I know of that's a bit more private.

As for the Internet: I have a MAMP setup on my laptop, so I can do development work even without a connection. Most of it needs no connection, but I have to have a server for some things. And I download all the lectures for classes I take anyway so I can watch them at 2x speed. Other than that, everything I do online is, um entertainment, and I'll just find new entertainment.

As for the bathrooms: two of the rules on the sign-in sheet were: "don't throw your garbage out the windows" and "don't urinate in bottles; use the bathrooms". I initialled them both. I hope I can live up to the high standards! ;) I think I'll invest in some sandals for the shower, though. Ew...

Oh, and finally, it's mixed use, but everyone knows there are HASA folks there. My tattoo has become more practical as identification, haha.
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:00:03 pm »
That sounds like a big step in the right direction.   One step at a time.

Can you be put on a waiting list for an apt.?

Thanks! :) Yeah, this changes everything. I just realized this is the first bed that's "mine" since 2003. I don't have to be nice to anyone. I don't have to fuck anyone (sorry, crass, but true). I can go to bed whenever I want without asking. I don't have to do anything but sleep. It's a great feeling. I mean, technically it belongs to the City, but I've been living in the far East Village. Bloomy or his developer friends take whatever land they want down there anyway. ;) So no change in that department!

They were surprised I asked for an SRO placement instead of taking the weekend to find an apartment (find a below-market apartment in NYC over the weekend? wtf? I don't think that's possible...). Apparently most people fight SRO placements kicking and screaming? Go figure. I was thrilled, haven't smiled so much in years.

I'm supposed to look for an apartment right away, though there's no immediate deadline. In theory I'd like to focus on getting a job now, and in theory I could do that very quickly now that housing is not a constant stress. So, in theory, I could end up moving straight out of the SRO into my own apartment that I paid for myself. In theory. I get the feeling they expect me to be in the program a while, but I don't see any reason to get too comfortable or keep getting benefits if I don't need them. I don't want a "nice" apartment. I just want one that I'm able to pay for myself, and that was looking increasingly less likely before yesterday.

This placement is under the "emergency" category, meaning they just give you a room where ever there's space so you're not outside. I did get to put Manhattan as my first choice, and luckily that worked out. I'm OK with the Bronx, and Staten Island would be fun for a larf, but I do not want to go to Brooklyn or Queens (sorry, kids). I mean, I would've happily and with no (audible) complaints, but now I don't have to pretend to be happy. Hurray. :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:02:12 pm by oksikoko »

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:04:10 pm »
Oks;  I am very happy for you. One step up Maslow's hierarchy, now on to love/belonging and then self esteem....I think you have already checked the self-actualization box.

Again, good to hear,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:16:29 pm »
Glad it worked out for you! I suggested HASA to one of your first posts but was shot down. I know a bunch of guys on it. It seems like its pretty easy to get arouns the 2 OI thing. I think most off the guys i know used things like herpes to qualify! glad you found a little place to call your own, even if it is...**shudders**...uptown.  8)
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »
Glad it worked out for you! I suggested HASA to one of your first posts but was shot down. I know a bunch of guys on it. It seems like its pretty easy to get arouns the 2 OI thing. I think most off the guys i know used things like herpes to qualify! glad you found a little place to call your own, even if it is...**shudders**...uptown.  8)

You mean I pulled out my shameful record, both mental and physical and all I needed was herpes? ;)

"Shot down" is a little harsh. I told you I wasn't eligible. ;) This was on 1/31 here. I only say the date because that means that at that point, the reason I thought I wasn't eligible is because bum bum bum (ominous music) the place you go to told me I wasn't eligible and not to bother. ;) Can't wait to see the new doctor next week and find out how many kidneys I still have, if any.

Everyone else who said not to bother worked for nonprofits, and, in all fairness, one of them told me she wasn't sure, but she didn't think so. Those people you still go to are the only healthcare folks who said "don't bother", and really the only ones who should have known better. ;) But, what's done is done.

Actually, uptown is better because I'm above Central Park and can take the train down to midtown West easily. Do you know how hard it was to get from Alphabet City to...anywhere? I'll probably get fat, though, since I won't be walking as much.

