Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:35:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 423
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 399
Total: 400

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Could this be the holy grail ?  (Read 369973 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Could this be the holy grail ?
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »
Veritas:

Thanks very much for the info., I did know about the HIV/Hep C, I guess at some point they will further explore it vis a vis only HIV.

I have perused the entire thread before and gone back a few times to review some things, it's just that because there is so much information, it's hard to retain all of it.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with this.

Offline veritas

« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2009, 05:47:54 am »

How about a cancer vaccine utilising anti-ps?  Harvard thinks so:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images1/PCT-PAGES/2008/152008/08043018/08043018.pdf

This is a long patent. Anti-ps claims can be found on page 66 of the patent claims section.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2009, 05:18:38 am »

Anti-ps at ASCO ------ Phase ll

http://www.abstract.asco.org/AbstView_65_31930.html

It's happening!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2009, 05:33:43 am »

from IAVI Report:

30 minute Tony Fauci Discussion

Dr. Anthony Fauci, NIAID Director, reviews the history and the future potential of the HIV vaccine effort.

Fauci's closing remarks, the last segment:

"Unlocking Limitless Possibilities"

"You can't hurry this. You know how they say 'you can't hurry love?' (laughs). You can't hurry fundamental basic research. You can put more resources into it, but you can't, strictly speaking, hurry it, so we're learning more and more, and at the same time people are trying other approaches.

I think even now, while we don't have all the answers, what we're learning from studying HIV is informing us in so many important ways about understanding the immune system better. I mean, we have knowledge now about the regulation of the immune system that we never would have had if we did not study HIV, and it has impact on a number of other diseases. Our ability to study viral pathogenesis and viral biology and many other viruses has been greatly enhanced by the resources that we've put into it, so we're already starting to see spin-offs. When we get the answers I think it's going to open up more doors that will help us with other diseases.

If we can- with our own capabilities, our intellect, our will, our drive, our resources - get to a situation where we can manipulate the immune system to do something that natural infection doesn't seem to be able to elicit it to do, what else can we do with the immune system? It's just, the vista is, is, is almost infinite in what you can do, so, I see this as science to solve an extraordinarily important pandemic that has major profound global health implications, at the same time as we're furthering the knowledge of the immune system and our ability to deal with the virus / immune system interaction."

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?swf=http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/cpb-vfl95688.swf&player_id=bqgGH7BYHvk&datatype=playlist&color1=2b405b&color2=6b8ab6&border=1&data=E32941244F8E7190&t=KD83gDBiCSEknIB--r97uXKyyWYNCJVdbS6WPcFWcSs=&sk=7cRsk_9r91b1DYAaxT3pVXMEyjMv4cutC&eurl=&BASE_YT_URL=http://www.youtube.com/

jbm/

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2009, 09:13:14 am »

Anti-ps at ASCO for another cancer indication:

http://www.abstract.asco.org/AbstView_65_35230.html

It's happening!

Same moa for viral!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2009, 04:31:11 am »

Offline veritas

« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2009, 05:26:36 am »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19414990?ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

CONCLUSION: There was no single anti-HIV-1 antibody specificity that was a clear correlate of immunity in controllers. Rather, for most antibody types, controllers had the same or lower levels of nAbs than viremic individuals, with the possible exception of ADCC antibodies.

Offline veritas

« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2009, 07:51:08 am »

A new way to rapidly produce mabs:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19428587?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This will be exceptionally helpful for a flu vaccine but any vaccine could be accelerated.

v

Offline stargate12

« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2009, 02:34:39 am »

Anti-ps at ASCO for another cancer indication:

http://www.abstract.asco.org/AbstView_65_35230.html

It's happening!

Same moa for viral!

v

Please.. would you be so kind to explain better ? Bavituximab could be a cure or not ?
And if you believe that bavituximab could be a hiv cure,  why  they are still testing it for cancer and not for HIV ?

