Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:22:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 636
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Scared I have had a risk  (Read 1859 times)

Offline maskedcoon

• Standard
Scared I have had a risk
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:52 am »
I had sex with a CSW and during the sex I felt what was like the condom broke and also the sex felt a little better.  After withdrawing I glanced down and seen what appeared to be a intact condom so I just removed and flushed it.  I guess it was dark and it could have torn or tore on the sides or bottom where I did not inspect or could have missed the hole or tear due to low lighting.  So anyways starting around the 2 week period i have had almost all the ARS symptoms and a few still going on.  I read that you are to test at the 6 week mark and then confirm it at 12 weeks but I did not read that till around the 9th week so I tested with Oraquick oral swab test and got a negative.  I have been concerned and spoke to a nurse about what test i have taken and symptoms as she said symptoms are what someone may experience during a recent infection of HIV and but here she caught me off guard is she stated that the oral test should be positive escepically at 9 weeks if what I had was ARS beging at two weeks.  She stated most people should test positive within a week after symptoms if they were infected but that was with a blood test but she felt that oral should only be a couple days behind blood.  She also stated that the test I took was really conclusive and should not give it another thought.  I have read so much conflicting data and I asked her of her experience in HIV and she worked with a ID doctor a few years ago but she also stated it would be hard to get infected from short exposures but not impossible.  What do you think.....should I be concerned?  I know i screwed up and had sex outside my marriage and I am so afraid that I will infect my wife.  I just wanted to experience another person as I have on been with my wife and man how I wish I never had done it!!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Scared I have had a risk
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:26:42 am »
Protected sex is not a risk for infection.  An intact condom means no risk and you would have known if the condom had failed.  Condoms are designed so that when they fail, there is no doubt as they shred.  Condoms do not get tears or small holes, so your condom was intact and that is confirmed by your negative result at 9 weeks.

Most people will seroconvert within 22 days with some taking a little longer.  If you were poz, your test at 9 weeks would have been positive, but it was negative, as you never had a risk.  You may want to test for STDs, as some are much easier to contract than HIV.  You are reliably negative for HIV.

Joe

Offline maskedcoon

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:33:48 am »
Thank you for the reply.  Please excuse my ignorance but I must ask.....is there a way it broke and upon withdrawing it recovered my head?  I feeling changes and the pop was like something I heard so I just cant help to think it broke.  Plus with all these symptoms I am freaked out!  I dont really understand the differences in the test taken but I dont want to either as this is my last time doing anything stupid as this.  When will people start seeing positives on Oraquick?  All I can get people to say is 12/13 weeks it is conclusive.....just doesnt make sense to me as the test doesnt know what week it is?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 12:18:59 pm »
A failed condom looks like a hula skirt on your penis.  The ring at the bottom and the rest of the condom is shredded and it would be impossible for it to "recover" the head of your penis.  That's why an intact condom means it was protected sex and not a risk.

The reason we say that a 12 week result is conclusive is we know the average time it takes for someone to become positive.  We know most people will become positive within 4 weeks of infection, so the earliest we suggest testing is at 6 weeks, well past the time it takes to become infected.  A negative result at 6 weeks or 9 weeks, means you are NOT infected.

You have tested negative, 9 weeks after this incident, so you are reliably negative.  It is safe for you to move on, you are negative.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.