Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 351
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS is over  (Read 10843 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
AIDS is over
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:05:17 pm »
I have started volunteering for a group here in town called AIDS Interfaith Ministry.  AIM operates a food pantry, offers counseling, helps with transportation, conducts educational workshops, has a buddy program and does a monthly buddy dinner.  The services are open to any one that is HIV+, faith of clients is irrelevant.  The program is funded through grants and such.  For many years a grant was received from the metro government.  This year they did not get the grant partly because requests far exceeded funds available and also because the committee felt that AIDS was really not that bid of a problem anymore.  THANK YOU, BONO, BILL CLINTON, PROJECT RED AND HAART.

And why wouldn't people think it is over.  HAART is great more people are living after being diagnosed.  However the media no longer has wards full of patients dieing gruesome deaths to capture America's attention. Celebrities, politicians and businesses are focussing more and more on Africa.  I have no problem with that, but let's not forget the millions known to be infected and those infected who don't even know it.  I think we are losing the PR battle.  Why?

To me one reason is image.  The American image portrayed through advertising is of HIV+ positive people that look happy, healthy and active, leading normal lives.  How can that compete with row after row of hospital beds in Africa filled with people dieing of AIDS. By comparing only those 2 pictures the crisis is obviously much worse in Africa.  When we know that is not true.  Countless Americans are struggling to survive this disease.  The clients at AIM struggle to find affordable housing, depend on food stamps and a pantry for nutrition, must hope that payment for drugs is available from some source.  They must depend on the organization for metal health therapy and even transportation to the doctor. Thank goodness we have progressed from those hospital wards of dieing, but the crisis is still here and needs our attention.

I have only known I was positive for one year tomorrow.  My thingking changes on a daily basis.  The one thing I am becoming more and more sure of is this we to come together.  We need to stop fighting over whether being positive is manageable or not.  We need to get over this newbie vs oldie battle.  We need to move beyond the little picture to the big picture.  Weather you have been positive 20 years or 20 days we are all in the same battle. The voice of Moffie is as relevant as mine.  We must work together and share information to keep HIV/AIDS relevant in the eyes of our government, our grant committees, the public.  I am gradually becoming more of an activist, can I make a big difference nationally probably not, but maybe I can here in Louisville.  Just maybe next year when our grant comes up someone can't say AIDS is over.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: AIDS is over
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:08:51 pm »
"AIDS is over"

Thank GOD.  Who wants to fuck?  PM ME!  Swede and Queen get first shot!

After of course the lovely Mrs AC has her way with me.  So their may be a slight waiting period of a week or so.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:19:26 pm »
HIV is more prevalent in Africa and there is less access to healthcare, medication and food than in the US. It seems reasonable to allocate resources toward an area where there is a greater crisis. At least in the US you there is a system to access healthcare, shelter, food and employment. I understand there is poverty and HIV in the US but it's not the same as in Africa. I think it's great you want to help the poor in the US but don't knock people for caring about the situation in Africa.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:21:04 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline bravebuddharich

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:35:16 pm »
AIDS is over? tell that to the 4 men who i knew (one was an ex-bf) who died at the end of last year.

Offline woodshere

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:37:30 pm »
HIV is more prevalent in Africa and there is less access to healthcare, medication and food than in the US. It seems reasonable to allocate resources toward an area where there is a greater crisis. At least in the US you there is a system to access healthcare, shelter, food and employment. I understand there is poverty and HIV in the US but it's not the same as in Africa. I think it's great you want to help the poor in the US but don't knock people for caring about the situation in Africa.

Of course I didn't.  I think it is fine and important to focus on the plight in Africa and do all that can be done to help.  My point, which perhaps I didn't make very well, is that more and more people are thinking that HIV/AIDS is no longer a problem here in America and I think one reason is the 2 different images we see.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 06:39:14 pm »
What may be a recent look at the situation in Africa can be found in the thread titled: I'm scared, my bf is in Hospital T_T  I say may only because I have one person's posts to provide a window and until he opens the window a bit wider, the scene is stark and disturbing.  

As of last week's a.s.o. meeting, MA, the state, has had its (hiv/aids) budget cut by 3 million federal dollars. We won't know for awhile how the state cut will impact us locally on the Cape and Islands.

