Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:57:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 402
Total: 402

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Disclosing status to potential Employer?  (Read 5439 times)

Offline newbieguy

Disclosing status to potential Employer?
« on: November 19, 2010, 02:36:44 pm »
Hi guys I've been on atripla since august am am doing great, but I'm about to interview for a new part time job at an animal adoption shelter...i know that the sustiva in atripla can sometimes cause a false positive for THC, one of the components in marijuana...i do not smoke marijuana at all...should Itell my interviewer about my status in the interview and explain this to her, so she can research it for herself? How should I approach this? Because I don't want to take a drug test and then have them tell me I failed, based only on being on atripla? Would that be possible? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!  :)

Offline findingaway

Re: Disclosing status to potential Employer?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:59:00 pm »
Tell the person taking the drug test, bring in your prescription, and let them know. I would not disclose your medical records to a potential employer. You can always also just tell them you have to take a med that causes a rise in THC and leave it at that, if you want to tell them anything at all.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »
My doctor did a statement saying that I was under her treatment for a medical condition and that one of the medications prescribed could cause a false positive for THC and would need to have a more sensitive and/or confirmatory test done rather then just the standard test.

She gave me the letter to take to the testing place.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:37:40 pm »
My doctor did a statement saying that I was under her treatment for a medical condition and that one of the medications prescribed could cause a false positive for THC and would need to have a more sensitive and/or confirmatory test done rather then just the standard test.

Sounds like good advice to me.  Several years ago my agency was changing insurance and confidentiality with our forms was very lacking.  Details aren't relative to this thread, but I ended up at the HIV/AIDS Legal Aid office and was advised not to disclose my status under any circumstances without first contacting them.  Even though one can't be discriminated agaisnt for being HIV+, we all know how the real world works.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »
I recently had to take a drug test for a client. The company doing the analysis told me that IF I "popped positive" for anything, they would contact me prior to releasing the drug test results to the client. If anything I was being prescribed (Atripla at the time) could be determined to be contributory to a false positive, they would take that into consideration and use any information to "adjust the results accordingly". That being the case, the employer would receive a negative report.

I explained that the med I was on was for HIV and that I did not want the client to be aware of my status. She completely understood and assured me that there was nothing to be concerned about.

Apparently, I didn't show up as positive because I was never contacted by the lab's nurse after I provided the sample.

You may consider having a similar conversation with the testing facility about the process. Just ask them what the protocol is if a prescription med that you are on may influence the test results.

Offline smiteler

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:33:06 pm »
i've taken a few piss tests and passed them on sustiva
i just had to quit smoking pot for a while to do it.  ;D

i wouldn't disclose to any employer potential or otherwise
i made the mistake before and needless to say
the outcome wasn't a good one for me.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »

Great advice. 

Don't tell anyone who doesn't need to know. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline SteveInToronto

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:32:24 pm »
Perhaps it's just the Canadian in me... but why do American employers fixate on drug tests like this? Besides the fact that is isn't their business, why on earth would your employer care if you smoke pot on your own time? How could that compromise your ability to successfully work in an animal shelter (or anywhere for that matter)?

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »
Perhaps it's just the Canadian in me... but why do American employers fixate on drug tests like this? Besides the fact that is isn't their business, why on earth would your employer care if you smoke pot on your own time? How could that compromise your ability to successfully work in an animal shelter (or anywhere for that matter)?

As you're no doubt aware, they also can't keep their noses out of our bedrooms, either.  :P

All in all, I think a lot of us Americans must lead some pretty bland lives so, for excitement, we have to put our noses into other people's business.  ;)

Offline SteveInToronto

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »
As you're no doubt aware, they also can't keep their noses out of our bedrooms, either.  :P

All in all, I think a lot of us Americans must lead some pretty bland lives so, for excitement, we have to put our noses into other people's business.  ;)

Don't get me wrong, I lead a pretty bland life too!  :) But I sure as hell wouldn't piss in a cup for my boss.

Offline smiteler

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:54:53 pm »

like everything else in the us
its all about the dollar  ::)

insurance companies will offer a company a discount on thier rate if
they drug test prospective employees and
also if a accident happens the insurance co will request a drug test.
they just want something/one to blame if something goes wrong so they can
pass the buck on to someone else.

Offline SteveInToronto

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »
like everything else in the us
its all about the dollar  ::)

insurance companies will offer a company a discount on thier rate if
they drug test prospective employees and
also if a accident happens the insurance co will request a drug test.
they just want something/one to blame if something goes wrong so they can
pass the buck on to someone else.

So... if you test positive for contraband, your insurance benefits are cut off? That seems pretty harsh!

Thank dog for our public health insurance program - and good weed!!   ;D

Granny60

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:14:08 pm »
I just had a friend today tell me they resigned from their job in which they had this morning been offered a promotion because they were certain they would not pass the the test. WTF?   I thought it was terrible. If they w were qualified to do the work before  w/o the test, then they were still qualified today, especially given they had satisfactory reviews enough to  be offered a promotion.  I was startled when told why they weren't at work this afternoon.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »
The Place that I went to take the random drug test, back when I worked for the county, told me NOT to come back when I bought in all of my current meds, they said it was just too much of a hassle, and that they would inform my employer as to why I should NOT EVER be tested, the result, I NEVER had to do any of these ever again, but this was about 15 yrs ago, and I lived & worked in CALIFORNIA, so I suppose each State is a little different, as well as who you work for?  :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:18:17 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline smiteler

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 09:43:24 pm »
So... if you test positive for contraband, your insurance benefits are cut off? That seems pretty harsh!

Thank dog for our public health insurance program - and good weed!!   ;D
its not health insurance you will lose
alot of places will request you take a test if a accident happens
if you happen to test positive
the insurance company can then try to deny the liability claim to pay for the damage.
it effects  health insurance by the rate they will charge to the company for it.
i don't think they will take your health insurance away for that.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »

I've never understood why just about every employer goes through the expense of knowing whether you smoke pot when you're not at work.  I'm talking about desk jobs where you aren't using heavy equipment.  They must get some tax cut for doing it.  Otherwise, it is hard to believe they would go through all that expense when I'm sure the vast majority of people pass.  There is no alcohol test of course.  Alcohol is responsible for millions of deaths and so much domestic abuse including child abuse.  

But to your question after getting off topic, I would NOT tell a potential employer.  It is none of their business.  If you test positive, I would consider only then explaining.  I'm not sure I would want to even tell the testing lab.  

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 10:51:33 pm »
Thanks for all the great responses and advice to my post everyone! I feel a lot better about it now. Pretty much everyone seems to have the same consensus...I also spoke with my care coordinator at my clinic and she basically agreed with all of you about not needing to tell a potential employer...Im just gonna have my interview and hope it goes well!! Thanks again all. Xoxo

Granny60

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 12:01:02 am »
Good luck with the job! I would not tell unless at some time your condition requires that they make accommodations for you to be disabilities act compliant.  Drug test wise, I would only tell the testing lab that you are taking meds that will give a false pos. Don't let any of it stress you out.  Go in with confidence that you are the man for the job! Good luck buddy!

Offline littleprince

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:48 am »
I would only cross that bridge if I came to it.

You should also be aware that the drug testing companies usually pass on any information that you tell them to the employer. On the form I fill out for my company drug tests it says that you shouldn't list any drug on the form that you don't want your employer to know about. The employer gets a copy. If you test positive you can then get a confirmation test that will rule out the false positive.

If I ever had to reveal my HIV to a drug tester I would first check if they were a registered nurse. In my state the law prohibits anyone in the medical profession from revealing a persons HIV status. I would remind them of the law and verbally tell them my status. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.