Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:13:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 613
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Canada Generic HIV Meds?  (Read 5698 times)

Offline gregftl

• Standard
Canada Generic HIV Meds?
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:25:23 pm »
Was wondering if anyone on the boards gets their HIV meds thru Canada as generic? And if so what is your experience with the meds and the ordering process online. The reason I'm asking is next month I'm probably going to be losing out on my ADAP egligibility due to my income. Yet i cant afford 1200/month to pay for combivir and viramune. I found a site online with good reviews where i can get both drugs for 220/month. And I know it's legal to transport up to 3 months of prescription medications from Canada as long as u have a prescription for it. So I'm in the middle of the order process and just waiting for my doctor to fax the canada website my prescriptions. The site is candrugstore.com. Sorry if i'm now allowed to post websites but I wanted people to take a look and tell me what they think. Just wanting some feedback and thoughts on what I'm doing. I really have no choice. I dont qualify either for the drug companies patient assistance programs.

Greg

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Canada Generic HIV Meds?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:05:26 pm »
Hey Greg,

Have you explored using Ryan White funds for your HIV meds?  Both Michigan and Florida, allowed me to use Ryan White for drugs, even though I did not qualify for ADAP.

edited to add: I checked the website and the prices just don't seem like they can be real, or the source of the drugs may be suspect.  My Viramune, through Quebec is valued at $179.00 CAN each month and that is for the patented drug, not a generic.  If you want to try them, you should find a lab that could test the meds and tell you what they really are.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:27:05 pm by killfoile »

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:28:20 pm »
Yah i used to get my drugs thru Ryan White but they cut their budget down here in Florida and no longer allow people over income to be put into Ryan White to get their meds. It's ADAP or nothing.  And yah the prices seem unreal but i've checked a ton of different Canada websites and the prices are just about the same or a bit more. I asked my doctor about 8 months ago if i were every to get denied my meds thru the state programs if they would let me do generic thru Canada....and he said yes. He also said the generics are just as good as the brand. Plus I notice my brand name Combivir is manufactured in the UK and my boyfriend's hiv brand name meds (kaletra and truvada) are manufactured in Germany so it's not like getting drugs from overseas is a new thing. Even the brand names ones are made out of the country. Plus the generics are what we give the people in Africa thru our aid relief programs. The site got good reviews. The is a site www.pharmacychecker.com/onlinepharmacyratings.asp

Update: I just got off the phone with candrugstore and my doctor approved my prescription. The company that makes the generics is called Cipla, cipla.com,  and they are based in India. I only ordered 1 month just to see how long it takes to get and what they look like when i get them. Takes 2 weeks for delivery.

Greg
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:51:09 pm by gregftl »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:15:39 pm »
Maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think Canada produces any "generic" HIV drugs. They respect the same patents as the USA.
So that drug store is supplying you with drugs produced in India.
Search that topic here in the forums, it has been addressed before.
Just dont want you thinking you are going to get "canadian" HAART for 220 bucks a month.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:33 am »
Yah I know that. Re-read my last message under the "update" part Ii know they are in India the girl that processed my order at candrugstore said that my generics are made in India by a company named Cipla. They have a site at cipla.com. But even brand names are sometimes made outside the US even though the company is based in the US. Who cares as long as they work

Here is some info on the company, Cipla that makes the generics from wikipedia. The company is approved by both the World Health Organization and by the FDA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipla
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:34:37 am by gregftl »

Offline randym431

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 02:54:52 am »
This breaks my heart hearing folks in the USA have to fight for meds due to costs.
Totally unacceptable.
If you have time, and haven't already, write your senators and maybe a few letters to the editor
of your local newspaper. I don't want to ask what your income is... But just because they think you have $1200 extra a month to spend on meds is ridiculous. Like one doesn't need food and housing too.
I truly hope the Canada meds work out for you. No doubt, if the republicans get their way and kill reform, Canada meds will come to a halt soon after.
And they say America has the best healthcare in the world.... Right...    >:(
(hope Im not out of line) Take care. We're listening.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:01 pm »
Yah I was wondering if health care reform is passed and it's universal ....and they have to take people with pre-exisiting conditions.............would they do away with ryan white and adap programs I wonder? I, for one, would gladly pay for health insurance if i could get it instead of going in every 6months to the county health department and practically have to beg them for my life. That's ok I'll be getting my meds from Canada soon. So that at least gives me peace. I've read nothing but good reviews on the company that makes my meds (Cipla) The fact the WHO approves of them is big for me.

Offline GodSon83

• El hijo del capitán Trueno tenía pinta de raro
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 03:38:48 am »
yeah, very sad this happen in USA.

