Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:46:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 619
Total: 619

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm now officially a "Foster Mum" (now with pig pictures for Rocky)  (Read 7692 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
To goats that is.... :D

I approached the RSPCA a while back about volunteer work, they got back to me just before I went to Montreal and came out to inspect my little hobby farm..and I passed with flying colors, they were very happy at how healthy and happy my animals were and how clean their "living quarters" were...so all the hard work has paid off.

I have will two (one is being brought in today)..I get to see them before just to make sure I will be able to cope with them, I told the RSPCA that I couldn't really cope with sick goats, because it takes up so much time and I don't want to take that time away from my own animals..so I take in those who have been abandoned and neglected.

All I have to do is clean them up, feed them and get them back to a healthy state so a good new home can be found for them.

It makes me so angry the way some people treat their animals, the one coming in today can hardly walk his hoofs are so over grown and he is finding it hard to stand let alone walk..and he is so thin...but he is not sick just a very sorry sight at the moment.

I do my own goats hoofs every six weeks (they are due to be done tomorrow) but I can do them all today when the little one arrrives..as for the other one I have..well we are just waiting for the RSPCA to get him a new home..he is 100% better than he was when I first got him.

I have told them I can only cope with 4 at a time...and to all those who know about goats will understand why...my 4 give me enough work to do and are always demanding attention... :D...and it's just as well my Alpacas don't mind sharing their space with the goats.

OK..I promise no more animal stories for a while...but I will keep you all up dated on my Mum Meg (my only female Alpaca)..but she is not due her baby until Feb...so I'm letting you all off the hook until then.. ;)

Thanks for listening to my stories.

Hugs
Jan :-*

« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:07:34 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Basquo

Re: I'm now officially a "Foster Mum"
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:00:25 pm »
I do my own goats hoofs every six weeks (they are due to be done tomorrow) but I can do them all today when the little one arrrives..

Well you'd better get to work; it's already Thursday down there!

Seriously, though, keep Jan's Animal Planet stories coming!  Nothing warms me more than hearing about lambs snuggling on the couch...well, maybe a nice brandy, but I've no one to share it with!

If you had a reality show about your farm, what would you call it?  Answer me only after those hooves are done!

Offline Nadine

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 08:08:38 pm »
Jan...you are an angel!

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:00:52 pm »
I do my own goats hoofs every six weeks!!!

WTF - I did not know you had goat hoofs for feet Jan  :o ;D, but you are a nanny now, aren't you?  :D

Keep up the good work.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:22:44 pm »
BAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAAAAD, fearless, BAAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAAAAAD!!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 09:36:50 pm »
Jan, I just wanted to add, please be careful with the goats if they have horns!  We had a barnyard at my kindergarten and the most friendly, most affectionate billy goat strode up to my teacher one day and rubbed his head against her thigh, and sliced it right open! She went to hospital and he went to live on a real farm... :P

also a funny story, my granddad once brought a Barbados nanny to our house to donate it to the kindergarten barnyard.  We let her loose in the courtyard for a day, then the next day when it came time to load her up to take her to my school, she had a wild kicking fit and literally her bleating sounded like a screaming child!  The snobby neighbors came running out clutching the fists to their chests because they thought one of their children was being attacked.  They didn't like my commentary that they never came outside when their own kids fell off a bike but I was forgiven by my family because 1) no one liked them 2) it was true and 3) I was about 5.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 10:34:29 pm »
Hi Jan,

That town struck gold when you and your husband moved in.  I can't believe that you even have the time and energy to take on more animals with all that you do!  What a sweet thing to do.

But do keep the stories coming.  I rather like hearing about the hobby farm and certainly can't wait until Feb. for more updates!   >:(

So will the Alpaca's be okay with all the goats once the baby comes or will you need to separate them...I can imagine a mom being quite territorial
(and goats being quite inquisitive), once a baby Alpaca is in the picture?

Actually I hope a lot of folks who are newly diagnosed get a whif of what you are doing.  I think it says a lot for someone relatively recently diagnosed to be doing so much...serves as hope that life isn't over and done with once you get back that positive test result.

Cliff

P.S.- As usual I now have to go and do a Google search after reading one of your Hobby farm notes, so that I can learn more about animals.  I had no idea goats had hoofs and that they needed work done on them regularly.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 12:12:24 am »
Jan,

You are amazing!!!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 02:32:40 am »
:D :D..@ Steve...I put the "goats feet" down to stilettos that were way too high to walk in, and way too tight, but very fashionable at the time (the 60's)..  and you thought I was sensible, I ended up with "goats feet" because I wanted to be in fashion..and the pointy toed shoes didn't help either... ;)

Basquo...Goats all done and dusted...I was advised by some folk to have the horns taken off, but I refused to do it..goats have horns, they are born with them I didn't see the need to change them...they are very well behaved, they love to play and use me as a climbing frame but I'm always aware of the horns and I'm very careful..goats can be very stubborn and if they don't want to get into the car then you have to drag them kicking and screaming, and as you found out they can be very vocal.... :D..as for a reality show, I have no idea..any suggestions... ;)

Cliff...When the baby is born we will separate Mum, baby and a wether for company for several weeks so mum and baby have time to bond, and also Mum will become very protective and if the goats get too close when she is feeding she may bite.
I think keeping busy, if you can, and doing something you love helps to keep the stress of HIV at bay...that works for me anyway, wether you are looking after animals, watching them play or just snuggling up to them they have a very calming way about them that just makes you feel good...being HIV+ doesn't have to be all gloom and doom if you have the right attitude.

