Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:20:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 629
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: California Sues AIDS Group for Illegal Use of $2.8 Million  (Read 10466 times)

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
http://www.poz.com/articles/lawsuit_funds_illegal_1_18483.shtml

California Attorney General Edmund G. Brown Jr. filed a lawsuit to close the Monterey County AIDS Project (MCAP) for its alleged illegal use of more than $2.8 million in HIV/AIDS funding, KCBA  reports.

MCAP?s former officers and directors used $1.8 million in HIV/AIDS funds earmarked to provide housing for people living with HIV and another $1 million was misspent on personal expenses such as expensive restaurant meals and credit card and personal mortgage payments, Brown said.

Crap like this is why mom never gives us nice things!

[.Fodão.]

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: California Sues AIDS Group for Illegal Use of $2.8 Million
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:18:08 pm »
makes me think of the recent incidents with the NC Metrolina Aids Project implosion
http://goqnotes.com/4018/metrolina-aids-project-comes-to-an-end/
and the financial mess with the DC ASOs
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/12/AR2009121202900.html

it's sad but now that so many years have gone by, and the core of some ASOs have changed from that original group of gay men trying to protect other gay men and to keep people from dying of AIDS, treatment and prevention of HIV has just become another social service big business venture. A business where some have found how easy it can be to steal from, and risk the lives of, the sick, dying, poor and under-educated.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 12:36:56 pm »
When I lived in Chicago it became clear by the 90's we were being had by a few Aids organizations . The gay press got involved and we stopped emptying our pockets until some groups got they're act together .

Another thing that helped was when groups began to pay attention and tried not to duplicate services so money was spent in a more effective way . Credit is due to those early activist that were willing to speak up and fight when necessary .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »
Add Filthydelphia to the list:

Auditor assails Pennsylvania health department on city AIDS spending

The Pennsylvania Auditor General's Office criticized the state's oversight of HIV/AIDS prevention funding Wednesday in a report that alleges more than $700,000 in waste, abuse, and potentially fraudulent spending by the Philadelphia Department of Public Health.

Among their findings, auditors uncovered duplicate invoices totaling $223,000 that were submitted by the city's AIDS Activities Coordinating Office (AACO) and paid by the state Department of Health during fiscal 2008, the key period examined.

An additional $38,000 was deemed inappropriate, including $13,000 for T-shirts, $7,000 to take college students to a water park in Wildwood, and other money considered incentives for people to participate in HIV-awareness campaigns.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:40:15 pm »
in another thread, some people had an issue with my comment that some of the money America sends overseas against HIV/AIDS should stay here to cover the ADAP funding crisis that is happening in more and more states. I also commented that states could improve their "fiscal responsiblity" to also provide enough money to fund their ADAP and health care issues - and I caught some flack for that too. There was an inane suggestion that I meant cuts to food stamp programs or education as some sort of solution.

Instead, it would seem that some fiscal responsibility solutions could be that states not loan money for golf tournaments, finance beauty paegants, or allow ASOs to spend tens of thousands of dollars on t-shirts, housing for directors and their relatives, personal credit card payments or water park passes. All of that money could have been better spent procuring HAART regimens through the states' ADAP progams.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »
jeezuz

Here in my state in switzerland they discover someone has embezzled huge sums from the state hospital, happens like every third year.  Once an important doctor. Than an executive. Last time it was some sort of accounting functionary. 

I think this stuff is human nature in publicly funded jobs. 

makes you want to believe in kharma.

BUt also, don't take these critiques too far. Thank god we have publicly funded health organisations. Just a pity there are bad seeds, and not enough oversight.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 05:39:53 pm »
BUt also, don't take these critiques too far. Thank god we have publicly funded health organisations.
the publically funded health care organization, Metrolina Aids Project, that was caring for hundreds of HIV+ clients in the Charlotte, NC metro area totally closed because of the scandal and misappropriations of money, leaving all those people without access to health care, Ryan White, etc.