My new effort to change the face of hiv/aids which I have mentioned elsewhere is to bring together volunteers from our a.s.o.'s client base and go out there into the community and do things.  The first project, a test one, will be painting the kitchen and living room of a residence (I work at) for the mentally challenged.  I am using this location because no disclosure will be necessary (for the volunteers), I am an a.s.o. client, board co-chair and residence staff member, so able to straddle the two.  Somehow, at the e.d. level, our a.s.o. director will notify the residence's overall director about the source of the volunteers.  If this works well, I hope to expand it, intruding the face of hiv/aids more and more into the community for one simple reason: once we have touched the community, we have connected it to hiv/aids.  Hopefully those who still assume that they are untouched by hiv/aids will discover, through such efforts, that, in fact, they have been, that we represent not only a hand outstretched in need, but a hand offering hands to help.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 07:13:03 pm »
Woods,

I commend you on performing a public service for those in need and wish I was more like you.   I also share your concern that the U.S. media pronounced AIDS cured and too many people actually believe it.  The need for services in the USA is greater than it's ever been and current funding levels are allowing people to die.  This is the greatest country in the world?

I share GSO's opinion that HIV in the USA and HIV in Africa are equally important on a global scale, so wish all programs needed were funded in the USA so no "competition" would exist.  This argument is not really about Africa but about all countries where HIV infection rates are high and there are limited or no resources available for the infected populace.   Before 9/11 changed the course of history, in early 2001 then Secretary of State Colin Powell defined global AIDS as a serious threat to USA security. 

We must write our political representatives, President, and anyone else responsible for allocating funding to assist all HIV infected people in the USA who need assistance with medical care and prohibitively expensive drugs.  The fight in the USA needs to be fought and won, not in competition but collaboration with U.S. funding of global AIDS initiatives.  There is more than enough money to cover both needs if we can get our government to allocate it. 

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline ScooterTrash

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 07:23:26 pm »
We must write our political representatives, President, and anyone else responsible for allocating funding to assist all HIV infected people in the USA

Anyone willing to draft a letter for me/us?

I'd be happy to send one to my State Representative.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:42:56 pm »
one of the biggest AIDS advocates died a day or two ago.

Bob Hattoy, Activist and Clinton Advisor, Dies

AIDS activist Bob Hattoy, 56, who spoke about AIDS at the 1992 Democratic Convention and advised President Clinton about HIV, died of AIDS over the weekend. He was living in California, where he had been appointed president of the state Fish and Game Commission last month. 

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 11:36:17 pm »
one of the biggest AIDS advocates died a day or two ago.

Bob Hattoy, Activist and Clinton Advisor, Dies

Obviously someone forgot to tell him AIDS is a manageable chronic illness. 

Boo

Sorry about that.  I couldn't restrain myself.

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 12:40:09 pm »

Willie Ninja - The inventor of Vogue, friend of Madonna, Runway coach to the stars including Paris Hilton died of AIDS in Septemeber 2006.  He looked healthy and strong in July when I lost saw him at Splash Bar dancing all night long until 2 in the morning. Was a very appraochable and friendly man. May he RIP

words from his ex-boyfriend :

http://terrencesays.blogspot.com/2006/09/paris-still-burns-willi-ninja-rip.html

The Legendary Willi Ninja was my boyfriend for three years. I remember meeting him at Escuelita where he was working the door; introduced to me by Ms. Angel Sheridan. We spoke and chatted online for a year and half before he agreed to go on a first date with me. It sparked and not long afterwards, I proposed to him publicly at Splash, with a handful of friends as witnesses, and asked for his hand.

Willi Ninja: my beloved ex-lover; model of humanity; embodiment of kindness and hope. Master of the "read." The eternal prankster.

Despite our differences and although we were already separated, I never abandoned him. I was always there to help him when things got tough with him or Momma. He will always be in my heart because he was, and will forever be, an ICON on many levels.

WILLI... YOU WILL BE MISSED! I HAVE NEVER STOPPED LOVING YOU!

Javi

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 01:56:43 pm »
Why is no one drawing the obvious string connecting reactionary presidential administrations and the lack of proper funding for HIV/AIDS in the US? Lest anyone forget, PIs were introduced in 1996, four years into the Clinton administration.

Obviously these meds take years to develop, but when the eye is removed from the prize, and spending on R&D is curtailed and/or minimized, the wait is that much greater. What is the greatest breakthrough since the year 2000? Once-daily pills?

As long as the agenda is set by religious fundamentalists and cultural warriors of the right, how can we expect to actually see any promise in the advancement of treatment options?

