Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:35:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

poll amended; voided till later date.

undetermined data
0 (0%)
undetermined data
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 24, 2008, 10:53:04 am

Author Topic: Aids Meds Gathering -08_ Hotels  (Read 32999 times)

Offline mjmel

Aids Meds Gathering -08_ Hotels
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:23:24 pm »
Hotels for AMG 08: Please review.
There are so many that it’s hard to pick but the quaint smaller ones don’t offer amenities we are all used to—all of these that I have listed are rated with good reviews. Note: 4 & 5 star ratings in Mexico are equivalent to our 2 or 3 stars by US standards.

1. Hotel Gillow. This link is to pricing page. Prices in pesos. http://www.hotelgillow.com/Epages/rooms.html
Located within a block or two near Zocalo Square where the great Cathedral is located. Lots of tourist and locals in business hours but nighttime brings an almost deserted feel. It goes from bustling with activity to almost spooky quiet at night but no real danger or incidents reported by tourist/reviews. Restaurants and a metro stop nearby. 

2. Hotel Benidorm. Link to price page. Prices in USD. In Roma district—which is situated midway between the Zona Rosa and Zocalo Square. More modern looking than the other two.
http://www.benidorm.com.mx/english/rooms.php

3. Maria Cristina Hotel. http://www.hotelmariacristina.com.mx or http://www.hotelmariacristina.com.mx/index3_in.htm (english pages)
Recommended by a forum member. Looks nice. It has a nice courtyard area.
No pool. Reportedly, staff can sometimes be curt. English speaking staff.
Located just 2 blks off the Paseo del Reforma which is the major street serving as boundary between the financial district and Zona Rosa. Considered part of Zona Rosa area. Bars/restaurants in area. Nearest metro/Subway stop 6 blocks away which is OK for the first couple of days then it gets to be a chore, one reviewer states.

To all who are planning/interested in attending the Aids Med Gathering in Mexico City, Mexico from Aug 7th - 13th, 2008: Check these hotel websites. Thread is open to selection and/or comments/vote.

Offline Robert

Re: AMG_08 Hotels_Which One?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:55:10 am »
The prices are really cheap.  If I'm doing my math correctly, the Maria Christina is $65 USD (695 pesos)/night for single.  The Hotel Gellow has suites for the same price (690 pesos).

I noticed all of them have restaurants/bars.  The Hotel Gellow has a meeting room.  The Maria Christina has a private garden/patio.  That might be a nice place to have our nightly cocktails and get-togethers.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:33:05 am »
Good work Mike.

Hotel Gillow.

Single room=$US 45.00
Double rooms 2/3 people= $US 65.00
Triple Room 3 people..=$US70.00

they also have luxury Suites for 1/2 people at around $US70.00 also, all the rooms looks good.

They have a meeting room that holds 30 people, but it looks like they only have one.

Hotel Benidorm

Single room..$US103.00
Double room 2 people..$US103.00
Triple room 3 people..$US126.00

They have quite a few meeting rooms that hold  from 30 to 350 people.

Hotel Maria Cristina

Single room=$US65.00
Double room=$US71.00
Again rooms look good, located in the Zona Rosa, Museums, nightclubs, bars and restuarants.

Please take the time and look at the links that Mike has given us and let us know what your preferences are or if you have any questions.

Thank you

Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline ademas

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:47:12 am »
I'll throw this one out again for you to consider, only because I've stayed there, and it's very nice.

Internet rates:  US$88 for a single or double weekdays; US$80 on weekends.

http://www.marcopolo.com.mx/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150800-d154668-Reviews-Marco_Polo_Hotel-Mexico_City_Central_Mexico_and_Gulf_Coast.html

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:49:40 am »
Hello All. I am going to create a new thread on this topic and will include a poll so a hotel can be voted on.
First time doing a poll thingy so be patient with me.
Please don't post in this one--the other one will be posted soon. Thanks

Mike
P.S. We' ll try to transfer any postings but can't be sure if it can be done. Sorry ademas, if we lose your post. I'll add the Marco Polo.  :)

Offline mjmel

Aids Meds Gathering -08_ Hotels
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:53:04 am »
To all who are planning/interested in attending the Aids Med Gathering in Mexico City, Mexico from Aug 7th - 13th, 2008: Review the hotel websites. Thread is open to selection and/or comments/vote.

