Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:38:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dr. Nobuto Yamamoto claims he eradicated HIV using GcMAF, a macrophage activator  (Read 62231 times)

Offline Luke

You are 100% correct there, Inchlingblue. My bad!. Looks like someone took a few mischievous editorial liberties to add some credibility ;)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
FOCIS MEETING 2009

POSTER T.101. _Treatment_of_HIV-Infecte d_Patients_with_Gc_Protei n-Derived_Macrophage_Acti vating_Factor_(GcMAF)_and _Its_Cloned_Derivative_(G cMAFc)_Eradicates_HIV-Inf ection_

Nobuto Yamamoto1, Masumi Ueda1, Kazuya Hashinaka1, Theodore Sery1, Charles Benson2. 1Socrates Institute for Therapeutic Immunology, Philadelphia, PA; 2University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA

Serum Gc protein (known as vitamin D-binding protein) is the precursor for the principal macrophage activating factor (MAF). The MAF precursor activity of serum Gc protein of HIVinfected patients was lost or reduced because Gc protein is deglycosylated by serum alpha-N-acetylgalactosami nidase (Nagalase) secreted from HIV-infected cells. Since Nagalase is the intrinsic component of gp120, serum Nagalase was already complexed with anti-HIV immunoglobulin G (IgG) in patient blood stream. The IgG-bound virions were infectious and retained Nagalase activity, leading to immunosuppression. Stepwise treatment of purified serum Gc protein or its cloned Gc protein with immobilized beta-galactosidase and sialidase generated the most potent MAF (termed GcMAF or GcMAFc, respectively) ever discovered, which produces no side effect in humans. Macrophages activated by intramuscular administration of GcMAF or GcMAFc (100 ng/patient) developed a large amount of Fc-receptors as well as enormous variation of receptors that phagocytize IgG bound and unbound HIV virions. Cells harboring HIV provirus were unstable and spontaneously released the virions at a high rate. After less than 18 weekly intramuscular administrations of 100 ng GcMAF or GcMAFc to twenty-four nonanemic patients, they exhibited healthy control level of Nagalase activity, indicating eradication of HIV-infection. Since GcMAFc has a potentmitogenic activity on myeloid progenitor cells (MPC), intravenous administration of GcMAFc allowed rapid interaction of GcMAFc with MPC in bone marrow and the systemic cell counts of the activated macrophages increased to 220-fold in 2 days. Weekly intravenous administration of 100 ng GcMAFc to HIV-infected patients eradicated HIV-infection in 8-13 weeks.

Bobitalia:  Do you have a link that leads to the above post? Thanks.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Dr. Joel Gallant was asked about this and here is his response:

Interesting! I'd have to see the actual data rather than just the abstract, but my biggest concern is that their definition of "eradiction" is normal nagalase activity, which, as far as I know, is no one else's definition. I'm curious to know what evidence there is for eradication besides having a normal nagalase level.

I hope this gets presented at an HIV-related conference, such as the upcoming IAS meeting in Cape Town, and that we see more data and more studies from this group.

LINK:

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/recent_questions/yamamoto_focis_2009.html?contentInstanceId=490040&siteId=7151

Offline Bobitalia

I do not speak English.
I am an HIV-positive boy.
in italy small group of activists.  >:(
against pharmaceutical companies and associations. >:(
I believe and I do not think a Yamamoto. but silence is suspicious.

