Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 331
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian again.  (Read 7442 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian again.
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:51:56 pm »
Well... technically a pescetarian. 

One whose only meat product is seafood.  I heart seafood longtime.

But yes... I've been thinking about the great amounts of money (and fat) I saved while being veg... and it's seeming like an increasingly attractive dietary option again.

It inherently limited my resto options, which meant I had to cook for myself mostly, and tofu and tempeh are much cheaper and healthier than meat.

Plus, I remember the joy of cooking with tofu... because I didn't have to wash my hands every five minutes to kill potentially mutated E. coli and salmonella. 

I have no moral problems whatsoever with eating meat... in fact, I enjoy eating animals... but I think it would be a wise decision for me financially and health-wise.  My family has a history of heart trouble and high cholesterol (no cancer though... no joke... there is absolutely no cancer in my family), and I'm starting to think that this might be a good idea.

Plus, it kept me attractively thin since it eliminated all fast food options. 

Vanity is such a persuasive argument with me.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline izprince1984

Re: I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian again.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 12:10:12 am »
Vanity is not something I'm big on, I figure no matter what you do, it fades anyway, I'm a few pounds over, not a cow or anything though.

I can't stand people that are obsessed with looks.
ryan@ryan-desktop:~$ apt-get moo
         (__)
         (oo)
   /------\/
  / |    ||   
 *  /\---/\
    ~~   ~~   
...."Have you mooed today?"...

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:13:03 am »
Vanity is not something I'm big on, I figure no matter what you do, it fades anyway, I'm a few pounds over, not a cow or anything though.

I can't stand people that are obsessed with looks.

I'm so vain, I know this song is about me.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:14:56 am »
Milker initially thought that you were turning straight. But then Milker saw the "joy of tofu" paragraph.

Milker thinks you need help. Anyone that has "joy with tofu" should be carefully checked.

Milker (who thinks Tofu is absolutely disgusting)
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 12:17:07 am »
Freezing tofu gives it a nicer texture.

And tofu is flavorless!  It's like hating water! 

The bean curd takes on the flavor of what you're cooking it in. 

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 12:18:33 am »
Freezing tofu gives it a nicer texture.

You're a sick person

Milker.  :D :D :D :D :D :D (who really hates Tofu)
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:45:25 am »
tofu is supremely disgusting
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:15:26 am »
Vegetarianism fundamentally offensive and so are those who practice it. All of them. Without exception. Matty the Damned has never met a vegetarian who was worth giving even half a shit about.

That said, Benji this really isn't a discussion about vegetarianism since (and as you note in your OP) because you'll still be eating seafood. The issue here is one of those limp-wristed "red meat is icky" type affairs.

Whatever, I counsel you to continue eating red meat. For the sheer meaness of it, if nothing else.

MtD

Offline izprince1984

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 01:18:52 am »
Vegetarianism fundamentally offensive and so are those who practice it. All of them. Without exception. Matty the Damned has never met a vegetarian who was worth giving even half a shit about.

That said, Benji this really isn't a discussion about vegetarianism since (and as you note in your OP) because you'll still be eating seafood. The issue here is one of those limp-wristed "red meat is icky" type affairs.

Whatever, I counsel you to continue eating red meat. For the sheer meaness of it, if nothing else.

MtD

I think I like you.

If you're ever in the area, lets go have a drink.
         (__)
         (oo)
   /------\/
  / |    ||   
 *  /\---/\
    ~~   ~~   

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 02:57:46 am »
I think I like you.

If you're ever in the area, lets go have a drink.

Agreed. I'll have a JD. Neat.

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 03:10:12 am »
!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 07:31:02 am »
What's wrong with a little benj and purge...keeps you thin and allows you to have your meat and eat it too. Eight million teenage girls can't be wrong.

Offline bravebuddharich

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 08:14:47 am »
I've been a vegetarian for 16 years. Partly for reasons of deeply caring about animals, partly for health reasons. I was at my healthiest when I was completely vegan - have had a hard time with getting back to that point, I'm at about 95% vegan. It's fun to know that I am hated for this, btw!

I've been inside factory farms and seen how almost all meat is made, processed, etc. It's wrong in every single possible way.

I love tofu! It absorbs flavors and is healthy. Tempeh is even better! There are so many different products and things to eat!!

I hope more and more people embrace vegetarian and vegan diets! Over 10 billion animals will thank you and so will your body! And I'll say one more thing: don't cave in to peer pressure - it's the right thing to do.

Metta,
Rich

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 08:39:20 am »
Well, you all know I've been reading, and researching a great deal about this subject over the last couple months or so. The journey has been interesting, from the standpoint that I would have to completely re-learn all of my cooking habits to venture into this kind of commitment.
For me, it doesn't have much to do with animal activism, as much as it does my health status. With a ginormous maternal history of cancer, coronary artery disease, and obesity, plus given the financial concerns, i have been making small steps in that direction.
Like Benj, I never eat from restaurants, or fast food(save the occasional Domino's veg pizza), and I prefer to prepare my own food.     ...of course, being dirt poor is a significant factor, but I was like this even before I became dirt poor.
You just have to know that you don't have much of a life when making a field trip to the local Whole Foods store for reconnaissance is an exciting exercise.
I enjoy meat. Especially a perfectly prepared steak, and fried chicken....mmmmmmmmmm, but the obesity is looming in the fore of my mind most these days.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 08:56:57 am »
I agree about all the : eat fresh, cook fresh, buy often so its not stored. But I have to tell you Benj:  that HIV issues often dictate what your diet is and not the other way around. Researching what is the best diet for you at this stage of HIV is a good thing.
Some people with HIV can only eat meat for the protein because of absorbsion issues and fat issues.............. I understand.
Modified to add:  Its necessary to accept that you can no longer make decisions independent of your HIV.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 09:14:17 am »
An excellent point Bear.
I think a vegan lifestyle is still possible for even the most impaired immune sytem, but it does involve a great deal of hard work.
Keeping gallon bottles of the bleach/water vegetable wash on hand to clean the fresh veg, and insuring plenty of protein by the use of legumes, and textured veg protein,tofu, or tempeh would still make it do-able if one is committed.
I submit that people who choose this lifestyle for animal cruelty reasons, have been at it long enough to know their way around immune issues.     But I am still learning.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 01:02:22 pm »
I was as at my healthiest when I was completely vegan - have had a hard time with getting back to that point, I'm at about 95% vegan. It's fun to know that I am hated for this, btw!

