Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 338
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Iran's HIV research?  (Read 15455 times)

Offline J220

Iran's HIV research?
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:51:47 pm »
Hi, I picked this up at Lilachat, someone posted this (http://www.payvand.com/news/06/sep/1070.html). Has anyone heard of this before?:

Iran's Health Minister to unveil breakthrough in AIDS cure 

Tehran, Sept 5, IRNA-Iran's Minister of Health and Medical Education Kamran Baqeri Lankarani will unveil a breakthrough achieved by Iranian scientists to cure the deadly epidemic of AIDS later in the day.

According to Health Ministry officials, Iranian scientists have invented a formula to control symptoms of AIDS.

"The research studies to find out a formula to cure AIDS was initiated during the tenure of two former health ministers and have led to useful results," a health official said.

Former minister of health and medical education Mohammad Farhadi who served as executive director of the project for 'a formula for reinvigorating the immunity system of the body' told IRNA that the project led to the discovery of a formula to control symptoms of AIDS and some other virus-oriented infections.

"A new theory was sponsored in the past five years to invent a formula with herbal and chemical materials to help treat patients who are suffering from weak immunity system.

An extensive team comprised of scientists and researchers were designated to conduct research studies on the subject.

"The theory was to determine whether or not it is possible to boost the immunity system of the body. Some 60 projects were initiated to attain the result," Dr. Farhadi said.

"At last the scientists found out a formula and then experimental works were carried out on animals at the laboratory to determine the effects of the formula."

Dr. Farhadi said that the Ministry of Health and Medical Education granted permission for clinical application of the formula on the patients afterwards.

He said that this is the first time that Iran has invented the formula and will register it with the respective international forum.

"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline arbex3

Re: Iran's HIV research?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 05:00:35 am »
Hi J220, i posted that link, an these are the other two links in the same thread.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8506140414

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8506140346

It would be a great thing but i do not believe it.

Bye

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:36:44 am »
Control symptoms? Cure? There seems to be a lot of contradiction here...Is it a nuclear cure? All HIV+ people exposed to a nuclear explosion and AIDS is over!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline denniss

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 04:28:13 pm »
they probably mean the complications (AIDS) as a result of HIV are controlled/cured but the virus still remains in the body.

if this was done in another country, say US, it would make sense - right?

Offline Brussels28

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 04:50:13 am »
Guys,

I really think that we should not be Sceptical about the Iranians… this is a real developed country & they have high levels of education… their health system is also advanced

Iran has a real problem with HIV / Aids, as there are many infections occurring there through drugs injections. That’s why the country health system is looking seriously into finding a cure / control of this virus.

For me, weather this control / cure in the future is coming from US or Iran, it doesn’t matter…
After all we are all humans, & we are all equal once we are sick!

Historical information give credibility to Muslims in the medical fields… maybe they can prove that again this century.. I hope!

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 02:29:31 pm »
i just heard of this news on a radio broadcast that isnt sure what to make of this? could this really be true? the radio personal were talking about the politicians in iran getting this news out to the rest of the world.keep all eyes on this one!

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 03:50:44 pm »
I am very curious about the announcement that the Iranian Government is supposed to make soon (hopefully) about this "miraculous medicine."  And although I still remain skeptical about the whole thing, I also have some reasons to believe that Iranians scientists are more than capable of creating great things. 
Let us keep in mind that Persia has a long history in the field of Science and Technology!  It was, after all, the cradle of Science during earlier times. How many people know that Persia founded Algebra, invented Wind-power Machine and discovered Alcohol?
Iranian scientists, today, make for a significant portion of the International Scientific community.  France, for example, is one of the places where they come to get an education.  In the United States, in the city of Carlson (Nevada), we have "Tehrangeles" which is by far the largest Iranian diaspora in the world!
In addition, Iranian scientists have proved in the past how skilled they can be.  For example, in 1960, Ali Javan invented the first gas laser! In 1973, fuzzy set theory has been developed by Lofti Zadeh. Artificial heart was invented by Iranian Cardiologist Tofy Mussivand!  Also, HbA1c was discovered by Samuel Rahbar and introduced to the medical community...
Vafa-Witten theorem was proposed by Cumrun Vafa, Iranian string theorist and his co-worker Edward Witten.  KPZ Equation has been named after Mehran Kardar, notable Iranian physicist.
Recently, we have  had also some representative discoveries and innovations by Iranian scientists throughout the world. Take, for example, Karin Nayernia.  He discovered the Spermatozonial stem cells.  Resa Ghadiri, in 1998, won The Feynnan Prize for the invention of a self-organized replicating molecular system!  And Mehdi Vaez invented the Shear Force Microcospy!
Hopefully, what they are announcing about this new molecule will be some kind of revolution in the scientificl world. Anyway, I do cross my fingers hoping for the best!

Val
___
___
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:00:53 pm by Val »
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 04:55:12 pm »
if this is true we must stay on this progress.

