Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 359
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: P24 Antigen test.  (Read 18276 times)

Offline Thomasdue

P24 Antigen test.
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:25:45 am »
Hi all,

I thought I had left my fear behind but I am back again. I recently had another round of blood tests and came up positive for EBV. This is 14 months after my negative EBV test. I am scared that this could also be the case for HIV. I cant see why I would take 14 months to show antibodies for EBV. I am now really scared that my HIV test will now be differnt. Should I test again just to be sure. My last rapid test was at 14 months post exposure.

Thomas

Offline RapidRod

Re: Back again
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:59:01 am »
You have no reason to retest. You are negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:51:11 am »
Thomas,

You were told repeatedly in the old forum that you tested negative for a no-risk situation.

You had no risk of hiv through kissing.

If you have questions about your EBV you'll have to ask your doctor. This is an hiv site and you do not have hiv. Your test results prove that conclusively - and you had no risk in the first place.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:24:50 pm »
Hi Ann,

Look I'm so sorry I'm back. But just reading about the guy who became infected by oral in another post has got me worrying again about the 1 in a million chance. I know that there is a very small risk but I am still really worried. I have been off work for 4 months now and am still scared to be intimate with my wife. I have used the tests 4 times as you know. I am really worried because my initial EBV test came up neg, now it is pos. My Dr is really puzzled by this. Do you think that the prostitute could have been highly infectious

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:32:16 pm »
Giving a blowjob is much different than kissing someone.

if you haven't already...

Please be sure to read the

You are trying to add 2+2 and getting 17 (normally 5, but this is such a completely different situation, i upped the number)

That person's case has NO bearing on your case at all.

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 12:13:38 am »
Thanks Dingo,

I am just so concerned about passing anything on to my spouse. Is there absolutly no way it could happen. Even if my immune sys was poor and she was highly infectious at the time. I was told by a doc that I was suffering from a virus although it the symptoms did show up 3 days after this kissing incident. Could it be that she gave me something else? Could it be that she gave me 2 viruses. I really don't know what to do any more.....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:53:48 am »
See your doctor and a mental health professional for your worries. You are HIV negative and this is an HIV website, we can't help you with your other problems.

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 12:16:30 am »
Does the saliva in the mouth of a +ve person inhibit the virus that may be present in the persons mouth. I have heard the virus can be present in small amounts. I think what I am asking is would the virus have to get through the infected persons saliva and then through the other persons saliva then have blood to blood contact

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 06:46:52 am »
Thomasdue, enough is enough. If you can't get on with your life, seek out a mental health professional. You don't get HIV from kissing and you've reliably tested so, to prove a point. We can not be of further assists to you. Seek the help that you need and it won't come from the internet.

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 02:24:13 am »
All I am asking is whether someone can tell me if the virus contained in saliva (of the small % of people who have it present in their saliva) would be neutralised by the saliva of the infected person therefore rendering it useless. Does the saliva kill the virus? If so it would have to survive 2 lots of saliva and enter the bloodstream through an open wound correct?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 05:00:38 am »
How many times have you read in this forum that saliva is not infectious? That should be enough of an answer for you.

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 08:24:55 pm »
Would I need to test if she kissed me with blood in her mouth then?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:47:16 pm »
No, and the reason for saying that is a girl would certainly not kiss you if they had a lot of blood in their mouth that would put someone at risk. Would you kiss a girl that had blood dripping down the corners of their mouth?

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 09:34:40 pm »
So what are the viruses and other STD's you can get by kissing?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 03:10:06 am »
Thomas,

This is an hiv website. It isn't a kissing website. If you want to know what you can become infected with through kissing, I suggest you talk to your doctor.

One thing is for certain, you will NOT become infected with hiv through kissiing. And you haven't.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 01:44:35 am »
I just thought I would tell you that the girl that kissed me that fateful night has been confirmed as positive........ One of her friends said she is quite sick. Now I'm freaking out...WTF do I do now...? Please help me...Shall I confront her?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 02:03:46 am »
Confront her? Oh yeah, I see that going really well.

Thing is, you do not get HIv through kissing. Seriously, can't you see how this mindset affects people with HIV? It's certainly not based on reality, and frankly the hysteria is stigmatizing.

I do not see what this site has to offer you at this point. The risk assessment, the comprehensive lesson on transmission vectors, and personal attention seem to have not made much of a difference in your fear. What do you want?

