Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:44:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 478
Total: 479

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Access medication as Permanent Resident in Texas, USA?  (Read 4284 times)

Offline atripla_2013

• Diagnoised Jan 2013, start Atripla June 2013
Access medication as Permanent Resident in Texas, USA?
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:47:44 am »
Hi friends,

Please advice me or give me the information source: how to access the healthcare system in Texas, USA for Positive man.

I am from Asia, plan to live and work in Texas, USA as a Permanent Resident (with green card), so I need to know about:

- Medical insurance
- Where/How to buy medicine and join the sustainable healthcare service?

Your advice is really appreciated. Thanks with care and love

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:42:25 am by Jeff G »
Male, 30
Diagnoised Jan 2013
July.13: CD4: 351, VL: 85
May.13: CD4: 336, VL: 24100
Start Atripla June 2013
Aug.14: CD4: 650, VL: UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Access medication as Permanent Resident in Texas, USA?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:04:19 pm »
Post the city?

Probably start by contacting an AIDS Service Association in the area, to help navigate the maze.

If you are going to have a decent income, you are going to buy Affordable Care Act insurance and/or get insurance through work.

If you are going to be low income - you will probably really need the help of an ASA to get all that set up.

Im sorry that my post is vague Im really not the one to answer  :(  but I just wanted to suggest you post the metropolitan areas because that might help someone reply to you with specifics.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:07:42 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:48:39 pm »
Agree with Mecch that the metro area would help.

Coverage via an employer plan is usually the best.  Do you have a job lined up?  Are you eligible to be covered under the plan of a spouse/domestic partner?

Here's a random link on the affordable care act for resident aliens.

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/obamacare-for-green-card-holders/

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »
Hi friends,

Please advice me or give me the information source: how to access the healthcare system in Texas, USA for Positive man.

I am from Asia, plan to live and work in Texas, USA as a Permanent Resident (with green card), so I need to know about:

- Medical insurance
- Where/How to buy medicine and join the sustainable healthcare service?

Of all the places to pick you chose Texas?  Okay. 

1.  Do you have a job? 

A.  Does this job provide health insurance?

a.  Does the health insurance provided by your employer cover your hiv care and meds enough to where your        income can pick up what they don't?

B.  if they do not provide health insurance you will need to purchase private insurance.  Coming from Asia you may be in for quite the sticker shock.  Good private insurance is going to set you back several hundred dollars per month.  Can you afford to purchase private insurance?   I checked online for a silver plan that has a $2500 deductible for a man who doesn't smoke and is 40years old runs about $300 per month. 

2.  You don't have a job, or insurance, or cannot afford to purchase insurance.   You will need to see if you qualify for public assistance.   Contact an ASO in the city you are moving to/live in and see if they can qualify you for a program.   Be advised that public assistance has income requirements.  Texas, being Texas, has very stringent requirements for public assistance.  I would inquire prior to actually getting on a plane.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:27:43 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.