Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:52:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Age Question  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Maestro

Age Question
« on: September 07, 2006, 05:58:36 pm »
Is there any relevance to the fact that my Uncle is 50 years and is HIV +?  Is there any evidence to suggest the virus is more/less a problem in an older person versus a younger person? 

Thanks
M

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Age Question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 06:03:27 pm »
You know Maestro, I don't really know. I do know that a number of our members here have exceeded the Nifty Fifty mark and seem to be doing rather well.

For old folk. ;)

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:14:32 pm »
Hi M

I'm 58, was diagnosed when I was 54..the first 18 months were pretty bad, various things going on, trying to find the right meds etc, etc..but I have no complaints now, no health problems, numbers are  good, and doing really well on my meds..3TC and Ziagen...i don't know if the age thing makes a difference or not to be honest with you, hopefully someone will have the answer for you.

Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:40:07 pm »
for older people on arv's, survival rate is the same. In studies - & there aren't too many of those, more please, research people - cd4 increase can be a bit less, but that's balanced with more people acheiving undetectable viral load (possibly cos of better pill-taking commitment)
tolerability/toxicity wise, meds can be a bit more of a problem, with the kidneys, liver etc. Hard for doctors to know, often, what is that person's natural ageing process, vs what is hiv related/caused?

couple of links, might be worth a look:
http://www.thebody.com/bp/dec04/aging.html

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/67AD7FA8-3504-4006-9B1C-87BBAFC81939.asp

kate

Offline Maestro

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:13:30 pm »
Annie,

I don't mean to get personal here, but what kind of care do you take of yourself?  My Uncle takes abosulute horrible care.  Eats like crap, never exercises.  It is encouraging that you are doing so well.  Do you work out?  Healthy diet?

I have tried to tell him that with his age, his numerous health issues, his many, many pills he takes; a healthy diet and some exercise would not be the worst thing to happen to him.  I really think that since he has lived with HIV for 7 years, he has lost respect for what it can do to him.

I understand if you tell me to mind my own business!

Thanks,

M

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 08:27:51 pm »
Hello ,

I am over 50. Soon to be 55, and HIV positive for 21 years. I have read that it can be difficult for older people to rebuild their t-cell count. I had thought I had read that from a reliable source. I am guessing a lot matters, at just where the individual started on medication, and where their t-cells were, at that point. Age has a normal effect on the immune system anyway...

Ray
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 08:32:05 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 09:04:39 pm »
M.

Well I'm 56 and I started my meds (NOrivr, Reyetaz, Truvada) 3 years ago when my t-cells were 18.  I've had a pretty good rebound.  My CD4 is at 490 (30%) and VL is undetectable.  Overall I'm in good health.  But my Dr keeps a close check on all my vitals (liver, kidney, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) and we've had to make a few adjustments but not many.

What is just as important to my health as the meds is exercise and good diet.  Now I'm not on a macrobiotic diet or anything of the sort.  But I do fix my own meals (meat, potatoes, beans, salads, souffles, etc) and they're pretty well balanced. I drink lots of liquids.  Also I exercise,  I row for an hour every day and walk the dogs constantly.

The meds will only go so far.  You need to get your uncle off his ass and onto his feet some more.  I'm not saying it's easy.  It's not.  Every moring it's a chore for me to get up out of bed. I'm depressed as hell. I dread the rowing.  But it's the one thing that starts my day off right.

good luck.

I do know that a number of our members here have exceeded the Nifty Fifty mark and seem to be doing rather well.

thanks for the vote of confidence, matty!!

robert

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 10:22:01 pm »
Hi M

Like Robert I don't do anything drastic, I try to be careful about what I eat, I don't eat fast foods, I drink as much water as I can take in, and the only excersise I get is around the farm and doing house work, that seems to keep me going..I do have regular checks for my LFT's and cholestrol...I don't drink (maybe the occasional one on holidays) but I do smoke, the one vice I admit to enjoying although I know it's not good for me.

Your Uncle needs to be motivated and that is not an easy task, I really don't know what would be best for him, if he isn't interested in helping himself there is not much we can do....just keep nagging at him maybe it will get through eventually.. ;)

I hope he gets on his feet soon.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 10:32:01 pm »
thanks for the vote of confidence, matty!!

Anytime doll! I feel about 97 myself at the moment. ;)

MtD

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 05:11:48 am »
It is my humble opinion age CAN be a factor and yet in some people we're just getting started
at fifty.  I should know...I'm turning 50 again this month.  :o (Shocking as it may be) ::)  I must admit
however like Matty I often feel my age and older...Poor Matty.  97?  She don't look a day over eighty.

It's not the years that gets you...its the mileage :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 05:19:28 am »
Hi Maestro,

Fifty Nine here, looking at the big 6 - 0 in January, and I don't feel a day over 50 on good days.

I think age has absolutely nothing to do with survival, or anything really.  I think it is just like life, it is what you make it.

In Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 08:22:27 am »
54. Meds for 17 years. When I first found out I was +, and being told I only had a couple of years, I remember praying to stay alive to see my daughters in high school. They are seniors in college and women now. Wow.
No smokes, no alcohol, yoga, constant dieting, and exercise every day. Just came off a two month sugar binge after being off all carbs for 6 months. Fuck.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 11:14:13 am »
You all make me feel so YOUNG!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 12:42:57 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:11:28 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Maestro

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 02:38:42 pm »
Thank you all for the quick responses.  I have tried EVERYTHING to get him motivated, but he refuses.  I even bring his mail to him and we won't read any of the numerous magazines he gets.  All he wants to do is watch TV and eat.  (And not even eat all the time).  I bought him a laptop, set up wireless internet, and still nothing.  I would suggest this website but A) He would never visit and B) if he did and saw I was discussing this he would absolutely freak out!

His CD4 is in the 140 range, has been for a long time.  His Viral Load was previously undetectable, but now is at 600.  Is 600 high, low, insignifigant?

Thanks as always..

Maestro

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.