Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: motorcycle accident  (Read 2596 times)

Offline lucas clay

motorcycle accident
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:43:12 pm »
howdy
i have not logged in on here in a while,hope everyone is good.

about a week ago a man and his wife made a u turn from the right lane in front of me. no where to go to advoid him. i hit the brakes and slammed into the drivers door  :o
you know that cartoon thing with the birdies flying around your  head, its true.
ole lucas got off cheap, fractures foot and hand.  bruses, skin peeled back yuck.
i do have a bunch of pretty colors all over my body.

seems i can get around and do most things, opening pill bottles with one hand and my teeth  ect   ect.  slicling food to eat or cook i still have to figue out.
the worst was the 1st two times i had to wipe with the left hand ???

lady luck was with me.
scuse the typ'n and spellin, hands givin out on me.

love
                                                lucas

Offline weasel

Re: motorcycle accident
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:53:30 pm »

We all need to watch for Motorcycles  , Glad you are OK Lucas .

Feel better soon ,
                                                                  Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:12:30 pm »
Glad to hear you're alright, if a little banged up. It sounds like you could have been seriously injured and had a very lucky escape.

I hope the car driver is being charged with reckless driving or something - although I also hope the people in that car are ok too.

OK, because I've been living so long in a country where they drive on the wrong side of the road (jk) let me ask you this. (Don't laugh. 21 years later and I still get in the driver's side of mates' cars when I know damn well I'm a passenger.)

Am I right in thinking you were driving on the right-hand-side of a four-lane, two-way road and the car on the INSIDE lane did a U-turn in front of you while you were in the OUTSIDE lane?

If I've got that right - is that person insane? Legally blind?  ???

I've been terrified at times at the stunts some car drivers will pull when sharing the road with a bike. I always rode just left of center of the lane I was in because it seems to increase your visibility. Too far over and you're at the mercy of oncoming traffic.

I haven't driving a motorcycle in nearly 30 years now, not since NYC. A mate of mine tries to get me to go riding with him on his extra bike, but I just don't have the cajones I did back in my teens/twenties/thirties. Not for physical stuff like that any way.

I used to go out in Ohio without a helmet on - no helmet laws in Ohio back then (I was 19/20). Oh the innocence folly boneheadedness of yoof!  Hated the helmet in Manhattan in the summer.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Lucas. Go easy on yourself while you heal. It takes longer when you're not 25 anymore!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline forrest

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »
Wow Lucas.  Lucky!

I have a crotch rocket and I've struggled riding it since a good friend of mine was killed 3 years ago when a lady did a u-turn in front of him - the exact same scenario as you.  :(  He lost both legs and left behind 3 teenagers and a wonderful wife.  Died 2 hours later.  Count your lucky starts! Glad you made it!

2011-03-26:  Tested Positive

Date           |VL        |CD4 |4%  |CD8 |8%  |C4:C8
2011-04-06 |48,653 |603 |32.0 |646 |35.0 |0.61
2011-05-23 |64,324 |577 |36.0 |576 |36.0 |1.00
2011-08-02 |18,319 |574 |36.3 |587 |37.2 |0.98
2011-12-06 |10,375 |480 |30.1 |616 |38.7 |0.78
2012-02-22 |  9,674 |570 |33.6 |655 |38.7 |0.87
2012-05-04 |  8,439 |559 |30.4 |706 |38.4 |0.79

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:32:35 pm »
Where the heck have you been?????    It's good to hear from you, though I'd rather not have it be under these circumstances.  It's not as serious as it could have been!  When you're on 2 wheels you really have to watch out for those cagers!

I hope you heal smoothly and are well soon!

Cheers,

Henry...   who was out riding his Yamaha FZ1 today (no need for plastics or chrome -- naked bikes are where its at!).

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:34:58 pm »
Ann, what is it like on The Rock during the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy?  I'd be afraid to step off the curb -- especially on "Mad Sunday".

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:18:40 am »

Ann, what is it like on The Rock during the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy?  I'd be afraid to step off the curb -- especially on "Mad Sunday".

It's nuts and every year several visitors end up getting killed. Sometimes it's the fault of "cagers", but more often than not it's the biker trying to emulate their racing heroes.

Just this year we had a local lad killed. He went zooming around the course really early in the morning when he expected there to be no traffic. He came around a bend and smashed straight into the back of a garbage truck. Killed instantly.

On Mad Sunday, they now make the "Mountain Road" portion of the course one-way. When it was two-way, there were far more accidents. It's one of the fastest portions of the course, but it has some tricky bends and visibility isn't always great due to low-lying clouds and also glare from the sun when it's not cloudy.

I tend to stay here in Peel during the whole fortnight. The roads here in town aren't conducive to speed so pedestrians are generally safe. Back when I still drove, I'd hate having to go anywhere in the car during TT. You're constantly being overtaken by bikes and quite often they take crazy risks - risks that they normally wouldn't take. They get TT fever and throw caution to the wind. I don't even really like being a passenger in a car during TT. Buses are ok though - a bus is always going to win in a crash with a bike.

Isle of Man TT Races Check out some of the videos available there.

List of TT Mountain Course Fatal Accidents

I'd love to ride the course myself, but like I said, I no longer have the cajones. I've ridden pillion on it (even on Mad Sunday!), but never drove it myself. I wish I'd had a mate offering me the use of a bike back when I was younger, like when I was still a commercial fisherman. I certainly had the cajones then, I just didn't have the means.

You know, if I ever found out my daughter was roaring around on a motorcycle like I did when I was her age (and younger), I'd have a heart-attack. Don't do as I did, do as I say! ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:14:46 pm »
Henry
so good to see your face (avatar)
you be carefull my man, i know your good on that thing but its the other guy.

Ann the guy hit a garbage truck ? a lot of mass and weight there  ugh.

i did lose 10 pounds in 6 days ( Doctors scale) I'm sure its from not eating fast food. i have been eating a bit better.

it took about 7 days, but things are getting a bit better. less pain. swelling is a bit better. i am getting a bit better with eating utensils and the left hand. still can't slice with the knife, and i wish i could figure out a way to do the can opener ???

the ex sure has been nice, but we have been on good terms the last 3 and a half years. just going to take a bit of time to get better, I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

thanks for the kind replies.

blessed to be here
                                                 Lucas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.