Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:25:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Lymphangitis  (Read 11800 times)

Offline stillsick

Lymphangitis
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:30:23 pm »
Hi all,

I used to post on the old website as SimonLee but have forgotten by old login details, hence I had to set a new one up. I apologise in advance for doing so. For the past few months, I have stayed away from Aidsmeds hoping I can free myself from the HIV merry-go-round I have been on for too long. Sadly, I'm back on the ride again.

Since my unfortunate exposure, I have never felt well again. I have rapid tested out to 58 weeks and needless to say, all have been negative. I have not had a PCR test following the advice of Ann. My health has deteriorated drastically in the past few months. I'm constantly down with colds and struggle to recover from every bout I catch. For example, I had a sore throat once and it took me 5 months to shrug it, and now, I have had a dry cough from a cold for about 4 weeks and it doesn't look like it's about to end any time soon. I've been to the doctors each time and even he is baffled why none of the medication has been effective. My suspicion is that my body is struggling to fight any viral attacks due to HIV eating away at my white blood cells. Other ailment I have been experiencing include dyshidrosis, continual weight loss, achy muscles, permanent bloodshot eyes, white tongue, constant throat clearing etc.

Please believe me I really don't want to come back here to ask for your help. I really am desperate and wonder if any of you think I may still be infected and not be detected on the tests I have taken?

Thanks for your time.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Chronically ill
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:12:46 pm »
Eight weeks with a negative result. I don't think it will change in 5 more weeks. All your symptoms are lasting way longer than the symptoms you get with ARS.

Offline rick_nh

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:15 pm »
Rod, just to clarify: stillsick said he tested negative at 58 weeks (not 8). I'd say that's conclusively negative!

Offline stillsick

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:14:08 am »
Hi ricknh,
I guess my question is: despite a 58wk negative, should I still be concerned that my chronic cough and dyshidrosis could be due to HIV? It seems like most other people don't exhibit the symptoms i do... my symptoms just never seem to end! I'm constantly ill. Even for HIV+ individual who have been diagnosed for one year, do they generally fight off illnesses quickly? or, do people (like me) struggle to recover?
Thank u

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 03:17:33 am »
58 week negative?

Under NO circumstances could you POSSIBLY have HIV.

The testing window is 13 weeks. Period.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 05:12:46 am »
Thanks Rick for catching my mistake. As everyone told you you are Negative.

Offline Ronnie99

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 06:08:01 am »
stillsick: You might consider visiting an Infectious Disease (ID) physician. He/she can help find out what is going on with you. There are chronic infections that can affect people for a long time and being fixated on HIV might prevent you from finding out what is truly going on with your body. Best of luck to you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 06:12:43 am »
Ronnie99, I believe you were told not to post in any threads other than your own.

Offline Ronnie99

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 06:13:57 am »
RapidRod: I was told not to hijack a thread, Something you do all the time by the way.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:19:26 am »
I asure you when you know half of what any of us know, you still would not be qualified to give advise to anyone.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 06:29:16 am »
Ronnie,

You were told to stay in your own thread. Check your PMs.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ronnie99

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 07:40:57 pm »
Actually, as I recall my thread was locked. Can't post there anymore.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 07:54:33 pm »
Actually your thread is not lock.

Offline stillsick

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 10:07:41 pm »
I appreciate your comments JK, RR, Rick. I'm sorry to bug you all. Should I really not be concerned WHATSOEVER about HIV? It frightens me a little because it just seems like I never fully recover from illnesses anymore and my conditions are always chronic. Furthermore, I have started (for the first time in my life) develop autoimmune conditions such as dyshidrosis. I still have suspicions I am a late seroconverter... Do HIV+ people usually take much longer to recover from illnesses in their first and second year of infection? Sincerely

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 02:16:54 am »
Still,

If you're ill you need to see a doctor. We cannot help you any further. You have been told umpteen times that HIV is not a concern for you. I urge you to read our Welcome Thread and take your health issues (which have nothing to do with HIV) to your doctor.

MtD

Offline stillsick

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 04:14:07 am »
I'm sorry to be back again... I was feeling fine trying to control my fears and then my composure fell apart yet again.

I read on the following website: http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/insite?page=ask-01-03-04, that Dr Mark Holodniy has stated that he estimated that late seroconversion happens and that he knows or has read of around 65-70.

Can anyone verify that?

Depressed.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 05:17:34 am »
Here is the answer from link you posted:

The person most able to help you deal with your questions would be a counselor or therapist. I urge you to contact one as soon as possible.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 05:24:49 am by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 05:23:26 am »
Still,

The Q&A you linked us to isn't even one of Dr H's. But you know what? The answer fits your situation perfectly.