The South Carolina ASO/clinic that I go to just across the state line from Charlotte (approx 45min), was able to make arrangements to take on approx 100 NC clients while others were transferred to an ASO/clinic 2 hrs away in Greenville. Not to mention that while SC has it's own ADAP funding issues and an ever-increasing wait list, NC's ADAP wait list was already up to 530 for the month of May.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »
Gosh, I didnt mean to justify it or insult anyone here. Really.

I mean, its indefensible.  But one wouldnt want to open an Acorn like hysteria and witch hunt and loose everything. 

Maybe all these local organisation should have a few clients on the governing board?  How else can you be assured of oversight? 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:01:28 pm »
Maybe all these local organisation should have a few clients on the governing board?  How else can you be assured of oversight? 
I know two clients from my ASO that are on the board. I myself have been asking a lot of questions as a new client this year and as I've become involved in the issue with the ADAP funding in SC. As far as I can tell, I'm very happy to see that this ASO/clinic has had 10 yrs service in the community suppported by several generous private donors and yearly grant money that funds the bulk of their health care and outreach services.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 04:50:17 pm »
MCAP?s former officers and directors used $1.8 million in HIV/AIDS funds earmarked to provide housing for people living with HIV and another $1 million was misspent on personal expenses such as expensive restaurant meals and credit card and personal mortgage payments, Brown said.[/i]
[/center]

Crap like this is why mom never gives us nice things!

That's one way to help the economy but What?!  nothing on Male Prostitutes or Go Go boys?! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:49:31 am »
Send the former officers and directors to prison... and make them pay the miss-directed funds back... Harsh penalty's for miss-use of funds...  always sends out a message!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 10:50:08 am »
Since there are people going without life-saving meds due to lack of funding, this story compounds my feelings of absolute disgust.

Offline Miss Philicia

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:02 am »
fyi

Heinz Family Philanthropies, Welvista and Abbott Announce Solution to Help Patients on State ADAP Waiting Lists for No-Cost HIV Medications

Glad to hear it, Kentucky is of course the worst offender.  I guess for me that would mean changing meds though if it came down to it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 11:17:55 am »
Glad to hear it, Kentucky is of course the worst offender.  I guess for me that would mean changing meds though if it came down to it.

Kentucky?  Did you just move in with Teddy?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 11:18:56 am »
Kentucky?  Did you just move in with Teddy?

I'm the third in our relationship.

No, I was just making a statement that kentucky is the worst and Welvista is located in South Carolina (second worst offender).

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:55 am »
fyi
that's good news! ;D thanks for the info ;)

This grant will help provide for a one-year program to help any patient on a state ADAP waiting list who needs an Abbott HIV medication.  Abbott, the global health care company, makes protease inhibitors that are important components of many HIV combination treatment regimens.
however, am I correct in thinking that abbott only manufactures protease inhibitors (ie norvir and Kaletra)?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 11:26:40 am »
I'm the third in our relationship.

No, I was just making a statement that kentucky is the worst and Welvista is located in South Carolina (second worst offender).

Kentucky worst "what" though?  North Carolina has the most people on a waiting list by far.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:17 am »
Could've sworn I've seen reports stating Kentucky had mroe than any other state with 1000+ people on their waiting lists alone.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:09 am »
Kentucky worst "what" though?  North Carolina has the most people on a waiting list by far.
KY "had" the longest list for most of this year. NC just garnered that "honor" last month when they changed the poverty level requirements and also began to drop current ADAP clients (they did not re-certify cases, when they came up for the yearly review, that no longer met these new standards). SC is supposed to be getting a similar jump in numbers this next report for the same reasons.

the total in the US from the May report was 1004

edited to add:  1,143 individuals, as of May 20, 2010
http://nastad.org/Docs/Public/InFocus/2010521_ADAP%20Watch%20update%20-%205.21.10.pdf
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:37:39 am by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 11:46:24 am »
that's good news! ;D thanks for the info ;)

This grant will help provide for a one-year program to help any patient on a state ADAP waiting list who needs an Abbott HIV medication.  Abbott, the global health care company, makes protease inhibitors that are important components of many HIV combination treatment regimens.
however, am I correct in thinking that abbott only manufactures protease inhibitors (ie norvir and Kaletra)?

