Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Sleep problems

(1/1)

mudman8:
Hi all, I used to have no problems sleeping in my 30-40s but now I can't even nap during the day, I feel like I have a caffein buzz I just can't drop into sleep anymore.  I drink decaf coffee only in the morning so it's not that. I think it's a combination of age and my meds, which are now Kaletra and Truvada, but I had this problem for the last 8 years on the cocktails.

I've read two books on sleep one scientific and the other a personal account of insomnia called Sleep Demons by a gay man.  Age does things to your system and we sleep less the older we get. When it was really bad I got between 2 and 4 hours sleep MAX. it was a nightmare, i felt miserable many days.  I had taken Zyprexa which got me 8 hours sleep, but also gained 30 pounds which I didn't like.Thru my new psych Dr.  I dropped that becasue I wasn't hearing voices or seeing things, I changed from Wellbutrin to Remeron and take  another called Buspar which makes me fuzzy enough to get to sleep but I usually wake after 4-5 hours.

then my father noted in a health newsletter a new natural pill with Valerian 400mg, Hops 30mg, wild lettuce 28mg and Melatonin 1 mg. I'd taken Melatonin before but this comibination helps me get about 6-8 hours of sleep, but I still wake feeling unrested and still can't drop off for a nap during the day. Usually I wake about 4 or 5 am and just doze off and on til morning.

One friend had to go off all drugs for 2 years and said that a  week after he was off drugs he had teh best sleep possible, really woke rested. I long for that feeling as I used to be a champion napper, lay down and 5 minutes I dropped off for half an hour and pop awake rested, but I was also 30 years old and worked hard in landscaping. My older sister also has troubles sleeping too so it might be herediatry.

What are your experiences or problems/solutions? ::)

glenn

Miss Philicia:
I've had varying issues with insomnia from around '00 through a couple years ago.  (fyi: I've been on HIV meds for 14 years) and yes, I'd have to say I found Remeron most helpful, even though the sleep thing is only a beneficial side effect of this anti-depressant (it's also good for keeping weight on).  I stopped taking Remeron about a year ago though and I'm sleeping fairly well now, though it can vary.  I also did a big switch in my HIV meds at the time too so I have no way of saying what is doing what. 

It's probably a combination of a lot of factors:  age, HIV, meds, family history... but overall I'd say it has more to do with anxiety and depression issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version