Offline veritas

« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2009, 08:37:49 am »

stargate12,

The short answer to your question is: Bavituximab is being tested for HIV in a co-infection trial for HEPC/HIV  right now. The antibody being used is the first generation anti-ps mab. CHAVI is testing second generation anti-ps mabs specifically for HIV, both as part of a vaccine and a therapeutic.

To fully understand the concept please read the entire thread. I realise the thread is long and there is a lot of information to digest, however, by following the entire thread you should fully understand the potential of anti-ps therapy and its development.

I purposely try  to report just the facts through studies and publications so that anyone reading can come to their own conclusions based on the scientific studies and peer reviews to date. As with any therapeutic development, the science must be proven. My beliefs are just that, my beliefs. You must come to your own conclusions. However, I would not spend this much time developing this thread, if I didn't think there was cause for real hope with this therapy.

Time will tell !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2009, 09:04:00 am »

Fauci speaking  on vaccines and other needful things !

http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/about/directors/news/hvad_09.htm

While extremely rare, some individuals do develop antibodies that effectively neutralize HIV, but investigational vaccines so far have not induced these antibodies in a large number of people[b/].

Recognizing these challenges and working to build upon disappointing clinical trial outcomes, NIAID in 2008 hosted a scientific summit where we committed to placing a greater emphasis on the fundamental research needed to unlock the mysteries of the human immune system and HIV infection. Since that time, we have launched several basic research-focused initiatives and studies that are beginning to produce interesting insights that may help us design future HIV vaccines[b/]. At the same time, we continue to test promising vaccine candidates in clinical trials when scientifically appropriate.

Although vaccines will continue to play a prominent role in NIAID’s broad and multifaceted HIV prevention research agenda, other new prevention approaches are in advanced testing. These include microbicide gels or creams that can be applied prior to sexual intercourse, and pre-exposure prophylaxis—the use of antiretroviral medicines in people who are not infected with HIV but who are at high risk for infection

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2009, 09:45:23 am »

More World AIDS Vaccine Day from IAVI :

"The greatest scientific challenge impeding AIDS vaccine development is the antibody problem: how to design a vaccine that elicits antibodies that neutralize the many types of HIV in circulation so that the vaccinee is protected from infection. But here, too, there is progress to report. Scientists have identified new antibodies capable of neutralizing a wide spectrum of HIV types circulating worldwide. These antibodies may now provide the keys to new vulnerable targets on the surface of HIV, which can be exploited for vaccine design"

http://www.iavi.org/news-center/news-releases/Pages/world-AIDS-vaccine-day-2009.aspx

Its Happening!

v

Offline Mimi

« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2009, 09:26:12 pm »
What kind of vaccine are we talking about?  Therapeutic or preventative?

Offline veritas

« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2009, 03:57:26 am »

Potentially, both. Please read the entire thread for a full overview as to the potential of anti-ps.

Offline veritas

« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2009, 09:49:22 am »

Look at what is going to be discussed at the HIV Acute Infection Meeting in Boston this Sept:

http://www.blsmeetings.net/hivacute/TOD.cfm

It's Happening!

v

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2009, 05:44:10 pm »
Hey Veritas!

How goes it!

Would you mind clarifying which topic on the agenda is most exciting, as it pertains to anti-PS?  I've been in a bit of a haze today, so perhaps I'm just being dense... but it wasn't clear to me.

Offline veritas

« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39:21 am »

carpediem98,

5,6,7  ---------  no haze, now that I look at it , the post was  a little vague. Thanks for pointing it out.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2009, 05:10:39 am »

Remember this article concerning antibodies having trouble attaching to HIV?:

http://mr.caltech.edu/press_releases/13252

Anti-ps mabs don't have that problem:

May 19, 2009
No Need for Ab Stretches

Antibodies (Ab's) are Y-shaped molecules with two arms that can bind to a target, and one that can perform signaling functions to other immune cells. Antibodies are more potent when both of their binding arms stick to their target.

