Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:34:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 657
Total: 657

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV identified as the cause of AIDS 30 years ago today  (Read 2436 times)

Offline AusShep

HIV identified as the cause of AIDS 30 years ago today
« on: April 23, 2014, 03:38:45 pm »
An excerpt from the article below

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AP_WAS_THERE_AIDS_CAUSE

On April 23, 1984, the Department of Health and Human Services held a press conference to announce that the probable cause of the disease had been found - a virus that was eventually called the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV. At the meeting, government scientists said the discovery could spur work on a preventive vaccine, which could be ready for testing within two or three years.

There is still no cure or vaccine. But drugs emerged in the mid-1990s that have turned HIV from a death sentence into a manageable chronic disease for people who stick with them.

An estimated 36 million people have died of AIDS since 1981, according to the World Health Organization.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: HIV identified as the cause of AIDS 30 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »
An excerpt from the article below

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AP_WAS_THERE_AIDS_CAUSE

On April 23, 1984, the Department of Health and Human Services held a press conference to announce that the probable cause of the disease had been found - a virus that was eventually called the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV. At the meeting, government scientists said the discovery could spur work on a preventive vaccine, which could be ready for testing within two or three years.

There is still no cure or vaccine. But drugs emerged in the mid-1990s that have turned HIV from a death sentence into a manageable chronic disease for people who stick with them.

An estimated 36 million people have died of AIDS since 1981, according to the World Health Organization.

On this anniversary it is imperative to fully understand the comments I highlighted.  HIV is not a chronic illness for many folks who are strictly adherent in taking their meds.  I know, I've lost a couple of dear friends who were the epitome of a proactive patient, including meds, yet they still died.  While it may be a chronic disease for many of us, not all are so lucky and blanket statements like this, do nothing to acknowledge that fact.

I cannot relate to you the horrors my friends experienced, being told that if they did everything right, HIV would be a chronic disease for them.  They did everything right... sadly they died anyways.  Chronic indeed.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:02:11 pm by Joe K »

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:52:49 pm »
I couldn't agree more Joe.  Chronic tends to downplay that it's still a fatal disease.  With the new meds you may be able to live to a ripe old age until something totally unrelated to HIV takes you out, many still do not.

Offline pittman

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 07:46:50 am »
On this anniversary it is imperative to fully understand the comments I highlighted.  HIV is not a chronic illness for many folks who are strictly adherent in taking their meds.  I know, I've lost a couple of dear friends who were the epitome of a proactive patient, including meds, yet they still died.  While it may be a chronic disease for many of us, not all are so lucky and blanket statements like this, do nothing to acknowledge that fact.

I cannot relate to you the horrors my friends experienced, being told that if they did everything right, HIV would be a chronic disease for them.  They did everything right... sadly they died anyways.  Chronic indeed.

Joe

I totally get the biological concept of variability in response, after all, a bell curve has both an upper and a lower end to it. People die from the flu as well. You could say many do in fact, depending on how you look at it in absolute numbers or in percentage.  But with HIV there is always this dichotomy or tension between "it's a manageable, chromic condition that when treated, you can live a normal life" and "it's a serious disease that even with treatment often leads to poor outcomes including early death".

For any particular individual or their loved ones it's only important how they are responding, not how "everyone else" is doing.  But when anecdotal situations are presented in contrast to the expected norm, I always wonder about the context.

So I am curious.  I am assuming that you bring this up in the context of HAART being what your friends were on rather than older regimens. Did they have other risk factors like presenting for treatment later, or starting on the older regimens before switching?  Poor response to meds due to resistance? Complications due to serious side effects?  I ask because some of these are biological, while others are more situational.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:09:03 am »
Hi Pittman . I have had a number of friends who just didn't respond to any medications that did everything they were supposed to do . One dear friend was a doctor himself and I never saw a man more full of life or with a stronger will to live . Up until the last few months of his life he was still volunteering at health clinics he set up . They treated the uninsured out of an old Winnebago and every other weekend they had inner city clinics for transgendered people ... he felt they were medically undeserved and misunderstood in the medical community .

The few people I know who died after 96 all where doing everything in their power to live and there were no co-factors other than resistance issues and a failure to respond to treatment .

I remember that press release in 84 very well and it made me hopeful for a time . Within 5 years 9 of my close friends or the pack as we called it would be dead and I would be living in Chicago as a medical refugee seeking treatment . I cant count the people I knew and still love that died as a result of HIV even when they were responding well to meds . There was too much damage done from years living with this virus and they floundered and died .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.