Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:01:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 202
Total: 202

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: very very scared  (Read 7099 times)

Offline skippy21

very very scared
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:39:30 am »
I have been reading a lot of postings that last several days and i'm still extremely concerned. I will try and keep my story as brief as possible. approximately four months ago i had a deep kissing episode with an individual and not sure regarding hiv status. it lasted about three seconds. i did not have any cuts in my mouth. a few weeks after the incident, i got a throat infection and the doctor prescibed antibiotics. it went away in a few days. several weeks after tghe throat infection, i got a cold, then another cold. recently i came down with a fever 104 that lasted for several days and the doctor said i had bronchitis. gave me antibiotics and it went away. I constantly itching and extremely stressed out. i know that you can't be diagnosed with HIV by symptoms alone but what has happened to me since the incident is very strange. I never get sick, especially with an infection. i forgot to mention that the person inserted her finger into her vagina that put it into my mouth. I don't know what to do. My hips hurt for a few days and i think my mind is playing tricks on me. Please help.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: very very scared
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:42:56 am »
Skippy,

No matter what you might think, HIV is not transmitted via kissing -- deep or otherwise. You were not at risk and you do not need to test. As you correctly note, symptoms mean nothing when it comes to diagnosing HIV.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:48:09 am »
And there is not anything even remotely HIV specific about anything you have mentioned symptomatically. Which is no surprise since as Matty has correctly told you, nothing you did put you at risk for HIV transmission.

If your symptoms persist that's something to discuss again with your doctor. This is not an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline skippy21

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:50:14 am »
Matty,

Thank you, but my mind is driving me crazy. it is affecting my daily life. I'm just totally terrified

Offline skippy21

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:52:44 am »
It seems like every day, there is something going on in my body

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:59:35 am »
skip,

If you're worried about what's going on with your body, you'll have to see your doctor. It won't be anything to do with hiv as you did not put yourself at risk for hiv. No, not even the pussy juice in the mouth.

Along with reading the Transmission Lesson found in the Welcome Thread Matty linked you to, here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skippy21

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:22:06 am »
Thanks everyone,

However, everything that the internet reports suggests the worst. It talks about dry skin, itchy skin, fevers, swollen nodes, sore throat, etc.... It is very scary for someone to read that information. Also, the information is contradictory. From what i know understand..... HIV needs a very close environment to be transmitted, vagina, anus, mouth. and the odds of getting HIV through deep kissing is basically remote. Why do sites even suggest this as a mode of transmission? You guys can certainly tell me that I'm crazy for even considering that I have been infected.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:27:29 am »
Skippy,

If what you read on the internet scares you, stop reading!

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms will tell you NOTHING about your hiv status. Nothing you report is in any way hiv specific. All these things can and do happen to people who do NOT have hiv. Like yourself.

Unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, or sharing drug injecting equipment with someone, then you have not put yourself at risk for hiv.

If you're read the Welcome thread like you've been asked to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please read and re-read your entire thread. There's really nothing more to add and our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skippy21

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:54:14 am »
Sorry Ann,

Just scared that's all. I'm sure that there are many people out there just like me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 02:12:16 pm »
Yes, there are. But that still doesn't mean you have HIV. You don't. And you need to exercise some self control and stop surfing the net to find more factoids that will only fuel your fears, all of course with no basis in HIV science.

And just because you undoubtedly in the course of living day to day will have bodily things happen doesn't by default mean HIV is the issue. You were not at risk. Get on with your life and stop feeding the drama.

Andy Velez

Offline skippy21

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 02:39:02 pm »
Andy,

thank you. I realize that I am being a pain in the ass and you certainly have much better things to do with your time. I certainly appreciate the time that your are taking. thanks for your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 05:37:11 pm »
You're welcome. Now, get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline skippy21

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:30:07 am »
Hi gang,

Have a question about an incident:

Kissed someone the other day and blood was present. I'm not sure if i had a cut in my mouth. Is this worth testing over. How long does it take for skin infections to occur?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:18 pm »
No, it is not something to test about. Your saliva has many inhibitory elements which prevent transmission from happening. Kissing is not a risk for transmission. Once again you are worrying needlessly.

Re-read our Transmission lesson.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline skippy21

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 11:57:35 am »
I'm curious,

I have read almost every encounter in this forum. And some situations pose higher risks than others. The majority of the people that inquire are concerned about their symptoms, that's why they are inquiring. In the vast majority of the responses by the moderators, the people inquiring were not a risk and they are prompted to read the transmission lesson, which discusses transmission through blood, semen, and vaginal secretions that enter through a cut or tear in your skin and through mucus membranes. some people have inquired about their risk level regarding a specific scenario in which they are terrified and the majority of the time, according to the moderators, are not at risk for HIV infection, in the real world of HIV, eventhough they have been exposed to to the infectious fluids. Here's the million dollar, "who gets infected with HIV" there should some clarity regarding this issue other than have people read and reread the transmission lesson. people are on this sight for one reason, because they are scared and they have read a lot of contradictory information on the internet

Offline skippy21

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 11:55:21 am »
I guess my analysis, or lock there of, does not deserve a response

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 11:58:42 am »
No it doesn't. We've explained this to you previously. You weren't at risk, you don't need to test, you don't have HIV.

It might surprise you to learn that this forum isn't about you. It's primarily for people with HIV who support each other. When we get time, we help Worried Wells like you.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 02:44:56 pm »
Blah, blah, blah, Skippy. Use condoms everytime for intercourse and you'll essentially be covered sexually as far as HIV is concerned.

Stop with the blah, blah, blah and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline skippy21

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 09:00:02 am »
Apologies all around,

My last post was rude and completely disrespectful. I need this service certainly more than it needs me. I know that I have been manifesting all my issues in my mind. Looking at things realisticly, I know that if HIV was transmiitted via kissing, the world would be facing a much more serious problem than what we already have. Anxiety is a terrible thing and it certainly makes all of your fears seem real. I just want to hear it again from you guys that I HAVE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO RISK FOR HIV INFECTION.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 09:05:23 am »
skip,

How many times do you have to be told? Re-read your entire thread instead of asking us to repeat ourselves. We have lives too, you know!

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline skippy21

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 09:12:05 am »
sorry ann

Offline skippy21

Re: very very scared... Must Read
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 11:11:40 am »
First and foremost: thanks to all the moderators on this forum; you are all very special and gifted people.

For all the people who access this site, this site has the most accurate and complete information of the hundreds of sites that you have visited. pay very close attention to what the moderators tell you. They work in the REAL WORLD of HIV. There is too much information on the internet, many of which will scare the S%@! out of you. DO NOT SYMPTOMS SHOP THEY MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! I had every conceivable symptom, and even created some of my own, unitl I tested negative. The fact of the matter is..... you mind is very powerful and you can actually talk yourself into the physical symptoms. TRUST ME. For anyone that is concerned regarding their HIV status, get tested, it is the only sure way to know. Symptoms shopping will only drive you absolutely crazy. Access you risk and read the transmission lesson on this forum. If confused, re-read it.

The REAL WORLD of HIV is very simple. Use a condom everytime, that's why they are there. I hope everyone that has read this thread has benefitted it some way.

Ann, Andy, Matty: Thank you once again, you'll always be in my thoughts and prayers 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.