Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:11:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 601
Total: 602

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feet Tingling and burning... what do i do?  (Read 8341 times)

Offline egello

• cb
Feet Tingling and burning... what do i do?
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »
anyone experience this? since i did predisone while recovering from PCP, my feet has been tingling,, and now after a month later, my feet burns and my lower legs tingle.

last night, it burned so much that i had hard time going to sleep. it could be enhanced by the testosterone or the hiv meds... arghh... this sucks

i feel like a huge weight is all placed on my feet.

what do you guys all do about this?
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: Feet Tingling and burning... what do i do?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:45:50 pm »
Any chance it could be this?

Peripheral neuropathy

Peripheral neuropathy results from injury to the peripheral nerves in the body. These nerves carry signals between the central nervous system (the brain and spinal column) and the muscles, skin, and internal organs. When peripheral neuropathy first develops, people often report a tingling or prickling in the toes, although it can also start in the fingers. Over time, the tingling gradually spreads up the feet or hands and worsens into a burning, shooting, and/or throbbing pain. People who have severe peripheral neuropathy may experience extreme pain and may have difficulty walking, sometimes requiring the assistance of a cane or wheelchair to move around.

More info at: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1025_6910.shtml

And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:53:18 pm »
Sounds like PN to me. That's how mine started, with tingling on the bottom of my feet, then on top, then numbness on the tops of my feet, then tingling in my lower legs.

So far, that's as far as its gone. Mine improved when I stopped taking the statin my doctor prescribed.

Luckily, I must have caught it before it could progress futher. It still acts up once in a while, but not as bad as it was.

Talk to you doctor about this. There are some treatments being employed that may help.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:56:20 pm »
This definitely sounds like peripheral neuropathy. I don't know if prednisone can cause neuropathy, but there are HIV drugs that definitely do cause it: ddI and d4T (aka Videx and Zerit). Are you on either of these two drugs?

Have you seen your doctor about this? If not, don't delay in seeing him or her. Your doctor can help give you a definite diagnosis and find substitute drugs, if indeed you are taking any that are contributing to the neuropathy. Getting off those drugs as soon as possible will provide relief.

There are a number of medications, such as Neurontin and Elavil, that can provide relief from the pain of neuropathy. They haven't helped me too much, but that's not to say that they won't help you. There's also a drug called Lyrica that was recently approved for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy.

I've had neuropathy for over ten years. It was very bad at first, but it's gotten better over the years. I know how painful this is, and I hope you'll find relief soon.

Allan

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 10:58:44 pm »
Hi ello.

LIke the others have said, it sounds like PN.  I also got it recovering from PCP and starting the meds.  LIke Mark, it only went so far....my feet and that's about it.  IT's there everyday.  The worst time is in the morning when I wake up.  When I get out of bed, I can't walk.  I lean into the wall for support then take my first step.  After that, it's fine.

As far as I can tell, there is really no cure.  <sigh>

robert

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 11:55:21 pm »
i talked to my doctor about it last time i saw him, but he said that the meds i am on currently shouldn't cause that, and i said ok because it was just tingling sensation.

but since yesterday, it became sorta burning and veiny, harmm,,, whats going on with my body,,, those veins are like Borg's (from start track) tubes that run around their body.

btw, i am on

mepron
androgel
truvada
norvir
rayataz
famvir
fluconozole
azithromycin

could it be that i started working out since mondya? somehow making it worse?

is this fatal?

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 01:06:25 am »
Not likely fatal, but you should keep tabs on whether the sensation gets worse, or travels further up your legs. I'm not trying to frighten you, but this was the very sensation that signaled the need to stop taking my first drug coctail. The Zerit caused significant damage. By the time I came off the first coctail, and changed to another, it took several months for the nerve endings to repair.
I can only describe the pain as exquisite.
BE your own advocate, and don't let the doctor blow you off.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 01:40:15 am »
That you can exercse so soon after your PCP says wonders about your own strength.  I seriously doubt your PN has anything to do with going to the gym.  I've got the same symptoms as you and I couldn't exericse for 3 years.

Remember, because of HIV you have a compromised immune system.  You are suspectible to a lot more maladies and PN is one of them.  Just keep your fingers crossed that it will never get worse.  That's what I do.

robert

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 03:06:27 am »
do you think that the combo of hiv meds that i am taking is cauing my PN to heighten?

it all started with predisone

this feels so werid and this really sucks,,

yeah, i konw Robert, the doctor said that i am doing very well. btw, i never get or got cold or any sickness before my thrush, pcp and stomach problems, ALL MY LIFE, well except in my smoking days.

during my pcp induced hospital stay, my oxygen intake was at 50 percent... so thats why they gave me predisone.

my current strength level is very high actually, all feeling sorta unanatural, it must be the testosterone, or all the antibiotic and antiviral has killed off some major gunk in my digestive track because my stool has been contstanly firm, long and hard lately, so i am digesting all the food i am taking in fully. I do get these werid extreme fatigue, but right away something else kicks in in my system and gives me this burst of energy. Yeah, its werid.

Regarding working, same thing, as soon as I relax when I start getting bit tired, i get another burst of energy.

I am sorta getting addicted to it almost. This is me who didn't take even advil before I got ill.

