Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:35:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 237
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Green Tea  (Read 10642 times)

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
Green Tea
« on: December 14, 2007, 07:32:57 am »
I don’t care that it holds a secret that the Chinese have supposedly known for over 3,000 years – and which modern research is evidently proving right – that pure green tea is naturally rich in antioxidants.

I don’t care that it is organic.

I don’t care that it is slow grown at over 9,000 feet in the protected Bhavani Hill region of India.

I don’t care that it carries the Fairtrade Mark, which is an independent guarantee that the people who produce it are protected from exploitation.

I don’t care that my doctor swears by it.

I DO CARE that it both smells and tastes like something that some poor underpaid bastard had to scrape off the floor of the elephant house at London Zoo.

Offline carousel

Re: Green Tea
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:42:33 am »

I DO CARE that it both smells and tastes like something that some poor underpaid bastard had to scrape off the floor of the elephant house at London Zoo.

Have you tried it with honey?

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:28 am »
OOOOOO .. that sounds like it could be a reasonably palatable option.

I shall give it a try.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:43 am »
it comes in capsule form too, fyi. ask your doctor first of course

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:30 am »
you tried the Dragonfly brand teas..? They do a Moroccan Mint green tea, which i really like, not at all bitter; and their Wu Xin, the one that says "sweet and mellow" or summat on the box is quite good.

Tick Tock just started doing a rooibos with green tea too - the rooibos gives it a bit of sweetness

^^ waitrose stocks all of these, most sainsbury's too

kate

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:44:35 am »
you tried the Dragonfly brand teas..? They do a Moroccan Mint green tea, which i really like, not at all bitter; and their Wu Xin, the one that says "sweet and mellow" or summat on the box is quite good.

Nope .. never seen that. I do love Moroccan Mint (as a herbal infusion), so that could be wild.

Wu Xin on the other hand, IMHO, smells and tastes like the stuff that even the underpaid guy at the elephant house refuses to touch ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:02:10 am »
Green tea ice cream is OK
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:11:10 pm »
I agree, I absolutely can't STAND green tea.  Dh drinks it by the gallons.  Then, I bought Celestial Seasonings (?) peppermint tea not realizing it was green tea.  I couldn't tell the difference and it is really good.  They make an apple cinnamon tea, too.
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:12:40 pm »
It's ghastly stuff. Doesn't matter what you mix with it (honey, cocaine, diesel) it still tastes like cats' piss.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:06:31 pm »
It's ghastly stuff. Doesn't matter what you mix with it (honey, cocaine, diesel) it still tastes like cats' piss.

MtD

Didn't Frau Eva warn you off drinking cat's piss? ::)

I'm gonna tell!

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 04:38:57 pm »
Then, I bought Celestial Seasonings (?) peppermint tea not realizing it was green tea.  I couldn't tell the difference and it is really good.  They make an apple cinnamon tea, too.

I think they also make a cherry vanilla tea that a friend turned me onto the other day. Very yummy!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:48:58 pm »
Didn't Frau Eva warn you off drinking cat's piss? ::)

What if the cat was on HAART?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 05:26:22 pm »
What if the cat was on HAART?

Well, that's alright then sweetie! ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 11:39:15 pm »
I think they also make a cherry vanilla tea that a friend turned me onto the other day. Very yummy!

It's called Madagascar Vanilla Red, made with rooibos, W-everTF that is.  There was a sample in another variety I bought the other day.  It was kind of weird, almost had a buttery taste to it.

I'm sure that like beer, hot peppers and green tea, it's an acquired taste. The herbal tea I'm drinking right now has a bit of catnip in it, I just read. I may need to roll on the carpet and bite some tom on the neck in a minute.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 12:11:55 am »
rooibos

. . . . is a South African concoction.

MtD

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 02:01:14 am »
I buy diet green tea by the case.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 02:20:08 am »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 04:36:37 am »
He's a body builder, Vokzy. 'nuff said really. ;)

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 06:50:01 am »
Vokz, drink white tea matey. And, I don't mean tea with milk.

White tea has all wanky promotional stuff attached to it too. And, I think it must be hand picked by virgins who are slaughtered after each harvest to honour the gods.

It is like the 'extra virgin' of teas. Picked from the youngest of growth, or something. But, it is higher in antioxidants etc than green tea.

Best thing though is that it doesn't taste like cats piss. It flavour is fairly innocuous, tasting a bit like vanilla bean. Green tea just turns my stomach and makes me wanna puke.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 08:18:22 am »

Best thing though is that it doesn't taste like cats piss.

Yet another Aussie who seems to be overly-familiar with the taste of cat-piss. What is it with you guys? Are you raised on the stuff? Do you use it to wash down your Vegemite sandwiches?