In work published last month, in the online early edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), researchers discuss data showing that the parts of HIV (which poke out through the host-cell derived tag-along lipids taken from the original infected cell and which end up coating the outer surface of the virus) may be physically too far apart for antibodies to bind with both their arms, resulting in a weakened antibody response.

Lori Oliwenstein wrote a review of the work, found here:
Caltech scientists show why anti-HIV antibodies are ineffective at blocking infection "Findings provide possible explanation for failure of decades-long AIDS vaccine search"

With the Caltech discovery in mind, it's important to note the fundamental difference of a lipid-targeting approach to virus neutralization.

Until quite recently, attempts by scientists to develop powerful neutralizing antibodies against viruses were always aiming at the virus, which of course seems logical...

BUT -

Rather than targeting the traditional common-sense target of the virus spikes poking up through the host-cell lipid goop, anti-lipid antibodies do not aim for the viral spikes or anything directly to do with viral proteins at all.

Anti-lipid antibodies target the goop.

There's no need for antibody stretches. That "goop" is made up of lipids from our own cell membranes which get stuck to the virus as it exits one of our cells. It was traditionally considered a waste of time, or possibly worse, to deliberately target our own plasma membrane lipids with antibodies. That opinion is quickly changing.
(see also: "Anti-lipid Antibodies Trigger Cells to Secrete Natural HIV "Entry-Inhibitors")

It turns out that our own lipids that cling to viruses play an important role in the ability of viruses to suppress our immune response, as well as an active role in viral entry into cells, so targeting them may be a very good idea.

JBM/

It's Happening!

v

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2009, 03:48:09 pm »
Ah, yes... it looked to me like any of those could be the one you were talking about, so I wasn't sure which one... when in fact, it was all three!  :)

I must say, I am getting a bit impatient for them to start some trials of anti-PS specifically for HIV treatment!  Of course, given the alternative - a round of failure followed by potential abandonment of the whole underlying principle when it comes to willing sources of funding - waiting for them to do it properly is preferable!

Offline veritas

« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2009, 02:28:12 pm »

Who said antibodies wouldn't be the right fit for HIV?  Anti-ps antibodies are. New abstract from CHAVI.

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/JVI.00656-09v1

"We conclude that FcRI and FcRIIb facilitate antibody-mediated neutralization of HIV-1 by a mechanism that is dependent on the Fc region, IgG subclass and epitope specificity of antibody. The FcR effects seen here suggests that the MPER of gp41 could have greater value for vaccines than previously recognized."

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »
Interesting...I just started a thread about IvIG (intravenous immunoglobulin) and the possibility that it aids (no pun intended) in depleting reservoirs.

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2009, 04:57:41 pm »
A question, and this will betray a chunk of ignorance I apparently am carrying regarding immune function.  So, when they begin trials specifically testing anti-PS against HIV in patients, will it first be necessary for patients to have a strong immune system so that the body CAN attack the cells that are revealed to be infected?  In that case, I wonder if what we'll see is that anti-PS works all on its own for those who discover they have HIV early on in the disease progression - but that for those who have an advanced case of the disease, that a round of HAART or HAART+Anti-PS is necessary to halt replication enough for the immune system to recover enough to self-mediate.

As I noted before - I'm impatient for them to get to the point where they can start the clinical trials in humans specifically for HIV!  (I'd rush to join!)

Offline Structure310

« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2009, 07:12:03 pm »
I was wondering, how would this be more effective at attaching to and binding to HIV hidden in reservoirs than current HAART medication?

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2009, 07:50:07 pm »
Hi Structure310!

Veritas might have a better handle on the science than I do, but my understanding of the principle is this.  HAART doesn't impact resting cells containing HIV because every drug involved in HAART acts directly against a specific activity of the virus - the virus is going to copy its RNA, or it's going to insert a double-stranded DNA into that of a host cell, or it's going to chop up a strand of DNA to begin budding, etc.  HAART directly intervenes, and if the cell is resting, HIV can't be interrupted while it tries to do any of those things because it isn't trying to do any of those things.

