Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:42:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 654
Total: 656

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: You Don't Look Like My Pill...  (Read 3834 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
You Don't Look Like My Pill...
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:41:21 am »

Good article linked below about changes in pill shape and color and general impact on adherence, treatment, and side effects.

This article resonates with me as a few years ago my pharmacy made an error with my HIV medication prescription as I saw that the pills looked different.  I took them back and the pharmacy made the correction.

Often times, however, generics replace brand names and the pills look different. Dosage changes can also be a factor.

I have noticed enhanced labeling now as there is a description on the pill bottle that lists the name of the medication, what shape (e.g., oblong, round) and color (e.g., white, blue) the pill should be and notes the markings (e.g., numbers, letters) on the pill to help confirm that you have the correct prescription.

Article Link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/if-color-or-shape-changes-patients-more-likely-to-stop-taking-much-needed-drugs/2014/07/14/60e687f4-0b8c-11e4-8341-b8072b1e7348_story.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:00:50 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline OneTampa

Re: You Don't Look Like My Pill...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:53:57 pm »
Got my refill at CVS yesterday for Lamivudine (Epivir) and noticed a different bottle, pill color, shape and imprint for the generic.  It is back to white and oval shape. The imprint is 67 Y.

The label confirmed the shape, color and imprint listing as being Lamivudine and the new manufacturer as Arobindo Pharma Limited, INDIA for Arobindo Pharma USA, Inc out of Dayton, NJ

The previous generic I used for several years up to last month was a different bottle with grey diamond shaped pills and APO and LMV 300 imprints.

The previous pill manufacturer was Apotex, Inc. out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

This prompted me to do some checking and I found these US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) quality control report links:

FDA to Arobindo Warning Letter:

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm256861.htm

FDA to Apotex Warning Letter:

http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcementactions/warningletters/2013/ucm344476.htm

Although I am OK, according to my lab reports and I feel fine, all this does give me pause.

::)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 03:46:53 am »
We have 3tc generics available ,here, but different maker
I am considering it
Can you get 3tc 300mg in just one pill?
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:05:53 am »
We have 3tc generics available ,here, but different maker
I am considering it
Can you get 3tc 300mg in just one pill?

Yes Eric, you can get it in one 300mg pill.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:43 am »
Here we can get 300 mg 1 pill or 150 mg, thus 2 pills to make 300 mg

1 x 300 mg is slightly cheaper than 2 x 150 mg.
Our management guidelines say:
2 x 150 mg once daily, but does not mention 1 x 300 mg at all ...
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.