February 9, 2009 at 9:17 am
I have read some opinions about Yamamoto?s research that was pubblished in The Journal of medical virology january 2009.
Yamomoto?s study deserves far more than the weak brief once-over given to it by CATIE.
Yamamoto?s scientific background is impressive.
Preclinical peer-review researches pubblished in Nature magazine about MAF.
1990 http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/v68/n2/abs/icb19 9019a.html
1993 http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/v71/n4/abs/icb19 9329a.html
1998 http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/v76/n3/abs/icb19 9833a.html.
Nature has extremely stringent standards for publication, and will reject papers that report good quality scientific work if editors feel the
work is not a breakthrough in the field. Such journal generally has a two-tier reviewing system. In the first stage, members of the editorial board verify
that the paper s findings  if correct  would be ground-breaking enough to warrant publication in Nature. Most papers, more and less 95 %, are rejected at this stage. Nature publishes about 5 percent of received papere. Papers that do pass this pre-reviewing are sent out for in-depth
review to outside referees. Even after all reviewers recommend publication and all reviewer criticisms/suggestions for changes have been met, papers may still be returned to the authors for shortening to meet the journal s length limits.
And
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcg i?artid=1502120 ( the MAF
results come from other researchers in different university and hospital ).
Vitamin D Binding Protein-Macrophage Activating Factor (DBP-maf) Inhibits Angiogenesis and Tumor Growth in Mice1
Oliver Kisker,* Shinya Onizuka, Christian M Becker, Michael Fannon, Evelyn Flynn,* Robert D?Amato, Bruce Zetter, Judah Folkman, Rahul Ray, Narasimha Swamy, and Steven Pirie-Shepherd??
*Division of Surgical Research, Children?s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital Marburg, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Department of Surgery II, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan
§Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Free University Berlin, Berlin, Germany
¶Department of Ophthalmology Harvard Medical School, USA
#Department of Surgery and Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, USA
**Bioorganic Chemistry and Structural Biology, Vitamin D Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Boston University, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Department of Pediatrics, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Attenuon LLC, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Address all correspondence to: Steven Pirie-Shepherd, Attenuon, LLC, 10130 Sorrento Valley Road, Ste B, San Diego, CA 92121, USA. E-mail: shepherd@attenuon.com
Also corresponding author: Narasimha Swamy, Department of Pediatrics, Brown Medical School, 101 Dudley Street, Providence, RI, USA. E-mail: nswamy@wihri.org
Received August 30, 2002; Accepted September 27, 2002.
Moreover the most important cancer meeting in USA.
http://aacrmeetingabstracts.org/cgi/content/abstra ct/2004/1/287-b
2005 http://www.aacrmeetingabs tracts.org/cgi/content/ab stract/2005/1/1423-c.
Among the members of the Editorial Board of The Journal of Medical Virology, there is CDC of Atlanta.
It is very difficult to believe that CDC gave green light to pubblish Yamamoto?s declaration about HIV ERADICATION without scientific evidence.
I trust much more CDC than any other..
E D I T O R - I N - C H I E F
ARIE J. ZUCKERMAN
Royal Free and University College Medical School
University College London
London, England
E-Mail: j.m.vir@medsch.ucl.ac.uk
U S E D I T O R
BRIAN W.J. MAHY
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Atlanta, Georgia
USA
E-Mail: virology@bellsouth.net
Why the study and results that were pubblished in Cancer Research, Nature, The Journal of medical virology, Clinical immunology, Aids research
magazine (and many others ) has not been proved wrong yet?.. ?
After 7 years the accademic questions about proviral hiv dna pcr are
worthless.

Meeting FOCIS 2007 - "Treatment of HIV-infected Patients with Vitamin D-binding Protein Derived Macrophage Activating Factor (GcMAF) Eradicates HIV-Infection"
Meeting FOCIS 2008 - "Treatment of HIV-Infected Patients with Gc Protein-derived Macrophage Activating Factor (GcMAF) Eradicates HIV-infection"
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:10:46 am by Bobitalia »

Offline veritas

Bobitalia,

Your quote:

"Nature has extremely stringent standards for publication, and will reject papers that report good quality scientific work if editors feel the
work is not a breakthrough in the field"

I agree with your quote. "Nature" is the foremost journal for breakthrough technology (if its published in "Nature" ---- pay attention.)
The links you provided for MAF did not work for me. Could you relink in another way?

Thanks,
v

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Luke

It is a shame I'm not a mouse.

Offline xman

instead of making assumptions on the reliability of this approach, why no clinic or research group tries to repeat the experiment to see if it works?

i only see a lot of articles and a lot of scepticism. no study that i'm aware of proves insuccess of this procedure. if i'm wrong correct me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:22:48 pm by xman »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Someone requested that another, similar thread (Immunotherapy of HIV-infected patients w/ Gc protein-derived MAF) be merged with this one. I've merged them and so now posts #14 thru #20 are the posts from that thread, which is reflected in the subtitle of those posts. (They were happily all grouped together when the threads were merged.) Just letting you all know so as to avoid confusion. Hopefully. ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline georgep77

instead of making assumptions on the reliability of this approach, why no clinic or research group tries to repeat the experiment to see if it works?

i only see a lot of articles and a lot of scepticism. no study that i'm aware of proves insuccess of this procedure. if i'm wrong correct me.
you are right xman, yamamoto is talking about eradication and healthy CD + cell counts maintained for 7 years, this could lead to enormous progress in the treatment of HIV.

The question is,  why a huge research like this.... remain unnoticed?
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline Luke

you are right xman, yamamoto is talking about eradication and healthy CD + cell counts maintained for 7 years, this could lead to enormous progress in the treatment of HIV.

