Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:54:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 366
Total: 367

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Defense Description from NATROL  (Read 7495 times)

Offline hades01

My Defense Description from NATROL
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:33:35 pm »
Hi everyone TGIF!   :) ;) :D ;D
I was hoping to get your advice regarding this product. I am on atripla and i have seen improvement in my CD count but little more help to my immune system wont hurt right?
what do you think?

thanks

We start with ImmunEnhancer Arabinogalactan, a larch tree extract. Research suggests this natural compound supports the activity of macrophages (white blood cells). Then we add vitamin C, a tried and true nutrient important for immune function, and extracts from cranberry and papaya.

Natrol My Defense is a comprehensive formula that not only supports the immune system but also increases healthy gut microflora This formula promotes a healthy immune system by supporting the function of important white blood cells, protecting against cellular damage, and introducing a beneficial enzyme. It also contains a concentrated form of one of the polysaccharides that contribute to immune enhancement.

Supplement Facts 
Serving Size:3 caps
Servings per Container: 25 

Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
Vitamin C 60mg 100
Arabinogalactan 1.5g †
Maitake Extract 50mg †
Cranberry Juice Powder 250mg †
Astragalus Powder (root) 100mg †
Papain 100mg †

** Percent Daily Value is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
† Daily Value not established. 
Eduardo Cabrera
"Life will never give me what i want, only what is best for me"
08-08-2008 HIV+ (What a day)
08-14-2008 VL 105K   CD4 199 (Pretified and hopeless)
11-14-2008 Started Atripla  and no side effects at all yet
Lab Results 12-31-2008 VL 220 CD4 189
Lab Results 03-31-2009 VL undetectable CD4 308
Lab Results 06-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 274
Lab Results 09-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 410
Lab Results 10-06-2010 VL Undetectable & CD4 514 %34

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: My Defense Description from NATROL
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:50:13 pm »
Sounds like a good way to throw some money away. This kind of stuff isn't proven to do diddly-squat, but if you want to try it, just let your doctor know first.

I'm moving this to the Nutrition forum, as that is the forum to discuss supplements.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hades01

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:54:38 pm »
Thank you!!!!
Eduardo Cabrera

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:41:53 am »
Thank you!!!!

Well, to give a slightly more detailed answer ...

I never heard of arabinogalactan . I'll have to research that one.

There have been some studies on maitake that are not very conclusive about anti-HIV activity. Basically, there is some in vitro activity, but nothing proven in vivo (in people).

The astragalus had some recent news about anti-HIV activity. Again, in vitro only. There are no studies of it in people. I have been taking it for a few months, but at higher doses (1g per day). I'm not sure if it's contributing to my good numbers or not.

So yes, given this, potentially you may be throwing some money away. It's possible that some of the in vitro anti-HIV activity exists in vivo too, but there is not enough research to say to which extent.

Offline hades01

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:56:22 pm »
Thank you!
Your numbers are great considering that you are not n meds!  ;)
Eduardo Cabrera

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:17 pm »
We start with ImmunEnhancer Arabinogalactan, a larch tree extract. Research suggests this natural compound supports the activity of macrophages (white blood cells). Then we add vitamin C, a tried and true nutrient important for immune function, and extracts from cranberry and papaya.

Natrol My Defense is a comprehensive formula that not only supports the immune system......

Hi
When one copies into posts words that are not one's own, as here from the (?) manufacturer's product description, one should set off the text somehow - give a link, quotation marks, different color, etc.

Just my opinion, but makes it easier and clearer for everyone to understand what is a poster's text and what isn't, so we can respond accordingly.

I'm with Ann. Run this by your doctor, or perhaps a nutritionist with HIV treatment experience, or an herbalist with HIV treatment experience who works in complement with M.D.'s, and see what response you get. 

I'm all for complementary and alternative therapies but we want to make informed choices and not throw our money away.  Correct?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:34:27 pm »
Thank you!
Your numbers are great considering that you are not n meds!  ;)

Thanks. Sometimes I wish I was just this set of numbers, because my great numbers don't prevent me from getting sick :(

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.