Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:57:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 480
Total: 480

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: should i test?  (Read 5577 times)

Offline wondergirl86

should i test?
« on: May 03, 2008, 12:34:36 pm »
hi i love your page, I'm from Mexico and i am 19 years old,  I'm really really scared i have dated my current bf for 3 years we have sex for the first time like 6 months ago (protected).. we break up 3 months after that but now we are together again.. i trust him but my bestfriend told me yesterday that my boyfriend had a one night stand 2 months ago, when she told me that i really freaked out because we had sex 4 times (all protected and with lube) 8 days ago but we didn't use protection for oral sex and i swallowed :-[. i asked him if it was true and he said that it isn't is but I'm not sure i told him that he needs to be honest with me because I'm afraid of STD and even more of HIV he says that he is telling the truth but i don't understand why my best friend told me that so I'm really scared.. i don't have the money to take an HIV test and its too soon but I'm really scared i will take the test as soon as i can just to have some peace.. what are the odds of me having HIV? i feel really stupid.. i know he isn't is dumb and if he had that one night stand he used protection he always want to use protection and make sure that the condom is Right.. but I'm afraid of every chance... what are the odds for me?.... i know from what i read that HIV trough oral sex is possible but are the odds really high? my best friend she says that it is true but the odds for me are pretty small that everyone has one night stands and nothing have happened to them.. but i know there is a chance i just want to know how high it is but after reading the info at your page I'm convinced that the odds are on my side.. i just have 2 questions..  i know that the condoms didn't break because we checked and he always clean himself after sex is it possible that some of the sperm to stay on lowest part of the penis and put me on risk on HIv? my other question is what are the odds of my bf having HVI after a one night stand protected or unprotected? i asked him to get tested and he said that he will do it as soon as he get money but that its not necessary at all..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: should i test?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 12:42:43 pm »
Wonder,

Hiv transmission through giving a blowjob is purely theoretical and it just doesn't happen in the real world. There are over a dozen different proteins and ezymes in saliva that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

As long as your partner is wearing a condom, you don't need to worry about a bit of sperm on the base of his penis. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

I see no cause for concern where hiv is concerned in anything you have written.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wondergirl86

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 02:15:15 pm »
thank you i really love these page.. so i shouldn't get the test done right? and does he should? i trust him but i just don't know.. I'm like the most paranoiac person in the whole world.  i have another doubt that day he had an open lip because of football if i kissed him am i in risk? what about oral sex?

Offline wondergirl86

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 02:24:22 pm »
as i say I'm very paranoiac.. but i think that most of the posts in here are people like me in very low risk situations right? i have read almost the entire forum and most of them are advice not to test I'm just wondering does anyone in a very low risk have been tested HIV +?  do you know someone who used a condom and tested HIV +? i promise these are my last questions.. you guys have helped me a lot yesterday i couldn't sleep until i read this page. (sorry for my English)  =)
how much does it costs a HIV (from saliva or those of 20 min) test at a planned parenthood center? im planning to go to the USA in the next weeks. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 02:40:09 pm »
A condom use consistently and correctly will always provide 100% protection.

Offline wondergirl86

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 05:29:40 pm »
as i say I'm very paranoiac.. but i think that most of the posts in here are people like me in very low risk situations right? i have read almost the entire forum and most of them are advice not to test I'm just wondering does anyone in a very low risk have been tested HIV +?  do you know someone who used a condom and tested HIV +? i promise these are my last questions.. you guys have helped me a lot yesterday i couldn't sleep until i read this page. (sorry for my English)  =)
how much does it costs a HIV (from saliva or those of 20 min) test at a planned parenthood center? im planning to go to the USA in the next weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:01:15 pm »
Wonder,

I think the word you're looking for is paranoid, not paranoiac. ;)

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

This shows us two things. One, condoms are very effective for the prevention of hiv transmission. Two, oral sex is much lower risk than previously believed. We now have the evidence that oral sex is a very, VERY low risk activity where hiv transmission is concerned. It's as close to NO RISK as you can get.

If you've never tested for hiv, then maybe you should. NOT because of your recent oral sex, but because we recommend that any sexually active person should test for hiv at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

Would I expect you to test positive, from what you're written? NO! But routine testing is what responsible adults do. When your boyfriend goes to test, I suggest you go with him and that the two of you get tested for all STIs, not just hiv.

As for pricing, it varies from place to place.

You're worrying over nothing. If you've never had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with anyone, I fully expect you would test hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wondergirl86

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:20:27 pm »
i will test as soon as i can, if i had sex 8 days ago when should a test be reliable?... so there is absolutely no risk of giving him oral sex and swallowed even if i had a small cut on my lip right?  i have been reading all over the internet and i keep founding sites that say that HIV is possible trough oral.. i don't want to believe that but i just read an article about gay man at san francisco that scared me a lot..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 06:54:52 am »
Wonder,

When there has been a real risk, the window period is three months. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. However, a six week negative must be confirmed at three months.

You don't need to test over the blowjob, so as long as you're testing three months or more after your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, your result will be conclusive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wondergirl86

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:26:59 pm »
hii. it has been almost 6 weeks since the day i had unprotected oral sex with  my bf t hat im almost sure he is negative, my best friend who told me that he had sex with other girl told me that she wasnt sure about what she heard and she thinks that everything was just a rumor.. but im still a little scared so im going to test this week or maybe the next.. will the test be reliablee.. i had no symphtoms which i think i would because i am very nervous

Offline wondergirl86

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:28:18 pm »
also im from mexico do you guys know if i need to see a doctor before i test or can i go to a private laboratory on my own?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 04:17:10 am »
Wonder,

While you really don't need to test over this blowjob, you'll have to call somewhere and ask about the proceedure for testing yourself. If you go to the Aidsmap database of worldwide organisations, you can enter Mexico into the drop down list (leave the others blank) and click search to find somewhere to call near you.

http://www.aidsmap.com/cms1038779.asp

As long as you've not been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse or sharing street drug injecting needles, then I fully expect your results to be negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.