Oh wait, I get it, you're talking about Australian ale! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 10:00:44 am »
Well my sister just brought light to my life.

She said “You are drinking it hot, so of course it tastes like the piss of a dehydrated elephant with a kidney infection. Let it cool first, then it won’t taste of anything much”.

She was right (for once in her life).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:12:34 am by vokz »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 12:32:53 pm »

White tea has all wanky promotional stuff attached to it too. And, I think it must be hand picked by virgins who are slaughtered after each harvest to honour the gods.

It is like the 'extra virgin' of teas. Picked from the youngest of growth, or something. But, it is higher in antioxidants etc than green tea.

Agreed.  White tea is divine, though it's been a year since I bought any.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 03:03:26 am »

:-* 

I just tried some and it is indeed a very pleasant brew for those times when it just has to be a hot drink.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 05:08:27 am »
Being from Texas, the only tea I was used to drinking was sweet ice tea.  Not very good for you, but tasted like a dream.  I've finally converted to hot tea with milk, but can't stand green tea.  And don't like white tea (but it's much better than green tea).  Take the pill version and down it with a pint.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 06:21:32 am »
Take the pill version and down it with a pint.

A pint of what though? 

Milk makes me heave, I loathe sweet drinks, I can’t stand regular gunpowder tea, water is a tad unexciting and I don’t really drink much alcohol these days, so … green tea? ;)

Seriously, the pill option is out. Supposed health benefits are a secondary bonus. I was exploring teas for palatable alternatives to coffee .. not trying to turn myself into one of those bizarre, and slightly desperate, vitamin freaks who lives for the next 3 for 2 sale at Holland & Barratt  :-*

Offline Cliff

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 08:10:06 am »
I was thinking more of the lines of pint of Magnum (tis the season)..especially if the health benefits are secondary.

Coffee is vile.  I prefer beer.

Offline Hard Times

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 01:18:46 pm »
long island iced tea   is the best ! ;D
Your Body Is What You Are.
Your Soul Is Who You Are.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 07:40:42 pm »
I rather like green tea. Of course, I am a tea nut of sorts. I also like the gunpowder tea and white tea.

I have some nice Georgian tea at home too, a gift from my ex a few years ago. Very potent, that.

Among my favorites are Earl Grey, Jasmine and, of course, Oolong.

I have about a dozen varieties at home at this time.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ajm_ldn

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 03:23:50 am »
what is tea?
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 12:55:38 pm »
I'll take a Earl Grey with milk and sugar.

Offline Oh501sguy

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2007, 05:45:36 am »
I'm not the greatest Tea fan, but I do like green tea...ONLY if I add enough honey in it... but doesn't that offset
the benefits of green tea?  Honey is all sugar....

And for the the comment above... Green Tea and Cocaine?  Now there is a thought!

;D

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 06:03:39 am »
Meanwhile, I have actually grown to like green tea .. now that I know to let it cool a little (somewhere well away from me) before drinking it.

But, Winiroo, now I want to know what kind of deviant freak drinks Earl Grey with milk and sugar? It sounds too disgusting for any words in my vocabulary to describe how ill even thinking about that makes me feel ;)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 06:32:41 am »
now I want to know what kind of deviant freak drinks Earl Grey with milk and sugar?

my uncle, for one, who plays the cello and spends a suspicious amount of time at Dulwich Picture Gallery... nuff said, really  ;)

kate

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 07:09:43 am »

I want to know what kind of deviant freak drinks Earl Grey with milk and sugar? It sounds too disgusting for any words in my vocabulary to describe how ill even thinking about that makes me feel ;)

My ex-husband drinks EG that way too... and as Kate says, 'nuff said. ::)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 07:47:38 am »
my uncle ........ spends a suspicious amount of time at Dulwich Picture Gallery

Well at least the DPG has an impressive collection of old masters .. which I am sure would wear quite well with several of our respected members.

It could be worse .. he could be spending a suspicious amount of time, down the road, exploring the delights of the Horniman ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 02:54:45 pm »
::dreams of cheap PG Tips::

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 07:44:39 pm »
Meanwhile, I have actually grown to like green tea .. now that I know to let it cool a little (somewhere well away from me) before drinking it.

But, Winiroo, now I want to know what kind of deviant freak drinks Earl Grey with milk and sugar? It sounds too disgusting for any words in my vocabulary to describe how ill even thinking about that makes me feel ;)

LMAO you got me! deviant freak LOL

Love you too!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 08:28:24 am »
I cannot stand Earl Grey tea!    I really don't mind green tea, as long as it's flavored.  But then, I'm not a big tea person.  I prefer coffee.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.