1. Hotel Gillow. This link is to pricing page. Prices in pesos. http://www.hotelgillow.com/Epages/rooms.html
Located two blocks from Zocalo Square where the great Cathedral is located. Restaurants and a metro stop nearby. 
Very busy touristy area by day; far less activity at night.

2. Hotel Benidorm. Link to price page. Prices in USD. In Roma district—which is situated midway between the Zona Rosa and Zocalo Square. Metro stop and restaurants nearby. A more residential area than the other two selections.
http://www.benidorm.com.mx/english/rooms.php

3. Maria Cristina Hotel. http://www.hotelmariacristina.com.mx or http://www.hotelmariacristina.com.mx/index3_in.htm (english pages)
Located just 2 blks off the Paseo del Reforma which is a famous major avenue between the financial district and Zona Rosa. Considered part of Zona Rosa area. Many bars/restaurants in area. Nearest metro/Subway stop 6 blocks away.

Here is a link to maps of the general area: http://www.allaboutmexicocity.com/areamaps.htm

Offline allanq

Re: Aids Meds Gathering -08_ Hotels
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 01:46:58 pm »
Mike, thanks very much for researching this.

I voted for the Maria Cristina Hotel. The fact that it is located very close to the American, British, and Costa Rican embassies tells me that it is in a very good area. In my experience, major embassies are always located in the best part of town.

This hotel also got uniformly excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I did not see any dissenting opinions. I can deal with the Metro being six blocks away. That's maybe a 10-minute walk. It's more important to me that the hotel be located in a good and central part of town. In addition, taxis in Mexico are relatively inexpensive, so that can be a practical alternative if you don't feel like dealing with the Metro.

The rate for a double room (775 pesos) translates to about US$71. (That includes tax). It may be possible to negotiate an even lower rate for a group.

Allan
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:55:22 pm by allanq »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 02:42:51 pm »
I voted for ther one with the beauty parlor--maybe blondebeauty will join us this year!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:27:18 pm »
Placed my vote for the Maria Cristina......because as philly267 (a.k.a. The Decadent One) denotes it'll be near lots of activity, places, people and bars, neon lights, yadda, yadda, yadda that folks want to do at night.
Plus, it's situated just far away from the main drag & neon lights to be quiet in evenings. Some of us need extra sleep at night just to be pretty for you guys the next day.
 ;)

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 01:17:13 am »
Oh... free wii-fii.  Maybe I'll have my Asus EEE by then.  I'm holding out for the upcoming 9" model with WiMax.

It's ALL about the EEE!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 01:19:39 am »

Plus, it's situated just far away from the main drag & neon lights to be quiet in evenings. Some of us need extra sleep at night just to be pretty for you guys the next day.
 ;)

Mike

Don't worry honey... I'll pack all of my Kiehl's and I'll give you a full facial -- and no, I don't mean a pearl necklace either.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 04:00:12 pm »
Voted for Maria Christina... sounds like a reasonable place

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 04:52:24 pm »
The Hotel Benidorm is aesthetically challenged.  What's really sad is that the exterior has a fab camp 70's quality to it, and I could totally re-style the place and make it super chic.  What's with putting a picture of a hotel room with floating red and white balloons?  How tragic.

The Gillow is simply boring.

The Maria Cristina is the least offensive.  The exterior is charming pseudo-colonial.  Being close to embassies, as Allan wisely pointed out, should be an obvious plus.  The courtyard is cute.  It would be nice if there was a swimming pool so I could show off my concave lipo butt cheeks in a Gucci thong, but I guess everyone will have to miss out on that spectacle.

