Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:42:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risks of HIV w/presence of vaginal bleeding  (Read 8608 times)

Offline Djones007

Risks of HIV w/presence of vaginal bleeding
« on: November 05, 2006, 10:41:52 pm »
Hello Forum Members,
   I am new to this and I have some concerns. I do believe my question is fueled with anxiety because of recent evidence showing that African American women aged 23-34 are at the highest risk of contracting HIV. So forgive me if I seem like an idiot.
  I am African American, I am a women, and I am currently in graduate school. On October 20-21, I had sex a total of two times w/ a male partner. We did use condoms, but after 2-3 minutes of unprotection. (Stupid me)! Anyhow, my vagina was badly irritated and I noticed the presence of pink blood on the toilet paper when I went into the bathroom to urinate. Recently I have begun to get chills, muscle aches, and my temperature ranges from 96-98 degrees. I have lived on the internet, my friends tell me to relax because the use of condoms do lower my risk, but I am caught up in the hype of being an A.A. women, and just scared to death. I realize that long periods of abstinence and improper lubrication can cause an irritated vagina, but can it also increase my risks for HIV?
 I hope to hear from women forum members because your responses about testing, anxiety, and realistic concerns would do wonders for my understanding about sex and STI's.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Risks of HIV w/presence of vaginal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:31:40 am »
D,

First off, people aren't risky, it's what people do that is risky. Unfortunately, unprotected receptive vaginal intercourse IS risky where hiv and other sexually transmitted infections are concerned.

The fact that a condom was being used by the time ejaculation took place does work in your favour, but pre-cum can also be infectious for hiv and other STIs. You MUST make sure a condom is being used before you allow yourself to be penetrated. This is not optional and to do otherwise is to gamble with your health and life. (and did you know that pre-cum can also potentially make you pregnant?)

You would be wise to get a sexual health check up. You can test now for most of the STIs, but hiv and syphilis both share a three month window period before you can be considered conclusively negative.

As the vast majority of people will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, a negative hiv result at the six week point would be an excellent indication of your true status, but would have to be confirmed at the three month point.

I cannot stress enough how important condom use is for you. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can make sure your fella is using them properly. While you're on either of those pages, have a look through the bottom three links in the left-hand column. They discuss ways that you, as a woman, can protect yourself. I recommend the female condom as they are also excellent barriers against hiv infection, and importantly, they give YOU the control over condom use.

You have had a risk and you do need to test. Remember though, it IS cold and flu season and you may simply be coming down with a seasonal bug. Symptoms - or even the lack of symptoms - means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Only testing will reveal your hiv status.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Djones007

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 04:53:36 pm »
Dear Ann,
   Thank you for your prompt response, it was helpful. I am planning to get tested around December because it will be over six weeks weeks. I am just plain scared because I realize just how precious life is and I made a mistake. My conscience tells me instead of freaking out, I need to take full responsibility for my actions and stop looking on the internet for every symptom that pertains to HIV. One health official told me that I am not being realistic about my risks because of my behavior denotes low risk, but not no risk. The guy I was with is the only person I have had sex with for the past year, and my last STI screening was in may 2006. Yet, he and I were separated for seven months, long distance relationship. His last test was in Feb 2005 and even though he has a good heart, sometimes things happen. He claimed that he has been faithful and suffered from the age old myth of Blue Balls. Yet the presence of blood, vaginal irritation, and flu-like symptoms two-weeks later just make me think oh darn this is it.
    I am not here to hassle you Ann, but I just wanted to say thank you and I will let you know the outcome of my results. Thank you to listening to a worry wort and I hope you enjoy this coming holidays.
                                                       Danielle

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:00:13 pm »
Hi Danielle,

You're not hassling me. It would seem as though you might be hassling yourself a bit though - lighten up. I agree with your doc that what happened, all things considered, is lower on the risk scale, but not no risk.

There is the distinct possibility that you were irritated by the condom and/or the lube used. Sometimes the lube that is already on the condom can be an irritant, especially if it contains spermicide. Condoms with spermicide are best avoided. Some people can also be sensitive to latex (I am) and it can feel like the beginning of a thrush infection after you've used one. You can find out if condoms are bothering you by using one on a dildo or similar (like a finger). This way you know that it can only be the condom causing problems and not anything penis related, if you see what I mean. If latex condoms or the lube turn out to be an irritant for you, try polyurethane ones.

Your chance of testing negative is excellent. Keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Djones007

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:31:34 pm »
Dear Ann,
   I promised to keep you posted with my test results. Sure enough you were right, I did test negative for HIV. But, I suffered from a persistant yeast infection for the past three months. The Nurse practitioner sugessted that I do a full STD screening, and a pap smear. The results for the common STDs will not be back for a week, but the twenty minute HIV test was considered definitive.  I was given treatment for the common genital infections and a one-time pill for the yeast.
   I am awaiting the results for my pap and I will search out a clinic that is offering the new HPV vaccine. Enough about me, I just wanted to thank you and let you know that you advice and concern meant alot to me.
         Thank you again
                Danielle

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 09:45:34 am »
Congratulations on the Negative Result.  Positive vibes coming your way for the other Std's!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Djones007

Need the Advice of Ann!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 12:19:58 am »
Dear Ann,
    The last time I wrote you offered me some comforting advice and I hope you would extend the favor again. I just broke up with my boyfriend because he has admitted to cheating on me with another woman. Though he claims that he did use protection, I just don't know. His excuse was that, he is a man and he is incapable of going long intervals without sex, but he expected me as a woman to remain faithful.
      Though we did use protection, it was usually after a couple of minutes of unprotection. He was very rough and he made me bleed. (It was not slight pink blood, it was red and it felt like my vaginal opening had split pretty bad) It was scary, and after learning of his extra curricular activities I am nervous,hurt, and scared. The last time we had sex was on April 13,14 of 2007. I was last tested for all STDs and HIV on January 22, 2007. I realize this topic may seem similar from the last entry, but the difference resides in the fact that I learned that he was unfaithful, that somewhat raises the panic mode.
   From this particular exposure, I was just wondering how high my risks truly are? The only symptoms I have is some serious sinus drainage that is irritating my throat and some aches and pains. Not sure if that can be applied to the stress of a breakup and from constant crying.  I also wanted to let you know that I have gone to my local student center for an annual pap and my nurse did do an STD checkup and she was quite upset with the way I had been treated, yet she said I should rest with the fact that I am taking precautions and that I am better off without him.
  I am no fashion attempting to upset the forum with my questions and I pray that you are not mad with my attempting to gain your advice. I hope my question will be accepted because it has been over 90 days since I have been on the forum.
                                                                                 Danielle

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 08:11:25 am »
Danielle, I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your comments and questions in this thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

As for your concern, it's not quite clear to me if there was (possibly brief) unprotected penetration or not by your former bf. I understand the "rough" part but the other isn't certain from what you have described.

If there was in fact any unprotected penetration, however brief, then you ought to get tested for HIV at 13 weeks past that most recent episode. That's just the cautious thing to do. Then any doubts in your mind will be cleared away.

As for what you are reporting as symptoms, none of them are in any way HIV specific and should not be misinterpreted as such. You should also know for future reference that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the appropriate time can give you that answer.

Despite the emotional wear and tear you've experienced in relation to this breakup and the sex with this guy, I'm willing to say I expect you will come out of this ok. That's just my guess. Of course the test result will give you the real answer.

Good luck with that.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.