Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:01:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 600
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone else like to sail? Harvest Moon Regatta?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline hotpuppy

Anyone else like to sail? Harvest Moon Regatta?
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:22:09 pm »
Not sure where to start, so ....

I want to participate in the Harvest Moon Regatta, an offshore sailing race from Galveston, Texas to Port Aransas, Texas. 

I own a 27 foot Tartan Sailboat, which is suitable for the trip.  That's hurdle one.

I'm short crew.  I'm looking for 3 other folks who are interested in this that have sailing experience.  I would consider someone without experience who has alot of enthusiasm as well. 

About the Race: http://www.harvestmoonregatta.com/

Why:  It seems like it would be interesting and it's an affordable adventure. 

My racing experience: None... just racing to the toilet when my meds misbehave.  :)

My Sailing experience:  Day Sailing / local sailing for the past 3 years.  ASA Certified for bareboat chartering.  Started saiilng when I was in my teens, and sailed on and off 5 -6 years ago with a C-22.

Timeline:  Leave Kemah October 15th, Race starts Oct 16th@2pm.  I estimate that it will take 24 to 30 hours to complete the course based on a conservative speed.  Arrive Port Aransas Friday, Oct 17th evening or late evening. 

There are opportunities to party, etc with the str8 sailors.  I'm not interested in that and would prefer to start back on Saturday.  I estimate returning on Monday.  I'm anticipating the return trip by Intra-coastal waterway (aka the ditch) through alot of scenic Texas coast.

I would prefer folks who are local to the Houston region.  This would make it easier to do a shakedown cruise or two and make sure you are comfortable with the adventure.

If you are interested send me a PM and we can talk more.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline fearless

Re: Anyone else like to sail? Harvest Moon Regatta?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:29:29 pm »
sounds awesome, but alas, i'm about 20,000 km away.

"ASA Certified for bareboat chartering" - I had to chuckle - sounds like some dirty bareback cruise.  :D
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:15 pm »
Yes, I should elaborate, lest I fuel someone's dirty fantasies.

Okay, first this is NOT a sex project. 

Second, Bareboat is not a type of sex.  LOL.. It refers to chartering a boat without a captain or crew.  When you visit the carribean or any number of places you can rent a boat with a captain or without. 

Most people will not rent you a $250K boat without a captain in strange waters unless you can demonstrate that you know what you are doing.  The American Sailing Association (ASA) came up with a program and courses that help establish your credibility to charter and operate a boat safely.  Someone who is bareboat certified is capable of operating a power or sail vessel up to 40 feet in moderate conditions in unfamiliar waters. 

Even if you can't participate in my project.  I urge you to check out sailing.  For one thing you can do it on just about any body of water.  For another it can open up social and outdoors activities that are relaxing.  I enjoy going sailing because it helps me appreciate how much larger the world is and it forces me to literally go 5mph.  I find that when I slow down, my stress goes away and I can focus on the simple things in life and chill the hell out.  :)

It's not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, and if you can pull a rope (or something similar) I'm sure you can hoist a sail and get underway.  Okay, so maybe sailing does sound a tad naughty?  haha, hoist a sheet and get underway.... lol.  Anyhow.

I'm going to resume chanting IKE GO AWAY in hopes that I don't have to deal with that drama this weekend.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:26:53 pm »

It's not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, and if you can pull a rope (or something similar) I'm sure you can hoist a sail and get underway.  Okay, so maybe sailing does sound a tad naughty?  haha, hoist a sheet and get underway.... lol.  Anyhow.

I like sailing because... you can say things like "GOOD HEAD" and everyone at the marina thinks you are talking about the toilet  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:09:09 pm »
Wish I am closer to Texas so I can join. Had some sailing experience mostly drinking beer peeing in a bottle on a local lake near Santa Babara.

harvest moon, isn't that 9/14?
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:20:30 pm »

harvest moon, isn't that 9/14?

Yes it is.  The Harvest Moon is the closest to the Autumnal Equinox which is usually after the first frost.  This Moon will be in Aries so people will be highly enthusiastic.  According to my almanac, the Moon will be square Jupiter whichg is not a good time for financial judgement.  People tend to be extravagant, foolishly generous and lazy.  Sure looks like a great day to me.

Later the same day, the Moon will be sextile Neptune which promotes a strong and inspirational immagination.  This day must be the best.  The Harvest Moon is legend in Norse mythology and is said to be the most powerful of Moons.  It is a good time to leave offerings for dearly departed friends and family.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:40:18 pm »
you can say things like "GOOD HEAD" and everyone at the marina thinks you are talking about the toilet  ;D  

Click here: Craig argues to reverse plea in bathroom sex case, Sept. 10, 2008

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:08:05 am »

Click here: Craig argues to reverse plea in bathroom sex case, Sept. 10, 2008

Oh Yeah, we've seen pictures, read stories in magazines, film at 11:00  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:49 am »
I always thought the Harvest Moon was the first full moon after the Autumnal Equinox.  But what do I know?  Apparently I had it confused with the Full Hunter's Moon (never heard of it):

Oct. 14, 4:02 p.m. EDT — Full Hunters' Moon. With the leaves falling and the deer fattened, it is time to hunt. Since the fields have been reaped, hunters can ride over the stubble, and can more easily see the fox, along with other animals, which have come out to glean and can be caught for a thanksgiving banquet after the harvest.

Anyway, the regatta sounds like a blast.  I think this is about the first time in my life I wished I was Texan.  Hotpuppy...I wish I could join you.  Happy sailing.

robert

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 02:13:07 am »
I always thought the Harvest Moon was the first full moon after the Autumnal Equinox.  But what do I know?  Apparently I had it confused with the Full Hunter's Moon (never heard of it):

I guess it depends on which almanac we are looking at...  In Circle Sanctuary, I find the Autumnal Equinox spans a period in time from September 21st to October 15th.  It has several names which include: The Second Harvest Festival, Wine Festival, Feast of Avalon and a few other names.  October 15th is Norse New Year and the next Lunar cycle is the Hunters Moon.  But however comma this is not going to get us to Texas to sail with Hotpuppy.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 02:57:08 pm »
Unfortunately, blowjob by Ike has screwed up my plans for sailing.  Can't afford to take the time off to mess with it.  GRRRR.  The first time I've really not been happy with a blow in a long time.  lol.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.