The question is,  why a huge research like this.... remain unnoticed?

Because, to put it quite simply, Yamamoto isn't showing anyone anything that is worth getting excited about.

For starters, if he is so convinced of his own findings and these patients are still healthy after all this time; why isn't he testing them to the latest gold standard assays? The cost of doing that certainly can't be an issue - so why isn't that happening? If there is anything to this, then getting people excited is within his control.

Until then, the vast majority of people are going to remain justifiably sceptical about something that has seen more false hopes shattered than I have had hot dinners.

More to the point, why aren't the people who are writing to Dr Yamamoto asking him why he isn't doing any of this? Is getting him a good Google ranking really more important than getting to the truth?

And who is to say that it has gone unnoticed? Who is to say that there aren't dozens of scientists beavering away at similar approaches, but who have more sense than to make the exaggerated claims that Yamamoto already has a reputation for making? (http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2008/12/03/cancer-cured-for-good-gc-maf-and-the-miracle-cure/)

As Cancer Research UK noted about Yamamoto's over-hyped claims about having found a cure for cancer:

Another telling point is the type of journal in which the research was published. If this research was truly groundbreaking, and pointed the way to a cure for cancer, then the research would likely be found in top-tier ’high-impact’ medical journals journals like The Lancet, The New England Journal of Medicine or the Journal of the American Medical Association.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:31:41 am by Luke »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
I think part of what's going on here is that Yamamoto wants to patent the manufacturing process of Gc-maf,

GcMAF is a naturally made molecule and is not patentable, though its manufacturing process is patent protected.

LINK:

http://www.rexresearch.com/yamamoto/yamamoto.htm

That's why there are limitations on the studies with Gc-Maf going on at Arizona State University.

The letter below is from Yamamoto to someone who had written him, it sounds like he is waiting for a patent on Gc-Maf manufacturing to be approved:

May 31, 2008

Dear Shylock,

We have exhausted GcMAF stock. We hope to prepare new stock of GcMAF in a few months. We keep your information until approval for commercialization of GcMAF. However, our institute is non-profit organization and we can collaborate with your group for cancer therapy.

Incidentally GcMAF is the most powerful curative remedy for HIV disease. We are glad to help you for GcMAF therapy of tuberculosis and hepatitis.

Regards,

Dr. Nobuto Yamamoto, Director

Socrates Institute for Therapeutic Immunology

LINK:

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2008/12/03/cancer-cured-for-good-gc-maf-and-the-miracle-cure/

PS: I sent AMFAR an email about Yamamoto and Gc-Maf, calling it to their attention in case they are not aware of it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:19:35 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
I thought this was interesting, from the Johns Hopkins website:

Posted on Jul 8, 2009

Dear Doctor Gallant,

Besides nagalase, Dr. Nobuto Yamamoto published the (astonishing!) values of the established immunovirological HIV infection markers ONCE, in the "Journal of Medical Virology" [http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/121531612/PDFSTART - tables I and III], where he claimed he cured 15/15 patients (100%!!!) in 18 weeks, as confirmed by a 7 years follow-up.

Too bad, it was impossible to obtain any documentation (IRBs certification, "cured" patients' records...) proving those data either from the author or the directors of the journal [http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/32763/home/EditorialBoard.html]. Nonetheless, the latter keep refusing to retract the article.
Quite fishy, isn't it?

On Jul 11, 2009 Joel E. Gallant, M.D., M.P.H. replied:

It's certainly interesting, but I'll have to take your word for the facts of the case, not having researched it myself. It's worth noting that this paper in which "eradiction" of HIV was reported was only published in the Journal of Medical Virology. I suspect that the editors and reviewers from more widely read journals were also dubious about the value of "nagalase levels" as an indicator of cure. But if Yamamoto is really on to something, I'm sure we'll hear more.

LINK:

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/recent_questions/yamamoto_focis_2009.html?contentInstanceId=490040&siteId=7151

Offline Bobitalia

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:36:59 am by Bobitalia »

Offline sensual1973

ok , please this is quiet technical and complicated for me to understand,can you just brief it in a simple way for us to understand ?

thanx
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Bobitalia: Can you give some context for this letter? Obviously it seems to be written by Nobuto Yamamoto but can you supply any more information?

Offline J220

Sounds like a croc of s*** to me....and I'm one of the resident optimists! Until he shows solid data, if it walks like a quack and sounds like a quack....well, you know the rest. Luckily there's other bona fide research out there to be hopeful about (e.g. VRX496, etc.)
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.