Ann and Andy and Rod and others can easily come back here and go around the world with you yet again as to how kissing presents NO RISK. But wouldn't your time - and ours - be better served by simply scrolling up to the top of this thread and re-reading it? Our answers will not change.

If indeed it was a "fateful night," I submit it was fateful only for the poor girl whom you are going to confront - and stigmatize as a pariah based on your "confirmation." It's a sad state of affairs when HIV positive people can't even kiss negative people without being pariahs.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 02:05:42 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 06:27:38 am »
Jonathon,

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. Especially you as I have valued your input from the very beginning. When I mention confrontation, I don't mean being nasty I am mearly saying that I would talk to her. She obviously has a high viral load as she must have been the one that gave me

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 06:40:14 am »
<<She obviously has a high viral load>>

Oh she does? Are you a doctor? Stop with all of this, you are not going to get HIV from kissing. Seek out a mental health professional with your fears. You might also want to reread the "Welcome" post and understand it further, before you are booted off of the forum.

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 08:55:59 am »
But I don't understand why you would want to boot me off. I am only worried about my own health. I am not going to do any harm by just talking to her.....I am sorry if I am causing offense. I just can't see it.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 09:26:42 am »
Thomas if you would have read the "Welcome" post you would have read the following.
  • Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
Thomas, you have no business imposing yourself on the woman in question. It's you who is responsible for your health, not her or any other partners past or future or anyone else. So get a grip.

You have no basis in HIV science for thinking you were at risk from kissing  as you have been repeatedly told.

Just because your mind continues to come up with more what ifs doesn't change the fact that there's no reality basis for those fears. Feelings aren't facts. And they may just continue to come up. If you need help with dealing with this emotionally then do yourself a big favor, and talk with a professional. Forget about talking with the woman involved and instead talk with someone who's trained to deal with the kind of problem you're having. You might also consider discontinuing sexual activity with anyone else until you get things sorted out. 

If necessary for peace of mind, take an HIV test at the appropriate time. Of course it's a waste of money and resources, but if you need the inevitable negative test result to get past this incident, then do it.

This is not an HIV situation. And yes, you are on the verge of being given a time out because all you're doing is coming back again and again with the same sort of stuff when we have told you what the real deal is.

Andy Velez

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 05:07:55 am »
I just wanted to ask 1 last question about the test that I took. Can anyone give me some reliable evidence about the Mirates Home test and its accuracy. Like I said I have used this test a few times and it has come out negative. Thanks.

Thomas

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 05:51:06 am »
Thomas,

RapidRod has given you a friendly warning, now I'm giving you a formal one.

If you read the Welcome Thread as you have been repeatedly told to do, you would have read the following:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

You did NOT have a risk of hiv infection through kissing. You have repeatedly tested negative over a no-risk event. You are hiv negative. There is nothing more we can do for you here and you are headed for a four week time-out if you continue.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 02:43:52 am »
I have another question. What then is classed as the higher risk. Getting a blowjob or kissing. Is one more high risk than the other. I have read something about the urethra being more likely to pick up an infection. Is tis right?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2006, 02:45:57 am »
<< What then is classed as the higher risk. Getting a blowjob or kissing. Is one more high risk than the other.>>

Since neither is an HIV consideration, I submit that it's a tie.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Thomasdue

Non FDA Tests
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 11:56:08 am »
I see lots of people asking about tests, and the experts talking about FDA tests. I notice that the test I used is not FDA. Does this mean that it is not accurate? Do I need to do an FDA test? I do not live in America. The test I used was by mirates. They say it is 99.5% accurate.

Offline rick_nh

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2006, 12:06:04 pm »
According to the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) website, in the United States, the only FDA-Approved testing kit is the "Home Access" test kit ( http://www.homeaccess.com/ ).

Here's the FDA page about the kit:

http://www.fda.gov/cber/infosheets/hiv-home2.htm

I'm not sure about what other countries offer. I also don't know if your particular country has an equivalent of the US FDA.

Here is what the FDA does:

"The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, efficacy, and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devices, our nation’s food supply, cosmetics, and products that emit radiation."

As far as if your test kit is accurate or not...that's difficult to determine without it having been evalutated and approved by the FDA (or your country's equivalent of the FDA). But, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not accurate. You should call or e-mail the company that you bought the kit from and ask them all of your questions.

But all of this is irrelevant anyway, since the moderators here have repeatedly informed you that you did not have a risk situation to begin with!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:34:07 pm by rick_nh »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 12:48:14 pm »
OK Thomas,

I see you're still obsessing over your no risk incident and coming here to do it despite my warning. You've given me no choice to give you a time-out and I hope this encourages you to get the face-to-face help you need.

