Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:15:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 589
Total: 589

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Any info  (Read 9206 times)

Offline kellyvilla

Any info
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:58 am »
Hey my name is Kelly and I work for a rehabilitation home doing the hiv testing... I was stuck by on one my client with a (surgilace SLN 300 21g 2.5mm needle)that I use for the testing I know they are single use but I'm still worried that he could have contaminated the lance before sticking me in  my hand .I don't know why he would do this I'm horrified is this a viable means of hiv transmission and should I start PEP? thx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Any info
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:38:55 am »
Kelly,

No, this is not a viable means of hiv transmission. If you're doing hiv testing, you should have a better idea of how hiv is and is not transmitted. I suggest you read through this forum to educate yourself as well as reading the Transmission Lesson linked to in our Welcome Thread.

You did not have a risk and you certainly do NOT need PEP.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »
even if he contaminated the needle?? I would not be a risk?? plz explan we have a needle hiv+ blood and a port of entry via lancet wound... thats what I learned Im really scared but I know Pep is harsh on the body

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:36:42 pm »
Any new info to all plz?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:23:12 pm »
It's unfortunate that you seem to have been so poorly educated about HIV transmission in the facility where you are working.

I don't know how you imagine the fellow could have "contaminated" the needle. It's not like you are in a shooting gallery where people are sharing needles for intravenous use. This is all about some fears you have and has no basis in HIV science nor in the circumstances you have described.
Andy Velez

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:57:42 pm »
when this happened we called the cops the cop that came said that the suapect had a fresh wound on his han i don know what kind.. but that he coupd have contaminated the needle before sticking me with is  so what im asking is if the needle indeed had fresh blood on it could transmissin happen  plz answer

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:06:51 pm »
Kelly,

NO. The type of needles you need to worry about are hollow-bore needles, not lancets. Hiv does not remain viable and able to infect when it is outside the human body. You did not have a risk.

I suggest you get better educated on all things hiv or get into a new line of work. It's extremely frustrating to come across people working in the hiv field who don't actually know what they're talking about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »
being hollow even the doctor said it possible to transmit that way ppz clear this up why wouldnt a needle covered in fresh (not dry) blood transmit the virus and it did pirce the skin

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:47:34 pm »
Sorry for the bad typing I was sendin the messages from a phone I wanted to say that the needle would have still have had blood that was not dry so technically the virus could still infect in that state I know the needle wasn't hollow so that would decrease the amount of blood that was on it but still there would be a small amount on blood on it..

Transmission in health care settings. Healthcare professionals have been infected with HIV in the workplace, usually after being stuck with needles or sharp objects containing HIV-infected blood. As for HIV-positive healthcare providers infecting their patients, there have only been six documented cases, all involving the same HIV-positive dentist in the 1980s

I got this off this website it says sharp objects. so technically it is possible right? Hiv+ blood lancet(sharp object) possible transmission????

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:18:03 am »
We've already given you our opinions about your situation.

Have you gone to the appropriate person in charge where you work and expressed your concern? Perhaps for your peace of mind you need to get tested. It seems to me that this question may continue to nag at you until you test and receive what we certainly expect will be a negative test result. You can test initially at 6 weeks past the incident and then again for a final, conclusive result at 13 weeks.

And yes, I do expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 10:31:15 am »
yes this was reported . but other than that im on my own i know a lancet is a tiny needle do you think the type of wound it makes (from the specs of the needle) would allow an hiv infection  to take place ? plz inform me about type of situation i know it's part of theoretically  possible categorie. thanks for all the help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 10:41:38 am »
Kelly,

In the US, there have been fewer than one hundred confirmed cases of hiv transmission due to needle-stick incidents in the health workplace - and not one of them has been due to a lancet-stick. That's in over 25 years of this pandemic! Needle-stick incidents are the most common form of workplace accidents in healthcare.

As Andy suggests, you can test for your own peace of mind, but don't be surprised by your negative results.