So who will have sex in that jacuzzi first?  If I score a hustler at the gay Mexican army boy bar I get first dibs... sorry.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 07:58:15 pm »
Might I suggest the Hotel de Cortes? It's centrally located -- it's near the Alameda and the Palacio de Bellas Artes (the fine arts palace -- home to the national opera company and, perhaps even more spectacularly, some of the most breathtaking murals by Siqueiros, Tamayo, and Rivera) -- and situated between the Zona Rosa and the Plaza Mayor. The courtyard is fantastic, especially for breakfast in the morning. While it's situated in a VERY busy part of the city, it's undoubtedly centrally located.

Before I moved to Mexico City back in 1996 -- I lived there for almost two years (in Colonia Roma) -- I stayed at the Hotel de Cortes and the Maria Cristina on a handful of occassions. I like the Maria Cristina -- but the Hotel de Cortes simply feels more authentic (the facade, like many of the colonial structures [e.g., the national palace and the national cathedral], is made up of stones taken from the Aztec temples that were destroyed by Cortes and his conquistadors). 

I don't recommend the Benidorm -- I just don't. As for the Gillow, I don't know anything about it. But if it's the Zocalo you want to be in (or near), I suggest the Zocalo Holiday Inn -- having breakfast on the rooftop, overlooking the massive and awe-inspiring square, is a brilliant way to start a day in Mexico City.

If I can be of any additional help, please let me know,

Tim 

P.S. Two pre-Mexico must reads: "Aztec," by Gary Jennings, and "Five Letters of Cortes to the Emperor," translated by Bayard Morris.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:05:04 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 08:09:23 pm »
Hi Tim

Thank you for your input, the hotels are certainly worth looking into, and thank you for your offer of help.

Hugs

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 09:11:33 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of these places have a pool?  Is it going to be much cooler in Mexico City than in Cancun?  I thought I had read that it dropped into the 50s at night.......?  I don't do well in the heat.  :(
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 09:45:16 pm »
Mexico City is a high altitude place dear.  Cancun is more part of the Caribbean.  Totally different.

Hotel de Cortes looks very fierce.  I didn't see what the rates were though.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 11:06:50 pm »
That's what I thought I had read, re: the temps.....I want a fierce hotel, too!  I haven't voted yet.  Rates on Hotel de Cortes were $145, oh YES!   Still pondering......Wanna share a room?   ;D

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 12:25:32 am »
Tim says,

"P.S. Two pre-Mexico must reads:"Aztec," by Gary Jennings, and "Five Letters of Cortes to the Emperor," translated by Bayard Morris."

"Aztec" is an incredible book.  We could have a thread totally on that.  If you're serious about going to Mexico then you need to read this book.  IF you think you might go or even if AMG might be a something on your wish list, read this book and I guarantee you'll find a way to go.

robert

who is going buy "Five Letters of Cortes to the Emperor" this weekend. 

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 03:35:50 am »
The Hotel Maria Cristina was suggested because of the price..it has 47 deluxe rooms with A/C if the heat is a problem for you in the evenings...

The Hotel De Cortes sounds wonderful but seems to be a bit pricey compare to the others...$US145.00 per night compared to the Hotel Maria Cristina.

Single Rooms..$US82.00 per night
Double Room..$US91.00 per night.

Hugs

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 10:03:26 am »
Jan:

Yes, Hotel de Cortes does look a bit pricey (and much pricier than when I was last there). Besides, it looks as if the hotel is booked through much of that weekend, likely due to post-International AIDS Conference programs and tourism.

Sorry 'bout that!

Tim

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 11:29:10 am »
I'm sorry to report that the Ritz Carlton will not be open in MC until 2010.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 11:57:05 am »
The Maria Cristina sounds nice, as does the Holiday Inn that Tim mentioned.  To me, internet access is MUCH more important than a pool - who has even had time to think about swimming at the previous AMG's?  Even though I'm not on call at work, I still need to be able to be in touch via internet.  The M.C. has internet access, but it's additional at $12 per day.  I believe the Holiday Inn includes it, which might make the rates better.  I'm going to hold off on voting 'til I get a bit more info on the H.I.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 12:02:45 pm »
I'm sorry to report that the Ritz Carlton will not be open in MC until 2010.

