Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:21:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 209
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sick for 1st time since dx  (Read 9538 times)

Offline Mattinsrq

Sick for 1st time since dx
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:39:30 am »
Hello Everyone!

Im newly Diagnosed, almost 3 months ago.  I've started taking better care of myself and am not on any hiv meds. 

This is the first time I've gotten a cold in a few years.  The cold seems rather harmless enough.  So, my question is:
                          Is there anything I should do "special" or just ride out the cold?  I'm a little anxious I guess.

My vl is 34k and my cd4 just went up 200 to 1084.   

Thanks

Matt

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Sick for 1st time since dx
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:49:23 am »
Matt,

Welcome to the Forums!

It's not uncommon for us HIVers to worry that every little infection and sniffle we get is AIDS related. Especially just after diagnosis. Given your robust CD4 count (send some of those T-Cells my way!) I would think you've just got a cold and you should inded "ride it out".

Fondly,

MtD

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:55:41 am »
Thanks Matty!

I rarely have had a cold in last 10 years, so I was like, "Is this the end?"!!!  My thoughts can get very dramatic at times  :) 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:00:32 am »
Quite understandable dear! It's totally natural to see everything through the "prism" of HIV. You were probably scheduled for a cold anyway. ;)

Like I said your CD4 count is excellent. Has your doctor told you what your CD4 percentage is? If you haven't already, I'd recommend you take a wander through our lessons on what the various blood tests mean. Most informative.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:04:47 am »
shoot, I'd have to look at my labs, but I'm pretty sure its around 42%

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 09:07:21 am »
shoot, I'd have to look at my labs, but I'm pretty sure its around 42%

Bastard! ;)  :P

Matty the Damned is green with envy!!!! ;D

Anything above 32% but below about 60% is within normal range.

MtD

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:26 am »
Ok, then I'm just a crazy bitch that needs to RELAX, lol!

Thanks, and I love your name, people call me Matty!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 06:13:10 pm »
We need more Matty/Matt/Matthew types around here. With you I think we have 5 at the moment. ;D

MtD

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 07:28:50 pm »
just stating the obvious but easy-to-forget: note your symptoms especially if they differ significantly from the last cold you had (e.g., mucus more watery than before) ... this way, in case it goes on too long (hope not) it can help your doc figure out what's what especially if you're noticing things not seen in the past

« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 07:37:33 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline poobear

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 07:38:38 pm »
It is very common and normal to think this way.  I have been HIV+ for 12 years and still to this day I think every little cold or sicknees is related and it is not.  Just know that sometimes it takes us a little longer to recover from a cold.  Good luck and hope you feel better.   Rachel

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 10:25:48 pm »
eat right,take on some vitamins,and rest,the same as you would do if you werent positive,thats the way i would do it.but i guess being new to this wonderful world here,you may just be worring more because of fear of getting ill?as long as you take good care of yourself you should be fine.take care

Offline Eldon

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 10:51:00 pm »
Hello Matty, it is Eldon.

I wanted to extend to you a warm WELCOME to the forums. Here, you will find love, encouragement, communication, support, understanding, fun, and most of all, many of your questions answered relating to HIV/AIDS.

As others have said, your numbers are fantastic. You should ride this cold out. In the meantime (if you have not already), add a multi-vitamin to your diet, drink plenty of fluids, eat a healthy diet, get some exercise, and most importantly...get your proper rest.

Again Welcome! and Have the BEST Day!

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 10:56:57 pm »
I would not worry about a cold...just a minor annoyance.

Jeff

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 11:27:57 pm »
WELCOME TO THIS PLACE!!!!!!

For me, invaluable. Diagnosed just 2 months ago. And I had a cold those days. BUT it wasn't the end of the world....

BTW: WHAT A NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 03:01:29 pm »
Thanks so much for the encouragement everyone! ;D  It's day 4 of the cold and I'm starting to feel better. 
I already take vitamins...about 20 different things a day to get as healthy as possible.  I know that can't keep my viral load from increasing(or can it?).

I've read through the lessons a few times and found them awesome, especially in how to read my tests. 

Thanks again for the support and look forward to chatting with you all again.

Matt

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 05:07:52 pm »
Hey Matt,

Taking vitamins will have no impact on your VL either way.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
Hi Matt .....  mattty......

Here is a GREAT REFERENCE for some nutritional advice and what vitamins to take and how much.

It was originally posted by one of our own (Steven) around Feb, 2004.  It's good advice.

robert

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 11:49:24 am »
Very Informative post.  Upon diagnosis, my doctor recommended I get a "Spectracell" blood test.  This is a specific test that shows exactly what nutrients your body needs.  It gives a range of recommended dosage to improve the areas lacking, to come up with a tailor-made approach to supplements.  It also gives a personalized guide of natural foods that supply the vitamins and minerals you need.

