Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us  (Read 2761 times)

Offline tednlou2

Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:51:01 am »
Interesting read.  The author was on This Week, this morning.  He said if we LOWERED the Medicare eligibility age, instead of raising it, we would save billions.  Medicare is very efficient, as we know.  If they could negotiate drug prices, durable medical equipment, and diabetes testing equipment, they would be more efficient.  He said allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices would save over $120 billion over ten years.  Medicare processes a claim for 80-90 cents, while private insurance spends up to $25 to process a claim.

We've all seen the outrageous prices for Acetominophen and routine labs.  I remember going through physical therapy, after back surgery.  They charged me $25 to put a reusable ice pack on me.  I could buy several ice packs for that.  They charged that each time. 

In the hospital, I had two infectious disease docs pop in for less than 5 mins.  They just said everything will be fine and people go on to live long lives with HIV.  They both charged nearly $250 for that.  I could have done without their visit.  They didn't even consult with the attending doc, so that is how the mono-therapy ordeal happened.  If they had done their jobs, that should not have happened.  I do wonder how much money these consulting docs make nationwide, by just making an appearance, and not providing actual medical care.  Of course, there is much more involved than ice packs and consulting docs. 

http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/20/bitter-pill-why-medical-bills-are-killing-us/

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:14:47 am »

In the hospital, I had two infectious disease docs pop in for less than 5 mins.  They just said everything will be fine and people go on to live long lives with HIV.  They both charged nearly $250 for that.  I could have done without their visit. 

I saw this happen over and over while mom was in the hospital. She had  3 lead docs, and often they would just pop in for literally 1 minute to ask how she was feeling and tell her they would see her tomorrow. At first I thought what a great friendly, attentive doctor. But then when I started getting the bills in I noticed that they were charging her for a "limited hospital visit" or something like that, to the tune of $150 (just to ask how she was feeling) Sometimes this would happen twice a day. Occasionally they would put a stethoscope to her chest for 30 seconds and then walk out and charge $250 for "comprehensive hospital visit".

But When I looked at the bills I noticed that even though the doc was charging these amounts moms medicare would only pay a fraction of it...say $25-50, and I also noticed that Medicare was disallowing alot of other charges. So for Medicare patients I wonder if these presumably un-needed visits are a way for doctors to make up, or pad,  for what Medicare is disallowing on other procedures.  I'm sure this is commonplace in the Medical industry.

And don't even get me started on the "in hospital" Tylenol. Mom could have saved Medicare thousands of dollars if only they had let us bring in our own Tylenol.

-W

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:06:39 pm »
I saw the author on Daily Show.  Very interesting...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:28:25 pm »
during the recent SC Task Force Advocacy Day, we had a Senator throw this kind of information up in our faces. He wanted to know why we were asking the state to continue funding $4.3 million to ADAP yearly. He explained that a small "non-profit" hospital in our area had made over $684 million dollars profit last year. He wondered why we would ask the government for ADAP funding when this one small local hospital could spend .6% of it's profit and cover ADAP for the entire state.

I responded that if the State put in place some regulations that stopped a non-profit hospital from being able to accrue nearly 3/quarters of a billion dollars profit in a year, taking that money out of circulation, then perhaps South Carolinians would have enough money in their pockets to pay for their own medications and we wouldn't have to be asking for the Senator's help.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:45 pm »
during the recent SC Task Force Advocacy Day, we had a Senator throw this kind of information up in our faces. He wanted to know why we were asking the state to continue funding $4.3 million to ADAP yearly. He explained that a small "non-profit" hospital in our area had made over $684 million dollars profit last year. He wondered why we would ask the government for ADAP funding when this one small local hospital could spend .6% of it's profit and cover ADAP for the entire state.

I responded that if the State put in place some regulations that stopped a non-profit hospital from being able to accrue nearly 3/quarters of a billion dollars profit in a year, taking that money out of circulation, then perhaps South Carolinians would have enough money in their pockets to pay for their own medications and we wouldn't have to be asking for the Senator's help.

What kind of dimwit logic is that?  Jesus Christ Almighty. Is he Republican? Hillary's category - those who refuse to live in a fact-based world....?

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:05 pm »
Jesus Christ Almighty. Is he Republican?
Of course! This is South Carolina where most state legislators are, have been, and probably forever will be Republican. Oh! and Tea Party Republican to boot. ;)

on a national level I could mention that Jim Demint (Tea party leader), Lindsey Graham (I wish someone would out him already, so the Rethugs would disown him), Joe Wilson ("you lie" Obama), Strum Thurmond, Tim Scott (the most rare politician of all - a 'black' South Carolina Republican) and Mark Sanford (the governor missing in Argentina, not "hiking") come from SC, so it shouldn't be a surprise that our state government is filled with crazy people too.

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.