>:(

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 01:41:30 pm »
I always seem to agree with David (well, he really is quite agreeable!)  Internet access is a "must have" for me. I will delay voting so that we can get some better information regarding internet access and the Holiday Inn with the fabulous rooftop breakfast view.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 03:11:58 pm »
Forget books on the Aztecs you silly queens.  This is all you need for your trip:

http://www.amazon.com/Zona-Rosa-Strippers-Christian-Miranda/dp/B000BKLB4S/ref=cm_lmf_img_25_rdssss0

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 03:24:19 pm »
I just reveived word that the Hotel Maria Cristina has no rooms available until the morning of the 9th...but as far as we know the Holiday Inn does have rooms available for the dates we have locked in..so we just need to get our heads together again on that one.

Please bear with us.

Hugs

Offline ademas

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 09:20:42 pm »
http://www.hotelesdelangel.com/pagina/delangel/ingangeldesc.htm

I've stayed here 3 times.  Twice it was perfect.  I mentioned it in an earlier thread, but I thought I'd throw it out here again (since Jan mentioned that the Hotel Maria Christina is unavailable).  It's very inexpensive ($47 per night), and adequate for me.  I just don't know how picky y'all are...

The location is good.  It's about the same distance from La Zona Rosa as the Hotel Maria Christina (3-4 blocks), and the area is good.  A decent restaurant on the 11th floor, and another off the hotel lobby.  Rooms are spacious and have all the amenities I need.  It didn't have internet access that I recall, but there are so many internet cafes around, and they're very cheap.

Anyway...it's not nearly as nice as the Marco Polo that I mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's not as expensive, either. 

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-376536-hotel_del_angel-i  (more pictures and reviews)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 09:37:52 pm by ademas »

Offline Dennis

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 11:34:28 pm »
Here a a few larger hotel everyone may want to check-out.  If anyone is familiar with any of these please feel free to chime in. Internet rates are averaging around $125 per night.  I think a larger hotel is going to be more likely to offer a group rate as well as cater to many of the needs of our group.  The possibility of having our meet and greet on site is also more likely.

Fiesta American Reforma

http://www.fiestamericana.com/portal/p/en_MX/FA/FAR/1/0/Availability/showHotelInformation.do?hotelCode=FAR&country=MX&city=22&checkInDate=08/08/2008&checkOutDate=12/08/2008&numberAdults=2&numberChildren=0&numberMajor=&numberKids=&numberRooms=1&iata=&promotion=&group=&agreement=&idioma=en_MX&marca=FA

Eurostar Zona Rosa Suites

http://www.eurostarshotels.com/EN/hotels-in-mexico-mexico-df-eurostars-zona-rosa-suites.html

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 12:40:57 am »
Hi Dennis

Good to see you back on board with this.

Both Hotels look good as well as others that have been mentioned..we are looking for the best prices possible of course but comfort, amenities and location are also important.

I couldn't find the prices for the Eurostar Zona Rosa..but I was having trouble getting into the site anyway.

Thanks again Dennis, if anyone can get us a good deal at a good hotel it would be you.

Hugs

Offline Dennis

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008, 12:57:16 am »
Sorry I dissappeared.  I'll be back in Florida within the week and will be able to devote more time to AMG.  I know everyone is anxious, and that's a good sign!  You all have decided on dates, so people can proceed with with requesting vacation and booking flights.  We still have plenty of time to choose a hotel that will suit our needs.  I'd hate to see us rush on choosing a hotel only to be dissapointed with our decision. 

I recommend the continuing discussion of hotel choices.  I'd like to request everyone do a quick google search and post one or two hotels you've found so others can review and give their feedback.  Once I'm back in Florida I'll go back through this thread and choose a few that received the most attention from the group and obtain group rates.  We can then set up a poll at that time for the group to choose this years hotel.

What does everyone think?

Offline Robert

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2008, 02:04:11 am »
What does everyone think?

Well, I don't know about everybody else but I know I think it's just great that you're back!

robert

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2008, 02:24:39 am »
Hi Dennis

That sounds fine to me..thanks again.

Hugs

Offline mjmel

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 03:19:41 am »
Well, I don't know about everybody else but I know I think it's just great that you're back!

robert

Agreed!