Anything else seems like a crap shoot...hoping you are taking the right stuff, in the right amount. 

Matt

Offline catwoman

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 11:43:42 pm »
I'm battling a cold too.  This is my 3rd time with a cold since my diagnosis (Dec. '05).  I'm terrified too.  I try to remember to keep calm because stress doesn't help.  I'm getting better but I think it's a cloud that always hangs over us poz folks.  We have to remember not to blow it out of proportion.  The way society has taught us to think about this disease makes it difficult, especially when you learn the facts. 

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 11:35:22 am »
Well, my cold has taken a nose dive ....to my chest.  I think it's time to go to the doctor, since breathing is strained and coughing up Furbies. :-\ 
I am just trying not to stress out about it, and focus on other stuff.  (I quit my job last week, probably some of the stress that may have caused me to get sick)  And I feel SO uncomfortable applying for jobs while hacking and sniffling...not the best 1st impression.
My boyfriend can help support us during this, but I really don't want to rely on him to take care of me...

lol, sorry to ramble...I may have overdosed on the NyQuil!

Matt

Offline pragyamishra

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 02:45:03 pm »
 Hey.

I'm a woman who suffers from Tecno Phobia!  JOined the Forum today. Trying my hand at bloging 4 the first time. Nervous & excited ( Like I was on my 1st date) :)

Prags

Offline pragyamishra

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 02:57:06 pm »
Hey Matty!

Try not to be so stressed out about your cold. Wait till the doc says anything.

All the Best.

Prags

Offline almalibre

• Hello, hello sailor!! Love the rumba...!!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 05:03:33 pm »
  Hey matty...

Don't really stress out about your first cold, it's your body repond to infection and if your are getting checked out that with your doctor and  have the knowledge of  your CD4 an VL.  It's natural  since you haven't get a cold in 10 year, but 10 years a go means a lot diference to your inmune system.

Wish you the best..
Love to all ...***

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 07:45:25 pm »
Matty, you still got alot of Cowboys and Indians fighting the good fight..  Youll shake it off...

Offline Basquo

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 08:24:53 pm »
Hello and welcome!

Taking vitamins and other supplements may not directly affect your viral load, but if they make you feel better then your overall health will be better, and THAT affects you viral load, most of the time, anyway, I feel. Of course, you'll need to rethink supplements should you start meds, but if your CD4s are over 1,000 then you're doing great!  Even with normal CD4s I've had to adjust my diet due to IBS (That's what they call it when they can't figure out what's up with your guts; I figured out on my own it was from eating 2 meals a day in my hospital's cafeteria) and I do take meds for that, but they'll have to wrench my vitamins and garlic pills from my cold dead hands before I give them up! (Unless I start HIV meds, in which case I may have to ditch the pilled garlic and go for the real thing.)

Keep it up!

Best,
Creighton

Offline Bartro

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 10:57:41 pm »
I just got over a cold that ended up turning into walking pneumonia.  It took the doctor some time to convince me it wasn't HIV related.  I just finished the anti-biotics and feel pretty much back to normal. This was also my first time feeling sick since diagnosis.  I am going to have to learn not to panic.
Rusty

Offline pragyamishra

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 11:27:23 pm »
Good morning ppl!

I agree, not every little ailment is related to the positive status. It could be due to change in season. I, too right now am suffering from a Bad cold but  just taking anti biotics  & hoping that the cold goes away!

Cheers to all
Prags

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 11:50:26 pm »
Thanks for all the positive messages of encouragement!  I'm feeling a bit better.  I didn't go to the doctor after all.  I'm thinking from the above responses, the best thing to do is relax and continue to take care of myself.

I am so glad I posted this, because when I started this thread, I was filled with anxiety, and now, thanks to you guys and gals, it's gone!

Matt

Offline pragyamishra

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 11:56:58 pm »
Hey Matty!

COLD HAS DISAPPREARED! WOW! Congrats buddy!

& We are all here to support & care for each other !

Pushing out for Work.....
Prags

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2006, 09:52:43 am »
Hi Matt,
Welcome to the Forums,

Nothing worse than a summer cold, Glad its clearing up, not to stoke any worries, but there is a pretty lively red Tide going on that can sometimes agrivate a cold but I wouldnt get too bothered about it  ( Im in SRQ also  ;D)
Sometimes a Cold is Just a Cold...although Nyquil is pretty much always Revolting which is why I chase it with a shot of Vodka.

Aint our town a fun place ?? feel free to send me a PM if you wanna chat.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.