Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 341
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: meds questions about daughter  (Read 7948 times)

Offline julius

meds questions about daughter
« on: July 21, 2006, 02:44:09 pm »
Could some one please help? My daughter has been infected since birth, she's in early 20's now.I had a tainted blood transfusion that I didn't find out about until after her birth.
She had become treatment resistant to most so he tried the injections.
She has been on fuzeon plus 3 other meds for about 11 months. We just got latest labs and her CD4 is 257 VL is 10,000.He's taking her off fuzeon replacing it with sustiva and keeping the other pills the same. Help Help Help is this the way to go?!!!!!!!!!!!! The million dollar question huh?
Are her counts that awful?We're in a small town and the doc seems awfully wishy washy to  me, although there aren't a whole lot of other choices around here.
Other than the numbers she has had no other complications for about 3 years which at that time were the occasional kidney infec. or "run of the mill" pneumonia.
Any words of wisdom would be so much appreciated to help a Mom here with a severely broken heart. Thank You

Offline Cliff

Re: meds questions about daughter
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 03:03:27 pm »
It's difficult to say without additional information, (especially knowing what resistance she has).  I'm sure someone may be of assistance to you here, but you may need to have access to her resistance reports.  Her numbers don't seem "awful."  The doctor may just be trying to prevent further resistance or an increase in the viral load, which may explain the change.

Offline julius

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:24:10 pm »
Thank you Cliff.
Today's been a very trying day and just hearing a reply helps.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 03:28:04 pm »
Keep your head up.  I'm glad you have found us.  You should encourage your daughter to stop by sometime.  I'm sure she could find the website and the forums, quite useful.

Take care,

Cliff

Offline J220

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 07:34:11 pm »
I don't think your doctor would put her on Sustiva unless he felt it would work. But, if you are not too happy with that doctor, maybe you could try to find another one even if you have to drive for a few hours. In any case I am sure she is going to be fine, so hang in there! And feel free to post away here, and count on all of us here to give you and your daughter all the support you need. J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »
It's generally not a good idea to add or switch to Sustiva with a failing regimen if there is a possibility of resistance to the other meds that are being left behind because it will probably lead to rapid development of resistance to Sustiva and the other NNRTIs.  It's hard to comment more on the treatment without knowing her treatment history and resistance test results.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 05:08:43 pm »
Dear Julius,welcome

I would like to echo what Gerry and Cliff have has said about more info. Resistance is not absolute.  Sometimes mutations that cause resistance can make some drugs work better...

Practical suggestions:

1. If your daughter has taken Sustiva before, or another drug from the same class (NNRTIs, there are only two others that are in general use - Viramune and Rescriptor), refuse the switch until...

2. ...the doctor orders a resistance test for both genotypic and phenotypic resistance.  The first examines the genetic make-up of the HIV infection to see which drugs should work against it, the second tests the actual virus against different drugs to see how well they suppress replication. A resistance test may take up to 3 weeks to return a result, and is done with a sample of blood.  Then...

3. ...post the resistance test results here.  People will then be able to make more informed comments and suggestions.

4. Get a second opinion.

5. Have hope.  There are several new drugs just licensed or soon to be that are resistance beating.

Best wishes

- matt

Now playing: Robbie Robertson, Golden Feather
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 11:30:58 am by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline julius

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 02:40:43 am »

Thank all of you again for responding, I can't believe that I finally found a place that you all know what I'm going through.
I have been so frightened for the last 20 plus years and now I might have found hope..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 05:54:38 am »
Julius,

How are you? You've been dealing with your own infection too for all these years. How has that been? I hope you're well and I hope to be hearing more from you - and about you too, not just your daughter. I understand your concern for her, I'm a mother myself, but you have to take care of YOU too.

I'm glad you found us.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline julius

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 11:22:46 am »
That's the bad thing in a warped way. I am doing excellent,my cd4 s are 1500 and my viral load has been undectible for 6 years. Of course I'm happy but there's also a terrible sense of guilt, at the risk of sounding melodramatic I can't help but wish I could switch places with her. Sometimes I find myself thinking if only I wouldn't have had the blood transfusion we wouldn't be living this hell.Okay that's the part of me that never gets to come out! That let out a flood of tears that I didn't even know were there today.
The realistic side of me thanks God that we are still here and compared to others are very lucky so far.
Thank you for letting me vent.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 11:31:35 am »
Julius,

You're more than welcome. I'd like to invite you to post in the Living forum. That forum gets more traffic and hence more replies. Feel free to start a thread over there to introduce yourself.

And as a mother myself, I can totally relate to what you're saying. Let those tears come - tears can be very healing so don't bottle them up, ok?

Hugs,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.