Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:17:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Youth Pastor Tim Presents: How to Minister to Gay People  (Read 10286 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Youth Pastor Tim Presents: How to Minister to Gay People
« on: July 10, 2007, 11:43:38 pm »
Dear Members of the Flock,

I rejoice in bringing you the following.  It is a 30 minute instructional video starring Kirk Cameron on how to steer lost little mo's back into the fold.  Shot in San Fransisco, I felt it a timely lesson as we prepare for our own mission into Sodom.

Praise!

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=23ee92b285b362c916ca
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: Youth Pastor Tim Presents: How to Minister to Gay People
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:00:16 am »
Is this where all suck ass actors go to make a buck?

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:15:50 am »
The new Pope says Kirky and his kind are all fluff anyway. I guess that means you too Pastor Tim

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2056515.ece

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:05:57 am »
I love how following the Ten Commandments is the sole criterion for being a "good person."

This whole vid was a real meeting of the minds.  Idiots interviewing idiots. 

All of this makes me quite happy that I have a large academic interest in ethics, philosophy, and theology... the fact that Kirk Cameron can convince some "out and proud" homos that they're going to Hell with a bunch of specious, circular arguments makes a great case for liberal arts education.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:55:43 am »
I watched 5 mins of the total 28 mins. I was really pleased with the first 5 gay interviewees comments. 
If someone wants to throw the words of the Bible at me (always in judgemental fashion) I am quick to show I am not pleased.
I don't buy this business that the Bible is the Word of God verbatim.
I won't put Christ out of my heart....not for gays nor for Christians.
Just commenting.
xxx,
Mike

(amended post for clarity.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:05:09 am by mjmel »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:39:04 pm »
I thought the transsexual was fabulous...."Let's just stop this interview right here!"

Honestly, I was just so stunned hearing Kirk Cameron prattle on like he did that I posted as a knee-jerk reaction.  I had heard that he had gone fundamentalist in recent years, but hearing it straight from the horse's ass was a different experience altogether.  It's kind of funny how this is billed as ministering to gay people in an non-offensive way.  Sounds like the same old lines to me.  Particularly funny in the most deliciously twisted way was hearing Kirk and crew speak of the perils of lying to one's self.    Ummm......never mind.   ::)

Blessed Be!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »
And for allo:  I guess the photo below sums it all up.

[attachment deleted by admin]
AIDS isn't for sissies.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:02:44 pm »
I thought the transsexual was fabulous...."Let's just stop this interview right here!"

Honestly, I was just so stunned hearing Kirk Cameron prattle on like he did that I posted as a knee-jerk reaction.  I had heard that he had gone fundamentalist in recent years, but hearing it straight from the horse's ass was a different experience altogether.  It's kind of funny how this is billed as ministering to gay people in an non-offensive way.  Sounds like the same old lines to me.  Particularly funny in the most deliciously twisted way was hearing Kirk and crew speak of the perils of lying to one's self.    Ummm......never mind.   ::)

Blessed Be!

I liked how the TS stood her ground and didn't fly off the handle. All the interviewees as a matter of fact. What I didn't care for were Kirk's assumptions. How does he know someone's relationship with Jesus? A few quick [railroad] questions simply don't cut it. But he did make interesting analogies. I'm glad I watched. Oh yeah, true dat wit' da bling. Homey-stromey is livin' large

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:08:07 pm »
I've learned that I am only a commandment or two from total damnation (although I admit that I suspected that to be the case for some time now).

I've lied, lusted in the heart....and I've definitely coveted my neighbor's ass...

Is it getting warm in here or is it just me?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 01:08:22 pm »
Actually, there is a very interesting sociological change that this video represents.

Namely, that a video produced by fundamentalists regarding homosexuality twenty or even ten years ago would have used the words "abomination," "perversion," and "demon-possessed" a lot more often.  They would have also solely focused on faggotry as if it was some uniquely horrible sin.

The fact that the producers of this video, while still coming from the same place theologically, realize that they aren't going to convince anyone with outright homophobia anymore.  These steadfast Christian soldiers are bowing to the winds of the culture at large and including homosexuality among a list of sins rather than focusing on just it.  They have also taken the rather remarkable step of interviewing Sodomites themselves, rather than focusing completely on the ridiculous behavior of liver-scarred drag queens at a pride parade. 

Does this make the video progressive?  Of course not.

However, it does show that American culture has changed enough to the point where they know that they convince and convert with outright bigotry anymore. 

In that respect, this battle in the Culture Wars is being won.

Hooray for us.