Anyways, I am rambling because i am feeling so weird lately, almost too good that its bad? Should I be in bed all sick because thats what i was realy expecting.

oh well

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 07:00:51 am »
Predisone is a steroid that is used to open air passageways, as well as many other things such as treating Bells Palsy.  I would do what the others have suggested and talk to the doctor about what could be causing your PN symptoms.  Speaking second-hand about this, but I watched my late husband go through excruciating pain... so don't let this get too far.  Research your current cocktail and see if any of those could be a possible factor.

I hope you find the cause soon, and I hope it gets better for you.

Be well.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 08:06:58 am »
Hello Egello,

When My PN started, the doctor sent me to a neurologist, for a Electromyography & nerve conduction study. that was back in 2004.

NERVE CONDUCTION STUDIES

This is a test of the peripheral nerves in the arms legs and face to determine nerve damage, pinched nerves, entrapped nerves, peripheral neuropathies, etc.

The procedure I had took approx. 30 to 40 minutes. Recording electrodes are placed on your skin and the technician uses a handheld device, to shock the nerve.  The shocks begin at a light level, and are gradually increased to a minimum appropriate level of stimulation. All main sensory and motor nerves are tested.

After the test, they will inform you if some nerve damage has occurred. It was not all that uncomfortable for me to take this test. My PN, was very painful back in early 2004. I still  have some uncomfortable days, but most of the time it is somewhat tolerable. I still live with it everyday, but I am not currently taking anything for it.

I would assume that your doctor, should probably refer you to a neurologist, so that the test I listed above can be done.

What are your current numbers Egello ? CD-4 count, Viral load ?

As Robert mentioned: "You are suspectible to a lot more maladies and PN is one of them.  Just keep your fingers crossed that it will never get worse.  That's what I do."

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 09:56:38 pm »
I agree with what the others have told you.   I had these symptoms off and on for a couple months and I was nearly certain I had PN.   But, then it faded away.

I wasn't horrible in my situation, more anoying.  I didn't bother looking into it further, but I'd fractured one foot years ago and the other one was severely sprained a year ago.   The sprain was actually worse than the break.

Anyways, I wondered if it was likely I'd had some nerve damage from those previous injuries.   I was newly diagnosed when I had these symptoms of burning and tingling feet, especially at nite when I was trying to get to sleep.   I had a lot of symptoms when I went through that seroconversion and my system was fairly run down at the time.

I can't answer your med question, but I can tell ya my symtoms went away after I started feeling more myself.   My doctor said the symtoms I describe sounded to him like PN, but because I was so recently diag. he didn't feel it was HIV related.

Anyways, I know it kind of freaked me out at the time, but gone now so I'm not gona worry bout it.

On a semi related topic, my mom claims that the Fish Oil she's taking helped her arthritis in her feet and legs.   I've been sort of taking it here and there so anyone have any thoughts on that?

Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Londonguy

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 10:43:35 am »
Ah crap I'm worried.  My right foot is tingling after 3 days on my meds.  Am I worrying too soon about PN?  At first I thought I had pins and needles in my foot but it lasted for about half an hour.  Then it went away, now a few hours later it's tingling again.  It's not painful, just annoying.  I read the 3TC in Kivexa can sometimes cause this.  I'm trying not to get too concerned but I take it this is something I should be keeping an eye on?  And it was all going so well.... :-\

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 12:20:22 pm »
Hey London,

I'm not on meds, but pehaps others might best answer your med related questions.

I had this problem over a month and a half out of the blue.    I guess PN is something common in people with HIV.   

I think there are some newer drugs out now that are supposed to actually work at repairing nerve damage.   I was gona do a clinical trial for one, but then it just vanished.

I wouldn't panic over it, but would definitely check in with your doc. to see if that's a common side effect and perhaps make and apt. with a neurologist to check it out if it continues.

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 12:28:45 pm »
I had problems walking because I felt my feet numb in November and my knees also hurt alot. It lasted for almost a month and thought it was going to be permanent. At that time I didn't know I was poz but that is the reason why I decided to get tested. The pain and numbness went away on it's own. I started to eat healthier and took my multivitamains in November so maybe that helps.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline shepsmom

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 02:44:02 pm »
Are you a diabetic? Prednisone and/or cortsone can cause a spike in blood sugar levels. Maybe you have adult onset diabetes. Have your sugar checked asap.

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 02:58:20 pm »
i am not diabetic and once the testosterone shot level went out of my system, the food pain isn't as strong.

i think predisone in Dec. must have damaged some nerves because the foot tingling / pain really started back then...

Offline Nico

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 08:37:45 pm »
Egello,
Suggest you see the doc and a neurologist for tests.  I got PN on '03 taking D4t (Zerit).  My feet and fingers burned like when your leg or arm falls asleep, but it was all the time. 

My doc pulled me off it, although it was kicking my HIV, and changed me over to Trizivir/Norvir/Reyataz.  I still have problems 3 1/2 years later.  I take hydrocodone when needed and the least amount necessary.  I was offered this week to apply to a clinical study for PN. 

Well, there is quite a bit of paperwork and the jist is applying Capsasian patches to the affected areas.  That is the short version.  I am not sure after reading all the fine print, I will do it, but the pain is not fun as you know. 

See if your doc will prescribe a light narcotic to help take the edge off.  I know how this feels and even worse when I travel and walk Hartfields Airport each week.

Hope you feel better.

Roger
Poz since 1990.

Offline shepsmom

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 06:02:51 pm »
Just read about a study in todays paper-smoking pot 3 times a day made the control groups pn better ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.