I just did some checking around and it seems other drug companies have done some similar maneuvers, but the bottom line is still that states contribute 10-20% to Ryan White Part B funding, which is all for drugs, and *cough* conservative states are slashing budgets because come hell or high water they'll never consider raising taxes on the top tier earners to make up for shortfalls.  While I agree that there should be increases in federal funding too, ADAP programs are an easy target in certain states, and these are often states that don't have a particular large power base in terms of HIV/AIDS activism, because the number of people being served is simply not as large as in CA/NY -- just those two states have over 50% of all federal ADAP dollars.

From what I can tell, for example, North Carolina, with a total population 30% less than Pennsylvania, has twice the ADAP program expenditures, yet with the highest amount of people on a waiting list -- yet the two states serve almost the same number of ADAP clients.  Is there even a state chapter of ACT-UP there to organize advocacy?  I won't even go into what the comparative tax rates of the two states are.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 12:00:36 pm »

I won't even go into what the comparative tax rates of the two states are.

Oh go on. You know you want to! ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 12:22:23 pm »
Oh go on. You know you want to! ;)

Don't make me even begin to compare the ADAP ethnic background/breakdown between the two.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 01:02:42 pm »

Don't make me even begin to compare the ADAP ethnic background/breakdown between the two.

~twists Philly's arm~
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »
and *cough* conservative states are slashing budgets because come hell or high water they'll never consider raising taxes on the top tier earners to make up for shortfalls.  While I agree that there should be increases in federal funding too, ADAP programs are an easy target in certain states, and these are often states that don't have a particular large power base in terms of HIV/AIDS activism, because the number of people being served is simply not as large as in CA/NY -- just those two states have over 50% of all federal ADAP dollars.
I totally agree with both of your points. ;)

With the latest budgeting issues in SC where they proposed slashing millions from all sorts of health care programs, the GOP candidates running for the governorship are suggesting even more "tax cuts" are feasible. ::)
http://chronicle.augusta.com/2010-05-29/gop-candidates-want-cut-taxes-midst-budget-crisis?v=1275168626

Also you have a point about the amount of clients in the power base. Just as I mentioned in another thread, that by living in smaller city in OH, I wasn't receiving optimal care (azt monotherapy when ddI had been approved for several months), so too living in a state with few HIV+ people is a huge issue to overcoming access to proper health care. Living outside of a major metro area affected by HIV has always been a problem in dealing with this epidemic.

Not only are there fewer doctors trained in the field (there are only 2 ID doctors serving my 3-county area - pop 325,979), but people have to travel further to receive care. Of course, being that a smaller percentage of the population is affected by this disease, there is less overall concern about funding for the disease or it's prevention. Add onto that the lack of concern from within the very community and the situation is very grim. Representing 2100 ADAP clients, only a little bit over 200 people attended the recent rally at the state capital. There wasn't even 10% worth of support from the very people receiving the assistance.

For example in my state of SC, there are approx. 2100 ADAP clients out of 14,136 people living with HIV/AIDS in a state population of 4,561,242. Only 14% of HIV+ people are ADAP clients and all the HIV+ people don't even add up to 1% of the state's population.

With so small a percentage of the state population affected, is it any wonder we don't rank high on list of concerns when the budget comes around. Which is really sad as it means a small amount of the budget would have such a great potential of not only saving lives but stemming the tide of the infections before the problem does reach a higher percentage.

why dance around the issue? HIV is definitely a racial issue in SC, with blacks predominately infected, and the numbers rising. Most of the prevention/testing/education my ASO does is within the black community (rec center and churches) in conjunction with the FAITH project
%SC%US
Non-Hispanic Black 67%33%
Non-Hispanic White 26%35%
http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?cmprgn=1&cat=11&rgn=42&ind=539&sub=127

I'm not certain that there are any good answers to the problems here. Do we keep protesting and demanding that these states "fix" these issues of mistreatment? Do we micromanage every ASO expenditure? Do we hope that big pharma will "donate" more meds to the indigent? Do we demand that all HIV+ people move and congregate in one centralized location to receive better access to meds and treatment? When we can't outvote certain ingrained religious/racial viewpoints, do we just shrug our shoulders, blame it on the "conservatives" and let people die without meds?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.