Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:39:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 143
Total: 144

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trying to start Meds  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Leo114

Trying to start Meds
« on: December 18, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »
I was suppose to start Atripla and then I received a call from the doc telling my that I was resistant.  I saw the doc today and she told me maybe complera or some other combination.   I'm in the mil, and she wants to refer me to a civilian doctor closer to where I live since I drive a few hours to see her. That is understandable.  However, i'm irritated because I have to start the process over again and I won't be able to start meds until January.  I'm also nervous because of the resistance to Atripla.  It was the med with least side of effects.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Trying to start Meds
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:47:21 pm »
I was suppose to start Atripla and then I received a call from the doc telling my that I was resistant.  I saw the doc today and she told me maybe complera or some other combination.   I'm in the mil, and she wants to refer me to a civilian doctor closer to where I live since I drive a few hours to see her. That is understandable.  However, i'm irritated because I have to start the process over again and I won't be able to start meds until January.  I'm also nervous because of the resistance to Atripla.  It was the med with least side of effects.

From what I understand, Complera has fewer side effects than Atripla.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:12 am »
It was the med with least side of effects.
that's not really true. It has little to do with the meds and everything to do with You - well your body chemistry at least.

According to the published data on the meds, all meds have been known to produce side effects - but within less than 10% (and often less than 4%) of the patients who took those meds. So there's no way to say that one regimen is that much inherently "better" than another one. (I would bet that whoever told you that Atripla had the least amount of side effects has never even taken HIV meds. ;D LOL)

It depends mainly on how YOUR body reacts to the med. For example, the Sustiva in the Atripla produced horrible nausea and unrelenting dizziness and mental issues for me (so I'm pleased as punch to have resistance to it! LOL); while Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada has given me no side effects at all and has me feeling better than I ever have in 18 yrs of meds. Of course, plenty of other people take Atripla with no issues, and Reyataz has produced jaundice and bad liver problems in many people who then had to quit taking it.

You should work on changing your thoughts to think more positively about your situation. IF you had taken the Atripla it wouldn't have done anything to stop the HIV and very well could have produced some bad side effects. And clearly you're not "starting the process over again", as you never started taking meds in the first place. LOL Besides HIV meds are for life, once you start, so you might as well start with something that'll work against the HIV. (who knows? You could have side effects and have to change several times to really get the "right" combo :o - but let's hope you're in the 96% that don't have side effects ;) )

Hang in there, get a combo that works, and keep on moving forward. That's a great way to deal with this kind of situation. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Leo114

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:03 am »
Thanks guys.  I understand what you all are saying. I think i'm a little nervous because I have resistance.  That means that I have less meds to use to fight this disease.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:57 am »
That means that I have less meds to use to fight this disease.
have you seen all the meds on this page? There are plenty of options.

Personally I've been through 18 or so meds in the 18 yrs I've been taking meds; but you must remember a lot of those were the earliest meds that had issues. I finally found the right combo and I've been on it for nearly 10 yrs.

See the object is to get ONE good regimen that works against your HIV and that you tolerate, and theoretically you could possibly stay on that regimen for the rest of your life. As long as you stay adherent to your regimen, you should not need another regimen for decades and decades. You might not even have to ever switch again. Although I'm betting within the next 30 yrs. the meds will improve even more and you will eventually switch to something better. ;) It's really rather useless, at this time, to waste your energy worrying about not being able to take Atripla. ;)

btw you're probably resistance to only one of the meds in Atripla (which is a 3 med combo pill). You should check with your doctor to find out exactly what it is that you have resistance to - and you have that resistance because the HIV that was passed to you had already developed the resistance.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:39:04 am »
hmm, maybe you should be glad you're not going to be taking Atripla after all
(long term memory issues!)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:27:47 pm »
If your doctor already knows your resistance profile, they should have already been able to tell what other combos are available.

I have severe resistance issues and am on my last combo available.  Kinda weird that after all these decades, this last one causes no side affects.  Intelence, Isentress and Truvada.

Best wishes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Leo114

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 02:18:28 pm »
Thanks guys.  I hope all is going well for you all. Happy Holidays.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.