I don't "hate" vegetarians for not eating meat, but some people do.  I hope
vegetarians wouldn't hate me for eating meat, but again, some people do.
From what I have experienced, discussions between vegetarians and meat-eaters
usually break down because each retreats to their own position, often smugly
taking pleasure in the other animosity of those who hold a different position.

I think folks should eat what makes them healthy, and contributes to their
well-being.  It's not going to be the same for everyone.  I avoid telling anyone
what they should or should not eat -- it is far too personal a choice.

Regards,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 01:16:54 pm »
I was hardcore vegetarian for a while. Not vegan though. I like milk too much.

At first I felt shitty and had less energy but after a while (like when I actually started watching what I was eating and eating healthily :P) I felt a lot better. But at the time I was actually underweight and it made it more difficult to keep my weight up. So I stopped, not just for that but for a few other reasons. I didn't find it any more difficult than eating a balanced diet WHILE eating meat. I don't and never did eat fast food. It's pretty much gross. The only thing I'll eat from McDonalds or something is french fries or chicken if my friends are eating there and I don't have a choice.

My dad and I cook mostly at home. I've actually been gaining weight since I stopped throwing up all the time, hahaha. So now I have to watch what I eat. It'd probably be a good idea for me at this point to cut down on meat but not get rid of it completely. My health in general is a thousand times better than it was back then, though, but it had nothing to do with my diet.

Offline izprince1984

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 01:20:07 pm »
         (__)
         (oo)
   /------\/
  / |    ||   
 *  /\---/\
    ~~   ~~   

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 06:07:19 pm »
I tried eating more vegetarian foods at one point. I was trying to control my cholesterol. It didn't work because it wasn't my diet that was the cause.

It also is extremely difficult to adhere to if you are gluten intolerant, as I am. Once you cut out all foods that contain wheat, oats or barley, or any derivative thereof, it already reduces your food choices.

If I cut out all animal products as well, I would be left with rice and vegetables, which isn't much of a diet.

Also, I used to love tofu - when I was a smoker. Now that I have quit (buy the way, its been 80 some-odd days now), things have changed.

Things I used to like or at least didn't dislike now are unpalatable. So I am just now getting used to eating all over again.

I do have a question though. Given that many people who are positive are prone to GI difficulties, how do you eat copious amounts of legumes (for the protein) without causing yourself severe unpleasantness and those who stand between you and the bathroom an injury?

I know its been a problem for me in the past which is why I am very cautious about eating beans.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 06:39:23 pm »
Quote Aztecan:"Also, I used to love tofu - when I was a smoker. Now that I have quit (buy the way, its been 80 some-odd days now), things have changed.

Things I used to like or at least didn't dislike now are unpalatable. So I am just now getting used to eating all over again.
"
Yup, taste is very very very ad nauseum important.  When my former partner had PCP and then had to inhale aerosolized pentamidine, he lost ALL taste for vegetarian foods. It was meat and potatoes and pasta that satisfied him and that was that.  Most people back then ate what they wanted anyway cause they were only gonna live a couple more years.

Lisa honey...you are an inspiration to us all. Love you!!!!!!!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 08:18:39 pm »
Richmond is full of vegans.

They're students... quite militant and extremely annoying.

I've never understood the point of being moralistic about what one shoves down one's throat. 

My operating theory is that they're bored.

Offline izprince1984

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 02:02:14 pm »
Richmond is full of vegans.

They're students... quite militant and extremely annoying.

I've never understood the point of being moralistic about what one shoves down one's throat. 

My operating theory is that they're bored.

Meat is murder! The Cow is a slave! FIGHT THE OCCUPATION!!!
         (__)
         (oo)
   /------\/
  / |    ||   
 *  /\---/\
    ~~   ~~   

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 02:59:59 pm »
Benj -
Check out the Mediterranean diet (veggies, seafood and olive oil).  It's better for you and people won't sneer at you for being a vegetarian. 

Tom
(A vegetarian who likes steaks too !)
 ;D
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 01:44:21 am »
One does wonder many have such a strong reaction to a minority group?  All the militant vegans prancing about like starving shrews with automatic weapons and hand grenades baptising everyone in soy milk...  I am sorry I wish this were the case, but I just don't see it. 

Regardless, my health (aside from HIV, cats and meds) kicks ass at the over ripe age of 39.  I do brag that my muscle is 100% vegetable.  Who would have thought such virility and manhood could be spawned from lentils and broccoli?

Here is a good website for the inquisitive created by doctors... http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/index.html

Drew

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 09:48:31 am »
Who would have thought such virility and manhood could be spawned from lentils and broccoli?
:o :o :o

So grocery shopping.. lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli what else?

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Dan J.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:14 am »
:o :o :o

So grocery shopping.. lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli lentils broccoli what else?

Milker.

Don't forget to add some Beano (for flatulence) to that shopping list. LOL
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 11:54:29 am by Dan J. »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.