Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:56:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 647
Total: 648

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How Are Studies Done on Meds?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline tednlou2

How Are Studies Done on Meds?
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:53:54 pm »
My friend took me to the doc today.  In the waiting room, he was reading a magazine and saw an ad for a medication to treat frequent urination and/or urination problems.  I want to say the drug was Toviaz??  Anyway, he told me how he was in a study for the drug a few years ago.  He said after he reported he still had frequent urination after being on the drug, they removed him from the study.  The women he reported to told him the drug company would no longer want him in the study.  He told her that seems like they are creating their own desired results.  She just kind of nodded, but didn't say anything.

This got me wondering how drug studies are done and whether there is manipulation that is common.  While this study was funded by the drug company, it was done by a 3rd party.  I believe he said Indiana University or a medical group connected to I.U. ran the study.  I know the FDA does it's own research, but how much do they rely on studies done or funded by the drug companies?  I'm still confused on the difference between cohort studies and other type of studies.  I know one gives more accurate results, right?  I suppose I need to Google that to edumacate myself.  Anyway, hearing this really surprised me and made me wonder how many people who have adverse reactions are dismissed from the studies, so they aren't counted.  Or, how many participants learn what those running the studies want to hear and tell them what they want to hear, so they can stay in the study and continue to get paid.  My friend said he was paid $50 a week.  He said he really needed that money at the time and may have been tempted to tell them what they wanted to hear.  Maybe his isolated story is just that--isolated.  He and I were trying to come up with legitimate and normal reasons they would dismiss him, but haven't come up with any.

Offline buginme2

Re: How Are Studies Done on Meds?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:23:12 am »
If the drug is used to treat a condition that is measurable it is conducted using a double blind placebo controlled trial.  Neither the doctors or the patients know if they are receiving the real drug or a placebo.  The results are usually then compared to an existing treatment that already exists.  If the treatment doesnt perform better than the current treatment option it fails. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.