Brent
(Wh likes to see with eyes wide open)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Zanarkand

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 02:23:42 pm »
The more of this post I read- the more I want to leave this forum
Half of this seems to be an attack on me
Wonderful
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:26:14 pm by Zanarkand »
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 02:30:55 pm »
Wonderful

Why do you feel that way?
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Zanarkand

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 02:37:01 pm »
Because I'm from South Africa.
Latest topics here have been about South Africa and how bad our health is.
Because I look at hiv as a chronic illness.
This entire topic is basically everything I've posted in negative.
Wonderful to see what people think of you the moment it's not in a forum you posted in.

Offline woodshere

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 02:37:43 pm »
Wonderful

Since I started this thread I will say it has absolutely nothing to do with you.  It has to do with the fact that services for people with HIV/AIDS are being underfunded and eventually cut because many people think that for whatever reason there is no HIV/AIDS crisis in the US.

Woods

Offline Zanarkand

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 02:42:23 pm »
Nah not to what you said woodshere.

Boo

That hurt deep

Offline ScooterTrash

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 02:47:31 pm »
Here is an example of what is happening in my area;

http://www.ucan-wa.org/letter.pdf

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 03:32:49 pm »
Because I'm from South Africa.
Latest topics here have been about South Africa and how bad our health is.
Because I look at hiv as a chronic illness.
This entire topic is basically everything I've posted in negative.
Wonderful to see what people think of you the moment it's not in a forum you posted in.

It's no secret that all of sub-Saharan Africa is in deep shit with HIV/AIDS.  Nothing about you as a person.

And just because people disagree with your assessment of HIV means doesn't mean they're attacking you personally. 

It's nothing to do with you... just a situation.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 05:50:59 pm »
Quote from: Boo Radley
on Yesterday at 10:36:17 PM

Boo

That hurt deep

Zanarkand,

I am sorry if my gallows humor hurt your feelings but assure you it was not meant to hurt your or anyone's feelings. 

It was a bad joke referring to an ongoing discussion here at AIDSmeds about the future for HIV infected people.  I did not mean to antagonize anyone in the "manageable illness" camp but hoped a few would get a chuckle from the morbid absurdity my statement represented.

Again, I apologize for hurting your feelings.

Boo

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 10:20:15 pm »
I have started volunteering for a group here in town called AIDS Interfaith Ministry.  AIM operates a food pantry, offers counseling, helps with transportation, conducts educational workshops, has a buddy program and does a monthly buddy dinner.  The services are open to any one that is HIV+, faith of clients is irrelevant.  The program is funded through grants and such.  For many years a grant was received from the metro government.  This year they did not get the grant partly because requests far exceeded funds available and also because the committee felt that AIDS was really not that bid of a problem anymore.   

Hi Woods. I'm curious to know exactly what was said or written, only if it's acceptable to share that with us of course  >:(  >:(  >:(

Anyone willing to draft a letter for me/us?

I'd be happy to send one to my State Representative.

Hi Scooter, I hope someone here steps up to help, and/or your ASO connects you to someone with experience. To my knowledge there's an optimal/proper way to compose letters to our public officials, e.g., even the greeting, i.e., "The Honorable so-and-so blah blah". If I had more experience, I would definitely help out. Thanks for sharing that pdf file (from your ASO, yes?) in your Reply #17 which reminds us that right now, the "abstinence only" crowd is getting preferential treatment  :-\

Edited: Word change
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:34:58 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Zanarkand

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 07:45:02 pm »
I'm over it.  :P

Might as well join in on topic seeming its very close to me.

The problem with SA (South Africa) is our government funded arvs are

1- Really bad, not sure which ones but they make you sick for a long time, over 2 months.
2 - Can only be obtained when your cd4 is BELOW 200, go higher and they take you off
3 - You have to join a 2 month "How to take ur pills" course and have ur cd4 checked every month
4 - You wait 2 months to join the course
5 - You're likely to get an OI during the course because there are a lot of 3rd world people in it

Ultimately -> You're better off finding your own meds

Meds cost anywhere from R3000 to R10.000 a month
The average South African earns R3000 a month

Basically... If you're not rich
You're F%$^@#

Myself... am not rich.

Which means my options are limited to Medical Aid and Government (aka Suicidals)

Average life expectancy here is about 40 when excluding hiv.
Crime is the worst thing.
2 people close to me have been murdered. There's a mugging every day.

This place sucks....
But with this virus, how are we to leave the country?