And at least it's not Brooklyn. I really didn't want to go there. Phew... For some reason, how I look communicates some message I'm not privy to over there. I don't speak their language, but they think I'm speaking it, if that makes sense, so mis-communications ensue. Once a cab driver said "I didn't want to pick you up. You looked like you were going to Brooklyn." So I made him take me to the Bronx out of spite. I take this no Brooklyn very seriously. ;)

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:17 pm »
I LIVE IN WILLIAMSBURG.  8)  8)  8)  8)
1/13 $tribild

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 09:45:57 pm »
Oks;  I am very happy for you. One step up Maslow's hierarchy, now on to love/belonging and then self esteem....I think you have already checked the self-actualization box.

Again, good to hear,
JM

Thanks! I was gonna pick up some love and belonging on the way home. Everything's cheaper uptown. ;)

Seriously, though, everyone knows housing security is important, but unless you've not had it (I know a lot of you understand), you don't realize how pervasive the fear of having nowhere to go is. I mean, not fear, like, "oh, I'm gonna get mugged". It's a more primal fear.

As long as I don't pee in a bottle or throw garbage out the window (see above), no one's going to throw me on the street, which is not something I've been able to say for a long, long time. Having that security frees you up to think about other things. :)

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:46:25 pm »
I LIVE IN WILLIAMSBURG.  8)  8)  8)  8)

Indeed. ;) If I were logged on to any apps, you'd be able to see me. ;) That whole East River thing really messes with a lot of people's hookups. Hehehe.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 10:03:43 pm »
Indeed. ;) If I were logged on to any apps, you'd be able to see me. ;) That whole East River thing really messes with a lot of people's hookups. Hehehe.

Yeah, because it's not like Fort Greene is closer to the Village than Harlem.  ::)

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:06:20 pm »
Before I was diagnosed I never went above 14th st.
1/13 $tribild

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »
Cross-town is a pain, and Ft Greene requires cross-town no matter where you're going (in Manhattan, but why would you be going anywhere else?) Up-down, as you know, is snap. Alphabet City to anywhere was not great, but I did enjoy the walking since I never had anywhere in particular to be and could take my time. ;)

For historical reasons, all of the services a gay man in crisis (lol) might need are in the Chelsea-ish region, though as far as I know, all the gays live elsewhere now. From my old place: 30-minute walk, 30+ minute train (real pain), 30+ minute cab. It's about the same timewise from the SRO, but the subway station is a block away, no transfers AND I can sit down and read or something.

But yeah, I'm gonna get real fat. Need to cut back to one banana and three pears a day. How much protein does an HIV+ guy really need, anyway? Doesn't the HIV produce any energy of its own? Lazy virus.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 10:14:27 pm »
Before I was diagnosed I never went above 14th st.

You and me both. Or West of Broadway. What the hell's over there? Dragons and mermaids?

Edit: I did spend the first few days of Sandy in Harlem, but that's another story, and the East Village was closed. ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »
Cross-town is a pain, and Ft Greene requires cross-town no matter where you're going

Learn to read a map and I might converse with you more. I lived on the A/C.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 10:18:36 pm »
Learn to read a map and I might converse with you more. I lived on the A/C.

That's just the point! I never took the "trains" or "tramways" before this, and where I lived, there's a grid. How do you get from 2nd to 13th? Uh, you go that way (points "up") until you've crossed 11 streets.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 10:24:19 pm »
Look sister, I lived in the East Village too before I moved to Brooklyn. It's not that difficult.

The only places where you really have the cross-town transfer issues are on the L -- Williamsburg and parts of Bushwick. Downtown Brooklyn just isn't like that. You have the A/C, 2/3, F and N/R

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 10:59:36 pm »
What is this alphabet soup? Are those *all* trains? I don't see why they need so many. There's just East Side, West Side, then Brooklyn and Queens could share one, no? I think there's a "G" that I've heard is for "Good Service". And for Staten Island they have dinghies. And the ones that go through the City can hop up into the Bronx.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Urban planning is super easy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 11:10:10 pm »

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Urban planning is super easy.

There's still a bit of bluegrass in you, I see.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.