I hope all poz folks, have free drugs.

i think in Mexico, are free.

but well, not for sure.

Im no in therapy stil.

But we need to do our best.
In each country, to make us a better world,
with or with out HIv,

for all aour communitie.

Hugs. 8)
Xo-Xo
Jun 08  - (-)
Jul 08   - (+)
Dic 08 - CD4:921
May 09- CD4: 1,025   CV: 8,233
Dic 09 - CD4:    911   CV: 5,160
May 10- CD4: 1,054  CV: 6,510
Sep 10- CD4:     923  CV: 1,832
Mar 11- CD4:     508  CV:  1,489
Jul   11- CD4:  1,064  CV:    558
Nov 11- CD4:  1,945  CV:    795
Abr  12- CD4:    859  CV:    401  ´Still no meds´

I like i feel! :)

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 03:23:32 am »
Well I went ahead and placed my order for my generic combivir and viramune from candrugstore.com. They are made by Cipla. Candrugstore requires a prescription from my doctor and they called him and my doc approved it and even gave me 5 refills on it. I called my doctor just to confirm candrugstore actually called him and spoke with him and he said they did. I should be getting the meds in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck on them. Cipla is supposed to be a very good drug company. My doc attends alot of conferences around the world on AIDS research and he absolutely said he has heard good things about Cipla and had no objections in regards to me taking their generics.

Greg

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 02:23:51 pm »
The following post is not intended to promote any particular prescription practice. Always ask your doctor.

Now, that have been said, in my country, the global health care system cannot afford brand meds. So I have been taking cipla products for more than a year (Efavirenz+Combivir), and they have worked as a  charm. (I have been on therapy for 3 years now)

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:47:09 am »
Hey latinalexander, the cipla version of combivir is called duovir isnt it?

greg

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:08 pm »
hi Greg:

Yes mine is called cipladuovir , manufactured by CIPLA LTD, Mumbai Center Mumbai 400 008 India.
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 08:17:18 am »
This is great information.  Thanks for posting.  I'm in the U.S. and both me and my hubby and I currently have insurance, but with the economy the way it is we definitely want a plan B we can count on. 

I've been following the progress of the health care reform here, and though it seems promising that everyone will have insurance, it is looking more and more like the drugs we need will still be sky high.  The Eshoo Amendment will apparently be a part of the health care bill, and that allows the pharmaceutical companies the right to keep the patents on these drugs pretty much forever.  We are both looking at starting our own businesses in the future, so even if we have some sort of individual insurance, it will likely have a 20% copay and that could be out of our reach.

It really makes me mad that these drug companies are able to charge these exorbitant prices for these drugs.  I would be in support of them having some sort of extended patent to encourage them to find new drugs, but the "evergreening" provision to me is ridiculous.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 06:45:55 pm »
This is great information.  Thanks for posting.  I'm in the U.S. and both me and my hubby and I currently have insurance, but with the economy the way it is we definitely want a plan B we can count on. 

I've been following the progress of the health care reform here, and though it seems promising that everyone will have insurance, it is looking more and more like the drugs we need will still be sky high.  The Eshoo Amendment will apparently be a part of the health care bill, and that allows the pharmaceutical companies the right to keep the patents on these drugs pretty much forever.  We are both looking at starting our own businesses in the future, so even if we have some sort of individual insurance, it will likely have a 20% copay and that could be out of our reach.

It really makes me mad that these drug companies are able to charge these exorbitant prices for these drugs.  I would be in support of them having some sort of extended patent to encourage them to find new drugs, but the "evergreening" provision to me is ridiculous.

Note, a lot of current drugs will go generic in the next few years.  I posted a list over here  http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=29596.msg363353#msg363353

And the Eshoo amendment is actually progress compared to current law.  It does not change the process of drugs becoming generic for the drugs we use for HIV today.  Instead it goes about setting up a process for biologics.  Biologics are different from drugs -- they are derived from living cells, rather than by putting together chemicals.  Under current law, the FDA has no easy way for companies who manufacture similar biologics to get approval for their use based on the testing that applied to the original biologic.  Instead the similar biologic has to go all the way through the (expensive) process of proving the treatment safe and effective from scratch.  The Eshoo amendment sets up a process for approval of biosimilar drugs that rely on the testing done by the original biologic -- similar to the generic approval process for drugs.  There was some fighting back and forth over how long the original biologic should get exclusive rights, and the Eshoo amendment has a relatively long period of 12 years versus other proposals of  5 years (Waxman) or 7 years (Obama Administration).  But 12 years is still  a big improvement over the current law.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 10:10:24 am »
Great information.  Thanks!
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.