Nadine and Teresa...thank you so much for my Roses..and for Silvester's little boy.

Hugs to you all

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 05:50:37 am »
Now I feel a bit bad about having to get the exterminator to deal with the rabbits that are currently infesting my yard.

Only a bit though. ;)

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 06:33:48 am »
Hi Matty

I can understand your problem, although I don't have any problems with rabbits here on the property I know that many farmers are having huge problems with them...they are getting out of control again..and as much as I hate to admit it I can see why they go to such drastic meaures to get rid of them, the devastation on some farm lands is massive.

Even feeling a "little" bit bad Matty is good... ;)

Hugs

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 06:52:46 am »
It's a real problem and the local Rural Lands Protection Board requires that noxious vermin be controlled with a view to eradication. I don't fancy a visit from the Ordinance Inspector.

To make matters worse some idiot has let their pet rabbit roam free in the street and it's cross bred with the wild bunnies. There are baby rabbits everywhere. And they come in all colours. Ginger, black, white . . . Oy!

Ah well.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 07:55:56 am »
Actually I hope a lot of folks who are newly diagnosed get a whif of what you are doing. 

Ah yes, a whiff of the barnyard for the newbies will do them wonders! :D LOL sorry, couldn't resist! But Cliff is right Jan, you are living proof that not only does life go on after diagnosis, but it can get richer too.

And don't you dare stop bringing us your Animal Farm stories! Four legs good! ;)

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline joemutt

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 08:31:53 am »
Jan, I would like to be a little goat on your farm  ::)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 09:07:15 am »
Love you Jan,

and I think your animals are very fortunate indeed!  Keep up the good work, and the wonderful barnyard tales.

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 10:22:59 am »
My second trip to the UK my cousin took over his collegue's goat farm for 2 weeks. We had goats milk every day and if I could afford it I would buy it instead of bovine milk. It is just betterfor humans.
I envy you!- I am sure that your goats' hoofs are just stunning! Congrats
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 06:59:52 pm »
Jan

I guess I missed this thread (seems to happen a lot lately).  I love what you are doing for the abused/abandoned goats.  I can't think of a more loving and committed individual to take on this task.  Only you would turn a "hobby farm" into a home for orphans--goats no less!   ;)

I also completely agree with what others said:  "Don't you dare stop bringing your animal stories to us."  I remember when Jacob was sick, the elderly male you tumbled down the hill to save (goat that is not husband  ;D) and I swore to god had you not got stuck in the mud you'd have given him mouth to mouth!, the pictures when you got the first Alpacas.  I love your stories.

You are an absolute angel, there's no question of that (proof in picture below).

With complete awe and affection,

RAB

(Still say you should get a pig or two!   >:()

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 07:50:22 pm »
That's our St. Jan......running a home for abandoned and abused goats!

They are so lucky to have you taking care of them.   You really are a saint, you know.....

Love you,

Alan   :-*

« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:05:09 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 09:01:57 pm »
Hi Rocky

I'm still working on the "Pig thing" I really want a Kune Kune..they start of so beautiful and end up the ugliest pigs you have ever seen... :D..but they are very affectionate and make lovely pets...well with a face that like you have to have something going for you.. :D

Alan I will call next week to see how you are getting on..love ya back
Hugs
The photo's say it all... ;)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:04:55 pm by anniebc »

Offline Basquo

Re: I'm now officially a "Foster Mum" (now with pig pictures for Rocky)
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 09:13:39 pm »
OMG!!!  Calico pigs!  Not a far stretch from some cats I've kept!

Offline fearless

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 11:59:17 pm »
Aw, little Dennis is so cute!!!

Be vewwy quiet, Matty's going wabbit hunting

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:01:55 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 09:38:17 am »
Little Steve:  LMAO!  :D (Elmer Fudd was always one of my favs.)

Jan:

That's what I'm talking about!  How could you not love that face!  They are adorable!   ;)

RAB

Offline Jody

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 01:11:24 pm »
Happy Mother's Day to Jan and all her lucky little creatures !!!  :D

Jody  :D
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 05:09:42 pm »
Dear sweet Jan,
I just LOVE your animal stories! ;D
Please don't stop posting them.
You really are an angel!

Peace

Kelly

POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 06:37:42 pm »
Rocky...a lot of my pets when I was young were ones's "I had to keep because they followed me home"..if you know what I mean... ;)..so maybe I can get a Kune Kune to follow me home, I do know someone who has them... :D..and you are right they do have a face only a mother could love and I WILL have one one day.

Kelly if you keep posting those beautiful pictures..(my grand-daughter loves them) I will keep my animals stories going... ;)

Hugs to you both

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:39:14 pm by anniebc »

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 08:15:17 pm »

Sounds like a good deal to me, Jan! ;D

Peace & love,
Kelly

POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Robert

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 02:50:50 am »
Jan....

Like everyone else, I love the pictures and the stories.  Have you read All Creatures Great and Small by James Harriott?

And if you play your cards right, when you get the pig, you can train her to herd the goats....just like BABE.

robert

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 02:54:25 am by Robert »

Offline Christine

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2006, 02:26:49 pm »
Hello Jan,
Congratulations on your new arrivals! I look forward to pictures!! I agree with everyone else, I love reading the animal stories.

Matty- I can loan you my one dog, Pluto. He is up to rabbit death #5 for the summer. He loves hunting wabbits! :) And eating them, which can be rather nauseating when picking up the remains.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.