I wish they'd interviewed me, though.  Believe me when I say I wouldn't have been rhetorically tripping over myself like those lame faggots.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 01:24:48 pm »
Damn I'm in big trouble.
My heart is bad.
I have lusted and I've whacked off so many watching Kirk, I can't count them and I still think he's cute today. I think I have to go toss one again while I have his vision in my head.

Offline lotuslander

• The Poz that refreshes.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 03:02:45 pm »
There's a Nightline moderated debate on evolution vs creationism on YouTube. It's entertaining in that Kirk and his buddy go up against representatives of a group called Rational Response, who aren't having any of that God stuff and don't succumb to the badgering our Silly Sisters in San Franciso did. And of course, it's unedited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o65mjKTRm6E&mode=related&search=

This is part one.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 04:14:42 pm »
Am i the only one who found it scripted and fake?

I'll admit that I shut it down after fewer than five minutes. When the first guy says that he was "married for a bit, didn't work, so I thought I'd try women" (like a cashmere sweater?) I smelled an artificial argument where all the talking points can be brought out.

Kirk's attitude doesn't surprise me. Child actors are generally pretty fucked up. There's something about show biz that just twists people's thinking, especially the young.

Brent
(Who finds shilling for Christ distasteful)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 05:27:18 pm »
I'm going to take this whole issue one big step farther.    This is my view on  religion.

Religion, of any denomination, sect or ilk, is the basis of nearly all that's evil on our lovely planet.  Religion is not here to make anything better, it's only purpose to divide and separate us.  We're the chosen people, you're not.  Our God is the real God, yours is false and profane.  Although we must show love and compassion for other members of our own religion, those of any other can be killed, tortured, and maimed because they're infidels.  Religion, at its very heart, means I'm right and you're wrong, or you're right and I'm wrong, but someone's always got to be wrong.
          I say that religion is the pretext for evil on our planet.  Religion is the method whereby humans can rationalize their awful behavior to other humans and pawn it off as good deeds.

Rich
(who does not believe in any gods)

[attachment deleted by admin]
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »

MtD

Offline lotuslander

• The Poz that refreshes.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 06:13:49 pm »
Now you've got me started.

I can only speak about Christianity but I do know that it's is a construct of man, not God. It is a form of government. It was the first form of government. Way back when in the Middle Ages, the Pope was the last word. It was based on greed and empire building. It was a vast fortune. Those who had the money paid to have a pope installed. Forgiveness for sins was sold. Originally, priests were not celibate; they married like anyone else. The church forbade marriage because whatever wealth the priest had when he died could then go to the church, not his family. If you spoke out against the church, you were executed.

I don't know how, but we were born with the need for love and the capacity to give love. It's when someone tries to qualify or quantify that that we get religion.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 06:59:52 pm »
Now you've got me started.

I can only speak about Christianity but I do know that it's is a construct of man, not God. It is a form of government. It was the first form of government. Way back when in the Middle Ages, the Pope was the last word. It was based on greed and empire building. It was a vast fortune. Those who had the money paid to have a pope installed. Forgiveness for sins was sold. Originally, priests were not celibate; they married like anyone else. The church forbade marriage because whatever wealth the priest had when he died could then go to the church, not his family. If you spoke out against the church, you were executed.

I don't know how, but we were born with the need for love and the capacity to give love. It's when someone tries to qualify or quantify that that we get religion.

Lotie-

Not to nitpick darling, but Xtianity was built on the crumbling ruins of the Roman Empire. Civilization's beginning keeps getting pushed further and further back, but they've located settlements in Turkey that go back over 10,000 years. Government's been around as long as someone's had a possession they felt was worth protecting, so that dates back more than 100,000 years, perhaps much much more.

But the kind of evangelical protestant xtianity that Kirk & pal does such a good job of shilling for comes from the Puritans who settled Massachusetts in the early 17th Century and has, alas been with us from the beginning of the US. They were persecuted in England because they were batshit crazy. Even the Dutch found them out of whack. They came to our country after having been driven out of Europe.

There's been a lot of patriotic air-brushing since the 19th Century, when Romantic types were looking for heroes. But never forget that these were  bigoted insufferable fools who exiled mothers into the wilderness for heresy and who killed men and women in the superstitious belief that they were practicing witchcraft for decades after they'd arrived.

Brent
(Who grew up just north of Plymouth)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 07:18:16 pm »
Quite right, Brent.  And it only makes sense that the Catholic Church would have become a de facto form of government during the decline and collapse of Roman administration in Western Europe. Catholic hierarchy is based on old Roman imperial hierarchy, and the Church was the only institution with any legitmacy and credibility in what had been the Western Roman Empire by 500 CE. 