Offline john

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:58:49 pm »
I hope with all my being that there is some truth to this, but I can't help but believe every newspaper and radio show would be buzzing if this were the truth. I remain skeptical but hopeful.
Jon be good

Offline bobino

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 12:39:08 am »

Just as I am skeptical of the claims made in China's People's Daily, I am skeptical of what looks to be an announcement by Iran's state-controlled media.  Obviously, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so we will have to wait until the announcement is made and the research is subjected to peer review. 

That said, I honestly don't care where progress comes from, be it from the People's Republic of China or the Islamic Republic of Iran.  If the mullahs have a drug that will stop the progress of this disease, then I will thank them.
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Brussels28

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 05:25:24 am »
Just one question: the article posted on Sep 5
we are no Sep 12
where is the minister announcement then?

Offline arbex3

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 12:14:54 pm »
hi,
Here is another link talking about Iranian drug scp

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8506220439
Bye

Offline LOVELIFE

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 12:56:55 pm »
THAT IS GREAT AND IF WE ALL STAY ON TOP OF THIS SOME TRUTH WILL COME OF THIS IM SURE. ITS FUNNY HOW I HAVE READ SO MANY ARTICLES LATLY THAT ALWAYS USE SELENIUM TO HELP THE BATTLE OF HIV. DR FOSTER HAS BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS THAT THE BIG COMPANIES DENIE THE SELENIUM DUE TO THE FACT THE COST IS SO CHEAP!!!! DR FOSTER SWEARS BY THIS CHEAP OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCT

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 01:04:39 pm »
Life,

What part of do NOT post in the other forums don't you understand? You are NOT hiv positive and have no business posting in this forum.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J220

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 01:41:31 pm »
Notice how the tone of the articles have changed...first it was a "cure", then a "treatement" now it's just a Selenium-based natural supplement that can boost the immune system...while we all have hopes that it's something useful, I'm afraid that this is just bull-crap...
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 04:09:08 pm »
Notice how the tone of the articles have changed...first it was a "cure", then a "treatement" now it's just a Selenium-based natural supplement that can boost the immune system...while we all have hopes that it's something useful, I'm afraid that this is just bull-crap...

I dont want to be a "downer" either but in regards to any of these supposed "breakthroughs" be very skeptical until you find out what scientific journal has published the results of their pre-clinical or clinical studies.  Any breakthroughs will be published in top tier scientific journals so that they can go through the peer review process to validate the author's findings.

Generally the major news outlets try to be as accurate as possible with their reporting but they often get it wrong -so take them with a grain of salt too........ie) CNN, BBC etc etc

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 04:42:24 pm »
On the last press release there was also the word "Magic"...Is Santa Claus delivering the treatment to each of our homes?

"Iran announced a week ago that its scientists have made a magic success by synthesizing a new drug which can control the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome know as the killer AIDS."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 04:44:30 pm by blondbeauty »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 06:44:51 am »
While I don't want to be dismissive because of the fact it is Iran, I can't. They just killed a young girl because she was morally corrupt- i.e. an orphan.  AS well as two teen age boys for engaging in homosexual behavior
. Iran is trying hard to show Islam can work in the modern world as it is busy protesting every week on the streets because something in the West has offended them. Between this and the 5 prayers a day how can they get anything done?
Since the people who contract HIV  are going to end up stoned because Islam is against drugs, unlawful  str8sex and homosexuality, I wonder who were the test group.
Personally I think many of the claims from the Islamic world were stolen from the cultures that islam conquered.
The pagan Egyptians had beer, brewing and fermenting is very closly related to making bread which came way before mohammed ran off with a six year old.
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline bobino

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 05:08:37 pm »

I'm not trying to defend the validity of any of this supposed research, but the fact that the press release uses terms like "magic" probably has more to do with poor translation from Farsi than anything else. 

Still, I'm very suspicious of any claims made by Iran on this score.  As I've said before, I'll believe it when their researchers submit their findings (if any) for peer review in the appropriate scholarly journals.  Until then, to me it's just another snake oil claim.

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Brussels28

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 06:08:21 am »
While I don't want to be dismissive because of the fact it is Iran, I can't. They just killed a young girl because she was morally corrupt- i.e. an orphan.  AS well as two teen age boys for engaging in homosexual behavior
. Iran is trying hard to show Islam can work in the modern world as it is busy protesting every week on the streets because something in the West has offended them. Between this and the 5 prayers a day how can they get anything done?
Since the people who contract HIV  are going to end up stoned because Islam is against drugs, unlawful  str8sex and homosexuality, I wonder who were the test group.
Personally I think many of the claims from the Islamic world were stolen from the cultures that islam conquered.
The pagan Egyptians had beer, brewing and fermenting is very closly related to making bread which came way before mohammed ran off with a six year old.

Well I don't think that this is right place to write racist issues
I think you better go and study more about Islam.... & For your information Drgus, sex out of marrigae and homosexuality are not only forbidden in islam, but also in all the other religions...
Now we are all in one line trying to fight HIV.. & it deosn't matter what color or rielgion we have.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.