In this last week, I've developed a keen insight and respect for the amount of effort it takes to pull off an Aids Meds Gathering.
Lots of work and organizational skills involved and not easily coordinated for the inexperienced, that's for sure.
The availability of hotels and negotiating group rate, the dedicated T-shirts, the Meet & Greet night...the Hors D'eorves & beverages...etc, etc, etc.
Providing this link to the Zona Rosa area which was indicated as preferred area. Availability due to IAC would be pending...but gives us an idea of the different hotels in that sector of the city. Hotels in Zona Rosa: http://mexico.city.hotelguide.net/hl1zr.htm
Mike
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:12:45 am by mjmel »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 04:24:10 pm »
Sounds good to me Dennis.  Good seeing you in the forums again.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 06:24:50 pm »
I looked at the hotel that ademas gave a link to and it looked REALLY nice.  Every room has a balcony, satellite / cable TV, telephones, mini-bar, fridge, maid service (no dirty jokes :P), and it does have free in-room broadband.  So, if your laptop has broadband capability, you'll have internet. Our's does.  If we are able to go (and we're really trying) then we'd be glad to share (for the proper chocolate bar ;D) And, I like the price: $45!  It says it also says it has meeting rooms avaliable. 

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 06:40:41 pm »
Here a a few larger hotel everyone may want to check-out.  If anyone is familiar with any of these please feel free to chime in. Internet rates are averaging around $125 per night.  I think a larger hotel is going to be more likely to offer a group rate as well as cater to many of the needs of our group.  The possibility of having our meet and greet on site is also more likely.

Fiesta American Reforma

http://www.fiestamericana.com/portal/p/en_MX/FA/FAR/1/0/Availability/showHotelInformation.do?hotelCode=FAR&country=MX&city=22&checkInDate=08/08/2008&checkOutDate=12/08/2008&numberAdults=2&numberChildren=0&numberMajor=&numberKids=&numberRooms=1&iata=&promotion=&group=&agreement=&idioma=en_MX&marca=FA

Eurostar Zona Rosa Suites

http://www.eurostarshotels.com/EN/hotels-in-mexico-mexico-df-eurostars-zona-rosa-suites.html

If we're looking at that price range, my brother recently stayed at the Sheraton in the Zona Rosa and it's slightly cheaper at $110.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=259

Offline ademas

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 10:59:53 pm »
Keep in mind that hotels in Mexico City have a fairly high VAT tax--15%, if I remember right--which isn't normally included in the price they quote.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 12:24:21 am »
Currently 17%

Keep in mind that hotels in Mexico City have a fairly high VAT tax--15%, if I remember right--which isn't normally included in the price they quote.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 12:38:45 am »
OK Everyone.  I need your help.  I need anyone and everyone who will be attending AMG in Mexico City to please research hotels and post the link to at least one hotel in this thread so I may follow up and request space.  I have contacted 4 of the hotels listed already and have gotten the same reply from all of them...No rooms available...Entire city is busy at that time...Aids Convention in town.

So, if you want AMG to remain during the dates chosen please assist me and do your homework ;D

Thanks
Dennis

Offline allanq

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 02:08:51 am »
Would it be feasible to start the AMG the day after the conference ends -- on Saturday, August 9th?

We've already heard that rooms are available at the Maria Cristina starting August 9th, and I would think the same situation would be true at other popular hotels in Mexico City.

Allan

Offline mjmel

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 05:54:00 am »
Would it be feasible to start the AMG the day after the conference ends -- on Saturday, August 9th?

We've already heard that rooms are available at the Maria Cristina starting August 9th, and I would think the same situation would be true at other popular hotels in Mexico City.