Anti-PS, howerver, doesn't act against an active virus, but against a compound on the outside of any cell containing a viral particle, whether it's "awake" or "asleep."  The reason for this would be that the cell begins to show signs of damage once it is compromised by the virus's entry.  At that point, the phosphatidylserene (PS) flips and is on the outside, and the cell appears to the rest of the immune system to be a normally dying cell rather than an infected, otherwise "normal" cell.

It might take repeat dosings to get it into all the nooks and crannies of the body, but eventually - theoretically - the anti-PS drug will have coursed throughout the body, and as it goes along, it will encounter these resting cells along with all the active, infected cells.  The resting cells, when they "wake up," will enter the bloodstream already marked for deletion as an "unwelcome invader."  HIV will not have a chance to replicate because the cell will be marked for destruction immediately upon waking up.  Theoretically, then, anti-PS has the POTENTIAL to be a treatment that would eradicate HIV as anything but a harmless, resting passenger.

How'd I do, veritas?  ;)

Offline veritas

« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2009, 05:32:43 am »

carpediem98,

Are you trying for a Nobel Prize in anti-ps? Your explanation is spot on! The only addition, if I may, is that theoretically, the resting infected cells would  be marked for elimination in place . The immune system would destroy both the infected cells and the virus within. However, you are correct, in that should the virus breakout of an infected cell it would be marked for elimination.

You "get it " carpe, BRAVO! Now you understand why I am so excited about this therapy.

Couple your explanation with the fantastic results thus far in the cancer trials ,gives me more hope for this therapy than any other out there. The MOA (method of action) of anti-ps therapy is the same for both cancer and viral.

If all of the above isn't enough. the safety data has been TOPLINE in every clinical trial to date using anti-ps ------ NO ADVERSE EVENTS !
If the former still isn't enough, in animal trials anti-ps taught their immune system to do this on it's own so upon re-challenge with virus, their immune systems were able to fight off the virus without further dosing (ADAPTIVE IMMUNITY)!
Now you know why I ask: COULD THIS BE THE HOLY GRAIL?

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2009, 05:35:20 am »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2009, 12:25:03 pm »
I didn't realize anti-ps has the potential to get at all the reservoirs, which is what it sounds like based on carpediem's explanation above.

Offline veritas

« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2009, 02:52:02 pm »

Inch,

All cells infected with the virus expose ps, thus making them vulnerable to anti-ps therapy.  The trick is to mount a sufficient immune response to get them all.

v

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2009, 03:50:09 am »
Thanks Veritas, for both the compliment and the clarification.  :)

It would make sense that it would target "resting" cells, too - since the target is the exposed PS, not the activity of the cell.  Similarly, when an infected cell survives long enough to allow HIV to reproduce, it makes sense that as it "buds," the virus will get some PS gloop on it, so to speak.

Offline xman

« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2009, 01:18:10 pm »
all this sounds very interesting but how long it will take to have something available for everyone? i mean how many trials are currently done? if we aren't close to at least a phase 2 clinical trial it could take decades for having the chance to get it.

the problem is that too much time is passing before we have access to a potent therapy like this.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:21:47 pm by xman »

Offline Structure310

« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2009, 06:52:04 pm »
Thanks Veritas and Carpe! Sounds promising.

Offline xman

« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:04 pm »
i sent an email to peregrine a couple of weeks ago to know if they plan some trials specifically for hiv. no response from them yet....

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2009, 04:57:53 pm »
i sent an email to peregrine a couple of weeks ago to know if they plan some trials specifically for hiv. no response from them yet....

Interesting.......keep us posted if you get a response ;)

Thanks

Offline xman

« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2009, 05:48:49 pm »
Interesting.......keep us posted if you get a response ;)

Thanks

yes i will but i feel that the response will never arrive.