And I have to ask - you do hiv testing for a living, but when was the last time YOU had a routine hiv test? If you've ever had unprotected intercourse, then you been at risk. I would normally assume you know this and will have had routine testing, but going by what you don't  seem to know about hiv transmission, I'm not at all confident that you know much about testing either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 11:05:09 am »
hey I have another question does ARS appear 9 days after an incident I got a sore throat and I don't Know what to do Is this ARS?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »
Kelly,

Do what you normally do when you have a sore throat. It's not ARS as you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 10:57:44 am »
OK Have another question plz reply with a answer I'm still worried about the needle stick I was thinking about it here couldn't be no more than maybe  drop of blood on t if it as contaminated so how much virus would be in a drop of blood and would a drop be enough to infect? plz answer the question specifically

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 01:12:08 pm »
Ann has already told you that in the 25 years + of the epidemic no one has ever been infected through a lancet stick incident. You're not going to make history by becoming the first.

HIV is a fragile virus and infection just doesn't happen in that manner.

I have to tell you if you continue to come back here everytime you have another burst of fear that you're going to find yourself getting a 28 day Time Out from the site.

You're creating a lot of drama about this. Needlessly. 
Andy Velez

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 09:51:07 am »
hey all I have a new question I recently had a possible exposer I waited 6 week and tested it came back neg I panicked because of anxiety and went to the doc 3 days after and got pep i know it was too late but I still took a pill anyway its has now been 11 weeks and my test was neg could that 1 pill of combivir affect my window period? my risk was unprotected sex with a known POZ guy what do you guy suggest?? do I have to wait longer to test 12 weeks from that 1 pill? Plz help I messed up bad

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 10:28:01 am »
No, the one pill would not affect the accuracy of your test result.

You do need to learn from this experience since unprotected receptive vaginal (or anal) intercourse is the highest level risk for the sexual transmission of HIV. To be absolutely sure of your negative status we recommend testing 13 weeks from the most recent unprotected incident.

You can have intercourse with anyone you want to and regardless of their HIV status. You just need to do it the safer way which means always using condoms. No exceptions, no stories, no excuses. Just use those condoms and you will be well protected.

With a negative result at 11 weeks I expect you to continue to test negative. 
Andy Velez

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 10:48:52 am »
hey I have been looking on the net for an answer to this question since my partner is + . sometimes we use toys and share them before I use them I wipe them down wish i alcohol will that kill hiv?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 12:23:52 pm »
Kelly,

Wiping them with alcohol or just washing them is fine. You can also put a condom on them.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 01:43:18 pm »
thx for the reply ann I was asking because I wiped it down with alcohol while we were messing around so would alcohol kill hiv in the fluid?

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »
what I ment was would wiping it down with alcohol be enough to kill any virus on its while its in use? I know washing would be better but thats hard in heat of the moment. thx im new to all this

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 03:09:35 pm »
Kelly,

I've already told you that wiping it is fine. You can also put a condom on it - probably less hassle than the alcohol. Switch condoms when you switch who it's being used on.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 03:17:27 pm »
sorry about that ann and next time i will use condoms your awsome when cleaning them can I use any kind of soap? and for my parter can you just tell him that alcohol kills the virus hes reading thisto

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »
he didnt belive me sombody told him that alcohol didnt work and to use bleach... ouch thanks a bunch ann your great

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 04:07:54 pm »
Kelly,

As far as hiv is  concerned, you are worrying unnecessarily. Once hiv is outside the body, small changes in temperature and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Alcohol will certainly damage it. You should be cleaning or changing a condom on a sex toy before using it on another person for general hygiene reasons.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:13 am »
hey I have a wierd question is there any why that lubricant can be contaminated with hiv in if any of my partners fluid where to get in it. I know hiv does not survive outside the body long but since lube doesnt dry would that keep the virus alive? and would it be possible to become infected this way
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:57:00 am by kellyvilla »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 11:00:42 am »
Kelly,

No way could hiv remain infectious in lube. NO WAY. Please re-read my last post to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 01:38:33 pm »
hey guys today we spoke to a coumsler about risk and she said somthing that cought me off gaurd she said preformong oral on him is arisk to me because the immune cells on my tonsils pose a risk

Offline kellyvilla

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »
so if precum or semen came into contact with those types of cells on my tonsils would that be risky?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 02:27:11 pm »
Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effective prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

You are still worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.