Clearly, however, this experience has left you with a lot of stress and emotional uncertaincy. Do not look to lab tests to resolve these issues. These are cognitive and emotional problems, not virological problems. These worries are clearly having a very big impact on your ability to live with yourself and other people. The person most able to help you deal with your questions would be a counselor or therapist. I urge you to contact one as soon as possible.

You have a 58 week negative. That's over a year. The window period is 12-13 weeks and you are absolutely, reliably hiv negative. It's high time you not only went to your doctor with your concerns, but also went to a mental health care professional to get to the bottom of what is really troubling you. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

There is nothing more we can do for you here. Please read the Welcome Thread and take note of the posting guidelines. You will not be allowed to repeatedly come here to question your conclusive, negative results.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline stillsick

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 05:29:57 am »
Hi Ann, I have in fact been seeking advice from a psychologist about this. However, I have found it quite useless and discontinued it after two months. Not to mention, it was costing me a lot of money. Deep down I know I am positive, even though my tests so far has indicated otherwise. I am either a late late seroconverter or a non-converter altogether. When I was younger, I was down with dengue and malaria (mosquito-borne diseases). Does that suggest poor bodily immune system? Even though I have been relatively sick-free prior to the time of my exposure, I have been ill intermittently for over a year now. My throat is often inflammed for months at a time. Colds plague me every month. I've developed psoriasis and dyshiodrotic ezcema out of nowhere! My tongue has remained furry. Not to mention my fever at 10 days after exposure sitll sends shivers down my spine. Etcera etcera. Now, my girlfriend whom I have had unprotected sex with after my 3-month test has now lost significant amounts of weight. She is often ill and has had chronic blocked throat for 5 months now. I'm worried about her. She is faithful unlike me the bastard. Does any of these ring any panic alarms at all? Do you still think that I'm HIV- or do you think I warrant a PCR test now? Sorry to bother you, I really don't have anyone to speak to about this now. You have been very kind. Thank you, Stillsick.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 08:22:43 am »
You don't need a PCR test, you're are negative. This forum can no longer be of any help to you. You are beyond the scope and help of this forum. I wish you luck in your endever.

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 08:30:08 am »
Hi Ann, I have in fact been seeking advice from a psychologist about this. However, I have found it quite useless and discontinued it after two months. Not to mention, it was costing me a lot of money. Deep down I know I am positive, even though my tests so far has indicated otherwise.

I'm worried about her. She is faithful unlike me the bastard. Does any of these ring any panic alarms at all? Do you still think that I'm HIV- or do you think I warrant a PCR test now? Sorry to bother you, I really don't have anyone to speak to about this now. You have been very kind. Thank you, Stillsick.

Stillsick

The thing with mental problems is, that you are in no position to decide whether it is useless or not.

In the very next line you are writing that you know deep inside you are positive. I am sorry sir, but you cannot know....The test prove otherwise.

Secondly, read your quotes I took out of your previous post. You are referring to yourself as a bastard because you have been unfaithful.

Mental problems often constitute themself physically. Thatīs where the term psychosomatic is coming from.

Many individuals who are suffering from depression for example have lots of physical symptoms, the source however is mentally.

You are HIV negative, but you need help.

Start again with a counselor, maybe anotherone, but you need to get counseling. Seriously.

I say this out of compassion not to criticize.

Best regards

Darkfiber

Offline stillsick

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 02:05:01 am »
DarkFiber,

I apologise for not acknowledging your post. I read your post very carefully and found your comments most useful. After reading, I took some time off from my obsessive googling for symptoms and HIV tests. I especially appreciate highlighting to me the bit about psychosomatic symptoms. Please believe me, I'm trying very extremely bloody hard to shake off my fears (I am still...). I feel I'm improving slowly but it hasn't been easy. I wish to also post an URL that was helpful for me: http://www.minddisorders.com/Py-Z/Stress.html which talks about stress and its effect on lymph nodes. I have read numerous articles about how stress DOESN'T affect lymph nodes, but I think it probably does. Anyway, thanks and I hope never to post here again. I can only live to hope.

Stillsick (now 15 months negative...)

Offline stillsick

Lymphangitis
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 01:48:18 am »
I'll keep it short.

I've just been diagnosed with lymphangitis. And recently I rapid-tested myself for HIV1/2 (2-yrs after exposure) and it was negative. I also took an Amplicor HIV PCR-DNA qualitative test at about 1-year mark and it was negative as well. I was wondering if my recent diagnosis is cause for concerns to doubt my negative tests?

Appreciate input from the resident experts.

Thank you.

Offline Central79

Re: Lymphangitis
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 05:01:57 am »
Dear Still

No - your tests are conclusive and you are HIV negative. Lymphangitis occurs in a diverse bunch of people, most of whom are fit and well before developing it. It's a bacterial infection which if caught early enough is extremely treatable.

Best wishes with your recovery.

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Lymphangitis
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 06:50:00 am »
Still,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You are hiv negative. Whatever is causing your lymphangitis has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.