Kissing isn't a risk for hiv infection; it never has been and never will be. You have tested reliably negative over a no-risk incident and it is now time you moved on with your life.

Do not create a new account to get around your time out - if you do, you will be banned, no questions asked.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Thomasdue

Worried about latest tests.
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 11:19:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

My Dr has ordered some more tests for my CFS. Including an HIV test. I had a lab test a few months ago and it was negative. Is there any chance of a change in antibody serology with CFS messing around with my immune system. I have had an EBV test go from neg to pos before. I'm just reallly worried they will finally find that I have HIV and not CFS.

Anyone.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Worried about latest tests.
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2006, 11:37:13 pm »
And this requires a separate thread because? If you can't find your original thread click on the "Show own posts" link in the box to your left.

MtD

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2006, 11:41:10 pm »
Why are you so spikey Matty. I'm just asking a perfectly sane question. I just want to know whether there has ever been a change in serology due to CFS.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 11:44:22 pm »
Why are you so spikey Matty. I'm just asking a perfectly sane question. I just want to know whether there has ever been a change in serology due to CFS.

Because if you bothered to read the Welcome Thread before posting you'd know that your questions, perfectly sane or otherwise, are meant to be kept in one thread.

More to the point if you'd bothered to read the Welcome Thread you wouldn't keep asking questions to which you've already had answers.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2006, 11:49:51 pm »
OK Sorry about the new thread. I am just really concerned about this. I always get worried about an HIV test. Every time I have another one when seeing a new DR (they always do the tests over) I'm worried that this will be the one that is positive. Has anyone changed from neg to pos at long periods past the window period. My window started in Feb 2005

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 03:33:01 am »
So just to put my mind at ease. Is there absolutely no possibility that my hiv status could change from neg to pos because of any strange occurance due to CFS. Like I said I have had some very strange things happening? PLease any experts here to answer?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 04:29:23 am »
Please put all your questions in ONE of your other threads, you have started. CFS will NOT interfere with an HIV test result, besides, you are negative. Why are you even back here to begin with?

Offline Thomasdue

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 05:27:37 am »
THanks Rod,

I know I shouldn't be back here but every time I change Dr's they insist on getting another HIV test even though I show them my neg result. This just sends mt BP rising and all the initial fears start coming back. I have very few friends and really have no one to talk to about this so I came back to seek some assurance. I'm waiting for the latest result and will get it tomorrow. I know I am being irrational but I can't help fearing the worst. This lab is supposed to be the really good lab and I'm just petrified they're going to find something the other labs missed. I really feel like I'm going crazy......

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 05:57:12 am »
It's not going to matter if you get tested 1000 times and processed through 1000 labs, you're going to get the same results, NEGATIVE.. I can't believe you are wasting your life doing this to yourself.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 06:15:32 am »
Thomas,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

It doesn't matter how many times you test for hiv, unless you've been having uproteced anal or vaginal intercourse or sharing needles that you haven't been telling us about, you are not going to test positive.

Kissing still is not a risk for hiv infection, just like the last time you were here. It won't be a risk the next time you come here either.

You should be researching CFS instead of messing around chasing hiv. CFS can be debilitating unless you start making some lifestyle changes and taking care of yourself through exercise and diet. Quit wasting time here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Thomasdue

P24 Antigen test.
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2006, 01:30:13 am »
I just want to know what is this P24 test. Does it actually detect the virus in the blood and not just the antibodies. How sensitive is this test.

Thanks again.

Offline Darkfiber

Re: P24 Antigen test.
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2006, 01:37:58 am »
Thomas

Please keep all your questions in your original thread. But since I guess Ann will merge them anyway I'll answer briefly.

The  P24 test is looking after a protein of the virus itself. The protein is produced in excess during the first few weeks after infection an is detectable from around 2 until 4 weeks after infection. After this period it's usually not detectable by standard P24 assays until very late in the disease when the body loses the ability to fight back against the infection.

Reports are showing a sensitivity of around 80%. Not high enough to exclude infection in any point in time.

Hope this helps.

Darkfiber

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: P24 Antigen test.
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2006, 06:53:25 am »
Thomas,

If you'd ever bother to read the Welcome thread like you've been REPEATEDLY asked to do, not only would you know to NOT create new threads (this is the second time I've had to merge) you would also know everything you need to know about the p24 antigen tests. Get with the program and stop wasting our time.

You can be given another time out if necessary.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.