Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:46:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 598
Total: 598

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Passed out at dinner...Normal, though, of course!  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Maestro

Passed out at dinner...Normal, though, of course!
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:04:32 pm »
So latest from the Uncle...After his arm going numb for 24 hours last week, and his feet swelling up and being very painful, now I have this.  He was at dinner last night, and when he stood up to leave he passed out...Woke up a few minutes later and they took him to the emergency room.  Doc's did some tests and gave him something for blood clots in case it was a stroke...AND THEN...he left the hospital.  And now he is driving around San Diego, just waiting to pass out again.

So be warned if you are driving around Encinitas.  Of course, trying to get more info from him is damn near impossible.  According to him, he's doing great!  Why would he stay in and take it easy?  Oye.

Do these meds have any correlation to strokes?  Off hand, he is taking Kaletra, Ziagen, Invirase, shit load of oxycontin, bactrim, and many more.

M

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: Passed out at dinner...Normal, though, of course!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:05:50 pm »
some people shouldn't be on the roads. 

It's like a health hazard or something to other people.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:42:19 pm »
Your uncle is a very willful guy. From what you have reported previously he tends to be in denial about a number of big things in his life including his addiction to pharmaceutical drugs.

What to do? What you have described of this latest thing, passing out, means he is a danger to himself as well as to others when he is driving. Have you discussed it with his doctor? Does the doctor agree and does he/she have any influence with your uncle. He sure as hell doesn't sound like anyone who should be driving.

Would it make any difference to him if you said you will not ride with him if he's driving? Just last week I heard of one family in which the elderly husband had a stroke while driving and insisted on driving (erratically) home. His wife and daughter have taken his car keys and he's not allowed to drive anymore.

How would you like to see the situation addressed?
Andy Velez

Offline edfu

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:02:11 pm »
When my mother was in the early stages of Alzheimer's, she refused to stop driving but kept getting lost, even on the way to the supermarket or to her church.  My sister and brother and I  staged an "intervention."  We distracted her, got possession of the car keys, and drove the car away from her home.  And that was the end of her driving.  There was much angst at the time, of course, but nothing compared to her horrific decline to advanced Alzheimer's.  I believe we did the right thing.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:33:40 am »
I hope you are keeping a diary...or at least printing out your posts to show the doctor.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Maestro

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 10:21:35 am »
Your uncle is a very willful guy. From what you have reported previously he tends to be in denial about a number of big things in his life including his addiction to pharmaceutical drugs.

What to do? What you have described of this latest thing, passing out, means he is a danger to himself as well as to others when he is driving. Have you discussed it with his doctor? Does the doctor agree and does he/she have any influence with your uncle. He sure as hell doesn't sound like anyone who should be driving.

Would it make any difference to him if you said you will not ride with him if he's driving? Just last week I heard of one family in which the elderly husband had a stroke while driving and insisted on driving (erratically) home. His wife and daughter have taken his car keys and he's not allowed to drive anymore.

How would you like to see the situation addressed?

Andy,

I never drive with him.  He is in San Diego and I am in Tampa.  However, when we went to bring him home, I did all the driving.  I don't doubt that when coherent he can drive, it's the passing out that can happen that worries us.

How would I like it addressed?  No idea.

Steve

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.