Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:05:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 657
Total: 658

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Going to my doctor in a few...  (Read 5811 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Going to my doctor in a few...
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:48:12 pm »
... my health insurance goes kaput in a few days (thank you, work), so I'm rushing to the doctor today to get as many med samples as I can get my filthy, dirty hands on... as well as to try and see if I can get a three month prescription for Sustiva and Truvada... because they're on my formulary, but Atripla isn't.

I'm going to be late for work, but seeing as how this is all their fault... I'm not really inclined to worry about it that much.

Wish me luck!

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Going to my doctor in a few...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:50:11 pm »
steal that roll of paper they use to cover the beds.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:56:41 pm »
steal that roll of paper they use to cover the beds.

I've always wanted some of that!

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:20:52 pm »
I've always wanted some of that!

for what usage?
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:25:01 pm »
for what usage?

If I told you, then My Evil Plan to take over the world would be known to all.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:50:21 pm »
Good luck with the doc and the prescriptions!!  I'll be chanting for several hours to help assure success. 

Call that damned job and tell them you're sick!!  Or have Bubble call them for you.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »
So things aren't too bad except once the samples run out you have to pay the first $2k for meds?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 01:59:52 pm »
So things aren't too bad except once the samples run out you have to pay the first $2k for meds?

I'm trying to get a three month prescription to fill before the 1 Mar deadline.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 02:29:10 pm »
90 days goes so fast...no word on ADAP etc from the ASO?

Offline Maestro

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 02:45:41 pm »
Would you happen to have Horizon Healthcare of NY?  That is who my Uncle has and they are going out of business as well at the end of this month.

M

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 03:12:29 pm »
Hmm, funny how companies are starting to go belly up. Here in the lovely commonwealth of Pa, Unison is closing it's doors. And someone had just told me about them because I need to get my peepers checked and also some new contacts. The only insurance I got right now is the Medicare card. So now I must journey to find out how I'm going to get my eyes taken care of.

Good Luck with that 3 month prescription, Benj. I hope it works out for you. If not let me know via PM.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 04:13:20 pm »
OK... I got the 90 Rx written... huzzah!

I'll be picking it up on Saturday... my parents have graciously agreed to help me with the massive copays on two three month prescriptions. 

Thank God.

But even though my situation is still crap vis-a-vis health insurance... it's helped me enormously to have actually done something about it today.  I feel a bit more like I'm in charge of the situation.

Plus, it's a really really nice day outside... the first warm-ish day in weeks... and sunny... people were about, and it was just a perfect day to be outside.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 05:14:10 pm »
I'm chanting continuously until Saturday afternoon to make your full 90 day prescription ready.

I don't want any PMs, email, phone calls, or any other distractions until after 4PM CST Saturday. 

Someone please alert the media!!

Thanks,

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 05:19:52 pm »
Sounds like things are looking a bit better on the med front have you heard anymore about getting ADAP assistance?  I know what you mean about the weather as well we had a few really sunny days here last week I can't wait for summer now!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 05:22:49 pm »
In Ye Olde Greate And Glorioufs Commonweal of Virginia... one must be completely without insurance to qualify for ADAP.

Craptacular insurance counts as having insurance.

Yeah.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 05:44:56 pm »
In Ye Olde Greate And Glorioufs Commonweal of Virginia... one must be completely without insurance to qualify for ADAP.

Ahh right.....whats the plan now then?  Job change?
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 06:07:20 pm »
1) Marry me for insurance coverage!  (Alas, I'm not French-Canadian...)

2) I could adopt you and if I can prove that you are um...mentally challenged...we can get dependent care coverage...

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 06:09:26 pm »
Ahh right.....whats the plan now then?  Job change?

Yuppers!

I'm actually wanting to work for the aforementioned Greate and Glorioufs Commonweal of Virginia.  Civil service= job security with excellent benefits.

Provided... you know... the government of Virginia doesn't a) collapse or b) run out of money or c) secede again.

In all respects, we're much better off than certains of our neighbors. 

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 06:10:49 pm »
1) Marry me for insurance coverage!  (Alas, I'm not French-Canadian...)

2) I could adopt you and if I can prove that you are um...mentally challenged...we can get dependent care coverage...

Are you a Canadian citizen?  I don't give a rat's ass what language you speak!   ;D

And it would be soooooo easy to prove the mentally challenged part... just thought I'd get that in there before others did.  Yes.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 06:10:56 pm »
That information, though not unexpected, sucks.

So basically you have two choices. Three, maybe

One: quit work and go on disability so you can afford the meds and exams.

Two: Miraculously find a new job with killer insurance (fewer and farther between) or, barring that Buy your own insurance

Three: Prepare to be poor, to be spending every dime on meds and insurance gaps and lab work and exams.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 08:17:16 pm »

Two: Miraculously find a new job with killer insurance (fewer and farther between) or, barring that Buy your own insurance

Three: Prepare to be poor, to be spending every dime on meds and insurance gaps and lab work and exams.

I'm afraid that in my health condition (which is excellent), I wouldn't want to go on disability.  As much as sucking on the government's teat appeals to me... I don't think I could do that in good faith when there are a lot of people out there who actually need the public financial support.

This second option is what I am attempting to do.  By getting a job with either the state or local government.  I have the good fortune of living in a neighborhood in Richmond which is very close to most of the major state and local offices, and the benefits one gets with them as employers are excellent.

I am always prepared to be poor... seeing as I am a member of the lower middle class.   ;)

Oh, and for something completely different, there was a Macedonian nurse practitioner in training in with my doc today.  She was very nice.

And I did, planning for things to go horribly wrong, find out from my doc the best way to STOP taking Sustiva and Truvada if it comes down to that.  I hope it doesn't, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't... but at the same time, I wanted to know the best way to pull the emergency brake if I absolutely have to.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 09:03:47 pm »

Or keep his current job but have them pay him as a "consultant" without benefits.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.