Allan

Arriving on a Saturday?
Actually, it's an idea we should consider. Adjustment of only one day would not be a big deal to most, I think. The suggestion would open the Maria Cristina Hotel as an option and it's a cool spot for us.
It's still feasible in our planning stage.
Mike

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2008, 07:09:42 am »
re changing the date by one day - this could quite substantially affect people's flight prices. eg for me it takes them from an already huge £800 to nearly £900!! but i dont know if would be the same for you guys coming from the states - maybe it is worth taking a look?

had a quick look on hotels.com searching for the max rooms it would let me (8) on the fri checking out on the 12th. came up with wquite a few - eg san marino hotel suites, mission express zona rosa, hotel prim, hotel fontan. sorry i dont know where they are and where we want to be!

sorry i didnt have time to take a proper look as i am at work and now need to go to uni all aft & eve.

if someone has the time to register a request with hotels.com they will search for us for a group booking.

edited to add - nice to see you again dennis xxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline bosco

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2008, 09:07:05 am »
I voted for the Maria C., although I did like the looks of the MarcoPolo better...
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 09:23:27 am »
I have contacted the Maria and although they have rooms available their occupancy will not permit them to offer a group rate that weekend.   So yes, they have rooms available but will not hold them.  This means everyone would be responsible for booking their own room and whatever rate is available as well as taking the chance rooms will be available at the time they are ready to book. 

Keep in mind, if the conference ends on Saturday there is still going to be an overflow of attendees staying through the weekend.  The best thing for us to do is to research larger hotels with 100 rooms or more working our way out from the center of where the convention is being held.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2008, 10:49:01 am »
Arriving on a Saturday?
Actually, it's an idea we should consider. Adjustment of only one day would not be a big deal to most, I think. The suggestion would open the Maria Cristina Hotel as an option and it's a cool spot for us.
It's still feasible in our planning stage.
Mike

Arriving on Saturday vs Thursday makes it a bit more difficult to schedule time off work for us.  We can miss a couple days one week and a couple the next week much easier.  Plus, I personally would like to have settled in by Saturday, not on Saturday.  That's usually a good night to go out, for those of us who are interested in doing so.  It seems that the price difference for flights can be an issue, too, as Englishgirl has pointed out.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dennis

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2008, 11:04:39 am »
I just sent a request to the Holiday mentioned above.  I'll report back what they say.  This looks like a nice hotel.  The rooftop terrace looks very appealing for our meet and greet.  I'm unure about the area.  Anybody have any additional feedback about this hotel?

Offline mjmel

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 03:22:44 am »
Holiday Inn: The area (Zocalo/The Square) is a busy touristy area by day and, in sharp contrast, quiet at night. There are some nice hotels ($ to $$$$) located here. In contrast to daytime activities it seems they roll up the streets and put them away at night. By day full of vendors and tourists and also has a good amount of restaurants and bars and a subway stop nearby (within two blks.). There will be locals vendors selling their homemade delicacies (which is normally safe if the cart looks clean and the food smells delicious) and likely a burger king or the likes as well as well-recommended restaurants, shops, and music in the streets.
Getting around for nightlife from one spot to another means using a taxi. It's just the way it's going to be there. Look at it as part of experience of being in Mexico City--like $100-$200 pesos cover charges for men at many nightclubs (seldom a cover charge for women). Use a cab. OK? No subway at night; use authorized taxi's only. Don't stoll alone at night is the rule. This area, Zocalo, is not known to be particularly dangerous or crime ridden--except for where there are tourist dollars there are pickpockets and that sort.

Speaking for myself, I would book a room at the Holiday Inn. It's not the Ritz by any means. After researching a good bit, I feel it's good area. The rooftop terrace does sound way cool. I'm thinking it's always open to all hotel guest as it's part of the ambiance of the hotel.

Any input from others?

Mike
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:31:46 am by mjmel »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2008, 04:56:40 am »
Whatever we can get booked into if fine by me, as long as the room is clean, has a good comfortable bed, a decent shower and has coffee in the rooms (I need my morning coffee)..if the Holiday Inn can offer me that then it's ok with me.

Hugs

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2008, 02:47:09 pm »
I just wanted to give a quick update on the hotel situation.  I am still waiting on a proposal from the Holiday Inn.  Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with the hotel directly due to the telephone costs involved and language barrier.  I'm having to work through their Accor Hotels Central Meetings booking office who is acting as the liason.

Thanks
Dennis

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.