It was quite a chaotic time... essentially knocked that part of Europe to a level of economic simplicity that it hadn't seen since the Iron Age.  And really, we can thank the Church for copying all those ancient books, poems, laws, philosophies, and ideas of the Greek and Roman civilizations... the ones that influence us today and stuff.  The Germanic peoples burned or lost those documents, Christian monks copied them.

Now, of course... the idea of a religion constituting government is nothing short of ridiculous.  But this is now, not 1500 years ago.

And yes, Kirk's brand of Christianity would probably be unrecognizable to even the "heretics" of the Late Roman Empire... who disagreed with the Roman church... but weren't completely batshit insane like the fundies.

Benj
(Who owns more books on this historical period than should be allowed.)

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 06:02:15 pm »
Does anyone else feel as unsettled as I do that Kirk chose to give an interview while driving on Bay area roads?  :o
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 06:35:46 pm »
I watched as much as I could ..about 10 mins... then decided this was way too much propaganda and one sided BS to listen any more.....I think that any "celebrity" who uses their notoriety to push this type of pseudo "love your neighbor" stuff is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for a cause...   especially since the underlying message is so clear..."gay is wrong" ..no matter how many words and modifiers are used that is the message...
To  Hold the "bible" as your guide is such a shallow sales pitch...that book has been rewritten, edited and "interpreted" dozens of times in many languages.....most of the original texts that were used to "create the bible" have not been widely studied or accurately translated.....Of course the constant reference here is to the "new testament"  conveniently ignoring the earlier "Old testament" ( except for the 10 commandments )  writings and the long history of Buddhism , and the many oriental dieties that are widely accepted by a majority of the world population....
Overall I think this guy is a jerk trying to regain some sort of standing in a "film" or as a "reporter" since he can't be a "child star" any longer.
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 06:52:07 pm »
I admit I didn't watch much of the clip. I've come to the conclusion discussing religion between people of different belief systems just isn't very productive. It just gets people riled up. No one is going to convince me that Jesus is my savior and I'm not going to convince anyone of faith that Jesus isn't their savior, and I don't even want to try to do that. For me it doesn't have anything to do with homosexuality. I don't agree with many core Christian values and I don't agree about the nature of the human experience. It's a pointless argument and the best we can do is agree to disagree.

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 07:35:21 pm »
Overall I think this guy is a jerk trying to regain some sort of standing in a "film" or as a "reporter" since he can't be a "child star" any longer.

I disagree. I think Klueless Kirk is a good boy at heart, he's just, well, clueless. I think his current standing in film is starring in Christian movies, mostly of the Left Behind series

So in the video it said the effeminate won't get to Heaven. Who's gonna break the news to poor Simon Cowell?  :D

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 10:00:59 pm »

So in the video it said the effeminate won't get to Heaven.

So then I take it that effeminate straight guys are doomed, and butch gay guys will make it through the Pearly Gates?
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 12:04:47 am »
Ugh, that was like choking on regurgitation.

I wonder though, "a man should not lay with another man as he lay with a women," sounds more like one should do group sex or three ways...

This also does not address hermaphrodites.  If you are born with a penis and a vagina or parts thereof, what then?  I guess you just fuck yourself. 

Drew

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 11:47:26 pm »

So then I take it that effeminate straight guys are doomed, and butch gay guys will make it through the Pearly Gates?

This also does not address hermaphrodites.  If you are born with a penis and a vagina or parts thereof, what then?  I guess you just fuck yourself. 

lol you guys

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 11:57:11 pm »

I think in that case, you become a perpetual motion machine... eternally bouncing between the gates of heaven and hell... can't get into one on a technicality... got of the other on a technicality. 

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 03:04:20 pm »
to note aupoint: Benedict says there's no more limbo.  You have to park yourself somewhere.  I'd opt for Paris.

Offline JDP3

• Gomez, are you miserable, my darling? Completely.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 07:48:43 pm »
Jesus, protect me from your faithful.
"There is no beginning.  There is no end.  There is only the infinite passion of life."   -Frederico Fellini

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 10:04:53 pm »
http://www.ucccoalition.org/

At the United Church of Christ, we love you just the way you are.

God made Adam.  God made Eve.  And, Steve, too.

So stop broadly condemning all Christianity with such a broad brush - 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 10:09:17 pm »
United Church of Christ? That's not a REAL church, it's paint-by-numbers, make-your-own-rules-as-you-go-along diet christianity for those who can't deal with the fact that homosexuality is prohibited by the Bible.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.