Offline xman

« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2009, 06:01:56 pm »
Second message sent a minute ago:

This is my second attempt in the hope to receive soon a response from you. I'm a bit disappointed that my first message didn't get a reply. There's plenty of folks that needs an answer on the trials involving your new drug bavituximab and HIV. We need to know at which point we are now and how many years it will take to benefit from this product. Please find the time to answer this mail.

You can contact them through the contact us form or sending a message at the following mail address:
pr@peregrineinc.com

Please try to contact them and ask for the trials involving HIV and bavituximab. Maybe if more persons are interested they will answer.

Offline xman

« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2009, 06:04:39 pm »
On the following page you can clearly see that the HCV/HIV trial is ongoing and still in phase 1:

http://www.peregrineinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=36

Offline veritas

« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:10 am »

xman,
I applaud your interest in anti-ps and its potential, however, I also feel your sense of urgency in your postings. Unfortunately, we cannot rush science. If you look at the link you provided to Peregrine's anti-viral program, you will notice that all trials were geared to HCV with(as you mentioned) a phase 1 combo trial with HIV. The reason why Peregrine has not started any HIV trials is due to their partnership with CHAVI (Commitee for HIV AIDS Initiative). CHAVI is doing the research for HIV using anti-ps therapy and any trials directly linked to HIV using anti-ps will come from the CHAVI group. Peregrine could not afford to do all the research that their getting from CHAVI on their own. Also, CHAVI is using second generation anti-ps mabs in their research which are stronger than those being tested in the co-infection trial. CHAVI is the group going for the homerun with anti-ps. When you have the time, please read the entire thread. I know there is a lot of information here, however, I believe it will give you a nice overview
with respect to anti-ps development.
I agree that you will probably not get a response from Peregrine with respect to your inquiry( I hope I'm wrong) because they cannot report any progress in HIV without CHAVI's ok.
I do not agree that it will take a decade to see this therapy. Development might be faster then you think (ie: it could qualify for fast-track).
CHAVI will report when they have dotted every i and crossed every t, so the information they provide you  can be confident about.
AND yes ,we DO need a cure. Enough is enough!

v

Offline steppenwolf

• Tuscany08
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2009, 10:30:22 am »
Hi veritas, I have been following this for a while, thank you for your research, updates and smart moderation.
This bit from CHAVI might be in the thread already, but just to follow up on who is doing what where.

(at: https://chavi.org/modules/chavi_cores/index.php?id=1)

Monoclonal Antibody Core

The Monoclonal Antibody Core is led by Dr. Barton Haynes at Duke University and Dr. James Robinson at Tulane University.  This core is responsible for producing and purifying human and mouse monoclonal antibodies (Mabs) for HIV-1 neutralization and structural studies.  The Duke team, which includes Dr. Kwan-Ki Hwang, is working to generate antibodies derived from terminal ileum (INT), bone marrow (BMA), and peripheral blood (PBL) specimens from AHI patients as part of the Antibodyome Project.  The Tulane team constructs secondary hybridomas from selected EBV transformed cells to improve antibody production and maintains a repository of purified human and mouse MAbs, EBV transformed B cell lines, and hybridomas for CHAVI investigators.

Offline veritas

« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2009, 05:25:20 pm »

steppenwolf,

Your more than welcome. Let's hope anti-ps takes us "ON A MAGIC CARPET RIDE"!

Thanks for posting the link.

By the way, anti-ps will be discussed in an oral presentation at ASCO with only partial phase ll data from the cancer trial. Having an oral presentation with limited data at ASCO is quite an accomplishment at such a prestigious gathering of oncologists.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clinical-Data-on-Peregrines-prnews-15356791.html?.v=1

IT'S HAPPENING!!

v

Offline LEX40515

« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:21 pm »
All, is there anything we can do to help get these drugs fast tracked or is it simply a matter of process?
I find my self wishing I were a guinea pig after reading all of the great results.
Bring it on!

