Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:24:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 200
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: please help  (Read 7435 times)

Offline scaredguyto

please help
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:49:33 pm »
Hello,

Thanks to you all for the informative and supportive postings you people made. I am 24 yrs old and recently had two sexual encounters. I was on a business trip in Bangladesh and both the encounters were with sex workers. Both occasion (2-3 times each occasion) I used condoms and had vaginal intercourse only. On the second occasion after ejaculation I did not pull out immediately, I pulled out after 2-3 minutes and found out that the condom is inside her. I can't remember if it was completely inside her or if it was hanging outside a little. Also, not sure if it slipped while withdrawing r earlier. Anyway, I freaked out and went to the restroom, I notices some yellowish fluid on my body (not on penis but on my pubic hair area)…I washed myself.

After this last encounter (July 1) I started seeing HIV symptoms in me all the time now, no fever but sore throat, little pain on the leg (I think I had a little pain in my leg even before), feeling week, don't feel like doing anything (have not gone to work since I am back), swollen lymph node at the back of my neck.

I came back to North America (A 36 hour’s flight). Since I am back I am constantly worried and this is turning into paranoia now. I went to a STD clinic and they took blood sample for a p24 test (10 days since possible exposure). They mentioned that this is a low risk. The p24 came back negative.

I will really apprecite if someone answers some questions I have and help me to calm down...

1- Given my situation, how likely is it to contract HIV?
2- What is the validity of a p24 test after 10 days of exposure?
3- I am going to take an antibody test on week 6, will the result have any meaning or is it just a waste?
4- can the symptoms be from stress?
5- Have you seen cases where people think they are seeing solid symptoms and then turn out to be negative?
6- Can pain below my belly button and left leg be related to HIV or other STD?
7- I heard that having circumcised penis reduces risk of HIV transmission, is that true?

I am totally lost and the burden is too much. I can’t talk to anyone and have no idea what to do, it's driving me crazy. I am going through the internet and freaking out more. Will really appreciate answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: please help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:34:13 am »
Scaredguy,

You have no risk in the situation you describe.  Whatever is going on with your body has nothing to do with hiv.

Condoms provide excellent protection against hiv.  You had protected sex and, as such, were not at risk for hiv.

Continue to use condoms for penetrative  sex and you will remain hiv negative.

Can symptoms be stress related??  Yes.

Have we seen this before in others??  Yes. Many times.

Would a 6 week test be an excellent indication of your hiv status.  Yes.

Because you're having symptoms you perceive as hiv related, you're probably not going to believe this and are going to come back with more "what ifs".  Resist the urge.  None of the symptoms you detail are indicative of primary hiv infection.  This is not sugar coating.  You had no risk for hiv in anything you describe.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 04:39:14 am »
scared,

You need to withdraw immediately after ejaculation when using condoms. Why? Because as soon as you ejaculate your penis will start to become flaccid (soft) and when you withdraw, the condom will remain inside. This is most likely what happened in your case. It is a classic scenario.

Please read carefully through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms correctly and avoid scaring the crap out of yourself in future.

I wouldn't even recommend testing over this incident, and I do not expect your test results to change from that negative P24 you have.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredguyto

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 03:14:11 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging words. I will test on 6 week and keep my fingures crossed. I think Morgan has missed the slipped condom part, the entire thing was not protected (even though I intended it to be  :( ).

Also, does the negative at day 10 have any significance at all? or was it too early for a p24?

Thanks again :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 03:52:43 pm »
The P24 test was done during the window time of P24 testing.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 05:31:49 pm »
Scaredguy,

Actually, no I didn't miss the slipped condom part. 

Hiv is a very fragile virus that does not easily infect, especially from a woman to a man.  The time an unprotected penis is most at risk for hiv infection is when it is erect and thrusting at the cervix where the most infectious fluid resides (the thick mucus at the opening of the cervix). 

Your flaccid, mostly protected, retreating penis would not become infected in what you describe. 

Additionally, your neg. p24 is an excellent indication of your status.

I stand by my original assessment.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline scaredguyto

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 10:22:38 am »
One question....The lymph node when they swell, do they contain pus? and can the pus be drained by myself? What I got under my armpit had pus in it and it got a head, so I drained it. Does it sound like a swollen lymph node or something else? Most things I read about pus in the net says pus is a reaction of bacterial infection, not virul...any idea about this?

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 12:24:24 pm »
Scared,

Lymph nodes do not develop heads and pus. It sounds like you had an infected hair follicle or similar - and nothing whatsoever to do with hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredguyto

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 02:59:59 pm »
Last 2 days, I have this wierd feeling of unwellness. It's nothng specific, just a little light headed and feeling unwell. I have my 6 week test coming up in 4 days...can the anxity be the reson for this strange feeling?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 03:10:27 pm »
Scaredguyto,

You would be shocked at the laundry list of physical ailments that can be precipitated by stress. 

This is not an hiv situation.  Nothing you have brought to this forum is indicative of primary hiv infection.

Morgan  :)
Morgan Landers

Offline scaredguyto

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:57:01 am »
did the quick test (not ora quick, the one they use in Canada) got negative at 39 days :)
WOOHOO (small one....the big one will follow at 13 week)

How likely is it to test potive at 13 weeks after this negative at 39 day?

YOU GUYS ARE ALL GREATTTTTTTTTTTTT :)

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 01:50:30 pm »
Scaredguy,

If you had a real risk of hiv infection we would advise a conclusive test at 13 weeks.  As you HAVE NOT had a risk of infection, I would consider this test conclusive.

Regards,

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline scaredguyto

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:40:54 pm »
you mean it? I mean....I am doing so much better after the 6 week negative :). As an expert if you think I am 99% on the clear that will be like...you know...a lot assuring

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 04:38:40 am »
scared,

As you didn't have a risk (the condom slipped because you stayed inside until you were soft and thus were never exposed) you do not need further testing. You are as negative as you can be.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.