That is the situation in SA in a nutshell

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 08:20:13 pm »
The problem with SA (South Africa) is our government funded arvs are

1- Really bad, not sure which ones but they make you sick for a long time, over 2 months.
2 - Can only be obtained when your cd4 is BELOW 200, go higher and they take you off
3 - You have to join a 2 month "How to take ur pills" course and have ur cd4 checked every month
4 - You wait 2 months to join the course
5 - You're likely to get an OI during the course because there are a lot of 3rd world people in it

Ultimately -> You're better off finding your own meds

Meds cost anywhere from R3000 to R10.000 a month
The average South African earns R3000 a month

Basically... If you're not rich
You're F%$^@#

:-[  :'( Hey Zan. Thank you for educating me about your country's situation. The rules for meds seem extreme.  :'(

Over here (U.S.), the rich have much to be happy about of course. The middle classes here are certainly F'd.  >:( The poor too, but not as F'd, thanks to welfare programs
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:23:49 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 12:47:57 am »
Hey Zan,

If your CD4 goes above 200 they take you off your meds?

Good God/dess, your government is full of cow manure. That is ludicrous.

I am sorry this is happening in your land.

I think, as Woodshere mentioned somewhere in this thread, few people would want to see whatever assistance or funding is going to S.A. and other sub-Saharan nations curtailed.

The point is there are programs not being funded in the U.S. that are needed too. The choice, to me at least, isn't to trade one for the other, but rather see that both our local agencies/services are funded while supporting efforts to help globally.

Frankly, funding AIDS assistance in Africa, or anywhere outside the U.S. isn't the problem. It is a certain U.S. president's penchant for spending money on military endeavors, the most recent of which is costing billions of dollars that could have been much better spent elsewhere. But, I digress . . .

There is nothing I can realistically do for the people of South Africa. I wish there were. Fact is, there is little chance of my making any difference in the U.S. national AIDS policy.

But I can volunteer, be active and participate here at home. That includes writing letters to my state and federal reps.
If we make our voices heard, we might just make a difference.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Zanarkand

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 05:56:27 am »
I agree completely.
Everyone is suffering from this virus, not just SA.
The world is somehow "expected" to "give" us everything.
Oprah, US President etc....

I don't think it's right, I think as a South African I have to take a stand and see to it that my country goes the right way.
The problem is our government doesn't give a s%@^ about anyone.

So basically, unless you have lots of power; you can't really do anything.
It's been like this for years now, not only about HIV but mainly Crime.
The people aren't allowed to do anything if someone breaks into their house.
You're supposed to let them steal everything you have and then let them kill you.
If you shoot them you goto jail. Not them.
'tis sad.
This is one of the best countries in the world.
It's a pity we have such a f@^#!* up government.

But I think things'll change soon at the next elections.
It seems that people are tired of the "ANC" ruling our government.

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 05:53:10 am »
Hey Woods. I asked you an interesting question in my Reply #20 and I just wanna make sure you see it so I'm gonna bump this

Alex

Offline dixieman

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 11:18:57 am »
Africa has most of the richest natural resources of the world... but, unfortunately its spread to a few and not to the many... also its like take care of our own house here in the good ole USA first... and when we get our own shit together lets HELP take care of the World... soooooooooo much political chaos... going on in Africa and to bring an issue to light... SLAVERY is still Practiced in Africa... and it is still legal in the country of Mauritania... but, no one ever speaks of it... gencide is a common practice among tribes... and the like... I think great revolutions and the like should rid the pyramid effect of wealth disrtibution is much needed... but, unfortunately illiteracy is rampant... oh? the USA has the same conditions but, not to the EXTREMES of the continent of Africa...
Soon alot more people in this government will hear the cries of the people of America... due to soooooooo many heterosexuals now facing the same infection rates as homo-sexuals from the past... monies allocated to organizations that were once there for gay males with this disease will soon be taken away to help quoate"Norm" of society... oh  and lets not forget the United States is the most sexually transmitted disease capital of the world for and industrial nation... so the CDC is in FEAR that it wants mandates to check everyone for hiv... the TRUE numbers for those infected will soon be out within the next few years... 1-5 million a cast numbers at present... but, in reality it maybe 5 to 10 times higher than expected... Education has not worked... the only way to find a cure in my mind would be for the people to DEMAND our political leaders etc... to get off their ass and make it a PRIORITY... complacency will be the demise of this country... resources in the future will be depleated... its not a republican/democrate issue... it is an American ISSUE! I can not stand to hear people say... I'm not political... use your vote make your VOICE heard and our political leaders accountable...
FORCE the MEDIA to look at the issues...

Offline RobT

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 08:28:21 pm »
Gawd, I wish!

Rob
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.