Offline steppenwolf

• Tuscany08
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2009, 12:12:00 pm »
steppenwolf,

Your more than welcome. Let's hope anti-ps takes us "ON A MAGIC CARPET RIDE"!

Thanks for posting the link.

By the way, anti-ps will be discussed in an oral presentation at ASCO with only partial phase ll data from the cancer trial. Having an oral presentation with limited data at ASCO is quite an accomplishment at such a prestigious gathering of oncologists.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clinical-Data-on-Peregrines-prnews-15356791.html?.v=1

IT'S HAPPENING!!

v

Want to know something funny? I have never bought stocks before. About a week ago after reading this I wanted to try just for the heck of it and maybe for good luck. Got an account online, linked my bank...yesterday I transfered funds and checked Peregrine (PPHM), it was around $0.60, today I could finally buy my 500 bucks.....and the price jumped 63%!!! It opened at 0.80,
it's now around a dollar. After the latest news on their brain cancer drug, see below. Damn.
Oh well. I still bought.
Now we wait for their report/results on June 1st.

Go Mabs.

Steppenwolf

http://www.drugs.com/clinical_trials/peregrine-pharmaceuticals-reports-progress-cotara-brain-cancer-clinical-program-7311.html

Offline steppenwolf

• Tuscany08
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2009, 12:21:24 pm »

Offline veritas

« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2009, 01:38:17 pm »

steppenwolf,

Just to clarify, cotara for Gliobastoma (brain cancer) is not an anti-ps antibody. It's a targeting antibody that goes after the dead or dying cells in the center of a tumor using radioactive isotopes. It kills the tumor from the inside out and since it targets the exposed DNA histones from the dead cells, very little damage is done to the healthy brain cells. A completely different therapy from anti-ps.

v

Offline steppenwolf

• Tuscany08
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2009, 01:53:10 pm »
Yes thank you, I read about it and it's amazing how these drugs have multiple mechanisms and targets. I am just as happy for the brain cancer people.

steppenwolf,

Just to clarify, cotara for Gliobastoma (brain cancer) is not an anti-ps antibody. It's a targeting antibody that goes after the dead or dying cells in the center of a tumor using radioactive isotopes. It kills the tumor from the inside out and since it targets the exposed DNA histones from the dead cells, very little damage is done to the healthy brain cells. A completely different therapy from anti-ps.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #244 on: May 30, 2009, 04:26:51 am »

Another target for anti-ps? How about parasites? You betcha!

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0005733

It's Happening!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:41 am »

Interim data presented at ASCO shows a 71% objective tumor response to anti-ps therapy. AMAZING!
They have not completed the dosing for the trial:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Peregrine-Pharmaceuticals-prnews-15397810.html?.v=1

IT'S HAPPENING !!!!!!    Same moa for viral!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:08 am »

Anti-ps --------- Cancer's nemisis (any cancer):

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Peregrine-Pharmaceuticals-prnews-15423221.html?.v=1

Same MOA for viral! It's Happening!

v

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2009, 12:55:27 pm »
is this ps things being tested on people living with HIV ?
or are we just jerking off to get through the day ?
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline veritas

« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2009, 04:24:09 pm »

is this ps things being tested on people living with HIV ?
or are we just jerking off to get through the day ?

I don't know if your jerking off to get through the day, but the answer to your first question has been answered many times in this thread.

v

Offline simpleguy

« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2009, 04:13:27 am »
sensual1973, I'm beginning to suspect veritas might have bought stocks in Peregrine Pharma :D :D

HIV + Hep C clinical trial, bavituximab: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00503347
Results expected by the end of 2009 (it says september, but who knows...)

Anti-PS explained in layman's terms (and potential investors terms ;o) can be found at
http://www.peregrineinc.com/

Cheers!
2008 JUL: Sustiva OCT: Rayataz DEC: Kaletra • 2009 Off meds • 2011 Intelence • 2012+ Complera

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.