Main Forums > Living With HIV

The effect of HIV on sleep

(1/2) > >>

Boo Radley:
In the last week or so there have been a couple of posts about HIV+ people with insomnia or other sleep problems.  How many of us are aware that HIV, by itself, interferes with the output of sleep-regulating hormones and other biochemicals which may also interfere with sleep?

In 1994 I began having problems sleeping -- insomnia, frequent waking without being able to return to sleep, waking up feeling as tired as if I'd had no sleep.  Since I worked in a library and had access to online journal citation databases I did my own research and found several studies which demonstrated the effect of HIV on sleep.  HIV affects the secretion of those hormones which make us sleep and it also screws up the output of other hormones (like HG) which also interrupt normal sleep cycles.  The upshot of all this is that many HIV+ people don't get enough deep sleep so no matter how many hours they sleep they're still fatigued.

On top of this some anti-retrovirals, like AZT, also interfere with sleep. 

To me this is one of the key elements of HIV infection since we all know sleep deprivation can cause immune system problems and other physiological changes.   I've been taking prescription drugs to help me sleep for over 10 years and even though I may be addicted to them at least I usually get enough sleep.  Only recently have the sleeping problems recurred and my doc and I worked on a few pharmacological changes and the problem seems to be under control.

I'm posting this because there seems to be widespread ignorance about this fact, even among HIV doctors.  It doesn't matter if you exercise until you drop or drink cups of chamomille tea or warm milk before bedtime if HIV is altering your body's ability to get restful sleep.  Sure, exercise and non-pharmacological substances can help but they cannot change the effect HIV has on your body.

Boo

P.S.  I don't mean to sound pissy in this post so if it comes off that way my apologies.  My intent is solely to publicize an aspect of HIV infection which seems to be overlooked or unknown by many HIV+ people and their physicians. 

simon695:
Thanks The Exactly The Sort Of Thing I Want To Read,
Knowing The Reason Makes It More Manageable.
               Sincerely
                  Si

Christine:
This past year I have had a lot of sleep problems, but I also deal with depression which caused sleep disturbances before I was poz. I am not sure if the sleep problems (I fall asleep fine, wake up around 3am) are from the hiv or the depression, or a combo of both. I take Ambien when things are really bad.
Christine

Boo Radley:

--- Quote from: Christine on October 31, 2006, 03:00:45 pm ---This past year I have had a lot of sleep problems, but I also deal with depression which caused sleep disturbances before I was poz.
--- End quote ---

Christine,

I've lived with depression since childhood and know how debilitating it can be.  Depression at its worst always causes me to stay in bed all day and try to sleep as much of my life away as possible.  When I started having problems staying asleep it was totally different.  I had also begun taking an anti-depressant which helped greatly so I don't think depression was involved with my sleep problems but each of us is different so I can't know what causes your problems.  Possibly a combination of being poz and depression.  The goal to work for is getting a decent night's sleep.  Good luck!

Boo   

poet:
Thanks so much for the information which is news to me.  I wonder whether different hiv drugs have differing affects both on hiv (viral suppression) as well as some of the effects such as reduced deep sleep?  Since I am on Sustiva, I have dreams such as I never recall having, 3d, all color, etc.  But whether these dreams mean that I reach certain levels of sleep: an unknown.  Ditto depression which can appear as a result of taking the nightly Sustiva pill.  I have learned to block it's onset or at least remind myself that this is the drug doing its thing.  Win

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version